ADVERTISEMENT

How many points will we have to score against Clemson?

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
Vegas has us at a 3.5 favorite at this posting. They are talking over\under at 65.5, which tells me the betting line will be who ever scores 33 or so will win. I think this game could go a lot lower. I'm seeing more a 24-21 type game.

Both offenses are going to be rusty after a 4+ week layoff. I hope I'm wrong, at least on OU's part.

What you think....High or low?

Vegas has us at a 3.5 favorite at this posting. They are talking over\under at 65.5, which tells me the betting line will be who ever scores 33 or so will win. I think this game could go a lot lower. I'm seeing more a 24-21 type game.

Both offenses are going to be rusty after a 4+ week layoff. I hope I'm wrong, at least on OU's part.

OU did not face a QB of Watson's ability all year as TCU, Baylor and OSU were without their starting QBs.....one of whom was a Heisman candidate (Boykin, TCU).
Therefore, I believe OU must score at least 28 points in this game.....and the defense will have to play its best game of the season.
This game with Clemson is a very win-able game for OU and the focus should be more about playing well rather than revenge.....revenge is for the fans to prioritize. Stoops and company have bigger fish to fry.

I think OU needs to score at least 40 points to win, hope I'm wrong, but with such a long layoff and the fact OU has a history of struggling against athletic QBs that can throw, it might take 40 to win.

Reactions: ESPiam
Funny to hear all the "we have not faced a player like Watson all year". The Sooners have more quality offensive players than Clemson has and they have certainly not faced that kind of talent all year. Why all the worry about Watson. He'll make a few plays but they will need to score over 50 to win and good luck with that with our defense playing so well. Baker, Shepard, Perine (who had a very good game against Clemson last year except for a fumble) and Mixon will explain it to them. I'll take Sooner good over Clemson good every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Can we lose, yes, but Clemson will need to get all the breaks. This team will be too focused to allow that to happen.

Boomer Sooner

OU did not face a QB of Watson's ability all year as TCU, Baylor and OSU were without their starting QBs.....one of whom was a Heisman candidate (Boykin, TCU).
Therefore, I believe OU must score at least 28 points in this game.....and the defense will have to play its best game of the season.
This game with Clemson is a very win-able game for OU and the focus should be more about playing well rather than revenge.....revenge is for the fans to prioritize. Stoops and company have bigger fish to fry.
Although we didn't play those guys, our defense was designed to defend them and I don't know that the replacements were all that bad

Reactions: ESPiam
Both teams will likely be a little rusty on offense after a 4 week layoff so I am expecting a low scoring affair. Something like a 28-23 type game.

Reactions: FreeSC
Funny to hear all the "we have not faced a player like Watson all year". The Sooners have more quality offensive players than Clemson has and they have certainly not faced that kind of talent all year. Why all the worry about Watson. He'll make a few plays but they will need to score over 50 to win and good luck with that with our defense playing so well. Baker, Shepard, Perine (who had a very good game against Clemson last year except for a fumble) and Mixon will explain it to them. I'll take Sooner good over Clemson good every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Can we lose, yes, but Clemson will need to get all the breaks. This team will be too focused to allow that to happen.

Boomer Sooner
I did not say "player"......I said quarterback.....and OU's defense against TCU, Baylor and OSU was helped greatly by the absences of Boykin, Russell and Rudolph.

Several have picked this to be a low-scoring game. I too think the defenses will prevail in the first half, with a score of 13-10 or something like that. Offenses will get untracked in the second half, but the winner will be luck to score 30 points. I just hope it's OU and we have one more point than Clemson.

I would say a game similar to Baylor and to win we have to score 40 plus

It's going to be a great game! Both offenses will sputter at times and both offenses will make the opposing defense look stupid at moments. No doubt in my mind that either team better be prepared to put up 40+ to win this one.

Don't kill me, but I think the Clemson game is a toss up. Why? Because neither team will have played for weeks. OU even longer than the Tigers. The team that can regain that game ready attitude and focus from November will have the upper hand. I really give the Sooners a better chance if we get to the title game game. In other words, I think we have as good a chance as Clemson, but no better. 50-50 isn't all that bad.

Reactions: iasooner1
Both teams are going to be able to move the ball. Mayfield is a good one and throws strikes on the run, very hard to defend. Watson throws the deep ball with very good accuracy. First one to 40 wins, 42-35 or so imo.

It seems anytime we collectively expect fireworks in a game, it turns out like someone peed on the powder bags. I guess I'm in the 'low score' crowd. 28-17 or something similar.

WNAS is probably really close. But there might be an inverse relationship in how much we score and how little they do. So if we scored say 45, we wouldn't have needed 39, because if OUr offense is playing the well, then they'll not score as much.

I believe the number is around 35 or 36. If I had to bet on it, I'd take the higher number. I believe the long break favors Clemson a little, just because it's been only four weeks for them, rather than five. And they'll have a bigger crowd for noise there. I believe it will be really close. I also don't think we can win if we don't pass 30. And that's not a given. We should be really close to all hands on deck.

Whichever defense tackles the best and which quarterback plays best, is likely to be the team that advances.

I think the offense will be fine. It's the defense and lack of tackling for a month, that worries me. I say take the ball 1st let them miss a tackle or two and put Clemson on there heels

Boomer Sooner

That is a non educated comment. This is rivals, so go back the last 4-5 years of points. Clemson has higher rated players on both sides of the ball.
On offense:
Deshaun Watson was a 5 star
Deon Cain WR was a 5 star
Mitch Hyatt,OT was a top 50 overall player
Artavis Scott WR was a high 4 star
Charone Peake WR was a high 4
Ray Ray McLeod WR was a 5 star
Crowder OL was a 4 and top 100
MacLain OL was a 4
Garrett Williams TE was a high 4 star
Trevion Thompson WR was a high 4 star
Germone Hopper WR was a 4 star
Tyshon Dye RB was a 4 star
Zac Brooks RB was a 4 star
Gallman RB was a high 3 or low 4

On D:
Wilkins DT was a 5 star
Carlos Watkins DT was a high 4 star
Shaq Lawson DE was a 4 but might as well say 5
Boulware LB a 4 star
Alexander CB a high 4 and top 50 overall
Tankersly CB a 4 star
Kearse S was a 4 star
Pagano DT was a 4 star
Travis Blanks S was a high 4 star
Austin Bryant DE was a 4 star
Mark Fields CB was a 4 star
Dorian O'Daniel LB was a 4 star
Albert Huggins was a high 4 star

Boomer Sooner

FSUs talent is sick if wanna do a comparison with them. NDs not so shabby either

That is a non educated comment. This is rivals, so go back the last 4-5 years of points. Clemson has higher rated players on both sides of the ball.
On offense:
Deshaun Watson was a 5 star
Deon Cain WR was a 5 star
Mitch Hyatt,OT was a top 50 overall player
Artavis Scott WR was a high 4 star
Charone Peake WR was a high 4
Ray Ray McLeod WR was a 5 star
Crowder OL was a 4 and top 100
MacLain OL was a 4
Garrett Williams TE was a high 4 star
Trevion Thompson WR was a high 4 star
Germone Hopper WR was a 4 star
Tyshon Dye RB was a 4 star
Zac Brooks RB was a 4 star
Gallman RB was a high 3 or low 4

On D:
Wilkins DT was a 5 star
Carlos Watkins DT was a high 4 star
Shaq Lawson DE was a 4 but might as well say 5
Boulware LB a 4 star
Alexander CB a high 4 and top 50 overall
Tankersly CB a 4 star
Kearse S was a 4 star
Pagano DT was a 4 star
Travis Blanks S was a high 4 star
Austin Bryant DE was a 4 star
Mark Fields CB was a 4 star
Dorian O'Daniel LB was a 4 star
Albert Huggins was a high 4 star

If you ever moved to Oklahoma, you'd make a fine OSU fan.

Who the hell cares about star ratings?

Since 2009, Clemson's record is 70-23, or .753
Since 2009, OU's record is 70-21, or .769

The scoreboard talks, the rest is just noise.

If you ever moved to Oklahoma, you'd make a fine OSU fan.

Who the hell cares about star ratings?

Since 2009, Clemson's record is 70-23, or .753
Since 2009, OU's record is 70-21, or .769

The scoreboard talks, the rest is just noise.

We (learned) Sooner fans don't ascribe to the player star system...here's why.

Our last two Heisman winners, Jason White and Sammie Bradford were both 3 stars out of HS.

That pretty much renders any debate about it moot.:D

High, and > the number of points Clemson scores.

Our last two Heisman winners, Jason White and Sammie Bradford were both 3 stars out of HS.

Actually, you might be interested to know the following:
If you looked at the four teams in last year's playoff;
compared their average recruiting rankings for the last 4 years;
Want to know what you would find?

3 of the 4 teams in last years' playoff would rank 1, 2, and 3 in average recruiting rankings.
The only exception was Oregon.

Don't tell me recruiting doesn't matter.

It isn't everything. But it matters HUGE.

These Clemson fans are skeered. I can read between the lines in their posts.
I don't think so. Respectful, not scared.

Here's a question for you:
Oklahoma is about to face, by FAR, the best defense they have faced all year. Not my opinion; it's just NCAA statistics.

Could you not logically conclude that your offensive output will be one of, if not THE, lowest offensive outputs this year?

True, any individual star rating can definitely be off. That doesn't mean Rival's HS prospect evaluation is totally worthless AT ALL.

Conversely, there is a VERY strong relationship between team recruiting and team performance.
There's a reason why Alabama and Ohio State and Florida State were all in the playoff last year.

They recruit like GANGBUSTERS! To be specific, their average recruiting ranking over the last 4 years would rate them 1, 2, and 3 nationally.

Image that! The 3 best recruiting teams were all in last years 4 team playoff!

I'm sorry, but the data proves otherwise.

I don't think so. Respectful, not scared.

Here's a question for you:
Oklahoma is about to face, by FAR, the best defense they have faced all year. Not my opinion; it's just NCAA statistics.

Could you not logically conclude that your offensive output will be one of, if not THE, lowest offensive outputs this year?

It's not on OU that Clemson's defense hasn't played powerful offenses all year. The sooner you stop using contrived stats to bolster your confidence, the better you'll feel.

It shouldn't be assumed that Oklahoma faced the country's best O's either, especially when considering that with the top teams they played everyone's backup QB.

An undefeated team is an undefeated team. We sure as heck didn't ask anyone to vote FSU, ND, and UNC in the top 10. Oklahoma has a great team. If we win it will be the 4th team we weren't supposed to beat this year

It shouldn't be assumed that Oklahoma faced the country's best O's either, especially when considering that with the top teams they played everyone's backup QB.

If that makes you feel better, okay.

OU beat Tulsa, who is statistically closest to Clemson's offense, in week 3. They had everyone playing then. We also rolled them.

We also beat #2 total offense Texas Tech with their best on the field. Guess what? Rolled them too.

Last edited:
Texas Techs D is the worst in the country correct? The Clemson D is top 10. To think you're going North of 30 well it's possible, but they will get there's too. The fact of the matter is a team without the quality talent such as a Tulsa is operating full scheme, not on blow by you talent. Each one one of the guys Oklahoma faces on the 31st will be as equally gifted as they are, both sides of the ball.

Texas Techs D is the worst in the country correct? The Clemson D is top 10. To think you're going North of 30 well it's possible, but they will get there's too. The fact of the matter is a team without the quality talent such as a Tulsa is operating full scheme, not on blow by you talent. Each one one of the guys Oklahoma faces on the 31st will be as equally gifted as they are, both sides of the ball.

You're talking in circles. You can't have it both ways.

My point is stop using stats to try to project how good your team is. OU fans are pretty confident we'll hang with you no matter how inflated talent wise you think your team is compared to us.

While I have any normal concerns in playing such a huge game, I feel like we Sooners are more confident in prevailing over the Tigers than they are over OU.

It's almost like every one of their posts are designed to convince themselves they'll win, not necessarily us.
Like it is always said, that's why they play the game...it just seems that there's a little chink in the Tigers fans armor with regard to their confidence level.
I suppose that could be the psyche trauma of having only one National title to lean on...way back in 1981.
Since then, OU has won TWO of them and played for three others.

Playing for championships here at OU is just another day at the office.
We aren't worried.:D

ADVERTISEMENT