ADVERTISEMENT

Go buff...

Given that the Big 12 is considered the worst of the P5 conferences, we need every bowl win we can get.

That said, my attitude towards Oklahoma State has changed dramatically since I retired from the military. When I was living all over the country/world, I honestly rooted for OSU when they weren't playing OU. However, now that I live in Oklahoma I don't know if I've ever seen such a collection of whiny, perpetually butthurt, petty, and hypocritical people.

For tonight though...Go Pokes!

Given that the Big 12 is considered the worst of the P5 conferences, we need every bowl win we can get.

That said, my attitude towards Oklahoma State has changed dramatically since I retired from the military. When I was living all over the country/world, I honestly rooted for OSU when they weren't playing OU. However, now that I live in Oklahoma I don't know if I've ever seen such a collection of whiny, perpetually butthurt, petty, and hypocritical people.

This ×1000.

Hate to pull for Pokie but gotta do it tonight.

That is hilarious. I have never understood rooting for the conference. What would it matter if a conference went 0 fer in bowls?

Does the conference with the NC winner get an extra bowl win and the loser an extra loss now since they play two bowl games? What if the NC winner is the only team in their conference to win a bowl game? Is there an asterisk needed then?

Reactions: OUSOONER67

Reverse this exactly and it's my feelings toward OU.

Good luck Monday

Reactions: AC2017
That is hilarious. I have never understood rooting for the conference. What would it matter if a conference went 0 fer in bowls?

Does the conference with the NC winner get an extra bowl win and the loser an extra loss now since they play two bowl games? What if the NC winner is the only team in their conference to win a bowl game? Is there an asterisk needed then?

Like it or not, conference prestige, credibility, and, at the end of the day, finances are most directly a function of bowl performance. The truth of the matter is that the Big 12 is considered "the little sisters of the poor" based mostly on how we (haven't) performed in the postseason. Conversely, the SEC built its reputation largely on strong bowl showings. That perception of conference strength is seen at BCS and playoff selection time and currently the Big 12 is bringing up the rear relative to the other P5 conferences.

You'll never see me chanting "Big 12, Big 12" but, all other things being equal, I'm going to root for our conference teams in the postseason for those reasons

Yep, OU fans are always butthurt over winning the conference championship... Or playing on the biggest stages... Oh, I forgot, douchebag press gave aOm a National Championship this year, for the 1945 season... Celebrate in stoolwater...

Reactions: iasooner1

Good luck Monday

In light of the fact that the Sooners beat the Pokes 85 percent of the time I'm not sure how OU fans would be classified as whiny, petty, and perpetually butthurt? I could understand accusations of overbearing and obnoxious but what do you expect when you dominate a rivalry like Oklahoma has?

The simple fact of the matter is that OSU is FAR more obsessed with OU than vice versa.

IIRC you've been a pretty reasonable poster on this board so the generalization certainly wasn't directed at you.

Like it or not, conference prestige, credibility, and, at the end of the day, finances are most directly a function of bowl performance. The truth of the matter is that the Big 12 is considered "the little sisters of the poor" based mostly on how we (haven't) performed in the postseason. Conversely, the SEC built its reputation largely on strong bowl showings. That perception of conference strength is seen at BCS and playoff selection time and currently the Big 12 is bringing up the rear relative to the other P5 conferences.

You'll never see me chanting "Big 12, Big 12" but, all other things being equal, I'm going to root for our conference teams in the postseason for those reasons

Oklahoma is not in because they lost to Houston. Period. If OU were 11-1 they would be in Atlanta playing Alabama.

The prestige of the Big XII left when Nebraska and Colorado bolted. OU did itself no favors in allowing the LHN to come about. It would have been real easy to sink that ship. No network, no competition, blah, blah, blah... Big XII teams make more than Pac 12 and ACC teams on average and continue to do so.

The only other team of significance in the Big XII is texASS, and they can't pull their weight right now. If they did, the perception would be completely different. While you say you won't be chanting Big 12, Big 12, that is exactly what you are doing.

As for me, I'll be yelling

BOOMER SOONER.

^^^ I'm not sure if a one loss OU team gets in over a one loss Pac-12 champion Husky team this year. I'm not even sure we'd get in over a one loss Michigan team. Perhaps but no other Big 12 team would. Perception-wise we're not helped in the eyes of committee members as a result of our overall mediocre, at best, bowl record under Stoops. The Big 12 simply has to up its game in the postseason.

^^^ I'm not sure if a one loss OU team gets in over a one loss Pac-12 champion Husky team this year. I'm not even sure we'd get in over a one loss Michigan team. Perhaps but no other Big 12 team would. Perception-wise we're not helped in the eyes of committee members as a result of our overall mediocre, at best, bowl record under Stoops. The Big 12 simply has to up its game in the postseason.
If Michigan were a one loss team, tOSU would be a two loss team and Michigan would be 12-1 B1G CHUMPS.

Stoops bowl record didn't stop the committee last year...

A one loss texASS wouldn't get in? What are you smoking?

If Michigan were a one loss team, tOSU would be a two loss team and Michigan would be 12-1 B1G CHUMPS.

Stoops bowl record didn't stop the committee last year...

A one loss texASS wouldn't get in? What are you smoking?

Depends on what the records are of the teams vying for the last playoff spot, who Texas lost to, when, etc?

Fact of the matter is that the Big 12 is viewed nationally as the weakest of the P5 conferences. That's reinforced by the fact that In three years of the current system, the SEC, ACC, and Big 10 have each had three teams make the cut, the Pac 12 has two and Big 12 one. Good thing OU made it last year or the Big 12 would be on the wrong end of a shut out.

I'm not even sure we'd get in over a one loss Michigan team. Perhaps but no other Big 12 team would.

Depends on what the records are of the teams vying for the last playoff spot, who Texas lost to, when, etc?

So losing to a poor Iowa team late is a better loss than a loss to tOSU early... but, but, but... Maybe so, after giving up record numbers against tortilla thrower u...

Fact of the matter is, if OU is undefeated or a one loss team, what teams are going to rank ahead of them with equal records? Alabama? Ohio State? Notre Dame? Southern Cal? Who? OU controls it's own destiny, every year. It doesn't matter how the Big XII looks from bowls...

Only ONE game matters to me right now, the Sugar Bowl. There is ONLY ONE OKLAHOMA. The rest of the 12,11,10 can bite me. Especially the ones that have been hanging around here the past couple of weeks running their mouths, ie osu and the whorn fans and any others that were too CS to say what team they support. BOOMER!

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
Aside from Texas, I want Big 12 teams winning bowl games, even if it has no impact on OU in a national championship format.
It adds to OU's legacy winning a conference championship when all the other Big 12 Conference bowl teams win in postseason.

Reactions: iasooner1 and WP76
Aside from Texas, I want Big 12 teams winning bowl games, even if it has no impact on OU in a national championship format.
It adds to OU's legacy winning a conference championship when all the other Big 12 Conference bowl teams win in postseason.

Couldn't agree more. I can't envision a scenario in which I root for Texas in a bowl but I will for everyone else in the conference.

I believe they would be in this year, because OU's one loss would have been week 1 or week 3.
Washington's one loss was November.
Even if it wasn't part of the committee's criteria, in their minds, the committee would look at OU as an improving team since their loss and Washington maybe as a fading team that lost late.
Moot point. But fun discussion.

That's interesting... Rapist U in Waco says welcome aboard...

I tend to root for the conference when it comes to bowl games. I had thought that Okie Lite would beat the Puffs. Watched the Puffs play a few times and I was never really impressed by them. OU needs the Big XII to be strong and having conference schools win their bowl games helps the national perception of the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT