ADVERTISEMENT

What a huge disappointment this team has been.

Jan 21, 2024
To get as high as #9 and play so well, just to self destruct like they did is very sad. Another year of this and Moser gotta go.

Reality What Else Is New GIF by WE tv

To get as high as #9 and play so well, just to self destruct like they did is very sad. Another year of this and Moser gotta go.

Get used to it, no matter who becomes HC. Texas’ basketball facilities and new arena are “nicer than 80% of the NBA arenas I’ve visited” (per Toby Rowland). Gotta have top recruits. Facilities attract top recruits. OU’s are way behind.

The Porter-Moser-to-DePaul rumor is out there again. Supposedly, they have the money in hand. (Source: OKC sports talk discussion. No claims being made as to the validity).

Some of you boys may get your wish.

Totally disagree. Moser can coach. I don't know if he has enough\ contacts to recruit this part of the country as well as you have to. But if DePaul doesn't get him, I guarantee he conference record in the SEC will be better than the Big XII. Especially this year. In these days of NIL, we need to figure out how to keep guys together for a couple of year,

But you'll never be pleased with the coach, when you're at the bottom of whatever conference in we're in, in attendance. Except for softball, it's not great across the board. We need to have a system in place, where people can show up at a game and get the good seats that season ticket holders are not filling that day. i'm not talking about OU making money on the resale. Get a but in the seat, and hope they buy some beer and chips. Or whatever.

It even happened at softball games the last two weekends. But for basketball on both sides to recruit, especially headed to the SEC, OUr fan base has to step up.

Porter is a very good coach, its hard to build a team and be consistent when your roster is turning over every year. Hopefully he keeps the majority of this roster heading into the SEC, OU will not be a top tier team but they wont be a bottom feeder either.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Sorry but I see a team that has regressed significantly in conference play. Stagnant offense and effortless and lost on defense. Basic fundamental basketball just isn't there.

They do not deserve a tournament bid. They have given up about a month ago and are now getting blown out against any team they play with a pulse. They begged and pleaded to pack the house against Kansas and Texas and got blown out. Nobody should give a shit anymore.

Porter is failing.

Reactions: BoomBoom99
70% is the players, 20% is the coach, the rest is luck. Moser is as good a coach as OU can expect to get. We just don’t have the jimmy’s and joe’s. And haven’t had consistently for a very, very long time.

They'll probably go out and get beat at home in the first or second round of the NIT.
Can’t lose in NIT. Joe C and OU turned down the invite. I think its a good move. NIT is no longer what it once was. BTW AtM got in at 20-14 which according to committe they had a better resume than OU but trail the Sooners in almost every metric they supposibly use. Same with UVA. Same old Committee BS.

Now JC saying a top seed may be stretching it but a 9-12 seed would have been about right.

“Although being the number 1 overall seed in the NIT would great, that is not the goal at the University of Oklahoma, we felt we had a strong resume for a top seed. We respectfully decline and will be looking forward to next year in the SEC”

Last edited:
If they truly had all three, then We might have won a game or two. But somehow, I get the feeling that wouldn't have happened.

I also had the feeling when reading the article linked immediately above, that Moser was saying goodbye. I hope he's back. But I'd give it less than a 50-50 chance.

If they truly had all three, then We might have won a game or two. But somehow, I get the feeling that wouldn't have happened.

I also had the feeling when reading the article linked immediately above, that Moser was saying goodbye. I hope he's back. But I'd give it less than a 50-50 chance.
I honestly don't know how I feel about PM. If he leaves I am good with it and yet if he stays, I am not sure I would be happy with it. Would those 3 players had made a difference who know because its not like OU had a shooter that scared anyone. This team, just like last season became hard to watch even when those guys were on the floor. At least for me anyway.

Does PM have an argument for being left out? Sure but in the end they beat up on a lot of average teams but with the exception of the early ISU win, who did they beat besides BYU above them in the standings. Texas destroyed OU both times they played. Plus going 2-6 over the final 8 games didn't help either. I think if they played themselves out of the tournament.

Short of players, OU played the number 1 team in the country even for 39 minutes and 59 seconds. We were better than other at large teams that go in.

I think recruiting and portal stuff for next year is crucial. The entry into the SEC will at least lighten the schedule a little.

Look at what happened to Kansas this year. When they lost two key players, they couldn't beat anybody. Losing one night be something to be overcome in college basketball. Not always, but possible. Lose 3 and especially OU in the Big 12 ... No chance. That's what Moser faced. Sadly, l think he's gone.

Last edited:
Short if players, OU played the number 1 team in the country even for 39 minutes and 59 seconds. We were better than other at large teams that go in.

I think recruiting and portal stuff for next year is crucial. The entry into the SEC will at least lighten the schedule a little.

Look at what happened to Kansas this year. When they lost two key players, they couldn't beat anybody. Losing one night be something to be overcome in college basketball. Not always, but possible. Lose 3 and especially OU in the Big 12 ... No chance. That's what Moser faced. Sadly, l think he's gone.
Where do you think he is going? DePaul hired a coach and unless he gets fired what other school is actively looking at him?

OU will never reach the level we were when Tubbs was here....or probably Kelvin for that matter. Times have changed with the Thunder, recruiting, kids jumping ship all the time......the future doesn't look promising.

Haven't really paid much attention since the Billy ball days. What were the circumstances for Kelvin's departure?

Haven't really paid much attention since the Billy ball days. What were the circumstances for Kelvin's departure?
Kelvin had just recruited the best class he ever had at OU. But the NCAA had a stupid rule that wasn't obeyed by some, even most head coached. They weren't allowed allowed to talk to recruiits on the phone, even committed ones, during a certain time. When he got caught doing that, the leaders at OU were still smarting a little from two issues.

One was that Billy Tubbs had a lot of players that weren't really college students at any level. There were only there to play basketball. Not all, but over time, more than a few. And there was still seeking to be squeaky clean about those things, and smarting from the things that led to Switzer's departure. There were rumblings, not acted on, that he might be in trouble. About that time, Indiana offered him their head coaching job.

Indiana was a true blue blood at the time. He took that job. He still wasn't close to being a great college basketball coach. He WAS great when Hollis Price was his best player, and went to a final four, (and lost in the semi's) and the next year, went to the regional final, losing to Syracuse's national champs, in the last game for Price. He still wasn't a great college coach.

IU had and still mostly has, much higher expectations than OU does in basketball. Kelvin lasted two seasons. After his departure, he went to the NBA for six seasons, three with the Bucks as an assistant, three with the Rockets. THERE, he learned how to coach offense. He's always coached great, hard-nosed defense, and still does.

He's still better coaching defense than offense. But Houston has enough available talent to win big if you recruit well there. And occasionally, get lucky and contend for a natty. They are an excellent team, and they may contend. Personally, I don't think they'll get there, but I'll pull for them, because I like Kelvin.

If he's ready, I'd love it if Hollis Price is ready, for OU to give him a shot. We've had so much success in Football recruiting quality assistants. and the guy's a winner. Close to 40. I'd investigate first, but he played like a great coaching prospect.

Here's what wikipedia had to say about him at Indiana.

In his first season at Indiana, Sampson led the Hoosiers to a 21–11 record overall and a 34th appearance in the NCAA tournament as a 7th seed in the West. Indiana beat first round opponent Gonzaga, losing in the second round to eventual Regional Champion UCLA, 54–49.

On February 22, 2008, Sampson was forced to resign due to allegations of serious NCAA violations,[11] which included sending text messages to recruits, something that was against NCAA rules between 2007 and 2013. As a result of these allegations, Sampson received a five-year show-cause penalty.[12] See NCAA violations section below.
Following his resignation and penalties from the NCAA, he spent the next three years as an assistant coach for the Milwaukee Bucks followed by three years as an assistant for the Houston Rockets.

When I listened to Moser's presser today (March 19) I'm more convinced that he is the man for the job. He's going to have more talent to replace, because we'll lose some guys the way NIL works these days. But I think he'll do it. The guy is a fighter, and we need that more than ever.

When I listened to Moser's presser today (March 19) I'm more convinced that he is the man for the job. He's going to have more talent to replace, because we'll lose some guys the way NIL works these days. But I think he'll do it. The guy is a fighter, and we need that more than ever.
I hope your right but it is a wait and see affair for me.

Reactions: BoomBoom99
Just wondering if this thread will be used for our baseball team now.
DBU is a quality program and they tend to fare well against OUr number 4 pitcher. Consider how we do against BIG XII teams to make your evaluztions. This team isn't great. But facing the number 11 team in the country on the road they won three straight and are now 6-0 in a very good baseball conference. Let's keep doing well in the games that really count, and see how things pan out. I'd love to beat OSU when the conference standings are on the line, But I'm seeing some good signs. We do seem to suck in midweek games right now. But if we keep going 3-0 in the weekends, I can live with it.

Reactions: iasooner2000
don't know what makes you think that.

You asked, so don't call me arrogant. I've been involved in over 100 seasons of one sport or another. Over half of that was as a low level coach. But l worked for at least three football coaches who who became hall of famers. I also officiated 30 years of basketball. Done several other jobs in team sports.

In all those years of sports involvement, l've learned what a good coach looks like. Moser can coach. He may not, in the present conditions in college sports in general be able to assemble the necessary talent. But he deserves a shot.

I remember when Tom Landry was Cowboys' HC. The Cowboys weren't allowed to draft in their first season, and growing that team took time. They didn't get to .500 their first five seasons. There were lots of rumblings in Dallas that they needed to get a new coach.

Their owner, Clint Murchison instead signed him to an 11-year extension. The team played in the post season the next nine years. I may not be right. He may need to be gone in two years. But l'll bet he gets it done.

Reactions: Salt City Sooner
I think after watching oSu struggle to find a replacement, we're best served seeing what Moser can build. That's not really an endorsement and I have serious concerns as a fan because of the routine backsliding and the ineptitude offensively. And mostly that we just stuck with what was obviously not working.

The expectations shouldn't be crazy high but routine tournament appearances with an occasional deep run isn't expecting to much, in my opinion.

Plainosooner more than likely you are wrong and I’m guessing if we stick with Moses we will continue being mediocre at best.

When your routine crowd attendance is fewer than 5,000, your team is going to struggle accumulating talent. I don't consider a 20 win season, mediocrity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT