ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Patterson angry at officials

Sour grapes. The intentional grounding should have been called. It did look bad that they didn't call it until Bob had a tantrum on the sidelines.

Reactions: BillyRay
When the flag came out, I first thought it was going to be on Bob. Gary needs a sweat bucket, good grief the guy sweats like a hog.

Gary Patterson's traits:

- He's a sweat pig who roams the sidelines in dri-fit shirts that looks like he's gone swimming in them but they do nicely accentuate his man boobs.

- In consecutive years against the Sooners, his players have deliberately targeted OU star offensive players to cheap-shot them out of the game. In 2015, it was Baker Mayfield (who was forced to the sidelines for the rest of the contest) and in 2016 it was some third team scrub who tried to take out Mixon through a combination of catch interference and targeting.

- His assistant coaches congratulated both of the cheap shot artists on the sidelines before the offending players went to the locker room.

- He bitc-es about calls the officials got right but had nothing to say about the blown call on the catch by OU at the TCU seven yard line or the (minimum) half dozen uncalled holding calls against his own o-line. After the grounding call, which was the correct call and should've been loss of down but the officials missed, he didn't complain about the gift "fifth down" his team got on that drive.

Bottom line is he's a low-class POS.

That target on Mixon, he probably set that up. He has man boobs that some women would envy. What a pig. Has a girl hold his sweat towel. Stinky piece of ....

I understand his reasoning on the grounding call. Not only did it look bad the official announced no penalty at first, but then they changed the call after Bob threw a fit. But also, I don't think there is any doubt the pass was affected by getting hit right as he released it. That would no doubt account for the ball prolly falling far short of where Hill was trying to throw it.

The officials look like idiots but in most cases got it right. The holding waived off, the intentional grounding, etc.

There was a time I thought Patterson was a pretty classy coach. However over the last 2 seasons I have lost respect for him. Why he is blasting the refs is nothing but sour grapes because his own team got away with some holding. Lets not also forget on the last OU drive his players infuenced the refs call on what should have been a reception that would have all but sealed the game.

To also congratulate a player for a dirty hit is pretty classless of his assistants also. Is Patterson becoming the new Briles and teaching his players how to play dirty?

And anyone know what article he is talking about where Baker talked about how Patterson treated him? Or is he referencing the stuff Baker said last season about Patterson when he was being recruited?
Another article CBS Sports where Baker was interviewed, saying he was "hung out to dry"

Last edited:
I think Patterson's still stinging from the (well-documented) preseason ESPN college football magazine in which Mayfield and his parents said, essentially, that Patterson promised him a scholarship but reneged on signing day. The long-term damage to Patterson's program is his perceived lack of integrity in dealing with recruits and their parents.

Bottom line is this is nothing more than a case of sour grapes and frustration boiling to the surface from a coach whose team just lost a tough football game.

Reactions: iasooner1
There was a time I thought Patterson was a pretty classy coach. However over the last 2 seasons I have lost respect for him. Why he is blasting the refs is nothing but sour grapes because his own team got away with some holding. Lets not also forget on the last OU drive his players infuenced the refs call on what should have been a reception that would have all but sealed the game.

To also congratulate a player for a dirty hit is pretty classless of his assistants also. Is Patterson becoming the new Briles and teaching his players how to play dirty?
Patterson is anything but Classy give me a break

I think the penalty was changed because of the tackle box. I thought it was obvious myself. Correct call but let's have some more excuses for winning. What a beautiful world!

Reactions: iasooner1
I think the penalty was changed because of the tackle box. I thought it was obvious myself. Correct call but let's have some more excuses for winning. What a beautiful world!
I definitely agree he was still in the box. I'm curious if officials ever take into account the QB getting hit at the moment of release and that having an effect on where the ball goes? Or do they base grounding penalties SOLELY on where the ball hits and if there were any WRs in the area, and not take any account of the QB getting hit at the moment of release?

I definitely agree he was still in the box. I'm curious if officials ever take into account the QB getting hit at the moment of release and that having an effect on where the ball goes? Or do they base grounding penalties SOLELY on where the ball hits and if there were any WRs in the area, and not take any account of the QB getting hit at the moment of release?
Of course you can call a pass with no intentional grounding even if the ball goes no more than 5' because the QB was hit. But the official call was "out of the box" to which Stoops rightly took exception if that was the rationale for the call. The ref who brought up the "box" created this whole mess.

That's only because Tcu has been in the league for 5 years and you didn't pay attention to Tcu. I live in D/FW and he has been a jerk for years
I've been paying attention since 2005 when I was at the game TCU rolled in and beat OU in that season opener.
Besides, judging a person as a jerk is dependant on what color jersey they are wearing and which one you are wearing. If Bob were to make similar statements then OU fans would back him up. But since it's an opponents head coach then OU fans label them as jerks.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Maybe I am basing my feelings on how Patterson looks and acts, but I don't think so. I wonder how the Mountain West teams viewed him. I don't think any teams will be breaking down doors to steal him away. He can coach at times, but I would not want him as our coach.

Reactions: dfwsoonerfan
I've been paying attention since 2005 when I was at the game TCU rolled in and beat OU in that season opener.
Besides, judging a person as a jerk is dependant on what color jersey they are wearing and which one you are wearing. If Bob were to make similar statements then OU fans would back him up. But since it's an opponents head coach then OU fans label them as jerks.
Patterson treats the media terrible and complains non stop he never takes responsibility. Bob is classy and always takes full responsibility. You would never hear Bob rip a former recruit and his father. I have never seen a coach that blames the refs as much as fat boy

A sweaty one too.

Hell, I'll sweat to if I get that cute little thing to follow me around all day!

attachment.php

Patterson treats the media terrible and complains non stop he never takes responsibility. Bob is classy and always takes full responsibility. You would never hear Bob rip a former recruit and his father. I have never seen a coach that blames the refs as much as fat boy
Hate to break it to ya, but that doesn't sound too terribly different than the usual arrogant and condescending tone Bob typically treats the media with.

Lol then it must be because you live in the metroplex and not Norman is why you haven't noticed it. Just echoing the reasoning you think anyone who doesn't live in Ft Worth doesn't see Pattersons antics. LOL!!
I hear Bobs presser each week and hear his comments after games and he never blames refs or acts like a jerk. I guess Briles was spot on about Patterson

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT