ADVERTISEMENT

First College top 25 committee ranking.....LINK

Would not mind if Baylor gets left out even if undefeated. Their non conference schedule is a disgrace. Briles says he won't change. OU needs to get out of big XII or demand every school schedule division I non conference teams.

Would not mind if Baylor gets left out even if undefeated. Their non conference schedule is a disgrace. Briles says he won't change. OU needs to get out of big XII or demand every school schedule division I non conference teams.
I agree Pryor I really believe Ou will speed up the exit process. Joe C is tired of waiting on Texas

Somebody forgot to tell the committee the SEC is overrated. The domes are sitting pretty.

We need a conference playoff game or we will miss out on the top 4 more, than not.

What do you think of this idea. It might be stupid or it might be the answer.

Why can't we petition the NCAA to let the highest ranked Independent play our conference champ? First, why it might be stupid, because our champ would probably be playing Notre Dame every year. BYU and Army are the only other independents. That would give ND an unfair advantage, but they do play a great schedule.

Advantage, we have a post season game before they choose the top 4.

What you think?

When / If the Sooners beat Baylor, TCU, & then OSU they'll get respect. Until then, it really doesn't matter. The schedule is set up best for OU than anyone of Baylor, TCU, & OSU. If OU wins out, and does so marching through these Top 10 teams, they will be one of the 4 teams.

Just win baby win.

When / If the Sooners beat Baylor, TCU, & then OSU they'll get respect. Until then, it really doesn't matter. The schedule is set up best for OU than anyone of Baylor, TCU, & OSU. If OU wins out, and does so marching through these Top 10 teams, they will be one of the 4 teams.

Just win baby win.

I thought OSU had all those teams at home?

Just win baby win.

Not all these teams will be a top 10 team when OU plays them??? Won't they knock one or more out of the top rankings? Baylor may be the only top 10 OU plays. If so, Notre Dame stands in the Sooners way, IMO.

I think on some level it makes sense however the domers already enjoy some level of a fast track to the final four IMO. if the big 12 goes another year without having a worthy team in the final four the new conference motto will be, "There's no true conference champion" and will make an uphill battle more difficult than it already is or ever should have been.

I probably should have stated it better... I meant that the three are all ranked ahead of us.

My focus is now only on winning the Big XII. The loss to the Horns nixed the deal for the Sooners.

I'm afraid you're right 22. Even if OU goes undefeated the rest of the way, the B12 doesn't have the prestige to get in the top four without a championship game and has a one-loss champion. The other four "power" conferences have an automatic edge and can get in with one loss (but they must win their CCG), whereas the B12 Champ must be undefeated to make the top four.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I'm afraid you're right 22. Even if OU goes undefeated the rest of the way, the B12 doesn't have the prestige to get in the top four without a championship game and has a one-loss champion. The other four "power" conferences have an automatic edge and can get in with one loss (but they must win their CCG), whereas the B12 Champ must be undefeated to make the top four.

Then Notre Dame needs to get punished. Wait it's ND.............

We needed either Baylor or tcu to be in that top 4. We could win out and I'm still not sure we will make it. That's what we get for not showing up against texas

Reactions: BillyRay
We needed either Baylor or tcu to be in that top 4. We could win out and I'm still not sure we will make it. That's what we get for not showing up against texas

You should be a commentator on ESPN. "OU gets what it deserves...didn't show up for a game and gets punished."

Doesn't look like ND or Alabama is being punished for not showing up in a game. So now we are rooting for the good ole B12's heavy weights...Baylor and TCU to represent. Go Conference?

Screw that, we may have not shown up for a day but other teams didn't either. I couldn't disagree with what you've said more. We have an opportunity to beat several top teams and you are saying we don't belong if we close it? That's pathetic.

You should be a commentator on ESPN. "OU gets what it deserves...didn't show up for a game and gets punished."

Doesn't look like ND or Alabama is being punished for not showing up in a game. So now we are rooting for the good ole B12's heavy weights...Baylor and TCU to represent. Go Conference?

Screw that, we may have not shown up for a day but other teams didn't either. I couldn't disagree with what you've said more. We have an opportunity to beat several top teams and you are saying we don't belong if we close it? That's pathetic.

Needless to say, however it bears repeating...I like that rote logic.

It gives most OU fans a modicum of realistic hope.

Zero the difference is Oklahoma lost to one of the worst teams in the nation ...Texas is bad, really bad

Zero the difference is Oklahoma lost to one of the worst teams in the nation ...Texas is bad, really bad

But it was also a rivalry game. Emotions are through the roof. I bet if we played that game 1000 times we win 95% of them. We lost that game, we came out flat...we've shown who we are since that time. I'm seeing things the last few games on the whole that we haven't seen in a few years. Closing that TN game would have been written off in years past for sure.

I think we have what it takes to gut it out. The only concern I have is the secondary and so far, even with the flaws we obviously have at times, we have gutted it out.

I think saying we'll not be in the running over a ND or Alabama team that's lost to lesser teams is just not realistic. If we close out strong with wins over teams that are in the top 15 back to back...I don't see how anyone can overlook that.

But it was also a rivalry game. Emotions are through the roof. I bet if we played that game 1000 times we win 95% of them. We lost that game, we came out flat...

That's what I don't get. For such a huge rivalry game, I agree emotions should be through the roof....yet....OU came out dead flat. Sorry, but if OU comes out dead flat like that 100 times, then OU loses that game 95% of the time.

But you are right, we are now seeing what this OU team's legit potential is. OU just needs to win, and let everything else take care of itself. Some of the teams that appear to be roadblocks for OU to the playoffs will drop games. It happens every year. This time of year is crunch time, and it's when teams start to play tight cuz the end is in sight and the playoffs are within their reach. Then they drop a game they should have won. Things appear to be a longshot for OU right now, but as teams ranked ahead of OU lose, then opportunities will open up. It happens every year. Everyone just needs to be patient.

Reactions: AbsoluteZer0
How can anyone come out flat and emotionless in a rivalry game? I agree and heck we probably beat them 99 times out of a 100. If we win out we have a shot at being there in final 4. If not, we have no one to blame but ourselves

Why the angst about the first poll? SEC was all the rage in the first poll last year and none of the 3 top SEC teams (Auburn and the Mississippis) made it. Plenty of football left. And ND's chances against Stanford are only slightly north of nil.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
I think it's hard to read too much one way or another. Until OU plays Baylor or TCU, it's hard to say. Beating KSU and KU doesn't mean much as they are both terrible. I never look much at how a team beats a terrible team whether it's by 20 or 50. Tech could always beat a bad team by 50 under Leach, but rarely a good team. OU will get it's chance, but the schedule is still out there in front. I didn't include OSU in that mix because they were damn lucky to beat Texas and haven't played anyone with a pulse sense. Good news is the Big 12 starts to get interesting this week and the pretenders will fall quickly. If Baylor or TCU runs the gauntlet they are in. Only way a 1 loss Big 12 team makes the playoffs is for ND to lose and not have 2 teams in the SEC with 1 loss. Either that or a shit load of upsets along the way. Pull for LSU to beat Bama and take them off the table.

How can anyone come out flat and emotionless in a rivalry game? I agree and heck we probably beat them 99 times out of a 100. If we win out we have a shot at being there in final 4. If not, we have no one to blame but ourselves

How have we lost to Kansas under Switzer in the past? Granted it wasn't a rivalry but that sort of crap happens. How did we lose to OSU on several occasions when they sucked? It happens, tell me you've never gone to work some day and didn't give your best because you didn't wanna be there.

I'm not saying OU is the giant killer this year. I simply hope they have the fortitude to pucker up the ole cavity and put the head down to get stuff done. I've been in situations in the Military where things didn't look so good...you don't just say "ah well, we got our ass kicked when we weren't looking...let's just go home". You come back stronger and kick the hell out of what's in your way. I'm hopeful we have that attitude and if or when I am proven wrong...I'll be down here in Austin taking the brunt of the razzing as I have been.

I am really hopeful that this team has some fight in them...and that we can pull it out.

How have we lost to Kansas under Switzer in the past? Granted it wasn't a rivalry but that sort of crap happens. How did we lose to OSU on several occasions when they sucked? It happens, tell me you've never gone to work some day and didn't give your best because you didn't wanna be there.

I'm not saying OU is the giant killer this year. I simply hope they have the fortitude to pucker up the ole cavity and put the head down to get stuff done. I've been in situations in the Military where things didn't look so good...you don't just say "ah well, we got our ass kicked when we weren't looking...let's just go home". You come back stronger and kick the hell out of what's in your way. I'm hopeful we have that attitude and if or when I am proven wrong...I'll be down here in Austin taking the brunt of the razzing as I have been.

I am really hopeful that this team has some fight in them...and that we can pull it out.

Not everyone has a job...FYI. :)

Reactions: AbsoluteZer0
Zero I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to lose to a bad Texas team, I'm just stating the committee sees it as a bad loss. It didn't help them getting owned by a bad isu team last Saturday. We need for Texas to win out and we need to win out obviously

I wouldn't get to worked up over this first poll. Lets see how the committee treats the winner of the OSU - TCU game this weekend. Since the tag line from ESPN and the committee seems to be "No one in the Big 12 has played anyone" and this being a match-up of unbeaten teams it will be interesting how they treat the winner. If neither team moves up much then the B12 conference winner may very well be in trouble. Remember the ESPN commentators have made that statement about Big 12 teams not playing anyone but yet they consider Alabama's and Florida's tough wins over Tennessee as being a quality win. Yet no mention of the OU- Tennessee result.

Even if OU wins out jumping from 15 to the top 4 is going to require some help along the way. Especially if the committee demonstrates that they don't respect the B12 over the next few weeks with these H2H games coming up. Like someone said earlier if that 4th spot is between OU and ND I think OU gets screwed despite its back schedule and the fact the conference does not have a title game. If this happens and the B12 is once again left out while ND gets in without having a conference championship themselves maybe it will finally set things in motion for the dismantling of the conference as a whole.

This committee is no better than the human polling system in the end and if folks don't think those members have any biases then they are fooling themselves.

I wouldn't get to worked up over this first poll. Lets see how the committee treats the winner of the OSU - TCU game this weekend. Since the tag line from ESPN and the committee seems to be "No one in the Big 12 has played anyone" and this being a match-up of unbeaten teams it will be interesting how they treat the winner. If neither team moves up much then the B12 conference winner may very well be in trouble. Remember the ESPN commentators have made that statement about Big 12 teams not playing anyone but yet they consider Alabama's and Florida's tough wins over Tennessee as being a quality win. Yet no mention of the OU- Tennessee result.

Even if OU wins out jumping from 15 to the top 4 is going to require some help along the way. Especially if the committee demonstrates that they don't respect the B12 over the next few weeks with these H2H games coming up. Like someone said earlier if that 4th spot is between OU and ND I think OU gets screwed despite its back schedule and the fact the conference does not have a title game. If this happens and the B12 is once again left out while ND gets in without having a conference championship themselves maybe it will finally set things in motion for the dismantling of the conference as a whole.

This committee is no better than the human polling system in the end and if folks don't think those members have any biases then they are fooling themselves.

While it's possible, hard for me to imagine a scenario where we aren't in if we win out. We'll have beaten 3 top 5/10/15 teams in a matter of weeks. Being one of the hottest teams in the nation will carry some weight, despite the bandwagon announcers.

Zero I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to lose to a bad Texas team, I'm just stating the committee sees it as a bad loss. It didn't help them getting owned by a bad isu team last Saturday. We need for Texas to win out and we need to win out obviously

What Texas does is almost irrelevant...much like...never mind.

I agree with the premise of what you are saying. We lost to a suck ass team for no good reason other than we did not come to play. All I'm saying is that it happens to a bunch of good teams. We take care of business and I think we have a great shot. It doesn't matter that the other teams in front of us aren't 2/3/4 in the rankings of some politically and/or emotionally motivated squad of elitist high society socialites. If we put the head down and plow through the opposition, we are in as good a shape as anyone.

If we don't, then we deserve the Russell Athletic super concentrated feces bowl...and hopefully we aren't the largest turd like last year when we won the reality series best award for crap performance in a bowl of the year award.

Reactions: Schoonerman
It's of small relevance, but it would look good for Texas to at least finish strong for November. I hope our players aren't looking ahead. It's gonna be tough to win out

Its happened every single year for a long time now zero. As for Texas, we were a 2 touchdown favorite and we laid an egg. Texas also just lost 24 - 0 to....Iowa State for goodness sake. You are trying to compare our loss to the ND and Alabama losses? Its not even close. ND loss to the #1 ranked team in the nation and Bama lost to an Ole Miss team that is leading the SEC west right now. If you think the committee is going to look at our loss in the same light as those then you aren't living in reality. The only path to the final 4 for OU is some other teams are going to have to lose again and/or we are going to have to blow out a Baylor, TCU, or Oklahoma State similar to what Ohio State did last year to Wisconsin. I just don't see that happening

While it's possible, hard for me to imagine a scenario where we aren't in if we win out. We'll have beaten 3 top 5/10/15 teams in a matter of weeks. Being one of the hottest teams in the nation will carry some weight, despite the bandwagon announcers.

There are actually a few scenarios out there that would not get OU in even if our team is to win out. Here is a good example below.

The ACC Champion (Clemson) finishes 13-0.
The Big Champion (Either TOSU, MSU or Iowa ) finish 13-0
The Pac 12 Champion (Stanford or Utah ) finishes at 12-1
The SEC Champion (Alabama or Florida ) finish the season at 12-1
Notre Dame finishes the season at 12-1 with its only loss to Clemson would likely replace Stanford if they were to beat them H2H.

The bottom line here is that even though no one will have a tougher closing games than OU if they win out the lack of a Conference Title Game will once again come back to bite the conference in the rear. The best bet for OU ( or any other 1 loss B12 champion ) to get in is for Stanford to lose to ND and Utah lose again also. Plus ND needs to lose once more then it almost would guarantee the B12 a spot. Also if Ole Miss runs the table and finishes 11-2 I highly doubt they leave the Rebels out of the playoffs and quite possibly create another spot for possibly a 11-1 Alabama team.

The scenarios are out there and very real possibilities that could keep even a hot 11-1 OU team out because like it or not that Texas loss will be in the back of the committees mind. We may have the brand name but getting in is going to require some help along the way with other teams losing.

There are actually a few scenarios out there that would not get OU in even if our team is to win out. Here is a good example below.

The ACC Champion (Clemson) finishes 13-0.
The Big Champion (Either TOSU, MSU or Iowa ) finish 13-0
The Pac 12 Champion (Stanford or Utah ) finishes at 12-1
The SEC Champion (Alabama or Florida ) finish the season at 12-1
Notre Dame finishes the season at 12-1 with its only loss to Clemson would likely replace Stanford if they were to beat them H2H.

The bottom line here is that even though no one will have a tougher closing games than OU if they win out the lack of a Conference Title Game will once again come back to bite the conference in the rear. The best bet for OU ( or any other 1 loss B12 champion ) to get in is for Stanford to lose to ND and Utah lose again also. Plus ND needs to lose once more then it almost would guarantee the B12 a spot. Also if Ole Miss runs the table and finishes 11-2 I highly doubt they leave the Rebels out of the playoffs and quite possibly create another spot for possibly a 11-1 Alabama team.

The scenarios are out there and very real possibilities that could keep even a hot 11-1 OU team out because like it or not that Texas loss will be in the back of the committees mind. We may have the brand name but getting in is going to require some help along the way with other teams losing.

This post is an excellent dose of reality. Sometimes, reality doesn't taste good.

Reactions: Oklabama
O-State or Michigan State wins out *
LSU wins out beating Bama and Miss in regular season play and wins the SEC CCG *
Clemson loses to Florida State, but wins the ACC CCG*

Florida State beats Clemson and Florida, but loses in the ACC CCG
Stanford beats ND giving them 2 losses, then Stanford loses the PAC CCG (2 losses)
Baylor loses to OU and TCU, and beats O-State giving the Bears 2 losses
Everybody beats the hell out of Oklahoma State
TCU loses to OU making them a one loss team, but losing late to OU
OU wins out beating Iowa State, Baylor, TCU and O-State

If this comes to pass, the committee would have to decide which one loss Big 12 team gets the last spot....TCU or OU. I would think OU. So the teams would be Ohio State, LSU, Clemson and OU. Simple! Tongue in cheek scenario.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT