ADVERTISEMENT

Final OU drive...WTF was Riley thinking?

Are you joking man? Every one of those seconds they burned, and the timeouts that they made TX use, were crucial on TX's last possession.

Reactions: OUgradJeff
The defense is not the only side with problems.

Real problems getting open.
Failure to utilitize Andrews.
Failure to utilize middle of field.
Vanilla play calling.
No RB screens.

No attempt to get a first down and seal the game? Why would he call 3 up the gut run plays? A first down prevents another shot for Texas to score a TD, which would be a game winner. Does OU not have a short passing game any longer? Slant? Out route?

Passing can stop the clock if passes are not completed and the clock is our friend We ran down the clock to under a minute left in the game making them use their last two timeouts & texas now without having a timeout would have to go 80 or 90 yards to win

I thought it was a great strategy by Riley Medic my friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: OUgradJeff
Passing can stop the clock if passes are not completed and the clock is our friend We ran down the clock to under a minute left in the game making them use their last two timeouts & texas now without having a timeout would have to go 80 or 90 yards to win

I thought it was a great strategy by Riley Medic my friend.
Disagree. Punting doesn't guarantee that Texas would have had to move the ball 80 or 90 yards. Mishandling the punt snap. Long return or return for a TD. Both of those could have been disastrous. OU was only ahead by 5. Going for a first down eliminates those risks if it's converted.

No attempt to get a first down and seal the game? Why would he call 3 up the gut run plays? A first down prevents another shot for Texas to score a TD, which would be a game winner. Does OU not have a short passing game any longer? Slant? Out route?

Well, yes, yes and yes to your three questions. I think a better question is what do you expect when OU loses most of it's proven offensive playmakers?

It was pretty obvious to me after the first 10 OU offensive plays that Lamb was out there for the purposes of being a decoy. While he was healthy enough to play he wasn't healthy enough that Riley wanted to risk further injury. Then the lose Badet after his second catch. At some point in the game Flowers didn't play. Plus, our most produtive RB, Adams, didn't play at all. That left Anderson and true Freshman Sermon to pick up the running game.

I think, considering everything, I think Riley did pretty good in the last 42 seconds of the 4th quarter. He didn't want to take any chances of giving the horns much. He forced them to use their timeouts. OU won the game.

If, I were to be critical of Riley I can sure find some things to be critical of him besides the last 42 seconds of the game. I don't like Riley's tendencies to gamble away field position as he did yesterday. His failure to convert 4th downs when he had a good lead and great momentum. He did that exactly twice and that is part of what led to horn scores and taking the game momentum.

I think those things warrant some criticism. I don't think how he handled the last 42 seconds deserves much criticism.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT