ADVERTISEMENT

Chat Recap: December 9th

usedtobe1

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2008
Here's a recap from this afternoon (Wednesday). Josh was the only Scoop staffer in the chat and there weren't a lot of questions. I tried to group similar questions together, so they aren't in the same order as the transcript. I also put some comments in parenthesis to help tell you who some of the recruits were if they aren't long-time recruits. Enjoy.

SOONERSCOOP.COM CHAT - December 9, 2015

Recruiting:

% on Cleveland, V. Jones and J. Jones...please (WR’s)
Josh_M: Cleveland...35%, V. Jones 50%, J. Jones 10%.

Josh, better fit for the OU offense, Tyrie Cleveland or Velus Jones?
Josh_M: Jones IMO. Better in space (though Cleveland is better than you'd expect) and more natural working across the middle.
Anything new on Tyrie Cleveland?
Josh_M: Nope, been trying to track him down - will keep working on that.
Lets throw Cleveland another party.

Speaking of Velus Jones, what are our odds with him currently?
Josh_M: I've got OU at about 40-50%
The other 50-60% on Velus being Tennessee?
Josh_M: Kind of where I'm leaning as far as OU's primary comp.

Is the Jack Jones recruitment a new development? Seems like we hadn't heard much about it until now he's on an OV. (Long Beach WR probably to USC)
Josh_M: He had talked about OU a lot early on and then kind of fell off the map. My impression is when OU started making a real run they reached out to some elite guys they had been missing out on.

Defensive ends - % getting Amani Bledsoe, Sci Martin please.
Josh_M: Bledsoe - 50% (really a dead heat between OU and KU IMO), Martin - 45% (though he is more of an OLB).
Bledsoe MUST have a major girl friend at KU? How else to explain it?
Josh_M: It's his hometown, almost certainly start as a true freshman, and they may end up offering his teammate (I've even heard him called some sort of brother...I don't know the whole back story to be honest).

Andraez Williams %? (LSU CB commit)
Josh_M: 15-20%
Greedy Williams? (Andraez "Greedy" Williams)
Josh_M: What about him?
Shot at Greedy?
Josh_M: 15-20%.

We're in on so many DBs right now...Are we really only taking 1 more?
Josh_M: I think two IF one of them is Burton. They want one CB and Burton. IMO.
B. Burton still on the radar? % please.
Josh_M: Man you guys have gone percentage mad...people seem to have forgotten how much I hate percentages. ;)

Do you see any commitments coming in before next Friday. Daniels commits next Friday. OU, IYO?
Josh_M: I'd still pick EM-B and think some others are at least possible but the timeline stuff can be tricky because a few of those guys are just going to choose when they choose.

Next in-state commit?
Josh_M: Josh Proctor.

Any news on Kelly?
Josh_M: Not really, he has been a bit quiet.

Has Southall gone quiet?
Josh_M: Just IS quiet, ha. But I think Ou is still in great, great shape.

Visitor List for this weekend?
Josh_M: A. Williams, P. Motley, J. Jones, and Juarez...checking to see if there are any surprises.

Price and Moore or bust for final o-line spots?
Josh_M: Nah, I think they'll need another one.

Is EJ Price still likely a Bulldog even with the UGA staff shakeup?
Josh_M: IMO, yeah. I just see him taking things that are going on at UGA personally.

Does the commitment of Powers cause OU to go cold on Rowdy, Castillo, and Hickey? Sure seems like it has...
Josh_M: I've been told that it won't but actions don't seem to back that up.

Josh, Sooners involved with Yasir Durant (OT out of Philly)? Noticed Stoops started following him on Twitter!
Josh_M: I think they are giving him a look I think it's clear they are still looking for one more OL (outside of Moore, who is almost another category).

Do we take Horton and E’beeb, if we can get both? What is the likelihood?
Josh_M: You not read last week's Scoop?
oh ok, had forgotten the mid semester deal for Horton, "shocked" that it would be a deal breaker?
Josh_M: It surprised me a bit but I think it says something of where they saw him 'if he can't crack the field from day one, we don't want him' and most kids who don't go through spring...aren't helping in year one.

Does Bosse commit to the good guys next week?
Josh_M: I think I'd still lean that way but it's, to me, just a dogfight between OU and Auburn.
Anything going on that would change your Mbem-Bosse prediction from OU when he announces on the 17th?
Josh_M: A lot could happen, him announcing the same day as his buddy, who most feel is headed to Auburn...that's usually not a good sign.

Eno Benjamin (Wylie Tx RB) and Malcolm Askew (4 star athlete from Alabama. What have you heard about them? Is Askew really as good as his offer list?
Josh_M: So far I haven't heard much on OU and Benjamin then again as a few days ago Omar Manning hadn't heard from OU and then got his offer yesterday.

Malcolm Askew, what are your thoughts and does OU really have a chance at him?
Josh_M: I've got some feelers in but I'd be very surprised. That said if someone could pull it off...Cooks is not one I'd like to bet against.

Josh, Parnell Motley, impressions of him and how serious is OU about him? (Maryland DB commit out of DC area)
Josh_M: I wasn't that nuts about him the first time they offered him so I'm a bit surprised to see OU still pursuing. Although I've not gone over his SR film yet.

Ready to give a wink for Daniels? Also if OU misses on Mbem-Bosse is Bundage back in play?
Josh_M: No and no. Though I think Daniels is pretty clear.

Juarez actually makes it in, are you gonna give us that "scoop" you've been holding on to?
Josh_M: haha, sure I think in the end you all will say 'oh that was no big deal' it's just some background info.

OU have a chance with any of the Houston area DT's? Elliott, Oliver, etc
Josh_M: No, never really did on Oliver (as I said all along). ;)
Elliott committed to UM didn't he?
Josh_M: He did.

See that Bueshele committed to Texas. Would he still not have been a better fit than Kendall? Looks like what Baker is doing, maybe better at it, at his level.
Josh_M: I'm going to see Kendall in a few weeks at Semper Fi and then can offer more on that - I've never been a big fan of buechele though.

Just watched Omar Manning's film...Can you say Dez Bryant?
Josh_M: He is really, really good.

2016 QB you were surprised we didn't make a serious run for?
Josh_M: This year? I can't say there was one, I was taking it a bit slow as it came to see where Riley would focus. With any coach you've got to figure out what kind of guys they like, identify, etc.

Chanse Sylvie did not get his 4th star. Are you surprised? Any chance he gets it on the last update?
Josh_M: Definitely a chance, I've not seen him in person but will fix that next month.

With this class ending bigger than originally expected, does OU leave a ship for Dalton Wood come May?
Josh_M: If he is there, I think so.

Josh, Sooners still talking with Rahssan Thorton?
Josh_M: To my understanding yes they are, I think most are still working on the LSU staff because no matter what everything looks shaky.

Josh, Chris Brown was a guy you were impressed with early on? Seems like his recruitment never took off...Tweener, grades, etc?
Josh_M: from Houston? Still doing well OU just ran out of spots for him.

OU still recruiting Dontavious Jackson very hard?
Josh_M: Not at all.

Josh, Armunz Mathews, dude actually have a legit offer?
Josh_M: As of last week (after it had been reported) no.

Where is Greg Little gonna settle? OU even talk with him. Friends with the Evans brothers
Josh_M: Nah, OU isn't really involved at this point.

What silent commits do you know about?
Josh_M: Only two five-stars.
Who is the other 5 Star? I only know of one.

What is your take on why 2017, 2018 guys want to commit so early?
Josh_M: I don't think they are any different than any other class, they just like the idea of having a spot locked away. And some kids really know what they want to do and don't see any point in wasting time.

Do early 2017, 2018 commitments, run the risk of Macking it up Texass style?
Josh_M: There is always that risk you want to be careful that you don't get too locked in too early. However, I mean you look around the country it's not like Oklahoma is off to some explosive start by comparison, as it pertains to number of players committed.

Any top 50 guys in 2017 to keep an eye on?
Josh_M: Guys I think OU is truly involved with 1 - Marvin Wilson, 17 - Jeff Okudah, 23 - A.J. Epenesa, 27 - Wyatt Davis, 29 - D'Andre Swift, 47 - Deommodore Leonoir

Number of OKPreps end of season tape stand out as OU good?
Josh_M: I think several guys in 2017 are worthy of consideration. I think Wolford and Humphrey are OU offers.

Is JK Dobbins the top 2017 RB on OU's board? I know they like Trey Sermon out of GA
Josh_M: I think he is but with Dobbins, and I truly love the kid as a person and as a player but there is some Jonathan Gray concern there to me.

How many more 4*s could OU have this time tomorrow?
Josh_M: Could? Roughly 75?

Current OU players:

Heard anything about Trevor looking to transfer?
Josh_M: Not a lot but I think it's clear there is, at least, some consideraiton.

Josh, Trevor Knight possible transfer(down the road), does that make consider one more QB for the 2016 class?
Josh_M: maybe but I'd be surprised honestly , I mean JC QBs are almost invariably wasted offers.

Rodney Anderson and the current Sooners offense, plays to his strengths as a player?
Josh_M: I think he can fill the role very well and I think he may even see it as a good fit for him but I think he's better as a downhill north and south guy.

How serious was Anderson's injury?
Josh_M: Pretty serious, I mean obviously he is missing the year.

Will Anderson get a medical redshirt? Will Baker be a Junior next year?
Josh_M: Yeah, he'll get a medical RS. And no, Baker will be a senior, will have to wait until after his SR year to file for hardship - if he so chooses.

Josh, do you recall seeing much of Baker coming out of High School? Any buzz about him from some of your fellow rivals guys or just another guy walking on?
Josh_M: I saw none of him, knew VERY little about him. However I take some pride in that we had him as a 3-star guy.

Josh, considering what Jordan Thomas has become, what caused many of the Big Time programs to look past him? Beating Northwestern for a possible Thorpe award winner from Texas deosan't exactly happen a whole lot.
Josh_M: Actually if you look at recent Thorpe award winners a LOT of overlooked guys. 2009 - Eric Berry and 2010 Patrick Peterson were the last REALLY highly recruited guys to win.
Josh_M: however that being said it was just Oklahoma being able to project him and have the type of engineering program to draw him in.

What young guys will benefit the most from the bowl game, extra practice time. Stoops always says, it separated a few youngsters.
Josh_M: If you made me bet, I'd go with Haughton, MBanasor, Miller, and Sunderland.

In retrospect, should they have redshirted Overton?
Josh_M: Probably, I mean it's not as if either of the two in front of him are gone next year and that experience wouldn't be available to him.

Do you think Steven Parker will be an AA before he leaves OU?

How pissed are you right now if you are Steven Parker?
Josh_M: I doubt he is losing any sleep.

Miscellaneous:

Josh, Better version of the Clemson defense is 2014 or 2015?
Josh_M: 2014 IMO. Lost some ability in their front seven though Mackensie Alexander, to my eyes is a top 3-4 CB in all of CFB.

Will next year be the last one for Riley at OU? If he leaves, will Bob promote Cale Gundy or bring someone from outside? Gundy will have 2 years working with receivers by then
Josh_M: I think so, he'll get some solid offers next year and leaving AFTER a QB runs out of eligibility is always smart. Makes you look an even bigger deal as a new guy learns on the fly.

Heard any rumors about when LR leaves, Stoopsie brings back the Fat Man?
Josh_M: I don't know the fascination with Mangino but I really don't foresee him ever coming back as an assistant.
The Fat Man knows Air Raid?
The Fat Man abides!
I don't have a fascination, just like saying, "The Fat Man"...in my best Bruce Wayne voice.

who do you like for the Heisman?
Josh_M: I think Mayfield SHOULD have won but Henry will.

Josh, pick the losing game for the Warriors? Circle your date.
Josh_M: I'll go with Christmas day against the Cavs.
NBA has sweet xmas uniforms that day! Pelicans really are nice.

how much do calf tats cost?
Josh_M: All depends on how much you bleed. Me? I ain't got time to bleed.

Vacation plans?
Josh_M: Depends, how's my 'go fund me' going?

You excited about Legends coming out Friday. Been waiting for that to come out all fall! I know it won't be Goodfella's but love the Genra!

% of chats that will be moved because you're hen pecked?

Josh_M: Alright guys, enjoyed it as always, next week should be back to normal time on Tuesday!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News