ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Williams Enters Portal

Here's a question: I was thinking about the whole Spencer vs. Caleb fiasco. It is obvious that Riley saw the difference in the 2 qb's in practice long before the fans were calling for Caleb to play. Riley was obviously giving Rattler every opportunity to play regardless if he was the best qb or gave us the best chance of winning. In light of what has transpired with Riley leaving, and Caleb, at least to this point not chasing after Riley and USC, does anyone think it's possible that Riley was doing everything he could not to play Caleb because he knew he was going to USC and wanted to slip out of the backdoor with Caleb before the rest of the CFB world knew what kind of player Caleb is on the college level? I know Caleb was ranked high but he hadn't really established his NIL worth at that point. At this point I wouldn't put it past Riley if that is indeed what was going on.

Not sure if Riley knew all along he was going to leave for U$C or not but wouldn't surprise me. I think Riley knew his NFL stock had dropped and thats where he wants to be I think, in the NFL. If he can have a couple of good seasons at SC then he will likely get a shot. The competition in the SEC would have likely added to his NFL stock dropping making it harder to get any offers to go to the NFL. Look at this past season how we were playing and next season will likely be even tougher.
The whole leaving OU for U$C got a lot of people talking about him and got his name in the spotlight again, good and bad. If he turns U$C around quickly then he will likely bolt to the NFL.

CW
5-2 Record as a starter, No Conference Title Game Appearance, No Conference Title, No playoffs. Not worth 7 figures.

I saw a poster on an SEC board post that Williams and OU were still working on an NIL deal. I have no idea if that’s true.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Some posters on the USC board seem to indicate that Mario Williams went to
USC on a visit, maybe this weekend and supposedly Caleb is/was there too. Who know, I'm ready for it all to be over with so it can start again next year....

Charlie Batch offers cw 1 million via GameAbove Capitol to play for Eastern Michigan. That Will probably never happen cause there's way more money to base his decision on.

For me the Williams/Williams bail out ended 2-3 weeks ago. Caleb chose to hang OU out on a limb and when he did I wanted him gone.
I'm waiting to see what other transfers arrive and for the February signing day and spring drills.
It's probably not going to happen but if he does indeed stay at OU, I'm not sure what I'll think. I agree, he could have been recruiting for OU this whole time but he's out looking out for himself

So apparently USC started winter workouts today but according to this poster, you can still register up until the 28th? I’m grateful Venables hasn’t sat back on his haunches at the qb position:

TrojanEconomist
Posted on 14 hrs, , User Since 125 months ago, User Post Count: 2607

• 14 hrs
  • 125 months
Sorry if already posted, but tomorrow is the first day of spring classes and the 28th is the last day to register.
Not sure how far in the semester we’ve had guys join in the past, but we’re presumably going to finalize our spring roster in the next couple weeks. Then sign the rest of the ‘22 recruits a few days later on the 2nd? Maybe a few more portal pickups in May/June to fill out any gaps from those two windows?
A lot has changed since the last time I really followed a recruiting class…

If Riley is bringing Caleb Williams on then since he’s a sorry douchbag, I wouldn’t put it past him to not announce Williams to USC until the 28th or the absolute latest date possible so he can box his current qb in , in hopes of him not transferring out. Although that would only temporarily box him in I guess

Well USC qb Jaxson Dart just entered the portal, so I guess that means Williams is heading West
You serious? Damn. Hell I saw a video of that Dart kid and he looked pretty good from what I saw. Gabe Ikard said that OU put together a very lucrative offer to Caleb and he's just shopping it around. Frick that guy and his dad and their qb develpement bs.

What would be awesome to see is Williams stay at OU and Riley, Leave him hanging just like Riley did to Williams and the rest of the Sooners. I'm sure he won't, Money talks, and Im sure USC is handing it out now more than they did during the Reggie Bush era.

Yeah I am thinking he is gone. Planned all along I believe by Riley and CW's Dad but waited until after the smoke cleared and the Bowl game so it wouldn't look so bad. Looks bad anyway but imagine what it would have been like if he had announced he was heading out West with Riley when Riley bolted.

Saw a write up today that was talking about the Portal getting out of control. He also said CW entering the Portal while being the #1 QB at a School like Oklahoma is like telling your wife you are gonna see what else is out there and if you cannot find anyone else you will come back to her. He said his wife would say hit the road and don't come back. He said OU should have told that to CW.

Last edited:
What would be awesome to see is Williams stay at OU and Riley, Leave him hanging just like Riley did to Williams and the rest of the Sooners. I'm sure he won't, Money talks, and Im sure USC is handing it out now more than they did during the Reggie Bush era.
What would have been awesome would have been OU publicly pulling his scholarship the minute he entered the portal. Instead, it chose to play the part of a forlorn subject of unrequited love. That is some weak shit from what is supposed to be a blue-blood program. Embarrassing

Yeah I am thinking he is gone. Planned all along I believe by Riley and CW's Dad but waited until after the smoke cleared and the Bowl game so it wouldn't look so bad. Looks bad anyway but imagine what it would have been like if he had announced he was heading out West with Riley when Riley bolted.

Saw a write up today that was talking about the Portal getting out of control. He also said CW entering the Portal while being the #1 QB at a School like Oklahoma is like telling your wife you are gonna see what else is out there and if you cannot find anyone else you will come back to her. He sais his wife would say hit the road and don't come back. He said OU should have told that to CW.
100%

What would have been awesome would have been OU publicly pulling his scholarship the minute he entered the portal. Instead, it chose to play the part of a forlorn subject of unrequited love. That is some weak shit from what is supposed to be a blue-blood program. Embarrassing
Amen, Bro'! I had my fingers crossed that Joe & Co. would jerk his 'ship AND that Decision, out of his hands, IMMEDIATELY! :mad:

I think if Venables wasn’t just taking the job and trying to hold things together, no doubt they would have. I give Venables credit for being proactive with the qb situation, can you imagine how embarrassing it would have been to get this news today and not have a plan in place.

I think if Venables wasn’t just taking the job and trying to hold things together, no doubt they would have. I give Venables credit for being proactive with the qb situation, can you imagine how embarrassing it would have been to get this news today and not have a plan in place.
Dream Scenario...CW opts for OU...Comes back...has to 'try-out' to regain his status as QB#1...Someone else beats him out, and we learn we have found a player who may be a diamond-in-the-rough and can turn Lemons into Lemonade! :cool:

By bringing in Gabriel hours after CW entered, I think OU did tell him to hit the road. Hope he didn't leave anything behind in his dorm room. Would hate to see what would happen to his stuff.
Venables could not wait for CW to finish his game of cat-and-mouse during recruiting season, especially since OU had to try to repair the commitment list, so Gabriel was added. It may have been a case of Venables having no choice but to get Gabriel.

Well USC qb Jaxson Dart just entered the portal, so I guess that means Williams is heading West
Well that sure couldn’t have happened at a more opportune time for Lincoln Riley and USC. No coincidence this news breaking on the same day the NCG game is in.Well Played Riley but you’re a douchebag, you could have handled yourself a lot better with your timing and attempted scorched earth actions.

I would be shocked if CW had any intentions of coming back to Oklahoma as soon as Riley was out the door. And I think we need to move on.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Apparently Lebby following Dart on Twitter may get interesting, I thought Dart’s video looked pretty good

Well that sure couldn’t have happened at a more opportune time for Lincoln Riley and USC. No coincidence this news breaking on the same day the NCG game is in.Well Played Riley but you’re a douchebag, you could have handled yourself a lot better with your timing and attempted scorched earth actions.
Riley is creepy but he’s also devilishly clever. He had a plan when he left OU. But he still has to develop players and that’s his weakness. At least it was at OU.

For What It's Worth: I asked a good friend (neighbor on my street) that is a USC grad to run a check on the Caleb story with his big money donor buddies. My guy is wealthy but is not a USC donor or a football fan. He has extensive business holdings in SoCal with old USC GDI buddies that keeps him in contact. He knocked on my door a couple hours ago with a six of Anchor Porter (our favorite). He said big money has been offered but yet to be accepted to CW as of noon today. Based on two years with incentives like conference champions, natty champions etc. His guess of big money was $2.5 to $3.0 a year base with car and allowances. He was absolutely shocked with what he heard. He said "USC learned nothing from OJ". He had no idea who CW was before today and was shocked to learn high schoolers go to the highest bidder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT