ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Sims BBQ...

Oh yeah, I made that Wayne's McD's circuit many a time in my '67 Stang. That's where the blue and the red, and occasional green came together. McD's always had an off-duty cop standing by the door. I never worried about those guys, though - My dad's best man was in charge of vice and detectives and Chief Gilliam was a member of his lodge. haha...... That said, I did have a lot of eyes on me and things had a way of making it to the old man through "unofficial" channels if I got a little close to the line. I went to Ike, but of course I remember Orville "Bo" Bowman and Coach Tyree. I went to the 1970 state championship game against Randy Hughes and Tulsa Memorial at Owen Field and watched the Wolverines bring home the bacon. I'm thinking that might have been the year that Ed Gholson was the state player of the year. It's been a minute.

I might be a tad younger than you, but we went to Shakey's for the beer. If one, or both of the Newry brothers were there, we were golden. :)

Man, I wish fitty was here to chime in.

Was thinking Same, V...fitty added MUCH to ANY Convo, but for this one, he would be in his element...Board hasn't been the same without him...:(:mad:

Oh yeah, I made that Wayne's McD's circuit many a time in my '67 Stang. That's where the blue and the red, and occasional green came together. McD's always had an off-duty cop standing by the door. I never worried about those guys, though - My dad's best man was in charge of vice and detectives and Chief Gilliam was a member of his lodge. haha...... That said, I did have a lot of eyes on me and things had a way of making it to the old man through "unofficial" channels if I got a little close to the line. I went to Ike, but of course I remember Orville "Bo" Bowman and Coach Tyree. I went to the 1970 state championship game against Randy Hughes and Tulsa Memorial at Owen Field and watched the Wolverines bring home the bacon. I'm thinking that might have been the year that Ed Gholson was the state player of the year. It's been a minute.

I might be a tad younger than you, but we went to Shakey's for the beer. If one, or both of the Newry brothers were there, we were golden. :)

Man, I wish fitty was here to chime in.
quick bbq mention from the old days...did anyone have those .10 bbq sandwiches from jarrell's iga on gore? for a dime they were pretty tasty! and to you V59 i always thot we had the tradition but ike had the babes! and my sled was an old stang too. a cream and black 68 that replaced my parents green station wagon as the cruising vessel. and one more coincidence i was at that game against the chargers too V59. my brother was a guard on that team. his best buddy was alan roundtree the qb. heckuva game 13-7 as i recall. of course you'll remember that ike started to eclipse LHS after the 48-8 game from 70. so that by the time i was a wolverine in 79 it was a toss-up if not an outright underdog role for the red and white.

Life is funny. I went to a Swadley's once and that was enough for me. Will never go back. Went to the Billy Sims BBQ in Guthrie and it wasn't bad. Nothing to write home about, but better than the crap I got at Swadley's.

We usually go to Earls BBQ on Western. Oklahoma Station in OKC used to be good. However, we went there about 5 months ago and it was pure crap. Won't ever go back. Leo's in OKC used to be good, but haven't been there in years.

Van's Pig Stand in Norman used to be good as well, but haven't been there in years as well.
I used to think Van's was really good, but the last couple of times the ribs were awful. Swadley's is average, at best, IMO.

Reactions: JConXtsy
There is a new place (new to me, anyway) in OKC on NW Expressway between MacArthur and Rockwell called "Smoked Out," run by a young couple. I dropped by there and picked up some BBQ about 2 weeks ago. It was really good, especially the ribs.

Reactions: iasooner1
quick bbq mention from the old days...did anyone have those .10 bbq sandwiches from jarrell's iga on gore? for a dime they were pretty tasty! and to you V59 i always thot we had the tradition but ike had the babes! and my sled was an old stang too. a cream and black 68 that replaced my parents green station wagon as the cruising vessel. and one more coincidence i was at that game against the chargers too V59. my brother was a guard on that team. his best buddy was alan roundtree the qb. heckuva game 13-7 as i recall. of course you'll remember that ike started to eclipse LHS after the 48-8 game from 70. so that by the time i was a wolverine in 79 it was a toss-up if not an outright underdog role for the red and white.

Never had the sandwiches from Jarrels on Gore. My favorite spot on Gore was Ray's Pharmacy. Scotty was the cook and he plated some mighty fine lunches.

I graduated in '77 from Ike, so I guess I was a little ahead of you. We won two out of three against LHS when I was in high school. I don't remember the score of the game in 70, but you're probably right. It was a low-scoring affair.

Then you're referencing something other than what used to be "Oklahoma Joe's" and is now "Joe's Kansas City Barbecue". Not surprised, because I've never heard anyone call their barbecue "average".

As you can see, they don't have any locations outside of the greater KC area.

https://www.joeskc.com/pages/restaurants

https://www.joeskc.com/pages/our-story
Hmmmm...because I typed in Oklahoma Joe’s BBQ into the top of my safari, and it came back with:

Oklahoma Joe’s BBQ
333 W Albany
Broken Arrow, OK

Hmmmm...because I typed in Oklahoma Joe’s BBQ into the top of my safari, and it came back with:

Oklahoma Joe’s BBQ
333 W Albany
Broken Arrow, OK

Not the same, and is one of the reasons that Joe's KC changed its name a few years ago. I stated in my original post on this subject "formerly Oklahoma Joe's".

Now, if you want to know... the guy that owns Oklahoma Joe's in Broken Arrow was one of the original partners with the guy in KC. He ran OK Joe's in Stillwater and Jeff Stehey ran the Joe's at the Sinclair station in KCK. Both restaurants opened in 1996. In 1997, Joe Don Davidson moved to Texas and closed the doors of the Stilly location. At that time, Stehey became the sole owner of Oklahoma Joe's. Donaldson moved back to OK in 2000. In 2011, he opened a restaurant by the same name in Broken Arrow, but it was in no way affiliated with the real thing in KC. A few years ago, the Stehey's and Davidson worked out a deal where the Stehey's would change the name of their restaurants within five years and both parties would stay out of each other's territory until 2021.

Anyway, it's the same Joe in Broken Arrow, but it isn't the same barbecue. Davidson hasn't been part of the Original Oklahoma Joe's in over 20 years, and still isn't. Even the links I posted, and the ones you replied to clearly refer to Joe's KC Barbecue, not Oklahoma Joe's.

https://www.thepitchkc.com/food-dri...ony-bourdains-13-places-to-eat-before-he-dies

Last edited:
Joes KC is ok but it is kind of a paper plate second place to Jacks Stack. I eat at both and will always prefer the Stack. One of this country’s finest. Just a little on the pricey side.

Joes KC is ok but it is kind of a paper plate second place to Jacks Stack. I eat at both and will always prefer the Stack. One of this country’s finest. Just a little on the pricey side.

I guess that's why both are still open. The only time I eat at Fiorelli's is if I'm in town on a Sunday, since Joe's is closed on Sundays. It's good, but I prefer Joe's.

On another note, I've lived (or been based out of) the KC area since 2003 but I've never done Gate's or Arthur Bryant's. Well, I tried AB's out by the speedway, but surely that can't be the same. Any thoughts on the originals, other than Prospect is no place for a you-know-what?

I guess that's why both are still open. The only time I eat at Fiorelli's is if I'm in town on a Sunday, since Joe's is closed on Sundays. It's good, but I prefer Joe's.

On another note, I've lived (or been based out of) the KC area since 2003 but I've never done Gate's or Arthur Bryant's. Well, I tried AB's out by the speedway, but surely that can't be the same. Any thoughts on the originals, other than Prospect is no place for a you-know-what?

I was at the orginal AB's in KC in March. It was good, not great.

Q39 is Far Superior and the best ribs I've had anywhere. Franklin's in Austin is worth the wait. Especially coming from Enid where we are lacking in good BBQ. Although Swadley's wasn't bad.

Call me a homer, but Roy’s right here in town is as good as I’ve ever had. Jack Stack would probably be 2nd. Hayward’s back in their prime (10-15 yrs. ago) was awfully good as well. I haven’t been there since they moved to Lenexa though so I can’t speak for it now.

I was at the orginal AB's in KC in March. It was good, not great.

Q39 is Far Superior and the best ribs I've had anywhere. Franklin's in Austin is worth the wait. Especially coming from Enid where we are lacking in good BBQ. Although Swadley's wasn't bad.

Good to know. I've not tried Q39 yet, but everyone I know who's been there say it's really good. Franklin's is on my bucket list, but I just haven't had any reason to go to Austin. Might have to be a special trip one day.

If you just like smoked meat.... 10/20 in Richarson was pretty fantasic before I left town in 2015. It was pricey, but great meat.

ok have just been informed that the 2 best places in our area are Butchers in Wellston or this place....Maples Barbecue - 1800 NW 16th st, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73106 - . from what my sources say both are fantastic. apparently packed and not a walk in and eat situation. plan on going to both soon so if i'm wrong apologies!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT