ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Sims BBQ...

22LR

Sooner signee
Dec 1, 2015
EDIT: The following was posted 3 years ago. Please scroll down for an update dated May 12, 2019.

The Swadley's BBQ place in my town is closed on Sundays. So I picked up some chopped brisket and smoked chicken sandwiches for Sunday lunch from Billy Sims.

It was my first visit.

Pre-packaged lukewarm "smoked" meats wrapped in shrink-wrap, cut opened with a knife to where you get last Tuesday's meat mixed with polyvinyl chloride plastic wrap from perhaps China. Sides were pre-packaged last Monday. If I die, please send Billy Sims to yell "BOOOMER" through my entire funeral service. A recording will do.

Last edited:
Good BBQ is hard to find when they serve up large quantities to the masses. It's just difficult to do in reality. I can smoke meat better than most BBQ houses. I just can't serve up large quantities. Smoking for a family gathering or small party is very doable and I do it w/o time & budgetary restraints. When one does it for profit, things change considerably. From the description of the post from the OP, it sounds like Billy Sims BBQ is becoming the Taco Bell of BBQ in OKC.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
The Swadley's BBQ place in my town is closed on Sundays. So I picked up some chopped brisket and smoked chicken sandwiches for Sunday lunch.

It was my first visit.

Pre-packaged lukewarm "smoked" meats wrapped in shrink-wrap, cut opened with a knife to where you get last Tuesday's meat mixed with polyvinyl chloride plastic wrap from perhaps China. Sides were pre-packaged last Monday. If I die, please send Billy Sims to yell "BOOOMER" through my entire funeral service. A recording will do.

Was not impressed by the one in Pryor. Here in Shawnee, Billy Boys and Vans Pig Stand are much better.

Good BBQ is hard to find when they serve up large quantities to the masses. It's just difficult to do in reality. I can smoke meat better than most BBQ houses. I just can't serve up large quantities. Smoking for a family gathering or small party is very doable and I do it w/o time & budgetary restraints. When one does it for profit, things change considerably. From the description of the post from the OP, it sounds like Billy Sims BBQ is becoming the Taco Bell of BBQ in OKC.
Yes, I rarely eat the commercial stuff anymore.
I will go out of my way to eat the fresh at a barbecue/smoking at a contest.

I agree. I can smoke the hell out of ribs, brisket and my favorite....Chicken thighs with wings attached. Rub some Head Country seasoning and brush on his BBQ sauce. Yum Yum! I just wish I had some good teeth to eat it.............HA!

I went to a brand new B Sims "grand opening" event in Sand Springs a few years back when I was hanging at Keystone and I had a hat from one of Steve Owens friends to drop off to Billy who was there promoting the new place. I thought it was OK but it was early in the day and they were probably 'putting on the dog' since the boss was there. I can see where it would be just another franchise joint.

I stop at Okie Joe's in Shawnee Mission whenever I have the time...

I went to a brand new B Sims "grand opening" event in Sand Springs a few years back when I was hanging at Keystone and I had a hat from one of Steve Owens friends to drop off to Billy who was there promoting the new place. I thought it was OK but it was early in the day and they were probably 'putting on the dog' since the boss was there. I can see where it would be just another franchise joint.

I stop at Okie Joe's in Shawnee Mission whenever I have the time...

Gary, Billy Sims just opened one in Burlington, IA.

Reactions: iasooner1
Was not impressed by the one in Pryor. Here in Shawnee, Billy Boys and Vans Pig Stand are much better.
Seems like Billy Boys raised their prices when they moved moved into their new place a few years ago. I haven't been to Vans in years. Anyone ever been to Ben's BBQ back in the day? I believe it was one of the best around

I go to Rib Crib in Bixby when I get a craving for BBQ. I like BBQ but my brother LOVES BBQ and smokes something every week. He watches all the BBQ shows on cable, read books, and visits every BBQ joint that has a good following wherever he goes. We are driving to Alabama in September to play the Robert Trent Jones golf trail for a week and he insist that we stop in Memphis so he can try out one of the famous BBQ joints. Unfortunately, most of the ones he wanted to sample will be closed when we breeze through Memphis since it will on a Sunday. I lived in Memphis for a year back in the mid-70's and wasn't impressed so much with the BBQ offerings. Good but nothing special in my opinion. We are going to try Central BBQ since it is open seven days a week. Every time.....every time, he goes to the more famous joints, he leaves disappointed. I do have to admit his own BBQ is excellent. Regardless, my Bro will continue his quest to find the perfect Q. I like that about him. He has eaten at some great places that are his favorites, but its big name joints that disappoint him. Maybe he should just admit that he has already found the best and accept it. :)

Many years ago I used to go to a BBQ joint near Putman City High School in OKC. I can't remember the name, but it was excellent.

Slicks and My Other Place in Muskogee were old fashioned smokem in your face joints. Excellent! Ice cold bottled Pepsi instead of fountain drinks. Food served on wax paper...........

Rib Crib uses electric smokers. Not my cup of tea........

Life is funny. I went to a Swadley's once and that was enough for me. Will never go back. Went to the Billy Sims BBQ in Guthrie and it wasn't bad. Nothing to write home about, but better than the crap I got at Swadley's.

We usually go to Earls BBQ on Western. Oklahoma Station in OKC used to be good. However, we went there about 5 months ago and it was pure crap. Won't ever go back. Leo's in OKC used to be good, but haven't been there in years.

Van's Pig Stand in Norman used to be good as well, but haven't been there in years as well.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Life is funny. I went to a Swadley's once and that was enough for me. Will never go back. Went to the Billy Sims BBQ in Guthrie and it wasn't bad. Nothing to write home about, but better than the crap I got at Swadley's.

We usually go to Earls BBQ on Western. Oklahoma Station in OKC used to be good. However, we went there about 5 months ago and it was pure crap. Won't ever go back. Leo's in OKC used to be good, but haven't been there in years.

Van's Pig Stand in Norman used to be good as well, but haven't been there in years as well.

Life is crappy.

They have plenty of good bbq in central Texas. They have families that continue to be consistent generation to generation. There is one in town that is supposedly the best and it's fairly new compared to the others. You can get there early and wait in line for lunch. They sell out daily and you may wait in line and leave empty handed. Typical of Austin I guess. I refuse to check it out when there's good alternatives.

I frequented Tom's BBQ on I-35 and NE 10th Street in OKC when I was living/working in OKC and Switzer was our HC. I have seen him there a few times with some of his players. Once Little Joe , his wife and Barry were having lunch there when Joe was playing in the NFL. Joe's wife was talking with Barry and I couldn't help over hear (ha,ha....liked I tried not to hear) Joe's wife asking for Barry's advice with regard to Joe's contract. Joe didn't say a word but his wife wasn't pleased with the offer...whatever it was. Barry was a good listener and didn't say much, which I found to be kinda funny. Tom's was one of those places that you went for the atmosphere rather than the BBQ. You were apt to see anybody there. Tom's and Pulliam's (also on N.E. 10th) were two favorites for downtown and state capitol white collar people. Great places to break up the day around lunch time.

Last edited:

Mmmmmm... I forgot about Van's in Norman. That was my go-to weekly BBQ when I lived in Norman. Best chopped brisket sandwich I've ever had, double that sentiment when you serve it at a student's affordability.

Other notables - Dink's Pit BBQ in Bartlesville
Ten50 in Richardson, TX - overpriced, but great smoked meats
Salt Lick (of course) in Buda, TX (?) - best BBQ overall I've had, but I had been drinking all day on the river, so my senses might have been skewed

And I managed to find some good smoked meats out here in LA, but they only smoke the meats on the weekend. It's "The Handy Market" in Burbank. It's a tiny corner / grocery store.

Mmmmmm... I forgot about Van's in Norman. That was my go-to weekly BBQ when I lived in Norman. Best chopped brisket sandwich I've ever had, double that sentiment when you serve it at a student's affordability.

Salt Lick (of course) in Buda, TX (?) - best BBQ overall I've had, but I had been drinking all day on the river, so my senses might have been skewed

And I managed to find some good smoked meats out here in LA, but they only smoke the meats on the weekend. It's "The Handy Market" in Burbank. It's a tiny corner / grocery store.

Salt Lick was pretty good. Cash only and no beer sold there, but you can bring your own cooler of beer. If only I had known before I got there. But some Longhorn fans were kind enough to share a brew with us and refused to take any money. Of course, this wasn't during football season. Anyway we had a memorable time at the Salt Lick.

JCon try Chris and Pits in Santa Ana / Anaheim if you get down that way, not sure where your at in so cal but that has always Been outstanding when I've gone there! It's between the 22 and 405 on Harbor blvd

JCon try Chris and Pits in Santa Ana / Anaheim if you get down that way, not sure where your at in so cal but that has always Been outstanding when I've gone there! It's between the 22 and 405 on Harbor blvd

Thanks, PS. I live right next to the Bob Hope Burbank Airport. I'm headed down to San Diego this weekend and might swing by it if I have time on the way back, or I'll look for it next time I take the kiddo down to Disneyland.

Thanks, royg, for mentioning Earl's and Oklahoma Station. I was surprised no one had. I am partial to Earl's, on Memorial, because it is nearby. I previously enjoyed Oklahoma Station, but when they closed their NWX Store, it didn't seem worth the trouble to drive to their old location at 50th and Meridian. I also heard poor Reviews about them. I buy quite a bit of BBQ for entertaining visiting family. They still have the hollow legs and bottomless pits that are Always Empty! The meats and Okra at Earl's are good, but MY Sides are better than theirs. :p

As for Billy's...I, like probably most of us, went there the first time to give One of OUr Own a chance to succeed with his new business. However, there was NOTHING about it to encourage a return visit...

The New Reader's Choice Voting has just come out, and these are 'Supposedly' The Most Popular 5 in the BBQ Category...I'll try to report the winner, once that has been determined.

Barbecue
  • Earl's Rib Palace
  • Flying Pig BBQ
  • Dale's BBQ House
  • Swadley's Bar-B-Q
  • Billy Sims Barbeque

Texas is the epicenter of BBQ, mainly because the state is so big and diverse it has several different types of BBQ available. It's geographic in terms of the state as well as the nation....Kansas City, Memphis, North Carolina, etc. Central Texas style BBQ is considered the main Texas style and it's different from BBQ in East Texas. The list of outstanding BBQ joints in Central Texas is a who's who of legendary BBQ restaurants led by Franklin's in Austin...
a James Beard Award winner (the equivalent of an Oscar in the culinary world. Others in Central Texas considered the best of the best....BLACK'S & Kreuz Market both in Lockhart, Mueller's in Taylor. There are many others and they all have specialties. Houston alone has numerous great ones but Killen's in Pearland may be the best.

You guys need to try Bad Brads in Pawhuska Oklahoma if you want some good BBQ. It will be worth your drive. If you have a boat you can hit Bluestem lake that is about 5 minutes away. It's a major party lake in the summer. Probably 100 docks on it that stay packed.

Dink's quality has went downhill the last couple of years. Ribs are always dried out. It rates with Bilky Sims now as far as quality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT