ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Sims BBQ...

Ah, Sutphens, Underwoods...done them both many times.
In fact, when I was lifting weights thrice weekly, I could power down a bunch of Sutphens pork ribs.

Good times.

I used to lift weights. I miss those days. Health problems and old age suck..........

mouse-excercising-on-mouse-trap.gif

Isn't it though?
The day I benched 230...I was KING! :D

When I lifted I never went over 110 pounds. My routine was for fitness, not body mass. 35 to 45 pounds on my arms. 75 for my chest and legs.

Jake Gibbs, a former catcher from the Yankees taught me the program. Lot's of sit ups and push ups to go along with the program. He also told me 90% of weight lifters do not work out the legs as they should.

Reactions: iasooner1
Grew up in Tulsa with the Naughty Pine on Charles Page Boulevard was by far the best BBQ around. My parents went to high school with the proprietors kids. Don't know what ever happened to the place (I have not lived in OK in years = sad but true).

RAS

Ate there many times RAS. I believe it burned down.(Not Sure). They opened one in Broken Arrow and it sucked.

Thanks, PS. I live right next to the Bob Hope Burbank Airport. I'm headed down to San Diego this weekend and might swing by it if I have time on the way back, or I'll look for it next time I take the kiddo down to Disneyland.

Try Phil's BBQ in San Diego. 3 or 4 locations. Great BBQ. Would also recommend Baby Blues BBQ in Santa Monica and West Hollywood.

I forgot to mention a couple of years ago I went to Baby Blues in W. Hollywood and by coincidence ran into Barry Switzer and Brian Bosworth at the restaurant. Both men were as down to earth and as gracious as could be. Spoke to Barry for about an hour. What an experience!! And good food to boot.

Last edited:
No votes for Leo's in OKC? When mama Leo was still alive, she used to bring uncut green onions to your table on the same plate as the strawberry cake. She'd sing 'old rugged cross' in between calling dad Leo a lazy bastard.

Vans is good, but I thought a tornado wrecked the original one with the smokehouse?

Swadleys is good. It is pretty fantastic, actually.

The Swadley's BBQ place in my town is closed on Sundays. So I picked up some chopped brisket and smoked chicken sandwiches for Sunday lunch from Billy Sims.

It was my first visit.

Pre-packaged lukewarm "smoked" meats wrapped in shrink-wrap, cut opened with a knife to where you get last Tuesday's meat mixed with polyvinyl chloride plastic wrap from perhaps China. Sides were pre-packaged last Monday.

OK, so I posted the above three years ago. Today I found myself in a jam and had to pull a Mother's Day miracle out of my hat. So I went to the local Billy Sims BBQ joint, picked up some chopped brisket, smoked chicken, baked potato salad, hickory sauce and the usual other stiff. I must say, it was outstanding. Whatever the problems were 3 years ago have been fixed, and now Billy Sims BBQ is on my list of go-to places.

Billy's was better when they first started out. I can't say it was the greatest, but not too bad. Now that the owner has made a bazillion dollars off Billy, he's cut the quality and raised the prices. I like Ray's in Norman when I'm craving.
Ray's is really good. And Ray is a Sooner and a good dude.

I have never been disappointed with any BBQ places I have tried in KC. This with exception to Billy Sims BBQ. When you are up against the likes of Jacks Stack...KC Joes (formerly Oklahoma Joes) and local joints like Woodyards and LC’s, you probably should respectfully bow out. I was a bit surprised to see zippo OU memorabilia at Billy’s place in OP. One of the more famous Sooners of all time. Eye roll.

In my past non vegetarian days my favorite was Leos BBQ on NE 36th and Kelly.

The food channel show Diners Drive-ins and Dives featured Leos BBQ. This should tell you about their quality.

Their BBQ was excellent as were their sides. Both their mild sauce and hot sauce
was great
They also had strawberry cake which was fantastic.

It was always crowded when I went there.
VIDEO: Food Channel's Diners Drive-ins and Dives visiting Leo's BBQ in OKC

Last edited:
I've been to Billy Sims BBQ one time.....in Ada. Surprisingly expensive. Never again
Me too. At the grand opening of a Sand Springs store & Billy was there. I had a hat from a friend of his in Miami to deliver to him & of course he was gracious. . Food was ok but cannot compete with Joe's in OP, or Jacks Stack or KC Masterpiece

boy you pulled that one out of the way-back time machine SS. i was a youngster in the late 60's and early 70's when underwood was at its peak. for years i thot it was the only bbq place in the world. closed for a long time now.
I LIVE in the way-back time machine, Tollboothmgr! :p

Husband was @ Ft. Sill for the longest 90 days in history, when we 'Discovered' Underwoods, and were hooked! Always tried to plan Road Trips around a stop there. You are right...It NEVER Disappointed!

I LIVE in the way-back time machine, Tollboothmgr! :p

Husband was @ Ft. Sill for the longest 90 days in history, when we 'Discovered' Underwoods, and were hooked! Always tried to plan Road Trips around a stop there. You are right...It NEVER Disappointed!

I ate a bunch of Underwoods back in the day. It was on Crash Road right next to Forducey's (Four Deuces on the sign) Western Wear, a stones throw from Shakey's Pizza Parlor. I've eaten a lot better barbecue since then, but damn... Shakey's Pizza was the best.

I ate a bunch of Underwoods back in the day. It was on Crash Road right next to Forducey's (Four Deuces on the sign) Western Wear, a stones throw from Shakey's Pizza Parlor. I've eaten a lot better barbecue since then, but damn... Shakey's Pizza was the best.
For a lot of years, V, Shakey's and Sussy's had the Pizza Market in their pockets, here, in OKC...Both were Top Notch...None of the present Chains can touch 'em, IMO...

i know we're straying off topic but since you brought it up V59...Shakey's pizza was not the best pizza in Ltown but next to Biancos or PizzaHut (this is lawton remember circa 1970) they were the best, plus had the youth market cornered. as i remember shakey's was thinner and had an unusual cheesy taste that i've never had since. also love the crash road reference! my first wreck was leaving a record store on crash road and clipping a motorcycle that righted itself and chased a panicked 15-year old all the way back home to gore blvd.

i know we're straying off topic but since you brought it up V59...Shakey's pizza was not the best pizza in Ltown but next to Biancos or PizzaHut (this is lawton remember circa 1970) they were the best, plus had the youth market cornered. as i remember shakey's was thinner and had an unusual cheesy taste that i've never had since. also love the crash road reference! my first wreck was leaving a record store on crash road and clipping a motorcycle that righted itself and chased a panicked 15-year old all the way back home to gore blvd.

haha..... glad you picked up on the L-Town vernacular. They called it Crash Road for a reason, as you can well attest. Agree that Bianco's and Pizza Hut of yesteryear were also really good. I'm going to throw another pizza joint at you that you might remember from that era; Dante's. It was awfully good, too. They were in an A-Frame building, also on Cache Rd, but closer to Sheridan. But man, Shakey's Bunch o' Lunch was deeee bomb!

Were you at Abraxas or Brothers and Sisters right before you assaulted that poor motorcyclist? :D

I'll never forget a sign that Shakey's displayed...It made Major Points with me...'We have a deal with our Banker...He doesn't make Pizza, and we don't cash checks'.:)

1) Billy Sims is hit and miss with the BBQ. It’s a distant third here in Tulsa, with Burn Co and Albert G’s so much better, and consistently so.

2) My cousin, Daniel Vaughn, travels all across Texas and writes for a magazine (Texas Monthly) about the best BBQ places. It really is a good read on the history of BBQ, and the top joints in Texas. He also blogs as “The BBQ Snob”, and dishes on all the good spots across the country. “The Prophets of Smoked Meats”. If you like BBQ, give it a look.

3) I worked at the original Van’s Pig Stand in Shawnee for multiple summers and holidays. It was a great place to work. The manager is still there (Linda), and there are now multiple stores across Oklahoma.

Best barbecue (ribs) ever for me was Willingham's in Memphis before it burned down. Last time I was in that place was during the Mid-America Air Show circa 2001, and the Thunderbirds were in there having a late lunch.

Close 2nd, and maybe even a tie for 1st is Joe's KC BBQ, formerly Oklahoma Joe's. Joe's, for me, is probably the best overall, as they do ribs, pulled pork, and brisket equally well. Joe's also was on Anthony Bourdain's "10 places to Eat Before You Die" list.

The best BBQ beans, by a wide margin, were at Interstate BBQ in Memphis. For Chicken or Pork Shoulder, it's Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, Alabama.... by a mile.

@JConXtsy My son in Redondo Beach told me that they opened a Willingham's World Famous Barbecue out near him. He hasn't tried it, yet, and John Willingham died a few years ago, but the guy who opened the one in Redondo says he uses John's personally designed cookers and recipes and the ratings are really good, so if you haven't tried it, you might want to. John Willingham was a two-time Grand Champion of Memphis in May before he opened his restaurant.

haha..... glad you picked up on the L-Town vernacular. They called it Crash Road for a reason, as you can well attest. Agree that Bianco's and Pizza Hut of yesteryear were also really good. I'm going to throw another pizza joint at you that you might remember from that era; Dante's. It was awfully good, too. They were in an A-Frame building, also on Cache Rd, but closer to Sheridan. But man, Shakey's Bunch o' Lunch was deeee bomb!

Were you at Abraxas or Brothers and Sisters right before you assaulted that poor motorcyclist? :D
oh man we should open our own l-town thread huh? records you say...why brothers and sisters of course! also...speaking of the A-frame...dante's was more of an ike thing as i recall? ....but we ALL did waynes....the mug for no i-d beer (mickey's big mouth)...heck my first ticket ever was cruising the waynes mcdonalds drag and a popo popped me for expired inspection sticker (remember those?) causing me massive embarrassment as you might imagine! even asked the guy to cut me loose along those lines and he just sneered not a chance twerp. not a good lasting impression. but since we've exposed our heritage did you know coach bowman or coach tyree? Lawton had some good football back then

@JConXtsy My son in Redondo Beach told me that they opened a Willingham's World Famous Barbecue out near him. He hasn't tried it, yet, and John Willingham died a few years ago, but the guy who opened the one in Redondo says he uses John's personally designed cookers and recipes and the ratings are really good, so if you haven't tried it, you might want to. John Willingham was a two-time Grand Champion of Memphis in May before he opened his restaurant.

Definitely haven't tried it, but I definitely will. My lady's favorite beach spot is Hermosa, so we are down in that area frequently on weekends. I'll convince her to grab some BBQ down there before she wipes herself out with the son one of these days. Thanks for the tip.

In the Burbank area, the only place I've found decent is The Handy Market on Magnolia. It's not true BBQ though (no sauce) and more of a smoke "house" - not a house but a smoker in the parking lot. They only smoke meat on the weekends and people line up to get it. Not crazy lines - 10 people or so. I grab the meat there and then use my favorite sauce(s). As far as I know outside of the Handy Market, The LA Valley is devoid of any bbq worth paying a dime for. 4M+ people - 0 BBQ.....pathetic.

I’ve had OK Joes twice. Both times were average.

There’s a little shack in Wellston that just won a World Championship in BBQ. It was real good. Their beans are out of this world good as well.
you're talking about Butcher's BBQ. my buddy says it's the best but get there EARLY.

I loved Sutphen's in Southroads Mall area in Tul when I was coming up; they were family style, all you can eat and had good beans & onion rings. Last I heard they had a small catering service (only) out by the airport but that may be gone by now

Reactions: veritas59
I’ve had OK Joes twice. Both times were average.

There’s a little shack in Wellston that just won a World Championship in BBQ. It was real good. Their beans are out of this world good as well.

Did you go to the original at the Sinclair station or one of the new ones?

oh man we should open our own l-town thread huh? records you say...why brothers and sisters of course! also...speaking of the A-frame...dante's was more of an ike thing as i recall? ....but we ALL did waynes....the mug for no i-d beer (mickey's big mouth)...heck my first ticket ever was cruising the waynes mcdonalds drag and a popo popped me for expired inspection sticker (remember those?) causing me massive embarrassment as you might imagine! even asked the guy to cut me loose along those lines and he just sneered not a chance twerp. not a good lasting impression. but since we've exposed our heritage did you know coach bowman or coach tyree? Lawton had some good football back then

Oh yeah, I made that Wayne's McD's circuit many a time in my '67 Stang. That's where the blue and the red, and occasional green came together. McD's always had an off-duty cop standing by the door. I never worried about those guys, though - My dad's best man was in charge of vice and detectives and Chief Gilliam was a member of his lodge. haha...... That said, I did have a lot of eyes on me and things had a way of making it to the old man through "unofficial" channels if I got a little close to the line. I went to Ike, but of course I remember Orville "Bo" Bowman and Coach Tyree. I went to the 1970 state championship game against Randy Hughes and Tulsa Memorial at Owen Field and watched the Wolverines bring home the bacon. I'm thinking that might have been the year that Ed Gholson was the state player of the year. It's been a minute.

I might be a tad younger than you, but we went to Shakey's for the beer. If one, or both of the Newry brothers were there, we were golden. :)

Man, I wish fitty was here to chime in.

Definitely haven't tried it, but I definitely will. My lady's favorite beach spot is Hermosa, so we are down in that area frequently on weekends. I'll convince her to grab some BBQ down there before she wipes herself out with the son one of these days. Thanks for the tip.

In the Burbank area, the only place I've found decent is The Handy Market on Magnolia. It's not true BBQ though (no sauce) and more of a smoke "house" - not a house but a smoker in the parking lot. They only smoke meat on the weekends and people line up to get it. Not crazy lines - 10 people or so. I grab the meat there and then use my favorite sauce(s). As far as I know outside of the Handy Market, The LA Valley is devoid of any bbq worth paying a dime for. 4M+ people - 0 BBQ.....pathetic.

https://easyreadernews.com/bbq-champ-comes-to-redondo-restaurant-review/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT