ADVERTISEMENT

Baker's Presser...

So the Heisman statement involving “integrity” is null and void because children (18-22) are too young to hsve it.
Poor babies.

So you are saying he has no integrity because of a few mistakes? Or that he lost all his integrity because of a few mistakes?
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Would you want to be judged your whole life based on some silly mistakes you made in your 20''s? My god man these are football players, they are not saints.

Reactions: iasooner1
So you are saying he has no integrity because of a few mistakes? Or that he lost all his integrity because of a few mistakes?
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Would you want to be judged your whole life based on some silly mistakes you made in your 20''s? My god man these are football players, they are not saints.
Let's just say he seems to be running out of apologies.
As a college player, he represents much more than just himself. As an NFL player, it won't matter.

Let's not pretend the past Heisman winners is a list of role models. The voters have made it clear over the years that the "integrity" part means diddly, much less giving it to the best player.

Snub Baker though and it will be some of the biggest fuel ever poured onto his eternal flame...

...fine by me.

Let's not pretend the past Heisman winners is a list of role models. The voters have made it clear over the years that the "integrity" part means diddly, much less giving it to the best player.

Snub Baker though and it will be some of the biggest fuel ever poured onto his eternal flame...

...fine by me.
With Winston and Manziel winning the award in recent years, the "integrity" part is gone forever.
And for the record, I've never advocated NOT giving Baker the Heisman....only that I wish he would represent his team, coaches and OU better.

With Winston and Manziel winning the award in recent years, the "integrity" part is gone forever.
And for the record, I've never advocated NOT giving Baker the Heisman....only that I wish he would represent his team, coaches and OU better.

I understand. For me though, I just kinda take the good with bad because the pros far outweigh the cons. I don't believe he's a "bad guy". He's very passionate and he's played the sport with more emotion than any player I've ever seen. Sometimes that emotional combined with nature of the game gets the better of him. No real harm, no actual foul.

Articles and reports about his character seem to generally point that he's a good guy and like many past Sooners does things around the community that are all positive.

The "integrity" part was over with Paul Hornung. There's been plenty of Heisman winner who had much bigger issues than Mayfield. This thing has been blown way, way, way out of proportion. He didn't take a swing at anyone. He doesn't have a kid or two out of wedlock with a baby mama. He doesn't have a felony arrest record like this guy:

The Nebraska Board of Pardons granted Rodgers' request for a full pardon for his 1970 felony theft from a Lincoln gas station when he was an 18-year-old college freshman. The board's three members — Gov. Dave Heineman, Secretary of State John Gale and Attorney General Jon Bruning — all voted in favor of the pardon after a roughly 10-minute hearing.

He hasn't been accused of rape, like Jameis Winston or kicked out of school for stealing a laptop like Cam Newton.

There's just a few examples of Heisman winners that had major eff-ups before winning the trophy. And we all know of many examples of those who committed egregious acts after winning it. Character my ass. The Heisman is about the best football player in the country. And he's on our team.

Now close your eyes and imagine me my grabbing my crotch and saying FU to anyone who disagrees.

This selective outrage BS is ridiculous.

I don't know what the world is coming to when our quarterback acts as badly as someone in public office.

I really didn't like what Baker did, and I would probably assess a rather harsh, but different type of punishment. I would like for him to research the behavior of public officials and write three thousand words on what it reveals.

I was unhappy about the flag incident, and I wrote (email) to Mossman and suggested that OU fly Baker to Ohio State to apologize in person to the team and the fans. But, it was time to address the issue then, in which case there probably would not have been a case in Kansas. I can live with the non-starting, but it is not how I would have handled it. I want OU to teach Baker.

But, my real irritation is with the Kansas coach. I have a very difficult time believing that three captains and two little children went out to the circle, and not one of them responded when Baker extended his hand. That means there was an orchestration that involved two small children. Tell me how you would have kept anyone from responding without well-disciplined instruction. Wonder who did that?

Then, I have just as much concern with the lineman that kept Baker pinned to the ground, for which an OU lineman got an unsportsmanlike penalty for trying to rescue Baker as I did with the late hit. Too much coordination. I want to hear, from Kansas, how this all occurred if not orchestrated by the coach?

I don't know what the world is coming to when our quarterback acts as badly as someone in public office.

I really didn't like what Baker did, and I would probably assess a rather harsh, but different type of punishment. I would like for him to research the behavior of public officials and write three thousand words on what it reveals.

I was unhappy about the flag incident, and I wrote (email) to Mossman and suggested that OU fly Baker to Ohio State to apologize in person to the team and the fans. But, it was time to address the issue then, in which case there probably would not have been a case in Kansas. I can live with the non-starting, but it is not how I would have handled it. I want OU to teach Baker.

But, my real irritation is with the Kansas coach. I have a very difficult time believing that three captains and two little children went out to the circle, and not one of them responded when Baker extended his hand. That means there was an orchestration that involved two small children. Tell me how you would have kept anyone from responding without well-disciplined instruction. Wonder who did that?

Then, I have just as much concern with the lineman that kept Baker pinned to the ground, for which an OU lineman got an unsportsmanlike penalty for trying to rescue Baker as I did with the late hit. Too much coordination. I want to hear, from Kansas, how this all occurred if not orchestrated by the coach?

Bingo. And that guy is getting a pass.

Reactions: Senior Sooner

I was thinking the same thing. To many free passes for the other team.

IDE have whipped it out and told the crowd to "suck it." It's best I never be in a hostile environment.

I doubt if people dislike Mayfield because he is "doing something right" or because of "jealousy".
I believe it has more to do with his being the face of the this team and his leadership role.....and the lack of maturity he shows too often.
It's a mystery to me that Riley hasn't taken Mayfield aside and told him to cut the crap. Nothing wrong with being the team's emotional leader, but it should not come at the expense of disrespecting opponents and the reputation of OU. The score at game's end should have been Mayfield's only response to the hand shake snub at the start of the game.
Fortunately for Mayfield, if jerks like Jameis Winston and Johnny Manziel can win the Heisman, so can he. Winning the award is apparently no longer about character.
It's sad how people rally around those who represent their values, their politics and even their sports teams affiliations, despite bad, impulsive and reckless deeds.

To your point, CT, RE: Coach taking Baker aside...What puzzles me, in a Big Way, is that most likely HAS HAPPENED, yet, questionable behavior continues...Cause for Concern?

To your point, CT, RE: Coach taking Baker aside...What puzzles me, in a Big Way, is that most likely HAS HAPPENED, yet, questionable behavior continues...Cause for Concern?
I don't know, but given that Mayfield is 3-4 games away from leaving the program, this episode from last Saturday is especially troubling in several ways. It could be a distraction, it taints a great career at OU and it is a slap in the face for Coach Riley, whose work thus far has been great. Again, Coach Riley has no choice but to suspend Mayfield and to defend the Oklahoma brand.
Mayfield says "this is not who I am". Riley has to say "this is not who WE are".

Reactions: Senior Sooner
This is the Kansas Coach's response...It Clarifies NOTHING for me...If you are able to translate it, and 'Get His Point', then please explain it to me. After reading it, I do understand his player's behavior/mentality more...

http://newsok.com/article/5572792

If Kansas doesn't see it as a big deal, maybe that's saying something. Other than that, the standard coaches' "I know how the players feel" kind of comment means exactly nothing.

I don't know, you either like Baker or you don't. I seriously doubt anything he has done or does from here on out will change anyones opinion of him. I don't think anyone at espin likes him outside of Herbie and thats fine. An old friend once told me something I have never forgotten. "When people hate you, you are doing something right and something they cannot do so they hate you because they are jealous." Espin has been pushing for anyone to win the heisman that is not named Baker Mayfield. I for one would love nothing more for Baker to win it just to shut them all up but of course with that comes the pressure to win it all, I think Baker is up to the challenge. To heck with what they think we are OU we don't need their approval.

I read a lot of ESPN stories and occasionally watch their college football shows. They've given up the fight for "anyone but Baker" and are now acknowledging that Mayfield is the best player in the country, bar none.

Vegas stopped the betting on the Heisman because all the money was being bet on Baker to win. State law intervened.

The "integrity" part was over with Paul Hornung. There's been plenty of Heisman winner who had much bigger issues than Mayfield. This thing has been blown way, way, way out of proportion. He didn't take a swing at anyone. He doesn't have a kid or two out of wedlock with a baby mama. He doesn't have a felony arrest record like this guy:

The Nebraska Board of Pardons granted Rodgers' request for a full pardon for his 1970 felony theft from a Lincoln gas station when he was an 18-year-old college freshman. The board's three members — Gov. Dave Heineman, Secretary of State John Gale and Attorney General Jon Bruning — all voted in favor of the pardon after a roughly 10-minute hearing.

He hasn't been accused of rape, like Jameis Winston or kicked out of school for stealing a laptop like Cam Newton.

There's just a few examples of Heisman winners that had major eff-ups before winning the trophy. And we all know of many examples of those who committed egregious acts after winning it. Character my ass. The Heisman is about the best football player in the country. And he's on our team.

Now close your eyes and imagine me my grabbing my crotch and saying FU to anyone who disagrees.

This selective outrage BS is ridiculous.
BRAVO, VERITAS!!!!!!!!!!! Your post puts the entire Mayfield story in perspective. Ie. a great croc of mickey mouse bullshiitt

Baker should not have reacted as he did but Saban, Meyer and other top college coaches probably would not have punished an all American qb as severely.

So the Heisman statement involving “integrity” is null and void because children (18-22) are too young to hsve it.
Poor babies.

The fact is, the Heisman hasn't been much about integrity for longer than the 67 years I've been on this planet. That's to their detriment, but in a world that largely doesn't seem to care, how could Baker NOT win? Grabbing your crotch and firing up the crowd pales with the grabbing that's currently in the news involving lots of major figures in Congress, the media, and Hollywood and elsewhere. ALL involving people of supposed great integrity, so I'm not going to give anything approaching a hard rebuke to Mayfield for in relatively very minor societal "misdeeds".

Baker's comrades in the classroom and on the street are all young and occasionally foolish. I see it all the time as a long-time resident of a college town (Boulder). Wanton trashing and minor violence against people and property, barf pools all over the place on weekends on the Hill near campus, that's just part of that story.

As a lifelong Sooner fan who absolutely L.O.V.E.S. college football, I'm proud of Baker for standing up and accepting the error of his ways. There is so much more to him than just his unparalleled excellence as a quarterback, and I get great pleasure in watching him blossom as both a player and as just a good human being.

And yes, I do love to watch Sooner football. But all I'm thinking about is the flush of pride I feel for Baker when he's out there doing what only he can do, which he shows us just about every single week.

The Kansas game was Baker's last true road game at OU, and he finished his career in Norman unbeaten in those games. What an amazing achievement!

I can't wait for what's straight ahead for Baker and his team...

Boomer Sooner!

The fact is, the Heisman hasn't been much about integrity for longer than the 67 years I've been on this planet. That's to their detriment, but in a world that largely doesn't seem to care, how could Baker NOT win? Grabbing your crotch and firing up the crowd pales with the grabbing that's currently in the news involving lots of major figures in Congress, the media, and Hollywood and elsewhere. ALL involving people of supposed great integrity, so I'm not going to give anything approaching a hard rebuke to Mayfield for in relatively very minor societal "misdeeds".

Baker's comrades in the classroom and on the street are all young and occasionally foolish. I see it all the time as a long-time resident of a college town (Boulder). Wanton trashing and minor violence against people and property, barf pools all over the place on weekends on the Hill near campus, that's just part of that story.

As a lifelong Sooner fan who absolutely L.O.V.E.S. college football, I'm proud of Baker for standing up and accepting the error of his ways. There is so much more to him than just his unparalleled excellence as a quarterback, and I get great pleasure in watching him blossom as both a player and as just a good human being.

And yes, I do love to watch Sooner football. But all I'm thinking about is the flush of pride I feel for Baker when he's out there doing what only he can do, which he shows us just about every single week.

The Kansas game was Baker's last true road game at OU, and he finished his career in Norman unbeaten in those games. What an amazing achievement!

I can't wait for what's straight ahead for Baker and his team...

Boomer Sooner!
Perhaps Coach Riley should hear you out.

Perhaps Coach Riley should hear you out.
There have been MANY Times that I wish Coach would lurk, or troll, or whatever it takes to hear, or read our thoughts on several subjects. We have DECADES of Collected Wisdom ? and Experience and have learned more than a little about People, Places, and Things in his new Kingdom. Like most groups, there is the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...Take what you like, and leave the rest...There are some lessons to be learned, here, probably from mistakes we have all made...That's something I always told my sons...You don't have to do that...Your Dad or I already did it for you...It didn't work then; it won't work, now...

There have been MANY Times that I wish Coach would lurk, or troll, or whatever it takes to hear, or read our thoughts on several subjects. We have DECADES of Collected Wisdom ? and Experience and have learned more than a little about People, Places, and Things in his new Kingdom. Like most groups, there is the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...Take what you like, and leave the rest...There are some lessons to be learned, here, probably from mistakes we have all made...That's something I always told my sons...You don't have to do that...Your Dad or I already did it for you...It didn't work then; it won't work, now...
I would not want any OU coach to lurk here. I don't believe there's anything said here that would enlighten them or that they aren't already aware of.
As for Riley, while I have no idea exactly how he feels about Mayfield's actions deep down inside....whether he sees it as serious issue or much to do about very little....I think he's dealing with it the only way he should.

I'm familiar with the Bads and the Uglies, but other than you, who is the Good?

I would not want any OU coach to lurk here. I don't believe there's anything said here that would enlighten them or that they aren't already aware of.
As for Riley, while I have no idea exactly how he feels about Mayfield's actions deep down inside....whether he sees it as serious issue or much to do about very little....I think he's dealing with it the only way he should.

My post was pretty much 'tongue-in-cheek', CT, as are most of mine. I was actually remembering when many of the board were 'Critiquing' our D, and some of you came up with some good schemes, which IMO, trumped Mikey's...I'd also like for him to be aware of some viewpoints, here, that are Good Examples of Original Thoughts/Minds, and Thinking People who aren't influenced by Media Mania...

ADVERTISEMENT