ADVERTISEMENT

Baker's Presser...

Riley sure didn't look too happy about having to talk about it. Oh well, eff rock chalk jaybird, enjoy the rest of your crappy season.

Reactions: veritas59
Count me one as disappointed when people go down the road of apologizing after the fact. I have more respect for a person if they just own up and defend it. Not saying I agree with what Baker did on the field. But he did it. Own it and defend it.
Have you ever had an emotional disagreement with your wife when you were confident your position was correct from the start and a heated exchange occurred? You may've said something hateful that you know you shouldn't have said and, in your disappointment with yourself, apologized to make peace. Afterwards, all was well with your relationship and you both prospered.

Instead, you could've stood your ground and argued your point endlessly to the continued detriment of your relationship. In the end, you might believe that you were victorious in your battle only to needlessly put the outcome of the relationship in serious jeopardy.

Prudent move, imho, by Baker if sincere. His apology was appropriate, well thought out, and seemed very sincere.

Last edited:
Have you ever had an emotional disagreement with your wife when you were confident your position was correct from the start and a heated exchange occurred? You may've said something hateful that you know you shouldn't have said and, in your disappointment with yourself, apologized to make peace. Afterwards, all was well with your relationship and you both prospered.

Instead, you could've stood your ground and argued your point endlessly to the continued detriment of your relationship. In the end, you might believe that you were victorious in your battle only to needlessly put the outcome of the relationship in serious jeopardy.

Prudent move, imho, by Baker if sincere. His apology was appropriate, well thought out, and seemed very sincere.
Baker has no long-term relationship with the Kansas players. He has no reason to make sure his relationship with Kansas players prospers.

Baker has no long-term relationship with the Kansas players. He has no reason to make sure his relationship with Kansas players prospers.
As he stated in his presser, his relationship to his fans, university, teammates, parents, adversaries, and the viewers was his concern. I reflectively look at things from a spiritual perspective. Don't know if spirituality was his intent. I felt he accomplished what he needed to do to right an unfortunate situation and I applaud him for doing what I perceive to be the right thing.

He humbled himself justifiably. Good man.

As he stated in his presser, his relationship to his fans, university, teammates, parents, adversaries, and the viewers was his concern. I reflectively look at things from a spiritual perspective. Don't know if spirituality was his intent. I felt he accomplished what he needed to do to right an unfortunate situation and I applaud him for doing what I perceive to be the right thing.

He humbled himself justifiably. Good man.
His actions didn't affect me whatsoever since it wasn't directed towards me. It was directed towards Kansas players who decided to take things down that road during the coin toss at midfield before the game even began. Now if the Kansas players offer an apology as well, then Baker should meet them halfway and do the same. But I doubt the Kansas players were sorry at all with what they did. Unless I missed the Kansas post-game presser and they apologized before Baker did his presser.

Two wrongs never make a right as Baker essentially pointed out in his presser. By "chippy" he was referring to the ill-advised antics from both sides

This apology by Baker to make amends was definitely a step in the right direction to show his good intent. I believe KU will make their apologies as well. Time will tell.

It's about time OU is showing some balls. We used to be too mellow. It's a contact sport and words will fly around. Too much is being read into this ordeal. The media loves to get involved in anything that gets a reaction.:D Kansas go make some money in basketball so you can contribute something to the big 12.

Count me one as disappointed when people go down the road of apologizing after the fact. I have more respect for a person if they just own up and defend it. Not saying I agree with what Baker did on the field. But he did it. Own it and defend it.

Lets move on and stop making a mountain out of a mole hill. I like the fire and I'm guessing his teammates do as well

He did own it. But not much to defend. He didn't plan it. It was done on emotions. He was right when he did it. He was only wrong when he realized what he did. And when he did, he apologized which was also the right thing to do. It was what it was.

Baker is an emotional guy. Could have done without the gesture...but seen much worse.

Game's over. Calm heads. Sincere apology directed towards those who may have took offense (likely there were kids in the stadium/watching on TV).

Baker apologizes because he and Oklahoma are the bigger person and program. KU can be petty because they mean jack shit in the world of college football so nobody cares. The world of college football is all looking at Baker Mayfield. Doing the right thing matters, or at least admitting when you did the wrong thing.

Next up West Virginia.

Remember.........
c26a0e647f208d374ba3acddc9cc1aef.jpg

I can understand emotions run high in games and for KU this was their Bowl Game so I can understand them being pumped for this game. But what I cannot get past is the disrespect to Baker, their Captains not shaking his hand before the game, it seemed to be fuel for the fire that was to come.

ESPN likes this kind of stuff. Mayfield has given them plenty to talk about, especially on Heisman night. Now it is time for all the Mike Lupicas crawl out of the woodwork.
I wish Mayfield had thought of this before yesterday’s game. He was aware of the coverage he was getting as the odds on Heisman favorite. Regardless of how anyone on this message board feels, Mayfield really screwed up.
Defend him all you want, but realize that Riley, the team, OU and the OU fan base don’t need or deserve the fallout that is looming.

Last edited:
ESPN likes this kind of stuff. Mayfield has given them plenty to talk about, especially on Heisman night. Now it is time for alll the Mike Lupicas crawl out of the woodwork.
I wish Mayfield had thought of this before yrsterday’s game. He was aware of the coverage he was getting as the odds on Heisman favorite. Regardless of how anyone on this message board feels, Mayfield really screwed up.
Defend him all you want, but realize that Riley, the team, OU and the OU fan base don’t need or deserve the fallout that is looming.

I don't know, you either like Baker or you don't. I seriously doubt anything he has done or does from here on out will change anyones opinion of him. I don't think anyone at espin likes him outside of Herbie and thats fine. An old friend once told me something I have never forgotten. "When people hate you, you are doing something right and something they cannot do so they hate you because they are jealous." Espin has been pushing for anyone to win the heisman that is not named Baker Mayfield. I for one would love nothing more for Baker to win it just to shut them all up but of course with that comes the pressure to win it all, I think Baker is up to the challenge. To heck with what they think we are OU we don't need their approval.

I doubt if people dislike Mayfield because he is "doing something right" or because of "jealousy".
I believe it has more to do with his being the face of the this team and his leadership role.....and the lack of maturity he shows too often.
It's a mystery to me that Riley hasn't taken Mayfield aside and told him to cut the crap. Nothing wrong with being the team's emotional leader, but it should not come at the expense of disrespecting opponents and the reputation of OU. The score at game's end should have been Mayfield's only response to the hand shake snub at the start of the game.
Fortunately for Mayfield, if jerks like Jameis Winston and Johnny Manziel can win the Heisman, so can he. Winning the award is apparently no longer about character.
It's sad how people rally around those who represent their values, their politics and even their sports teams affiliations, despite bad, impulsive and reckless deeds.

This is the Kansas Coach's response...It Clarifies NOTHING for me...If you are able to translate it, and 'Get His Point', then please explain it to me. After reading it, I do understand his player's behavior/mentality more...

http://newsok.com/article/5572792

He's going to talk to Defense about the hit. He didn't see it, but he will look at it. I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt. If he looks at the film and sees that the hit was incredibly late and was an intentional effort to take Baker out of the game, then suspends Defense the rest of the season (1 game), then I'll believe his is sincere. If he doesn't, then I will continue to believe he Art Briles 2.0.

I doubt if people dislike Mayfield because he is "doing something right" or because of "jealousy".
I believe it has more to do with his being the face of the this team and his leadership role.....and the lack of maturity he shows too often.
It's a mystery to me that Riley hasn't taken Mayfield aside and told him to cut the crap. Nothing wrong with being the team's emotional leader, but it should not come at the expense of disrespecting opponents and the reputation of OU. The score at game's end should have been Mayfield's only response to the hand shake snub at the start of the game.
Fortunately for Mayfield, if jerks like Jameis Winston and Johnny Manziel can win the Heisman, so can he. Winning the award is apparently no longer about character.
It's sad how people rally around those who represent their values, their politics and even their sports teams affiliations, despite bad, impulsive and reckless deeds.

Remember Tim Tebow? A lot of people hated that guy. People either like you or they don't. They don't like how you look or how you talk. Don't like you because of where you are from. Don't like you because you are cocky and yes people will not like you if you are really good at something. Mayfield is cocky and that turns a lot of people off but thats just who he is. I agree he should tone it down at times and I don't like everything he does but who am I to say he should act a certain way. I have a feeling we don't know exactly everything that was said and done during that game yesterday. He should not have done it, he apologized and thats all he can do. I am not going to write him off as a bad person because he made a silly mistake in a football game. I believe Baker plays with a lot of emotion and sometimes its hard to switch it off or tone it down when tempers start flaring. Oh well what do I know?

An example of people not liking you because you do something right.
I buy and sell a lot of antiques and collectibles. I stay away from repros and fakes most times but if I ever do sell them I advertise them as such. A lot of other people I know will knowingly sell you a cheap knockoff and advertise it as real and will have it priced as if it were the real thing. I have complained about it to other dealers that do this and guess what, they hate me and won't deal with me. Why? Because I do things the right way. If you are not like them they don't like you. I am labeled a troublemaker because I call them out on it. I hate seeing people get taken. So yes people will hate you if you do good things.

I did not label him a "bad" person, just an immature one, which as the face of the OU football program he should not be.
He's had issues on and off the field since his Texas Tech days.

I did not label him a "bad" person, just an immature one, which as the face of the OU football program he should not be.

Sorry CT, did not say you labeled him as such, just saying I am not.

I just wish that arguably the greatest quarterback in OU history had more of a Sam Bradford-Steve Owens maturity level.

Someone said the other day on here that they wondered if he was picked on or bullied as a kid. I say thats probably so, he did grow up an OU fan in Texas did he not? Probably some whorn fan that was 5 yrs older than him and failed 6th grade 3 times gave him nothing but grief.

So what. He's also had the best damn career oever as a walk on QB in CFB at two different programs. He's brought a swagger to OU that we haven't seen since the Switzer days. And if the Heisman voters vote against him, then the Heisman isn't what it used to be or ought to be either. Besides... Kansas deserved it.

I know a lot of people consider these players grown men and they should act accordingly but the reality is they are kids and some of them in very very big bodies and its hard to see them as kids becuase some of these guys are huge. But thats what they are, kids. People make mistakes, happens everyday and nobody is perfect, kids usually make more mistakes than most but thats part of growing up and learning. Some take longer to grow up than others do, Baker is learning from all this and I bet Riley is making sure he is. I don't expect to see anymore of that from Baker moving forward although I am sure there will be some players that will try and get a rise out of him just like the thug kansas players did.

So the Heisman statement involving “integrity” is null and void because children (18-22) are too young to hsve it.
Poor babies.

The Heisman Trophy statement says the award is for those players who have achieved greatness with perseverance and integrity.

It appears that you are saying that Mayfield doesn't possess these characteristics. If so, you'd be as wrong as the Kansas Captains.

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT