ADVERTISEMENT

The top greatest wide receivers in OU history...........

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
I saw this question asked on a competitive site. Here was the answers.

#5 Sterling Shepard
#4 Eddie Hinton
#3 Tinker Owens
#2 Eric Clayton
#1 Ryan Broyles.

I pretty much agree with this list. My question to you is name the next 5. It's hard and no tight ends...

Billy Brooks AA
Andre Woolfook?

As you can see I need help...............

Last edited:
Reactions: Section22Sooner
Some that come to mind. (I'm not ranking them).

Malcom Kelly
Derrick Shepard
Juaquin Iglesias
Mark Clayton (He'd be in my top 5. Your Eric Clayton perhaps?)
Jalen Saunders

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Ryan Broyles
Mark Clayton
Jalen Saunders
Sterling Shepard
Kenny Stills

Due to age I won't comment on older Sooners. Find it hard to believe in that system they could be anywhere near top5.

My Pops always swore Tinker was the man, but his stats just don't line up with a top 5. Just a system gap I guess. My favorite Sooner WR was actually a TE named Mr. Jackson.

I saw this question asked on a competitive site. Here was the answers.

#5 Sterling Shepard
#4 Eddie Hinton
#3 Tinker Owens
#2 Eric Clayton
#1 Ryan Broyles.

I pretty much agree with this list. My question to you is name the next 5. It's hard and no tight ends...

Billy Brooks AA
Andre Woolfook?

As you can see I need help...............
I wouldn't put Sterling Shepard in my top 5. Honestly I don't even know about top 10.

No particular order:
Ryan Broyles
Mark Clayton
Tinker Owens
Jalen Saunders
Tommy McDonald

My Pops always swore Tinker was the man, but his stats just don't line up with a top 5. Just a system gap I guess. My favorite Sooner WR was actually a TE named Mr. Jackson.

Uh, I told you no tight ends.....LOL.

I think it was the great Nebraska coach Bob Devaney that was asked about Tinker and OU's offense. He pretty much said he new what was coming from the OU wishbone running game, but he was scared to death of Tinker. Not only a great blocker, but they never knew when he would slide off the block for a huge reception. I never and I mean never saw Tinker drop a pass. He was an AP all-American for a reason......

I wouldn't put Sterling Shepard in my top 5. Honestly I don't even know about top 10.

No particular order:
Ryan Broyles
Mark Clayton
Tinker Owens
Jalen Saunders
Tommy McDonald

Well that doesn't surprise me on your Sterling post. If Shepard just get's his average career receiving yards next year he will come in as the third time all receiver in OU history on receiving yards. He could very well become number one if he stay's healthy and our offense is what we all hope...

Ryan Broyles...and it's not even close.
IMO

How could anybody in OU history, be better than the guy who set the all time NATIONAL record for receptions?

Of course it's not even close. I'll tell you a couple of underrated guys: Steve Rhodes and P.J. Mills. Loved both of those guys.

I'm good with Mark Clayton at two. Anybody else would be a mishmash. Eddie Hinton was a first round draft pick when that was a lot harder to be. There were only 26 teams drafting. He'd have to be top five. He and Owens and Billy Brooks were often the only wides on most plays when they lined up, though Hinton played in the slot a lot.

Brooks was the 11th player picked in the 1976 draft. Kind of an irony. When I looked up the details of that in a search, he was listed as the seventh worst draft bust in Bengal history. Owens was a fourth rounder and played four years. Tinker caught 60 balls in the NFL. Billy 96.

Another guy who dealt with those horrible days of latent to blatant racism was Ben Hart. I believe Ben still holds the record for the longest td reception in Sooner history, from Ron Fletcher in the 1965 Gator Bowl, during a blowout loss to Florida State. That was the game where Ralph Neely, Lance Rentzel, Jim Grisham and Wes Skidgel had to stay home after signing NFL contracts after the 1964 regular season.

The only quarterback we had back then who could throw it at all, was Fletcher, the third or fourth team walkon, who they spotted in occasionally, when a sure pass was needed.

If Jack Mildren hadn't overthrown Jon Harrison with 90 seconds left in the GOTC, I'd have Jon on the list. That would have given him three for the day.

How could anybody in OU history, be better than the guy who set the all time NATIONAL record for receptions?

Of course it's not even close. I'll tell you a couple of underrated guys: Steve Rhodes and P.J. Mills. Loved both of those guys.

I'm good with Mark Clayton at two. Anybody else would be a mishmash. Eddie Hinton was a first round draft pick when that was a lot harder to be. There were only 26 teams drafting. He'd have to be top five. He and Owens and Billy Brooks were often the only wides on most plays when they lined up, though Hinton played in the slot a lot.

Brooks was the 11th player picked in the 1976 draft. Kind of an irony. When I looked up the details of that in a search, he was listed as the seventh worst draft bust in Bengal history. Owens was a fourth rounder and played four years. Tinker caught 60 balls in the NFL. Billy 96.

Another guy who dealt with those horrible days of latent to blatant racism was Ben Hart. I believe Ben still holds the record for the longest td reception in Sooner history, from Ron Fletcher in the 1965 Gator Bowl, during a blowout loss to Florida State. That was the game where Ralph Neely, Lance Rentzel, Jim Grisham and Wes Skidgel had to stay home after signing NFL contracts after the 1964 regular season.

The only quarterback we had back then who could throw it at all, was Fletcher, the third or fourth team walkon, who they spotted in occasionally, when a sure pass was needed.

If Jack Mildren hadn't overthrown Jon Harrison with 90 seconds left in the GOTC, I'd have Jon on the list. That would have given him three for the day.

I knew would come through with some good comments. I nearly forgot Jon Harrison.

Your otherwise good post is ruined by your typical richard craniumness.
I thought this was an opinion is it not? Can't handle a different opinion 22? As I said, at this point I wouldn't put Sterling in the top receivers. That could change depending on how this year goes. Oh and k2, you really can't compare stats from todays teams to those of the past. I would consider Holieway a better QB than Landry although Jones obviously has better stats

I thought this was an opinion is it not? Can't handle a different opinion 22? As I said, at this point I wouldn't put Sterling in the top receivers. That could change depending on how this year goes. Oh and k2, you really can't compare stats from todays teams to those of the past. I would consider Holieway a better QB than Landry although Jones obviously has better stats

Huh, I thought he was replying to Drew, you nit wit.......JJ

Well after I read it, it was for you. but you can keep the gif.............

Here's a gif for you............

birds_that_are_huge_jerks_23.gif

Last edited:

Sure, you're entitled to your opinion and others are entitled to post their opinions of your opinion. It's a message board, not rocket surgery.

Regarding your opinion, I believe Shepard is #6 all time in yards and top 10 in receptions. Not too shabby considering who he's had throwing the ball to him the past 2 seasons. If he had a Bradford, White, or even Jones at the QB position, his stats would most likely be better at this point. Regardless, he'll reach top 5 in both categories, and likely touchdowns as well, by the end of this season.

So that said, since he's the only one mentioned still actively playing, his top 5 mentions are more than appropriate.

Clayton was an absolute beast and he would be my #1. After that I like broyles and although Saunders was only here a short time the dude was money.. ..tinker and sterling would round out top 5

Sure, you're entitled to your opinion and others are entitled to post their opinions of your opinion. It's a message board, not rocket surgery.

Regarding your opinion, I believe Shepard is #6 all time in yards and top 10 in receptions. Not too shabby considering who he's had throwing the ball to him the past 2 seasons. If he had a Bradford, White, or even Jones at the QB position, his stats would most likely be better at this point. Regardless, he'll reach top 5 in both categories, and likely touchdowns as well, by the end of this season.

So that said, since he's the only one mentioned still actively playing, his top 5 mentions are more than appropriate.

Brilliant,you deserve a toilet gif............

Tuesday5.jpg

Silly me. I thought we could express opinions without being personally attacked. At least that was a rule at one time or another.

As for Shepard, you could be right. I'm just not ready at this point to call him an all time top 5 receiver. I'm not sure he is even a top 5 in the Stoops era where we have had Clayton, Broyles, Kelly, Saunders, Stills, Iglesius and probably a few others. He is certainly in the mix but I don't feel he is a clear cut choice ahead of all those guys at this point.

Medic, as far as I know isn't a modulator anymore.
So, with that as a premise why would he possibly want to make it easy for us, the great unwashed to contact him for any trivial reason?

Here's a novel idea, put your email addy as your sig line and he'll contact you, at his leisure.
OK? Good.
Well actually it was Medic who asked me to email him a week or so ago. Medic is no longer a mod???? First I've heard about it

Silly me. I thought we could express opinions without being personally attacked. At least that was a rule at one time or another.

As for Shepard, you could be right. I'm just not ready at this point to call him an all time top 5 receiver. I'm not sure he is even a top 5 in the Stoops era where we have had Clayton, Broyles, Kelly, Saunders, Stills, Iglesius and probably a few others. He is certainly in the mix but I don't feel he is a clear cut choice ahead of all those guys at this point.

You weren't personally attacked. Your opinion was questioned. It's a big difference.

I am right about Shepard, not because I have to or want to be, but because reality is reality. Put one of the previously available QBs on the team with Shepard and you'd feel foolish questioning him as part of your top 5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT