ADVERTISEMENT

I hope Dillon Gabriel...

22LR

Sooner signee
Dec 1, 2015
...takes Oregon to the Big10 title game...
...wins the Big10 Championship....
...wins the Heisman...
...takes the Ducks to the CFP....
...and I'll stop there.

I wish the guy the very best success, except if he plays OU next year. He's a class act. I am sad to see him go, but I am happy for him.

...takes Oregon to the Big10 title game...
...wins the Big10 Championship....
...wins the Heisman...
...takes the Ducks to the CFP....
...and I'll stop there.

I wish the guy the very best success, except if he plays OU next year. He's a class act. I am sad to see him go, but I am happy for him.

Ditto.
He got a lot of hate from OU fans that I could never understand.
I hope he does really well at Oregon.

I never saw the hate.
Its out there, CF Fans can be quite brutal. A lot of it was wanting him benched and JA to go ahead and take over, a lot of it was before the Season even started. Some fans wanted him SEC ready with a Season under his belt.
I am torn because I want DG to do well but I absolutely hate Oregon. Not much of a Lanning fan either.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Its out there, CF Fans can be quite brutal. A lot of it was wanting him benched and JA to go ahead and take over, a lot of it was before the Season even started. Some fans wanted him SEC ready with a Season under his belt.
I am torn because I want DG to do well but I absolutely hate Oregon. Not much of a Lanning fan either.
Dillon's a baller no doubt about it. I just don't know who was confused that Jackson was the heir apparent. Smh.

I don’t think anyone hated DG he just didn’t play to the level of the guys that came before him. He was a good but not great Qb

Last edited:
Is he elite? No. Will he be a high draft pick? Probably not. Was he a heisman finalist? No. I’ll even change it from pretty good to good but that’s it. I’m glad we had him and he was DEFINITELY our best option the past couple of years but I’m not gonna build him up to be something he isn’t just because he is/was one of ours. I will say he’s probably gonna tear it up at Oregon with a lot of weapons around him.

• Haha
Reactions: 22LR
Here is a video of @Larry4681 's pretty good, but not great QB who is way, way down at #6 on the NCAA 2023 FBS passing leaders list, and #8 on the all-time list and isn't done yet.

All this x2, plus I’ll throw out another stat that Hoover tweeted out after the WVU game; there are 2 QB’s in FBS history who have thrown for 14,000 yards & rushed for 1,000. Baker Mayfield in 2017, & now Dillon Gabriel.

Hey Salt City. I was just wondering why you quit this board. Here's a link discussing it. I always liked your posts.

• Haha
Reactions: Larry4681
Larry, what's your problem? You trolled me on the longhorn board and now on here. Are you one of the Amigos from the old days?

I just think it’s frowned upon to post a link from another message board but hey you do you.

personal attacks? You were the one who went crazy on another poster and I just stepped in and called you out on it.

I would put DG up there with Baker, Murray, Hurts and Jones. All were good QB's with different skill sets and those had better players around them. None won a Natty and just because you don't win a Heisman doesn't mean you are not a great player. Lots of great players never won the Heisman.

I personally don’t think DG is on the level of Williams or a couple of the other guys from that list but he is right there in that next group. That’s not an insult but people seem too quick to throw the great label around when it doesn’t apply. That’s my opinion only.

Some people are speculating Nix may return to Oregon next yr, makes no sense for DG to go there if thats the case. I doubt he returns, he is projected as a late first or 2nd round pick.

I think for those arguing for or against DG as a great QB the one thing to consider is he would have stayed if the coaches thought he was the best option.

Reactions: Larry4681
Saw this the other day. Parting shot who knows?
Last sentence in his tweet.
If you are not on X you don't know how toxic those fans are on there. I saw it all season long.

"I have been able to play football for an amazing group of coaches and alongside men who have become my brothers," Gabriel wrote. "More than anything, I have grown in faith and love. I appreciate and cherish these memories and relationships forever. My time in The Palace was a game-time experience I will never forget. Sooner Nation, you held me accountable and I am better for it."

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
Yeah, you have to wonder why a quarterback that has had his success would transfer. Maybe he feels he will do better at Oregon. Only Gabriel knows.
I think it's pretty simple. The staff thought this was his last year. Promises were made that the kid from Denton would be OUr 2024 qb, and DG wants to start. If he returned, he'd be the backup.

I think it's pretty simple. The staff thought this was his last year. Promises were made that the kid from Denton would be OUr 2024 qb, and DG wants to start. If he returned, he'd be the backup.
Well, if that’s the case Brent wasn’t truthful. Brent’s statement was that Dillion’s decision had nothing to do with Jackson. You can check it out on OU Daily.

Is this fact or opinion? I haven't seen anything mentioned about any such promises.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT