ADVERTISEMENT

gabriel

OUnabomber

Sooner signee
Jul 16, 2017
Montana
I know he has another year of eligibility, but do we really want him to come back? I know it would be good to have him at QB when entering the SEC, but would it cause Arnold to consider a transfer? I personally think Gabriel should leave and capitalize on this years success and give Arnold his shot.

I know he has another year of eligibility, but do we really want him to come back? I know it would be good to have him at QB when entering the SEC, but would it cause Arnold to consider a transfer? I personally think Gabriel should leave and capitalize on this years success and give Arnold his shot.

I want Arnold to have the opportunity to use his talents without having to share a season with Gabriel. It could work but I prefer one starter, not dual quarterbacks splitting the snaps. I just think it would be more difficult for Arnold to get into a rhythm that works to his strengths. Gabriel said that this would be his last season and Arnold seems to have been very patient. 2024 should be his time. Dillion should leave for the NFL or transfer to USC. Sounds like Riley is going to need a new QB next season. Just kidding.

I think if Gabriel comes back, he does it with the understanding that he will be the backup, and only play if Arnold gets hurt.

That sounds good…..but why the heck would he do that when he can transfer and be a starter? Not to mention forfeiting a possible NFL opportunity. I don’t see it. Hope you’re right because it would be good for OU.

Guys, all signs point to DG entering the draft. Based on comments both DG and BV made before the season, everyone involved in the program expects him to be gone after this year. His arm isn't going to all of the sudden improve to boost him into the first round if he stays another year. He has had about as good of a season as he could have hoped for. This is his time. Another year only risks injury or having a down year stat wise.

All this to say its pointless to argue about the merits of him returning. Its JFA time starting this spring and very possibly as soon as the bowl game

Personally I believe DG has earned the right to return if he wishes. But who knows whats going on behind the scenes. I don't know much about the NFL draft rules but can he enter without an agent and see if he is taken and if not return if he wants?

Reactions: iasooner2000
Personally I believe DG has earned the right to return if he wishes. But who knows whats going on behind the scenes. I don't know much about the NFL draft rules but can he enter without an agent and see if he is taken and if not return if he wants?
No he cant. Once you declare for the draft your NCAA eligibility is gone. The players get projected draft grades from scouts and insiders and make the decision on whether to enter or not. I'm guessing he'll get a 3rd round grade based on everything he's done as a college player and that is pretty much his ceiling as an NFL prospect. He's gone guys. Lets appreciate him for what he did in these 2 years in transitioning the program from LR to BV. He played really well and gave us one of the all time Red river performances that OU has ever seen

Nothing wrong with being a later round draft choice, considering all the success stories of those who waited for their time, vs those who have been thrown into the fray right away. DG will take the paycheck and wait his turn, it‘s really a matter of having a surrounding cast; I mean Brock Purdy wasn’t all that impressive at ISU (he’s a grinder though and looks far better to me than he did in college).

If DG comes back to be the starter, JA will hit the portal and play a year before he enters the NFL draft. Gabriel needs to find a new home. I don't want him to be OUr starting QB next season. Somebody's leaving.

If DG comes back to be the starter, JA will hit the portal and play a year before he enters the NFL draft. Gabriel needs to find a new home. I don't want him to be OUr starting QB next season. Somebody's leaving.

Arnold will not be sitting, Gabriel doesn't have half the talent Arnold has.

I can't see his NFL grade any higher then Late 4th round, early 5th
I tend to agree. His accuracy issues and lack of arm strength are going to be an issue with some teams. Not saying that he couldn't do better than ~50% of the starting NFL QB's though. I mean Giants, Steelers, Panthers, and now ugly-ass browns teams would possibly upgrade with DG. Hard to say but my guess is he is a perennial backup in the NFL. Which is truly a good thing if you consider lack of injuries and a very nice salary.

Reactions: 8085sooner
I tend to agree. His accuracy issues and lack of arm strength are going to be an issue with some teams. Not saying that he couldn't do better than ~50% of the starting NFL QB's though. I mean Giants, Steelers, Panthers, and now ugly-ass browns teams would possibly upgrade with DG. Hard to say but my guess is he is a perennial backup in the NFL. Which is truly a good thing if you consider lack of injuries and a very nice salary.
Dillons got quick feet. I mean quick. I love the kid.

That is not really a recipe for success in the NFL in terms of longevity. And if no one respects your deep ball or accuracy even at the intermediate throws....NFL defenses will take that all day. My .02.
Mahomes is killing it , what's kylers problem? The two are so similar.

We ain't far off right now my man. Let's see how we finish this season.
Yeah I know my pessimism is showing. I saw an interview with an NFL scout a few weeks ago. He said that coming out of college the OLineman are nowhere near where they used to be. I guess less reps and spreads etc. but he did not elaborate on the exact issue. I've also heard Sam Mays mention similar issues and he specified it was due to lack of practices in today's college game. So, I'm not being that critical of Bedenbaugh. Still, it is obvious in most seasons our OLine takes a bit to jell.

Mahomes is killing it , what's kylers problem?
Injuries. Mahomes has one of the better OLines in the NFL. So does Jalen. If you are going to have a dual threat QB in the NFL you better have a great OLine or the QB will not make it through a season without missing games.

Yeah I know my pessimism is showing. I saw an interview with an NFL scout a few weeks ago. He said that coming out of college the OLineman are nowhere near where they used to be. I guess less reps and spreads etc. but he did not elaborate on the exact issue. I've also heard Sam Mays mention similar issues and he specified it was due to lack of practices in today's college game. So, I'm not being that critical of Bedenbaugh. Still, it is obvious in most seasons our OLine takes a bit to jell.
Bedenbaugh's proven.

Injuries. Mahomes has one of the better OLines in the NFL. So does Jalen. If you are going to have a dual threat QB in the NFL you better have a great OLine or the QB will not make it through a season without missing games.
Then there's the bidwells? Cardinals? 😁

Indeed. He puts em in the NFL though my man.
Yep. Not arguing that aspect. Just ask yourself though what the margin for error will be next year. If we can't protect the QB or run the ball etc. until game 3,4,5.

I had a similar prediction last year before the season started. I saw the depletion of the DLine guys who bailed early or graduated. When people were so excited with BV coming on board. I've seen significant improvement in most of the positions though so I am happy overall. I do think though, for whatever reason, our OLine has been just okay at times, with flashes of great, but inconsistent and slow to start. It seems to me to be a recurring theme each year.

Alright my man, take it easy!

Yep. Not arguing that aspect. Just ask yourself though what the margin for error will be next year. If we can't protect the QB or run the ball etc. until game 3,4,5.

I had a similar prediction last year before the season started. I saw the depletion of the DLine guys who bailed early or graduated. When people were so excited with BV coming on board. I've seen significant improvement in most of the positions though so I am happy overall. I do think though, for whatever reason, our OLine has been just okay at times, with flashes of great, but inconsistent and slow to start. It seems to me to be a recurring theme each year.

Alright my man, take it easy!
Bedenbaugh's the man. I'm all in. 👍

I think DG knows his time in college is up and that he had a good understanding that Arnold will be the guy next season. He's humble and a great leader. I'm thankful he made his mark in Norman but he'll declare for the draft. I don't think he's the guy to put Venables or Arnold in that situation and he really can't prove anymore at the college level.

Reactions: Chiefgelanta
Let DG come back if he wants, may the best QB win the job. If JA is as great as everyone says then it should be easy for him to beat out DG. Also gives us depth at QB next yr competing in a tougher league.
67 we both know if DG comes it wont matter if JA is the better QB. Lebbys loyalty to DG will be the defining factor not who is actually better. I don’t buy into the “ It will be a true QB competition” for that job. If he comes back OU can say goodbye to JA. Just my opinion though.

DG isnt coming back without a guarantee to start.

67 we both know if DG comes it wont matter if JA is the better QB. Lebbys loyalty to DG will be the defining factor not who is actually better. I don’t buy into the “ It will be a true QB competition” for that job. If he comes back OU can say goodbye to JA. Just my opinion though.

Arnold is also Lebby's guy. It's why Arnold came to Norman. I also don't believe Arnold would transfer if Gabriel came back.

Let DG come back if he wants, may the best QB win the job. If JA is as great as everyone says then it should be easy for him to beat out DG. Also gives us depth at QB next yr competing in a tougher league.
If only it were that simple. With Lebby, he can make some BAD decisions! JA will not have it. It's going to be interesting.

Just now DG threw a deep ball way under thrown, it was caught but in the NFL, that's a interception most of the time
Yeah, I agree. JA is probably the most talented QB in the nation. I know Lebby is comfortable with DG because he knows it's kinda of safe for him. I have no confidence in Lebby's play calling, so why would I have confidence in his #1 vs #2 choices with QB or any other position?

Gabriel isn’t giving up huge chunk plays and long drives against one of the worst offensive teams in the country. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, OU’s overrated defense is the biggest problem this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT