ADVERTISEMENT

Wronghorns suck

Move them up, gives TCU a better resume to get into the playoffs. Would like to see TCU make it the year after Patterson leaves. I guy gets on my nerves with all the lip-licking and pulling up on his pants. Always had one female trainer follow him around with his own water bottle. Hope TCU put a beatdown on Texas and Pattersons' defense.

Reactions: iasooner2000
The Longhorns are in the top 20 because they played Bama tough. Somehow, if you can do that, you must be good, no matter how many second half leads you blow against ungreat competition. But LH deserves credit for a good road win Saturday night. Winning in Manhattan this season is an accomplishment, no matter how much we hate them.

Move them up, gives TCU a better resume to get into the playoffs. Would like to see TCU make it the year after Patterson leaves. I guy gets on my nerves with all the lip-licking and pulling up on his pants. Always had one female trainer follow him around with his own water bottle. Hope TCU put a beatdown on Texas and Pattersons' defense.
At DKR. 👍

She also had to carry his sweat towel, nasty.
DBNd343UwAAXxJu.jpg:large

tcu-gary.gif

The "Horned Whorns". All them Texas are pretty much in the same boat as far as I'm concerned.
I’ve never been a conference guy. I’m for Oklahoma. Whatever happens to the rest of the B12 doesn’t matter to me. The other members rarely help OU. If we are great it doesn’t matter how good or bad the rest of the members are. I know that’s not a popular opinion. You can be in a sorry conference but if you kick ass that’s what matters.

I’ve never been a conference guy. I’m for Oklahoma. Whatever happens to the rest of the B12 doesn’t matter to me. The other members rarely help OU. If we are great it doesn’t matter how good or bad the rest of the members are. I know that’s not a popular opinion. You can be in a sorry conference but if you kick ass that’s what matters.
In a few years we may wish OU had stayed in the Big 12, but I also think a weak conference works against playing in the postseason, especially the CFP's... and I believe OU has shown this to be true many times.
I think it DOES matter how good or bad a conference is. Stoops' and Riley's bowl and playoff failures are, for me, graphic proof.

A
In a few years we may wish OU had stayed in the Big 12, but I also think a weak conference works against playing in the postseason, especially the CFP's... and I believe OU has shown this to be true many times.
I think it DOES matter how good or bad a conference is. Stoops' and Riley's bowl and playoff failures are, for me, graphic proof.
The point is “If you kick ass that’s what matters”. All those CFP losses were because we didn’t have the better team or didn’t play/coach up to our standards. Our conference members weren’t an issue. If we don’t have better teams in the future there won’t be anymore national titles. But that’s just my opinion.

A

The point is “If you kick ass that’s what matters”. All those CFP losses were because we didn’t have the better team or didn’t play/coach up to our standards. Our conference members weren’t an issue. If we don’t have better teams in the future there won’t be anymore national titles. But that’s just my opinion.
But if you dont get there, you cant win it. OU had an easier path to getting there in the Big 12. Not saying it wont ever happen again, but the path will definitely be tougher, Hopefully Jackson Arnold is that dude and he can get us headed in the right direction for other recruits to follow.

Hearing if Hill commits to Texas Vasek will follow. Bedlam is a must win, there will be lots of top recruits at that game. Hill is planning of being in there.

But if you dont get there, you cant win it. OU had an easier path to getting there in the Big 12. Not saying it wont ever happen again, but the path will definitely be tougher, Hopefully Jackson Arnold is that dude and he can get us headed in the right direction for other recruits to follow.
Offense really hasnt been the problem in the past. The defense is the key to OUs future success as I believe the offense will stay very good

It's a double-edged sword:
An easier schedule makes it easier to win the Big 12 and be included in the playoffs, but it doesn't really prepare OU (or any team) to compete against elite teams like Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, etc.
On the other hand, tougher regular-season schedules make it harder to get to the playoffs.
Regardless, OU is destined to join the SEC and aside from the financial windfall, OU must recruit on the level of Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, and reestablish its defensive legacy that's been missing for many seasons.
Jackson Arnold is a huge addition, but his teams at OU will suffer the fates of the Mayfield, Murray and Hurts eras if OU continues to suck defensively. That trio should have netted at least two championships had it not been for the lack of championship caliber defensive units.
Unless Venables can produce teams with good defenses, Arnold will be just another Oklahoma quarterback with gaudy statistics and zero championships. Josh Heupel didn't have gaudy numbers, but in 2000 he made clutch plays and had a defense that stopped people, especially when it counted.

Alabama and Georgia play in a pretty tough conference and they both get there most years. I think having to play in a strong conference may play into their favor. Or maybe that doesn’t have anything to do with it. What matters most is having great players on both sides of the ball. I just don’t believe having one strength is going to win championships. The national champs pretty much always play great offense and defense. It was certainly was the case for the team Bob Stoops put on the field in 2000. Worked for Barry’s champs too.

Alabama and Georgia play in a pretty tough conference and they both get there most years. I think having to play in a strong conference may play into their favor. Or maybe that doesn’t have anything to do with it. What matters most is having great players on both sides of the ball. I just don’t believe having one strength is going to win championships. The national champs pretty much always play great offense and defense. It was certainly was the case for the team Bob Stoops put on the field in 2000. Worked for Barry’s champs too.
A strong conference for a team to play in helps recruiting.

A strong conference for a team to play in helps recruiting.
I agree, CT. The Big 12 has become an offensive conference. Thus very few elite defensive players want play for B12 schools. We’ve had two defensive All Americans that I can remember since 2010. Go back to 1970 and we probably averaged 8 or 9 a decade and several multi year All Americans. Barry won 3 titles during that time. Both sides of the ball were great.

Alabama and UGa have home states that produce a ton of top recruits. OU does not. It's apples and oranges. There are several negatives about going to the NCAA. It is a much more physical conference, and it's very likely that you are going to have more attrition in the SEC.

Winning an NC, especially at OU, takes more basic luck than the other teams need. We really really haven't had the best roster in the country on an NC team, since the days when at least a couple of Selmons were lining up on the defense. In 1985 we won the natty, but the most talented team in the country was Miami. They beat us three straight in '85, '86 and '87. 1987 was our best shot to beat them. It was the closest game, but they were still able to do things that we couldn't do.

We won a natty in 2000 because of several things. We were the only P6 team in the country that was running a spread. And we had a bunch of luck with no injuries, especially in the OLine where we were razor thin.

On the other hand, we absolutely had the best team in the country in 2008, but had to play the championship without OUr best running back, who later proved how great a stud he was, and had to face Florida without OUr first team MLB or OUr second guy there. And we played Balogun who wasn't bad, but had zero starting experience, and the Gators took advantage of that.

Game day is not always about your roster. It's about who is available to play that day, and then all the other factors in winning or losing. We had a solid number two back against the Gators, but the difference between #1 and #3 was huge. And short an MLB, Florida was able to control the ball and get a couple of calls and barely beat us.

In the SEC, OUr depth shortage is going to be a big factor. Hopefully, joining the SEC will help us nearly as much in recruiting as it helps Texas A&M. But it will help the Longhorns more.

I had a long talk with former Sooner fullback/rb Tim Welch in '97 or 98, talking about the new paradigm of the Big XII, and speculated that we might never another NC. Then Bob Stoops came along and over the next 22 years we won the conference more than the other 11 teams combed, then the other nine. Half the years we were in the NC hunt,, and played for the title a bunch and won it once.

If Nick Anderson hadn't got hurt just before the half against UGa, or if the staff had given Sermon a second half shot against his home state team, maybe we had another shot. But right now, I'm feeling like I did in 1998. And I wish we weren't going to the SEC. I liked hating them better

Great post, Plaino.
I'll add that Alabama and Georgia not only have abundant in-state talent, but they also recruit all of Dixie as well as coast-to-coast.... and have a legacy to sell as well.

Alabama and UGa have home states that produce a ton of top recruits. OU does not. It's apples and oranges. There are several negatives about going to the NCAA. It is a much more physical conference, and it's very likely that you are going to have more attrition in the SEC.

Winning an NC, especially at OU, takes more basic luck than the other teams need. We really really haven't had the best roster in the country on an NC team, since the days when at least a couple of Selmons were lining up on the defense. In 1985 we won the natty, but the most talented team in the country was Miami. They beat us three straight in '85, '86 and '87. 1987 was our best shot to beat them. It was the closest game, but they were still able to do things that we couldn't do.

We won a natty in 2000 because of several things. We were the only P6 team in the country that was running a spread. And we had a bunch of luck with no injuries, especially in the OLine where we were razor thin.

On the other hand, we absolutely had the best team in the country in 2008, but had to play the championship without OUr best running back, who later proved how great a stud he was, and had to face Florida without OUr first team MLB or OUr second guy there. And we played Balogun who wasn't bad, but had zero starting experience, and the Gators took advantage of that.

Game day is not always about your roster. It's about who is available to play that day, and then all the other factors in winning or losing. We had a solid number two back against the Gators, but the difference between #1 and #3 was huge. And short an MLB, Florida was able to control the ball and get a couple of calls and barely beat us.

In the SEC, OUr depth shortage is going to be a big factor. Hopefully, joining the SEC will help us nearly as much in recruiting as it helps Texas A&M. But it will help the Longhorns more.

I had a long talk with former Sooner fullback/rb Tim Welch in '97 or 98, talking about the new paradigm of the Big XII, and speculated that we might never another NC. Then Bob Stoops came along and over the next 22 years we won the conference more than the other 11 teams combed, then the other nine. Half the years we were in the NC hunt,, and played for the title a bunch and won it once.

If Nick Anderson hadn't got hurt just before the half against UGa, or if the staff had given Sermon a second half shot against his home state team, maybe we had another shot. But right now, I'm feeling like I did in 1998. And I wish we weren't going to the SEC. I liked hating them better
Well, I hope you’re wrong, Plaino. Otherwise OU isn’t likely to win another national championship. That’s what you’re really implying isn’t it?

At least, not in my lifetime.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Well, I hope you’re wrong, Plaino. Otherwise OU isn’t likely to win another national championship. That’s what you’re really implying isn’t it?

At least, not in my lifetime.
I guess it all depends on how much of a bump in recruiting we get from the move.

In my little one-man service business, l had a lot of Orangeblood clients who made fun of A&M when they moved to the SEC. "They haven't competed that well in the Big 12. How can they compete in the SEC West?"

And the Aggies really haven't. But it's not a coincidence that they were a Texas step brother at the time of the move. Since the move, they've outperformed Texas. And the Longhorns have had a decade dip. A&M IS better. Not better than LH. But better by comparison.

I just don't know if we'll be. I think BV might make it happen. But the next two years will be telling. It hasn't been a good start. And we still have no idea how the divisions will be split up. That's going to be a big factor.

Reactions: Oklabama
I guess it all depends on how much of a bump in recruiting we get from the move.

In my little one-man service business, l had a lot of Orangeblood clients who made fun of A&M when they moved to the SEC. "They haven't competed that well in the Big 12. How can they compete in the SEC West?"

And the Aggies really haven't. But it's not a coincidence that they were a Texas step brother at the time of the move. Since the move, they've outperformed Texas. And the Longhorns have had a decade dip. A&M IS better. Not better than LH. But better by comparison.

I just don't know if we'll be. I think BV might make it happen. But the next two years will be telling. It hasn't been a good start. And we still have no idea how the divisions will be split up. That's going to be a big factor.
“So, you’re saying there’s a chance”. None of us know, but we’re going to find out and it will be interesting. I always appreciate reading your candid thoughts. Boomer!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT