ADVERTISEMENT

WR

Only complaint I have is lack of pressure by the Dline, thought they would have a few sacks.

Arkansas State is really bad. Penalties, dropped passes and outmanned as much as any opponent I’ve ever seen OU play.
Regardless, it’s good to see such improvement and young players playing well.

Arky St had a couple of DB's get hurt early, and they were already outmanned coming in. We may very well be terrific at WR. But l think now that we are on tape, they'll be more challenged next week and in the future.

It was a very solid performance. It was good to see Gibson look good, and great to see Anderson look healthy.

We got every break yesterday even from the stripes. We'll see how that goes once conference play starts.

Like the OC said. It was a good start.

Reactions: iasooner2000
I was curious about the contested catches we had. It seemed separation was a bit of an issue on intermediate and deep routes. In the end zone, I can understand that. However, several of DG's passes were underthrown. I can think of one that he hit the receiver in full sprint. The rest I remember were causing the receivers to slow a bit. Good to see the guys making competitive catches though.

I can think of two where he hit somebody deep in full stride. One was on the first drive to Anthony. But the defender grabbed Anthony's pants top in back and pulled him down before the ball arrived. One was to Anderson in the second q on the right sideline, the first play after he caught his first pass. It was a beautiful looking play. There may have been others. But when you score a touchdown on every first half drive but one, and score 42 points in the first 23 minutes of the game, it's hard to complain about the quarterback play.

I can think of two where he hit somebody deep in full stride. One was on the first drive to Anthony. But the defender grabbed Anthony's pants top in back and pulled him down before the ball arrived. One was to Anderson in the second q on the right sideline, the first play after he caught his first pass. It was a beautiful looking play. There may have been others. But when you score a touchdown on every first half drive but one, and score 42 points in the first 23 minutes of the game, it's hard to complain about the quarterback play.
I think you are right, the first deep ball and one more were in stride. I think my observations though have merit. If Ark St. db's can shadow our receivers, with admittedly no holding calls, the rest of our competition will cause some problems. That is where the QB run game will be crucial.

Several balls were underthrown, the WRs had several steps on the DBs Anthony and Pettaway are supposed to be burners, was surprised at how fast Anderson is. He is built a little different than his brother.

I think you are right, the first deep ball and one more were in stride. I think my observations though have merit. If Ark St. db's can shadow our receivers, with admittedly no holding calls, the rest of our competition will cause some problems. That is where the QB run game will be crucial.
And we've two very talented qb's who can rush for yards and do it consistently in just the right situations. 👍

Several balls were underthrown, the WRs had several steps on the DBs Anthony and Pettaway are supposed to be burners, was surprised at how fast Anderson is. He is built a little different than his brother.
I think what you state here is part of why the balls were underthrown. We have burners, and Gabriel doesn't have quite the arm to get it out there.

To Gabriel's defense, it seemed like the underthrown balls were either on reads or free plays. That means he had some hesitation in the plays that allowed the receivers to get too far out on him before launching the ball.

For Gabriel to keep in sync with his receivers, it seems he really needs a designed play in which he gets the ball off early and lets them run under it.

Just a reminder. On the deep ball, it's way better to miss short, than overthrow everybody for an incompletion. We were 30 or 33 from our top two. A well placed underthrow especially if the direction is smart, can be a very effective throw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT