ADVERTISEMENT

Why has Mike S. being in the booth worked so well?

BawlzDeep

OU scholarship offer
Dec 16, 2013
Is it a matter of Stoops seeing the offensive alignment better and making the calls?

This is a good question. Maybe he's more focused on playcalling and not chewing asses?

You may have only been kidding, but you could be right. I do think Mike has a better feel for what's happening on the field from up stairs, which produces better play calling. And, although he still gets very excited and upset when players bust assignments (we have all seen him when the camera focuses on him), I think being in the booth away from the players allows him to settle down more quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if for this reason, Mike was told to get upstairs. Of course that's just a guess. Regardless I really like the results.

Reactions: BillyRay
I was as down on Mike as anyone for the Baylor debacles the last two years. And Clemson last year. The 5 losses was just unbelievable.
But, to answer the original question, I firmly believe it is the D-Line becoming one of the best in football and the back 4-5 gaining a year's experience.
I am beginning to think the reason Mike played 10-15 yards off of receivers on 3rd and 3 is, he felt giving up 6-8 yards was better than giving up 60 yards.
Talent was lacking on the D-line and DB.
Now, that being said, I am extremely happy that he is in the booth, just to get his embarrassing antics off the air waves. And shame on ABC for continually going out of their way to put Mike on the air Saturday night.
But, I believe the issue with our D the last couple of years has been young players and lack of talent in older players.

Last edited:
Saturday night was the first time that I can remember seeing Mike on tv that much. I also think the biggest difference in our defense from last year is the fact that our d-line is playing really well and the db's are a lot better.

Saturday night was the first time that I can remember seeing Mike on tv that much. I also think the biggest difference in our defense from last year is the fact that our d-line is playing really well and the db's are a lot better.

No question our players at playing better, but experience and better coaching may be a factor also. Bob's new hires and coaching moves?

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
I wonder if it is like watching the coaches film in real time and being able to make subtle corrections or look at patterns by the opposing team. That being said, I also think the staff is working better together and the players are developing as the year goes on, I don't think they have reached their potential ceiling yet.

I am not saying last years coaches were bad, but maybe they just weren't a fit in the long run.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
He no longer coaches the DBs so his whole focus is being a DC. Getting his temper tantrums off the field has helped as well.

I think moving to the booth is only a small part of the improvement in our D. First, the new D-line coach has stepped right into Montgomery's shoes and he is scheming with a gap alignment as opposed to being head up as we were. We are also much more multiple in our approach and we have finally got some much needed D-line depth. Cooks' addition has been huge, as has been mentioned, and the consolidation of the unit in terms of teaching is a plus. It was time to retire BJW and allowing Mike to scheme rather than have to coach and scheme is a real positive, whether he's on the sidelines or in the booth. I think our young LB's have grown up, not only mentally but physically. The total package has delivered a Sooner D that harkens back to some of our best in the Stoops era.

Ask former Arizona players where they wish he had been during his career there.

Last edited:
Some of you get it, some don't.

Mike didn't get all retard idiot between his first stint here and this one.

The only real difference is the personnel he had to work with.

Sam Bradford didn't share his Heisman Trophy with Josh Heuple...he earned it all by himself.

More and better players.

And less responsibility coaching players game day skills. He gets to spend more time on game plans and less getting five or six DB's on and off the field.

And they did it to get the D call in a little quicker. Three seconds can make a lot of difference.

Sam Bradford didn't share his Heisman Trophy with Josh Heuple...he earned it all by himself.

I've always believed this. Although many gave credit to Huepel for the accolades of Braford. It even got Heupel a promotion. I also don't think the masses believe MS got all 'retard idiot' either. But he clearly was not getting the results expected. Plaino's explanation of less responsibility of one on one coaching is very plausible. So far, the results speak well of the changes.

Ding ding ding!!

More and better players.

And less responsibility coaching players game day skills. He gets to spend more time on game plans and less getting five or six DB's on and off the field.

And they did it to get the D call in a little quicker. Three seconds can make a lot of difference.

Ding, ding, ding...again.

Mike may not have fit his players early on but lets not act like he didn't have some talent to work with.

3 of the DBs that started in the West Virginia (778 yds) and A&M (633 yds) defensive debacles have gone on to NFL and have had multiple NFL starts each.
4 of the front 7 have played or are playing NFL.

He did not have talent to have a shut down national championship defense, but he had the talent to do much much better than he did. Not many Stoops era teams have secondary with 3 guys going on to make NFL starts.

Mike may not have fit his players early on but lets not act like he didn't have some talent to work with.

3 of the DBs that started in the West Virginia (778 yds) and A&M (633 yds) defensive debacles have gone on to NFL and have had multiple NFL starts each.

He did not have talent to have a shut down national championship defense, but he had the talent to do much much better than he did. Not many Stoops era teams have secondary with 3 guys going on to make NFL starts.

Good point, that tells me, and this is just speculation, that Mike and Brent Venables weren't pulling the same rope together at times.

That's why they only averaged 7 yards per carry. :)

Good point, that tells me, and this is just speculation, that Mike and Brent Venables weren't pulling the same rope together at times.

Yep and when MS signed on, it didn't take Venables long to move on. The same with the coach that basically walked for a lesser job NFL job. I think w/ MS, it's 'My Way or the Highway' . I believe that Bob recognized this and moved him upstairs to remove the constant, heat of the moment sideline emotion that was tearing the defense apart.

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?
Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.
Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?
Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.
Bob Slydell: Eight?
Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

Mhmm....;)

Yep and when MS signed on, it didn't take Venables long to move on. The same with the coach that basically walked for a lesser job NFL job. I think w/ MS, it's 'My Way or the Highway' . I believe that Bob recognized this and moved him upstairs to remove the constant, heat of the moment sideline emotion that was tearing the defense apart.
I really believe Bob should be retired and if Bob wants to keep him on as a private consultant he makes enough that he could pay him out of his salary. Cooks has done a wonderful job of evaluating talent and coaching the D backs. Actually a big Thanks to all our new coaches whom I believe(along with the players stating they needed different coaching faster, harder etc.) have made the big difference in how improved we are playing this season.

I really believe Bob should be retired and if Bob wants to keep him on as a private consultant he makes enough that he could pay him out of his salary. Cooks has done a wonderful job of evaluating talent and coaching the D backs. Actually a big Thanks to all our new coaches whom I believe(along with the players stating they needed different coaching faster, harder etc.) have made the big difference in how improved we are playing this season.
Thank you for bringing that up I had forgotten about that little nugget they mentioned during the game the other night. I believe it was Shepard when they said had told the media that after the Texas game, many of the players had a meeting with the coaches and basically told them their current practice level wasn't getting it done. The players wanted to be pushed faster and harder. That says alot when the players have to push the coaches. Kudos to the players for having enough self-motivation to tell the coaches they want more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT