ADVERTISEMENT

Wheaton scheduled to commit December 23rd.....

Well that's scary. Saban typcially gets what he wants... especially at RB.

While he may be listed as a Texas lean, RB L.J. Johnson from Cypress Tx is still in the mix.
With Texas having coaching issues, anything is possible.
Johnson is rated a 6.0 4-star recruit.

Wheaton is not a 5 star RB. I've watched him play for two years and all he has is speed. Doesnt have great hands out of the backfield and rarely breaks tackles. Maybe behind a dominant OL he will be good. Johnson is a more rounded back IMO

He has speed for days, his OL is subpar, I've watched him in person several times and just havent been impressed. We've played against better backs, that are 2-3 stars. Again IMO

If Wheaton’s not a five star recruit, why should OU or Alabama want him ?
Wheaten IS a 5-star recruit per most on line sources. In fact some if not all rate him the number 1 RB in this class. That being said, Coe has seen him in person right? Gotta be worth a thought

While he may be listed as a Texas lean, RB L.J. Johnson from Cypress Tx is still in the mix.
With Texas having coaching issues, anything is possible.
Johnson is rated a 6.0 4-star recruit.
Looks like Johnson is a TU/A&M fight. Hope we’re right about Wheaton

Wheaten IS a 5-star recruit per most on line sources. In fact some if not all rate him the number 1 RB in this class. That being said, Coe has seen him in person right? Gotta be worth a thought
OU usually does well recruiting running backs. I'm trusting Riley and his staff on this one.

It's all we can do really. Riley & his staff are pretty good at spotting excellent talent and reeling them in too. I just hope we don't have another Jase McCellan on our hands. If so, I think this will be the week that it'll happen. Even McCellan was sharp enough to reach out to Riley last year (I think it was about this time frame) to let him know the bad news.

The #1 WR, commits Friday. He visited last weekend and went really well. He was a heavy OSU lean but now it's 50/50 tOSU or OU.

Wheaton was better in his junior year, than his senior year. I hope I'm wrong and he comes to OU and tears it up. Maybe with the right coaching and OL he will show why is a 5 star.

Often times the proper coaching is all it takes to bring up a player. I have no doubts that DeMarco can work with him to elevate his game not only as a fast RB but into a more complete back. In the OU fast offense you cannot whiff on blocks or fumble.

Reactions: iasooner1
Because his team was quarantined they will not get to play in the playoffs, so if he was banged up some this season at least now he gets to rest. Another Sooner commit will be taking his spot in the playoffs, WR Jordan Hudson from Garland will replace Lakeview.

Often times the proper coaching is all it takes to bring up a player. I have no doubts that DeMarco can work with him to elevate his game not only as a fast RB but into a more complete back. In the OU fast offense you cannot whiff on blocks or fumble.
Agreed, as well as getting them involved in the short to intermediate passing game. That was the only way to get Stevenson productive early in the Baylor game.

Wheaton was better in his junior year, than his senior year. I hope I'm wrong and he comes to OU and tears it up. Maybe with the right coaching and OL he will show why is a 5 star.
As his senior year was during a pandemic, it is understandable why he had a less than stellar year. Happened to lots of athletes in many sports.

After watching RB Jace McClellan yesterday play and seeing him save a pick-6 return, catching the defensive player from behind......then running 80 yards for a score, it's apparent OU lost a huge recruit last year in the 2020 class to Alabama.
All the more reason to get Wheaton, even though he may be just a lowly 4-star recruit.....you know, just as Sermon and Brooks were in the 2017 class or Rodney Anderson was in the 2015 class....or Perine was in the 2014 class.
Maybe Grinch can make a linebacker out of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner1
After watching RB Jace McClellan yesterday play and seeing him save a pick-6 return, catching the defensive player from behind......then running 80 yards for a score, it's apparent OU lost a huge recruit last year in the 2020 class to Alabama.
All the more reason to get Wheaton, even though he may be just a lowly 4-star recruit.....you know, just as Sermon and Brooks were in the 2017 class or Rodney Anderson was in the 2015 class....or Perine was in the 2014 class.
Maybe Grinch can make a linebacker out of him.
still bugs me losing that guy after the length of his commitment and then the timing of his reversal. really put us behind the 8-ball. silently hope he has 4 years of turf toe

Reactions: soonersoldier
still bugs me losing that guy after the length of his commitment and then the timing of his reversal. really put us behind the 8-ball. silently hope he has 4 years of turf toe
McClellan's commitment, like all commitments, was non-binding and given Alabama's resources, coaching and legacy, I can understand a high school player having a change of heart and I don't wish any player to get injured if he does what McClellan did.
I'm sure your comment was in jest.
It was okay for Ryan Broyles to change his mind several times between OU and OSU and LB Brynden Walker switched to OU from his OSU commitment.
It's part of the recruiting game for players to change their minds. We aren't getting every player we recruit.

On another note, Texas fans have always moaned about OU "raiding" Texas high schools for talent, as if a boy in one state should never be allowed to play football outside of his own state.
OU would not have its great legacy without its appeal and recruiting success in Texas, a state with 7 times the population of Oklahoma and one of the top 3 recruiting areas in the country. If Texas fans want to obsess over that, it's not our concern and never should be.....especially in this era of nationwide cherry-picking for talent by every team.

Alabama loses Nagee Harris and Brian Robinson and returns two freshman, Jace McClellan and Roydell Williams.
Aside from Wheaton, Alabama's chasing two 3-star backs.
I think this means that Saban is going hard for Wheaton.

Bama's RB Trey Sanders car accident has him out indefinitely and it has changed the outlook for Wheaton to OU. It would totally suck to see losing two RBs Back 2 back to Bama. That would be painful. DeMarco better get on his high horse but fast and close the deal... or get someone else on board fast.

Last edited:
Jermie Calhoun....ditto.
Calhoun suffered a serious knee injury his sophomore year in 2010 and transferred to Angelo State.
He redshirted in 2008 with Murray, Moses Madu and Chris Brown on the roster.
Many 5-star players don't pan out and personally I don't see Wheaton on the same level as Peterson....yet.
DeMarco Murray was a 4-star prospect with a 6.0 rating, so it only reveals how much of a crap shoot recruiting ratings can be.

Adrian Peterson was a 5-star prospect, with a 6.1 rating.
Camar Wheaton....ditto.
Adrian Peterson was the rarest of athletes, who was a certain to be elite college guy. He was slightly disappointing because he was hurt so much at OU. And we really changed the whole offense for him.

There are 6.1's and there are 6.1's. Wheaton is really really fast. But he's not running over people, and through tackles like A.D. did. And A.D was maybe leaning slightly toward Texas, until the 2003 Sooner win in Dallas. 65-13. When the Texas coach recruiting him, called him afterward, Adrian said, "Coach, you got beat baaad." And Bob Stoops was the only coach who went to see A.D.'s father in prison. He was solid to OU afterward, though I believe he didn't publically announce it until the Army AA game in San Antonio.

I saw a public article by one of Camar's teachers a few months ago, which was highly praiseworthy of his character, and just what a special man he is. I think he might be totally misread in all of this. My guess is that he is a really smart, thoughtful kid. And he wants to wait until all the public declaration of who is coming back to the schools he's considering. And he's not much for having his phone ringing off the wall with fan site moderators trying to get the real scoop. So he just made himself obviously unavailable.

I saw a quote earlier today saying that nobody knows where he's going, because likely he doesn't know. Sounded like it was his coach, though it wasn't' attributed that way. I just hope the kid does what's best for him, and it's OU. And I still think there's a chance it's exactly that.

Read now it's a 5 pm announcement, CST.
There's mention of an Auburn back transferring to OU on one Alabama message board, rolltidebama.com as well as the same uncertainty about Wheaton that many of us have.

Both fanbases, Bama and ours, say he went radio silent a few days ago. So who knows

Calhoun suffered a serious knee injury his sophomore year in 2010 and transferred to Angelo State.
He redshirted in 2008 with Murray, Moses Madu and Chris Brown on the roster.
Many 5-star players don't pan out and personally I don't see Wheaton on the same level as Peterson....yet.
DeMarco Murray was a 4-star prospect with a 6.0 rating, so it only reveals how much of a crap shoot recruiting ratings can be.
calhoun ran 4.8 before wrecking his knee

wheaton will never be on the same level as peterson

I hope your right Plainosooner. At this point, on the surface, he appears to be a head case. He's had the time and he's heard the pitches from a few of the very best. He's just gotta pull the trigger. Make a decision & make something happen. If it doesn't work out, He's got the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT