ADVERTISEMENT

What's this wedge penalty we got called on?

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
Yes, I understand the rule, but it's bull crap. The rule was put into effect to stop the flying wedge where old time teams joined arms to get an advantage over the coverage team. That alone confuses me. Join arms and I'll knock you down. The new rule is no more than two players can have their shoulder within two yards of each other........Really, really stupid.

The NCAA must be watching this, because 3 different teams had it called on them yesterday. More than all of last year. Quit screwing with the best game we all love. Next thing you know we will have a 40 yard extra point.

JMO..............

Reactions: iasooner1
Yes, I understand the rule, but it's bull crap. The rule was put into effect to stop the flying wedge where old time teams joined arms to get an advantage over the coverage team. That alone confuses me. Join arms and I'll knock you down. The new rule is no more than two players can have their shoulder within two yards of each other........Really, really stupid.

The NCAA must be watching this, because 3 different teams had it called on them yesterday. More than all of last year. Quit screwing with the best game we all love. Next thing you know we will have a 40 yard extra point.

JMO..............

Yep, I still haven't gotten past them making players lose the leather helmets and going to the hard shell. Geez...;)

Yep, I still haven't gotten past them making players lose the leather helmets and going to the hard shell. Geez...;)

Well, I think it's a stupid rule. If the return team wants to join arms and dance a cabaret, let um.....Next thing you'll see is yard sticks taped to the returning team players shoulder pads....Dumb rule.

Well, I think it's a stupid rule. If the return team wants to join arms and dance a cabaret, let um.....Next thing you'll see is yard sticks taped to the returning team players shoulder pads....Dumb rule.

Oh I know, just grinding the thread.
I feel the same way about rodeo cowboys wearing helmets...It's just plain wrong!:rolleyes:

Yep, I saw it called twice Saturday, but it was explained two different ways. One was no more than two and the other was no more than three. So which is it? Heck, I never knew there so such of a rule. I'm with K2C, why?

Yep, I saw it called twice Saturday, but it was explained two different ways. One was no more than two and the other was no more than three. So which is it? Heck, I never knew there so such of a rule. I'm with K2C, why?

It was reported Merv Johnson said he had never heard of it on the radio? Strange.

Well, it has to be some safety thing...if both teams can do it then that would rule out being an unfair advantage.

Realizing it's pretty low percentage, just once, I'd like to see someone do an old drop kick for goal.
I know they've fallen out of favor, but are they still legal?

OK, OK, I got it.
Drop kicks aren't done anymore because the football has gotten pointier, from its more rugby shape in the 20s and 30s, when drop kicks were the 'cats meow'.

They are still legal however, and some directional school pulled one off in 1998. That being the last time. (source, Wiki)

OK, OK, I got it.
Drop kicks aren't done anymore because the football has gotten pointier, from its more rugby shape in the 20s and 30s, when drop kicks were the 'cats meow'.

They are still legal however, and some directional school pulled one off in 1998. That being the last time. (source, Wiki)

I'm not sure (plaino) didn't Joe Wylie kick a drop kick?

OK, OK, I got it.

The Indian inmate did it in the original Longest Yard. He was a former college QB that played the part. Sonny Sixkiller from Talhequah that played for Washington University. Funny how I can remember stuff like that and don't know what day it is half the time.

No, Joe Wylie didn't drop kick in a game. I can't remember which team, but Dough Flutie was alloweed to do it in the NFL at the end of his career there. And it was good. It would be a bigger challenge with the new yard lines for XPs in the NFL.

The wedge rule isn't about the flying wedge. It used to be pretty common for teams to take four big guys and after they'd covered the field for a KO return, if the kick went deep, they'd join together in the middle of the field, not unlike the protection that many teams use in punt formation, but have them move forward together.

At first, the rules committee said they couldn't touch each other any more, which was how they kept track of how close they were. They'd drop hands to deliver the blocks, but that was disallowed. But it wasn't that long ago, that stats told the powers that be that the percentage of injuries were happening on kick offs and kick off returns.So they made that illegal. I believe the rule is more than two guys can't be moving forward together. Not sure of the exact proximity.

It had to have been a point of emphasis for XII officials Saturday. I only saw it called against Baylor, but I heard reference of it being called three times last Saturday. And all three were in XII conference games The coaches know the rules. And I don't think there was intent involved, but it's definitely a rule and the coaches know about it. And my guess is that it was emphasized last Saturday because it was the first Saturday when all ten conference teams were playing each other.

It's a good rule. It makes for a safer KO return, and a better conceived strategy on both sides.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
The NFL installed the wedge rule in 2009. The colleges installed it the next year. The confusion on the numbers is just semantics. One person says more than two. The other says three or more. That's the same number.

The rule says that more than two people within two yards of each other on the same plane is illegal. And it doesn't apply to onside kick receiving.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/apr/16/ncaa-tweaks-wedge-rule/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...edge-means-major-adjustment-for-kickoff-units

Since everyone is so concerned about player safety and injuries are so prevalent during kickoffs, then just eliminate kickoffs altogether and start at the 25 yard line..... :rolleyes:

Like others have said, this is a very dumb and confusing rule.

Reactions: Oklabama
[QUOTE="Schoonerman, post: 398414, member: 62"
Like others have said, this is a very dumb and confusing rule.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Obviously, most fans are missing something. o_O

Were some WV players walking around with their jock straps over the helmets??...oh wedge...not wedgie. What a dumb thing to call when a targeting helmet to helmet blow was whiffed on.

Reactions: Oklabama
Since everyone is so concerned about player safety and injuries are so prevalent during kickoffs, then just eliminate kickoffs altogether and start at the 25 yard line..... :rolleyes:

Like others have said, this is a very dumb and confusing rule.

Kind of hard to come from behind without a kickoff. Might as well change the name of the game to scrimmage ball. Scrimmageball?

Maybe we have a scrum at midfield like Rugby. Naw just more injuries. Teddy Roosevelt was responsible for the elimination of the old flying wedge. Took em almost a hundred years to eliminate the wedge on kickoffs.

Both benefitted the players, and therefore the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT