ADVERTISEMENT

What's the difference between a "will LB" and a "Sam LB" ?

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
Okay, I'm old school. It used to be middle linebackers and defensive ends (outside LB's) that stand up and possibly rush. Now days we have linebackers that not only do that, but some go into a three or four point stance. Some even replace the "" position, which has middle pass coverage. I call that a "nickel back". I'm so confused.........Help me out coaches...........

Here's a few to compare. Wasn't Dan Cody, Jimbo Elrod and Gary Baccus more stand up ends than what we do today? I don't remember them being called a linebacker, will or sam.

Oh well, something some of you coaching types can school me on..............

I'm guessing "Sam" is in the middle. I have never seen Dom or Evans called that.... "Will" could be anything, including Will Johnson, a nickel back.

Something to discuss.........

Okay, I'm old school. It used to be middle linebackers and defensive ends (outside LB's) that stand up and possibly rush. Now days we have linebackers that not only do that, but some go into a three or four point stance. Some even replace the "" position, which has middle pass coverage. I call that a "nickel back". I'm so confused.........Help me out coaches...........

Here's a few to compare. Wasn't Dan Cody, Jimbo Elrod and Gary Baccus more stand up ends than what we do today? I don't remember them being called a linebacker, will or sam.

Oh well, something some of you coaching types can school me on..............

I'm guessing "Sam" is in the middle. I have never seen Dom or Evans called that.... "Will" could be anything, including Will Johnson, a nickel back.

Something to discuss.........
Will is weak side, Sam is strong side. Mike is middle.

Reactions: JConXtsy

Thanks fitty, I get it now. I guess I just have a hard time with stand up defensive ends and linebackers now days....Oh well, getting old....

And this is for you 22....HA!

30a3034ec71b44b679e410b51a22463c7d33191f010d6a2836bbcff3aa613bf5.jpg

Reactions: JConXtsy
The high school team that I am the defensive coordinator for runs a 3-4 defense. Our sam linebacker goes to the call side. We call our front to the two receiver side, but we can flip our front as well and set it away from the two receiver side. Our mike backer goes call side, and our will linebacker also lines up over the guards and goes away from the call. Our defense actually looks very similar to the old 5-2 defense that OU used when the King was OUr head coach. We will use our sam in coverage as well as bring him off the edge. The buck linebacker for us always goes away from the call.

In a 4-3 defense the sam backer will go to the strong side.

It all depends on the scheme that you are running. Hope this helps a little bit.

Thanks fitty, I get it now. I guess I just have a hard time with stand up defensive ends and linebackers now days....Oh well, getting old....

And this is for you 22....HA!

30a3034ec71b44b679e410b51a22463c7d33191f010d6a2836bbcff3aa613bf5.jpg
Yep, Dan Cody, being fleet of foot played that 'spinner' stand up DE.
The strategy was he could scoot around the o lineman on blitz packages.
He was good at it if you recall.

The high school team that I am the defensive coordinator for runs a 3-4 defense. Our sam linebacker goes to the call side. We call our front to the two receiver side, but we can flip our front as well and set it away from the two receiver side. Our mike backer goes call side, and our will linebacker also lines up over the guards and goes away from the call. Our defense actually looks very similar to the old 5-2 defense that OU used when the King was OUr head coach. We will use our sam in coverage as well as bring him off the edge. The buck linebacker for us always goes away from the call.

In a 4-3 defense the sam backer will go to the strong side.

It all depends on the scheme that you are running. Hope this helps a little bit.

Nice.

We occasionally line up in a 4-3. When we do, Will and Sam are both on the LOS and Sam is on the strong side. But when we have an Okie look, with two inside linebackers, then W and M are them and S is on the strong side on the LOS.Sometimes if the H or slot goes in motion, S will move with him. And sometimes he won't. So then the strong safety has to move up for run support on the strong side.

Depends on the defensive play call.

They replaced "weak side, strong side, and middle" with these new terms because players were becoming upset with the terminology, thinking it said something about their prowess.

No, seriously.

They replaced "weak side, strong side, and middle" with these new terms because players were becoming upset with the terminology, thinking it said something about their prowess.

No, seriously.

They call them Will, Mike and Sam for two reasons. One is because it's easier to pronounce one syllable on the field.

But it's also because the Mike doesn't always line up in the middle. The Will isn't always on the weak side and the Sam isn't always on the strong side. So calling them Will, Mike and Sam just makes communicating more efficient.

And in OUr case, the Sam is not much more than a strong safety who lines up a lot on the LOS. So when you call the strong safety, the strong safety, you don't miscommunicate that you might be saying strong side backer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT