ADVERTISEMENT

What to see/do in Ames

BBOLD17

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2018
I'm driving to Ames on Thursday for the first time. Any recommendations for sports bars, tailgating, good eats/drinks, or anything else that is a must see? There is an Oktoberfest celebration in midtown after the game I thought I may check out.

Reactions: iasooner1
I'm driving to Ames on Thursday for the first time. Any recommendations for sports bars, tailgating, good eats/drinks, or anything else that is a must see? There is an Oktoberfest celebration in midtown after the game I thought I may check out.
Honestly if you can swing it, try to stay in Des Moines instead of Ames. WAAAAYYY more to do. Ames is just a small college town. I'm sure you can find a bar or two to hang at, but Des Moines will give you a ton more options.

It's been a few years now, but iasooner and I met up for a game in Ames. What was that BBQ spot we went to?

Honestly if you can swing it, try to stay in Des Moines instead of Ames. WAAAAYYY more to do. Ames is just a small college town. I'm sure you can find a bar or two to hang at, but Des Moines will give you a ton more options.

Thanks for the advice. We thought about staying in Des Moines but got an Air BNB in Ames to be close to the stadium. We are looking for their version of campus corner.

It's been a few years now, but iasooner and I met up for a game in Ames. What was that BBQ spot we went to?

Yeah Hickory Park; not bad considering it's not KC. *******Note: Sweet Corn is rocking good and super inexpensive as harvest season is approaching plus tickets are sub $35.00 & plentiful as of Wed afternoon.

Last edited:
Hickory Park on Duff Ave.
About 5 miles west of 35 on IAHwy 30 & 3 blocks North on Duff or so...
I hope to have a celebratory meal there by about 14:00 tomorrow

If any of y'all are there, I'll be there with my Son that WNaS & his son met, and his beautiful new wife. Look for a Bah Humbug white tee and shake my hand (dang morning games anyway!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rush2112Sooner
Sorry I won’t be there tomorrow. I have a big week ahead up in Twin Cities for work, so got to rest up for that and save up for my big Norman weekend in October (KState game) Root the crew on for me !!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT