ADVERTISEMENT

what do you think of Clemson's quarterback?

So you're taking the under? I'll be shocked if there are fewer than at least five scores in the first half. Now that could be field goals. But 7-oh? I'd be really surprised.

North Carolina scored 37 on your defense. If you think OU's O isn't at least that good, you're going to be a lot more surprised than that.

Last edited:
I know we are , now all u have to is go and win the game .. That is when the clock has all zeros , yal have more points than we do beside our names.That has been your problem , you haven't done that . In fact if we would have punted on first down every possession after the first play from scrimmage, guess what , we would have still won 7-6...
I am actually OK with punts in this game. OU has given up 7 punt return yards this year.....total.

Reactions: LongTimeSooner
If the game is close in the 4th quarter you guys will find out how good he is. We know him as the franchise. I expect a close game but in the end we are 13-0 for a reason. This year we pull them out at the end. He will also get you for a few deep balls. If our oc did not focus so much on the run he would pass for 500 yards every game.

Your QB is excellent though and I am sure he will make lots of plays. Would like to see cbv have a dedicated spy on him to try and check his running.

Maybe he will be off his game with how he almost won the Heisman crown. I guess we will see with our own eyes. Being the best offensive player on the team, should help our defensive.

Here is my thing; Mayfield and Oklahoma played against FIVE teams ranked 100+ in total defense. They played the toughest part of their schedule against teams having to play their 2nd team quarterbacks. The BIG12 is the WORST power five conference in regards to defense. For those of you that said we didnt play anybody, we played a LOT tougher defenses than Oklahoma, beat 3 CURRENT TOP 10 teams. For whatever reason, the media in all its glory has convinced the committee that Bama and Oklahoma are the two best teams, so they moved MSU, a whopping 3 point victor of Iowa to 3rd and dropped Oklahoma to 4th so they wouldnt have to face Bama. Its ok, the best team will win on New Years Eve. Gonna put on my orange shaded glasses and say 41-30 Clemson. I just dont think yall stop us as much as we stop you. JMHO.

Here is my thing; Mayfield and Oklahoma played against FIVE teams ranked 100+ in total defense. They played the toughest part of their schedule against teams having to play their 2nd team quarterbacks. The BIG12 is the WORST power five conference in regards to defense. For those of you that said we didnt play anybody, we played a LOT tougher defenses than Oklahoma, beat 3 CURRENT TOP 10 teams. For whatever reason, the media in all its glory has convinced the committee that Bama and Oklahoma are the two best teams, so they moved MSU, a whopping 3 point victor of Iowa to 3rd and dropped Oklahoma to 4th so they wouldnt have to face Bama. Its ok, the best team will win on New Years Eve. Gonna put on my orange shaded glasses and say 41-30 Clemson. I just dont think yall stop us as much as we stop you. JMHO.

Well, FWIW we're putting a lot of our faith in the intangibles.
Desire, want to...an unquenchable quest to win...

Factor all that in and uh...that's a tough nut to crack.

We'll see, I'm nothing if not confident we'll prevail...like I've said, we've been here before, many times.
It's not our first rodeo on the big stage like this.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Stat rankings for total offense and defense are stupid.

Brent Venables couldn't coach a defense to catch a box of hungry and tired kittens in the Big XII, but he's the world's best at Clemson.
Gary Patterson was arguably the greatest defensive coach in the country before joining the Big XII. Now his team is as porous as a year old sponge.

My point is, good offenses will make any defenses look pedestrian and good defenses will make most offenses look pedestrian. You can't compare numbers between teams that had different competition.

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
Stat rankings for total offense and defense are stupid.

Brent Venables couldn't coach a defense to catch a box of hungry and tired kittens in the Big XII, but he's the world's best at Clemson.
Gary Patterson was arguably the greatest defensive coach in the country before joining the Big XII. Now his team is as porous as a year old sponge.

My point is, good offenses will make any defenses look pedestrian and good defenses will make most offenses look pedestrian. You can't compare numbers between teams that had different competition.
Just curious.... what was your offense rated last year before your bowl game against Clemson? Do you remember?

Oh, you mean the D that everyone made look inept last year? And the D that no one has made look inept this year?

We had a nickel playing CB. We had a true freshman playing safety. We had Striker playing the wrong position. There's way too much difference between last year's defense and this year's defense besides names to even entertain such a comparison.
Does OU have a top 10 defense?

Well I think if you go by stats only, then I agree. But don'be confused. The Big 12 plays in a wide open offense conference. It's completely different offenses that most teams play. So naturally compared to other teams in other conferences, the stats will be skewed. OU is used to playing high powered offenses, I don't see that in the offenses of other leagues and including the ACC. Your Tigers haven't seen much of what OU will show them.

Now would be a good time to talk , yal always have trouble once the game starts..That is when you play Clemson . What was the score at halftime, nobody on here got the guts to say it ..

Last year's numbers and games don't count this season & game. Keep thinking this though and your NYE will suck the stripes off a Tiger. ;)

I haven't read the posts on this thread.

But to answer the OP question: the Clemson QB is dang good. I fear him.

I have no idea who will win I just hope OU is victorious!!!!!

Karma for what? Taking our foot off the gas in the second half so the score wouldn't be uglier than it was? Maybe good Karma for being nice guys and not running it up?? ;)
We Sooners, the GOOD, must cast out the east coast evil, YOU.....in order to bring balance among mankind. Besides, all Sooner fans loathe any shade of orange :D

We Sooners, the GOOD, must cast out the east coast evil, YOU.....in order to bring balance among mankind. Besides, all Sooner fans loathe any shade of orange :D

Well we kinda like the Orange Bowl. Through the years, OU has done well. But your right, I won't even rent U-Hauls because they're Orange!

Oklahoma fans just refer to them as clemsux. Of course they will go off a south Carolina posted on here good luck. We have beat them 5 of the last 7 years. Took them to the wire with a 3-9 team. Bottom line, Oklahoma is a far superior program to clemsux and South Carolina. They keep talking about last year. Difference is OU is used to playing in huge games often, not the Russell t shirt bowl. For Clempson playing OU in that bowl game was a big deal. I expect you will see a much different OU team in a game of this magnitude. Go Sooners.

Oklahoma fans just refer to them as clemsux. Of course they will go off a south Carolina posted on here good luck. We have beat them 5 of the last 7 years. Took them to the wire with a 3-9 team. Bottom line, Oklahoma is a far superior program to clemsux and South Carolina. They keep talking about last year. Difference is OU is used to playing in huge games often, not the Russell t shirt bowl. For Clempson playing OU in that bowl game was a big deal. I expect you will see a much different OU team in a game of this magnitude. Go Sooners.

Another obsessed Gamecock fan. Clemson must be doing it right because they have you S. Carolina fans squealing like little piggies. Thanks for the post. Sooners will roll.

Last edited:
I think Watson is a freakin stud. He has a command that you see from few freshmen quarterbacks. Might be the only time OU plays this season that we are not better at quarterback.

The difference in the game might be how many plays he makes with his legs. He is a special player. The factor in the good guys favor is that he is a freshman, and with a month to prepare Mike will have a bunch of exotic pressures, to challenge him mentally.
I know he has played in a couple of really big games in his life but this one will be the biggest. I believe he will also have a huge asset in that BV knows most of how Mike thinks. It will be an interesting chess game.

I believe that if North Carolina can come within a lousy offsides call of beating these guys, that OU will have a decent chance. I just hope that in the back of their minds that their players have the same attitude as the poster above, thinking that they are facing the same team.

Biggest keys to the game are what 19 and 23 do tackling him when they get there. If they do or do not get him down. He is a big strong guy. I figure Eric might have a little chip on his shoulder, given his omission from at least one all America team.

How well we tackle him behind the los will be the diifference in the game.
This is a good analysis of the match-up, but you have one inaccuracy, Watson is a sophomore.

But then it's a their 1st vs our 2nd scenario which you're trying to rule out. I think TCU and Boykin < OU and Mayfield.

And, of course Deshaun is better than average at best. He's really good with a huge upside. Do I think he's such a unique talent that he can win a NC as a freshman? Nope. He may be a VY prototype, but he's a VY fresh/soph prototype. He's not VY junior.
Watson is a sophomore, not a freshman.

What is a silly Coot doing on this board?

I don't guess no body in all of sooner land knows how yall lost last year .,. I bet the players
know what happened ., I know the Tigers remember how they did it ., warm up your
kicker you might get close ,.,

I don't guess no body in all of sooner land knows how yall lost last year .,. I bet the players
know what happened ., I know the Tigers remember how they did it ., warm up your

Ya reckon?

I don't understand your confidence. Louisville, Syracuse, South Carolina, UNC.

Man, we've got three weeks of yous guys coming here and flapping those lips?

It's OK, we've been through way worse.
You guys are rank amateurs.

Some or most of these guys are probably SC fans sitting in moms basement. Real Clemson fans know we are in for a hell of a fight and last year was last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT