ADVERTISEMENT

What do you guy's think about playing on New Years Eve?

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
I'm talking the first round to the NC. I was watching ESPN earlier and they are getting a lot of flack for playing these games the day before the holiday It sounded like ESPN had the final say on the time and days. I guess some people have to work and some would rather party. To me it doesn't make a difference.

I'm talking the first round to the NC. I was watching ESPN earlier and they are getting a lot of flack for playing these games the day before the holiday It sounded like ESPN had the final say on the time and days. I guess some people have to work and some would rather party. To me it doesn't make a difference.

Well, the poor bastids are just going to have to employ the SSF methodology for getting days off.
Go to HR, and slip the right person a fifty dollar bill.
Works every time.:D

Don't try to cheap out either, 50 is the minimum these days.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Bowl ratings have plummeted with the CFP, so they are trying to help all these bowls that will air NYD.

Well, the poor bastids are just going to have to employ the SSF methodology for getting days off.
Go to HR, and slip the right person a fifty dollar bill.
Works every time.:D

Don't try to cheap out either, 50 is the minimum these days.

Or just watch it online! Find someone that you know and who likes you (yes, I know for some of you that can be difficult) that still has cable and use their login to watch it online. Then you can "work" and watch the game! hehe

I think all four teams in this thing all have a great chance to be a national champ. They all have that as a possibility. So playing on the 31st rather than the 1st or 2nd means that they get a needed extra day, if they win game one to get ready for the trip to Glendale. I think you have a wholistic view of the whole thing. Before game one, you can't wait to get there. So playing on Thursday in the middle of the holiday from school is great. You'll have to likely get to Glendale on your own on Christmas night, and the coaches will have to get some work in, before they take a day or two off for Christmas. But they'll get it worked out.

With teams that have key guys trying to recover from injury, they'd like to have as much time as possible. But like Bob says, he doesn't care what the specifics are, so long as everybody knows in advance what they face. I don't know the quiet dates in recruiting, but I suspect recruits will be welcome to come visit during in school practices before the break. This is the longest possible week for that, since Christmas comes on a Thursday. That means almost every recruit will finish the first semester on the 19th. And I suspect the guys will be practicing til at least the following Tuesday. So all kinds or opportunities.

All this to say that I think the players will love it if they win two, even if they play the game in Moscow on Christmas Day.

I like it. Every NYE party will be discussing the outcome of the two games. In addition, the pundits will have a field day of coverage on New Year's Day.

Reactions: AbsoluteZer0
I like it. Every NYE party will be discussing the outcome of the two games. In addition, the pundits will have a field day of coverage on New Year's Day.
I like the late afternoon (4 pm EST) start. What concerns me is the month-long layoff. Some teams handle it okay, but some lose their momentum.....just ask the 1977 Sooners.

Last edited:
I like the late afternoon (4 pm EST) start. What concerns me is the month-long layoff. Some teams handle it okay, but some lose their momentum.

I couldn't agree more. We are talked about as the hottest team coming into the playoffs but that long of a layoff can take the fire right out of things. I really hope every day it's drilled into the heads of the players that you must be hungry and have that drive. It will absolutely destroy you to waltz into the place like you were made to be there.

You have to have the mindset that you have to prove you belong. No one believes in you, you earn a place in history. It isn't given to the weak.

History is lined with the corpses of the weak who thought they deserved a place in history and history is written by those that took what they wanted. Be the sheep or the wolf, but history is written by the wolf and mourned by the sheep.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT