ADVERTISEMENT

Westbrooke takes a helmet........

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
I ran across this short video on another site and thought I would share. I personally think a large percentage of helmet to helmet is caused by the defender already in attack mode, can't adjust and the offensive player bending down or falling. That's not the case in this one. View and discuss?

Edit, bare with me as I try to find a video that works. If anyone else has one, please post....

Last edited:
Unbelievable no call. Cpuldn't believe it was flagged for targeting and an ejection.

They need to throw the flag on these close plays if they really want to protect the player. The replay will review it to see if it's justified. I saw a couple of overturns last year, but the penalty stood. That is a stupid rule if it's still in effect.

BTW, Sorry for adding an 'e" to Dede Westbrooks last name in the topic. I couldn't edit.

They need to throw the flag on these close plays if they really want to protect the player. The replay will review it to see if it's justified. I saw a couple of overturns last year, but the penalty stood. That is a stupid rule if it's still in effect.

BTW, Sorry for adding an 'e" to Dede Westbrooks last name in the topic. I couldn't edit.
It's no longer in effect, which, considering the severity of the penalty, is now all the more reason to flag it & look at the replay. They've now got a clear path to get it totally right, & flat blew it Saturday.

Joseph has a reputation as a hard hitter, which probably means he gets away with more cheap shots than anyone. Helmet to head contact with him leading with his head (as Westbrook was going out of bounds) should have been targeting with ejection. But as we see every weekend with Big 12 Refs, they are by and large missing a lot of things. Something tells me that Joseph will continue this "play" as he gets away with it down the line.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Someone help me out here. College football (and all sports for that matter) occupies less than 0.3% of my life so I'm not in-the-know about a lot of things. What are those iPhone-looking things the WV players are wearing? iPhones? Are they connected via WiFi to the sidelines?

Last edited:
Remember when they threw a flag on Westbrook for a personal foul, I am almost positive it was when Westbrook blindsided Joseph.

I ran across this short video on another site and thought I would share. I personally think a large percentage of helmet to helmet is caused by the defender already in attack mode, can't adjust and the offensive player bending down or falling. That's not the case in this one. View and discuss?

Edit, bare with me as I try to find a video that works. If anyone else has one, please post....

I dont' get it. The refs threw 23 flags in the OU-WVU game, but they didn't call this very blatant foul. How can they not throw the flag when Joseph was clearly targeting a defenseless player by leading with the crown of his helmet into the Westbrook's neck and head?

was my opinion watching it live. I can't believe that the broadcasters didn't make much out of it other than a hard hit. It was definitely too high!...and really for a guy that is known for being that physical, he probably should be watched a little more.

Someone help me out here. College football (and all sports for that matter) occupies less than 0.3% of my life so I'm not in-the-know about a lot of things. What are those iPhone-looking things the WV players are wearing? iPhones? Are they connected via WiFi to the sidelines?
I never noticed them, but that is an excellent question.
Are those devices for communication?

I dont' get it. The refs threw 23 flags in the OU-WVU game, but they didn't call this very blatant foul. How can they not throw the flag when Joseph was clearly targeting a defenseless player by leading with the crown of his helmet into the Westbrook's neck and head?
I have a problem with them not calling it a foul and then review it to see if it was/wasn't or decide if a player ejection and penalty was warranted.

Yeah, it's kinda like being politically correct. In some ways, I feel instant replay has allowed the referee to feel less pressured to make the correct call. I was an official for about 10 years and never felt I could call games half assed simply because replay would correct my mistake. It's an attitude being an ump or ref.

I have a problem with them not calling it a foul and then review it to see if it was/wasn't or decide if a player ejection and penalty was warranted.

I have no problem with the penalty, but agree that the first infraction needs to be reviewed for an ejection. If the same player is called a second time for targeting, in the same game, then a review and an ejection are warranted.

Big 12 Conference came out today and declared the hit to be intentional spearing........or something like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT