ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday Notes...

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
Holy crap, we're here, it feels like we've been sprinting or two and a half weeks to get to this point.

And now that we're here, there are really just a handful of stories to actually watch.

*We'll start with Neto Umeozulu and the talk of him having some cold feet around his Texas decision late last night.

It sounds like he is thinking things over again, which is no surprise as I was told that most schools felt that 'if and when he commits, we want to talk to mom and dad too to make sure everyone is on board'.

Now I was told yesterday from some coaching circles that his runner up was Baylor and Oklahoma was No. 3 for him. That seems odd considering a few who know him well said that Oklahoma was very close and he was in Norman on Saturday.

We'll see if anything comes to it but for now it feels like 'maybe things get interesting' but I'm betting the status quo is maintained.

**A player with a lot longer commitment history is Arlington (Texas) Seguin cornerback Xavion Brice. The long-time Sooner pledge visited Texas and has been seen as a battle between the Red River foes for quite some time now. Speaking to Texas sources there is some confidence in his decision going toward Austin but talking to some players who know him, they remain confident.

As embodied by Robert Spears-Jennings in his tweet earlier Tuesday.

Maybe he's actually that confident, maybe not.

This really feels like a coin flip but at least we'll all know by his 7:00a announcement time tomorrow.

***I know many are excited about the possibility of Jovantae Barnes and the seeming ground swell that the Sooners have made a move here.

Speaking to his coaches at Las Vegas Desert Pines Barnes is electing to not sign in the early period and wait until February. Now, we all know we've heard stuff like this before from a guy who 'wants to announce at an All-American game' and this could be yet another smoke screen but I'm simply reporting what I have as of this moment. And regardless of when he'll sign, Oklahoma seems to be the clear leader as of this moment.

****Alright, now I'll go ahead and run what I've been sitting on for three days and that's the buzz around the water cooler on Hays, Kan. four-star athlete Jaren Kanak.

The long-time Clemson commitment was, not surprisingly, the first name people thought of when Brent Venables took the job in Norman. That assumption came from not only his much greater proximity to Norman than to Clemson but also the fact that Venables was such a massive piece of his recruitment.

But for two weeks we checked around and checked around and nothing seemed to have come from it.

We really had just about given up on it until Saturday evening.

We started hearing word that there were some connections being made between the Sooners and Kanak. So we checked with sources around the Hays program and were told they had been in no contact with Oklahoma.

So, dead end again, right?

Not exactly.

Sunday we checked with another source (and some of this we can further clarify once the dust all clears) and there were a few people under the impression not just that the Sooners had a chance with Kanak but that there was some assumption that it was already certain that he would be signing with the Sooners on Wednesday.

I want to be clear, there is no source that I've gotten this from that I'd call 'normal channels' but I've done enough checking around since Saturday to consider this possibility credible. You add in that Jaren Kanak has some interesting twitter follows including Nick Evers, Jayden Gibson, and Alton Tarber.

Kind of hard to ignore the common ground there.

We're NOT reporting that it's a done deal, we just don't have anything we feel that confident about but there is a mountain of evidence that something has been going on.

We're officially intrigued and I'll keep checking on it once I rise in the morning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.