ADVERTISEMENT

wease

Gabriel could be next depending upon who else enters the portal from the offense. He’s not committing to come back for next year right now.

There should definitely be an incentive to stay at your school. Portal and NIL changed the sport forever. Who's responsible?
Al the people who wanted these kids to get paid are responsible. Sorry I started another thread on Wease as this didnt exist while I was posting it.

Gabriel could be next depending upon who else enters the portal from the offense. He’s not committing to come back for next year right now.
Rumors says Mims is next. I can see Gabriel leaving because the writing is on the wall if Arnold keeps his committment to OU I believe he will start. Gabriel isnt going to want to sit as a backup but if Arnold lives up his billing it will not be a big loss.

Rumors says Mims is next. I can see Gabriel leaving because the writing is on the wall if Arnold keeps his committment to OU I believe he will start. Gabriel isnt going to want to sit as a backup but if Arnold lives up his billing it will not be a big loss.
I really can't imagine any freshman starting in Lebby's offense unless we don't have anybody else.

I'm talking quarterbacks. The offense is complicated and it takes a while to master it. If DG returns, he'd likely start at least the first few games. Everybody seems to think Arnold will start from Day 1. That would really surprise me.
Agree.
And I would be concerned about the QB depth situation if Gabriel does not return because if he left, OU would be walking a real tightrope with just Arnold and 1 or 2 totally unproven players.
If Gabriel stays, it means Arnold can be developed without the pressure.

Agree.
And I would be concerned about the QB depth situation if Gabriel does not return because if he left, OU would be walking a real tightrope with just Arnold and 1 or 2 totally unproven players.
I disagree here because Gabriel may know the offense better but if Jackson is the real deal he will be able to adapt. I know you like Gabriel but he is far from a difference maker as those guys are few and far in between. OU had those in the past with Baker and Murray just to name a couple. OU had some in the 60s, 70s and 80s and just look at USC how a QB like Williams ( yes he made a huge difference for OU also as a freshman) can be a difference maker.

Gabriel isnt that guy. I would prefer to see them let Jackson have a shot at being that difference maker even with the growing pains that may come with it. JMO of course as the coaches know a hell of a lot me than I do.

Lebby's offense is not that complicated. 90% of the qbs in Texas already run the spread offense. Lebby's offense is qb friendly, pretty much has one read. Riley's playbook was much more complicated, and Williams a true freshman ran it last year.
If Arnold is on campus this spring he would be ready by fall.

I'm talking quarterbacks. The offense is complicated and it takes a while to master it. If DG returns, he'd likely start at least the first few games. Everybody seems to think Arnold will start from Day 1. That would really surprise me.

If Gabriel returns, and he should, he very well could pop in 2023. Consistency is an issue for him but I think an off-season without uncertainty and turmoil might be the ticket. Arnold could develop behind DG, get some meaningful snaps, and if he's what he appears, continue to push Gabriel. A little competition will only help.

Just please no Davis Beville. No offense to the kid but a 6'6" statue isn't the guy for a spread RPO.

Go watch Trevor Ham Hudl film he's from Melissa tx. This is Lebby's offense. This kid moved in during the summer and had zero problems picking up the offense. I'm not worried about a true freshman playing now. Bv has seen two freshman play their first year at Clemson, I'm sure he's had conversations with Dabo on how to handle it

Now Wease is saying that he hasn’t made up his mind whether or not to play in the bowl game. He’s basically just checking it out and may not transfer. This is what drives me crazy about the portal rules. If a player enters the portal he shouldn’t have the option to come back unless invited by the head coach. Or is that the rule already?

I disagree here because Gabriel may know the offense better but if Jackson is the real deal he will be able to adapt. I know you like Gabriel but he is far from a difference maker as those guys are few and far in between. OU had those in the past with Baker and Murray just to name a couple. OU had some in the 60s, 70s and 80s and just look at USC how a QB like Williams ( yes he made a huge difference for OU also as a freshman) can be a difference maker.

Gabriel isnt that guy. I would prefer to see them let Jackson have a shot at being that difference maker even with the growing pains that may come with it. JMO of course as the coaches know a hell of a lot me than I do.
It has nothing to do with whether I "like" Gabriel.
It has to do with having TWO quarterbacks that are capable rather than 3 totally unproven quarterbacks that right now are just names on the roster backing up Arnold (if Gabriel leaves).
Why would you not want a QB who threw for 2,925 yards, 24 TD's, only 6 picks and a 63% completion rate at least backing up or splitting time with a freshman quarterback?
And if you have followed OU football, you know that the efforts of Mayfield, Murray, Hurts and Caleb Williams were somewhat wasted as far as running the table each year by a poor defense. These 4 were OU's best QB's ever if you consider their physical all-around skills.... running and passing. Since I started watching OU in the late 50's I have not seen these skills present in Jimmy Harris, Bob Warmack, Jack Mildren, JC Watts, Josh Heupel, Jason White or Sam Bradford, but those guys had teams that played defense, so gaudy stats were not that necessary.

Now Wease is saying that he hasn’t made up his mind whether or not to play in the bowl game. He’s basically just checking it out and may not transfer. This is what drives me crazy about the portal rules. If a player enters the portal he shouldn’t have the option to come back unless invited by the head coach. Or is that the rule already?

Yeah I think Oklahoma has the option to rescind his scholarship.

Reactions: iasooner2000
It has to do with having TWO quarterbacks that are capable rather than 3 totally unproven quarterbacks that right now are just names on the roster backing up Arnold (if Gabriel leaves).
Why would you not want a QB who threw for 2,925 yards, 24 TD's, only 6 picks and a 63% completion rate at least backing up or splitting time with a freshman quarterback?
And if you have followed OU football, you know that the efforts of Mayfield, Murray, Hurts and Caleb Williams were somewhat wasted as far as running the table each year by a poor defense. These 4 were OU's best QB's ever if you consider their physical all-around skills.... running and passing. Since I started watching OU in the late 50's I have not seen these skills present in Jimmy Harris, Bob Warmack, Jack Mildren, JC Watts, Josh Heupel, Jason White or Sam Bradford, but those guys had teams that played defense, so gaudy stats were not that necessary.
Just doesn’t make much sense for Dillion to transfer again given that he was the starter this year playing for his old OC who will be calling plays for him again in 2023. Unless he sees Arnold coming in and becoming ready to take over like Williams did Rattler.

Reactions: iasooner2000
My time watching OU FB started in the mid 60s so I get what you are saying. No one is arguing Gabriel put up good numbers but he doesnt have that “ It” factor. He may know Lebbys offense better than any other QB on the roster but that doesnt mean he should automatically start again next year if he stays. If Jackson is the better QB and if he is as advertised then let him learn on the fly.

BTW who’s fault is it that OU didnt have a capable backup for Gabriel? We both know the answer to that. In the end I never said I didn’t want Gabriel back but what I did say is I think he would transfer before he would accept becoming a backup. If JA does win the job next year and Gabriel remains then yes thats a big plus.

BV has his work cut out for him with this D no doubt about that. The D as you say has been a big issue for years now.

My time watching OU FB started in the mid 60s so I get what you are saying. No one is arguing Gabriel put up good numbers but he doesnt have that “ It” factor. He may know Lebbys offense better than any other QB on the roster but that doesnt mean he should automatically start again next year if he stays. If Jackson is the better QB and if he is as advertised then let him learn on the fly.

BTW who’s fault is it that OU didnt have a capable backup for Gabriel? We both know the answer to that. In the end I never said I didn’t want Gabriel back but what I did say is I think he would transfer before he would accept becoming a backup. If JA does win the job next year and Gabriel remains then yes thats a big plus.

BV has his work cut out for him with this D no doubt about that. The D as you say has been a big issue for years now.
Whose fault is it that there wasn't a capable QB backing up Gabriel? And as for Gabriel, we need to stop comparing him to the 4 who preceded him, who were so much better.
Try this: Williams and Rattler transferred out after last season, Mordecai and Morris transferred out earlier, all 4 during Riley's tenure. That's 4 pretty good quarterbacks, all of whom were gone before Venables coached his first game at OU.
That Beville, Booty, Evers, Rucker and Bowens could not serve as good backups can't be blamed on Venables. He had to take what was available via transfers, what was left on the roster, and Evers.

Last edited:
Whose fault is it that there wasn't a capable QB backing up Gabriel? And as for Gabriel, we need to stop comparing him to the 4 who preceded him, who were so much better.
Try this: Williams and Rattler transferred out after last season, Mordecai and Morris transferred out earlier, all 4 during Riley's tenure. That's 4 pretty good quarterbacks, all of whom were gone before Venables coached his first game at OU.
That Beville, Booty, Evers, Rucker and Bowens could not serve as good backups can't be blamed on Venables. He had to take what was available via transfers, what was left on the roster, and Evers.
Yet OU evidently never gave Evers much development from what we saw this year. Evers was brought in with some hype based on his 4 star rating and yet the backup was an ex 3rd string QB from Pitt.

Someone ( Lebby) evidently didnt do a very good job in developing any of these guys. That also falls on the man in charge of the team.

Go watch Trevor Ham Hudl film he's from Melissa tx. This is Lebby's offense. This kid moved in during the summer and had zero problems picking up the offense. I'm not worried about a true freshman playing now. Bv has seen two freshman play their first year at Clemson, I'm sure he's had conversations with Dabo on how to handle it
I thought the tremendous upside with Arnold was that Denton Guyer is running and identical offense scheme as Lebby's at OU. The expected transitions is minimal.

Agree.
Are you suggesting they start Gabriel even if he's not the best QB?

Why should we ever stop comparing our QB's to the last 4, 5, 6, 7, and so on...Why does Gabriel not count? Where would you rank him in the last 20 year's? 1-20

20 years? So post-Heupel? He's in the pack with the worst.

Dillon Gabriel, Paul Thompson (not fair), Trevor Knight, Blake Bell (kinda not fair) and Nate Hybl. There's obviously a lot of argument available between those 5.

Jason White, Rhett Bomar (could have been? flashes), Sam Bradford, Landry Jones, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, Spencer Rattler, and Caleb Williams.

20 years? So post-Heupel? He's in the pack with the worst.

He's not even close to being the worst. Swap out Gabriel for some of those other OU quarterbacks and put them on this year's team and see what type of results you get. Many of them would not put up any better numbers than Gabriel put up with this year's team, and they probably wouldn't have survived without a season ending injury.

Some of you guys can't see the forest for the trees. OU was 17th nationally in total offense this year and 120th in total defense. Therein lies the problem.

Last edited:
He's not even close to being the worst. Swap out Gabriel for some of those other OU quarterbacks and put them on this year's team and see what type of results you get. Many of them would not put up any better numbers than Gabriel put up with this year's team, and they probably wouldn't have survived without a season ending injury.

Some of you guys can't see the forest for the trees. OU was 17th nationally in total offense this year and 120th in total defense. Therein lies the problem.
OK

Year - PPG Ranking - QB
2003 - 4th - BJ Symons
2004 - 8th - Sonny Cumbie
2005 - 4th - Cody Hodges
2008 - 3rd - Graham Harrell
2009 - 7th - Taylor Potts

Some of the best QBs to ever take the field, right? I mean.... stats. :rolleyes:

Plus I think you forgot to hash out these numbers:
Rushing Yds/Play = 11th
Passing Yds/Play = 30th

"Some of you guys can't analyze stats for what their worth." - FTFY

Yeah I think Oklahoma has the option to rescind his scholarship.
Scholarships are still one year commitments.
Schools do not want to get a reputation of being schools that will leave kids hanging from year to year. But, I think they do encourage players to look for better situations, if they do not seem to be players who will play for OU.
Venables has already shown how he stands on players entering the portal.
He had DG on the hook almost as soon as Williams started talking about entering the portal.
Though, in private conversations, he may have already known for sure CW wasn't coming back.
But, schools are not obligated year to year and I believe if anyone announces, they should be considered gone and only allowed to return upon a long conversation with the coaches and are able to convince them to lay the scholarship back out there at the coaches option.

Are you suggesting they start Gabriel even if he's not the best QB?
Relax.... I just believe it would be a good thing to have Gaberiel return to compete for the starting job.
Either way, OU will have a solid depth at QB next year if Gabriel stays and Arnold holds his commitment.

Reactions: Oklabama
Why should we ever stop comparing our QB's to the last 4, 5, 6, 7, and so on...Why does Gabriel not count? Where would you rank him in the last 20 year's? 1-20
Right there with Hybl and Thompson. Gabriel is an average QB who is going to overthrow people fairly often and is not athletic enough to be a difference maker when you need him to be. He might start next season, but that is only because of our current situation. Any other time he would be holding a clip board.

Relax.... I just believe it would be a good thing to have Gaberiel return to compete for the starting job.
Either way, OU will have a solid depth at QB next year if Gabriel stays and Arnold holds his commitment.
😀 I'm pretty relaxed CT, I totally agree. Just don't see Gabriel staying unless he can start.

Reactions: Oklabama
😀 I'm pretty relaxed CT, I totally agree. Just don't see Gabriel staying unless he can start.
I agree. The question is will Gabriel transfer somewhere that pretty much guarantees he will start or take the chance he can be the starter for the entire season at OU if things continue as they were this year. Like the Rattler - Williams scenario. Could be a big risk for Dillion.

I really think any player transferring should have to sit out a season. This is ridiculous
Players should be more concerned about fans than themselves? It is pretty evident by the posts that fans have no loyalty to players. Drop a couple of passes or fumble and it is "get that idiot out of there".

Reactions: CTOkie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT