ADVERTISEMENT

we comin' -- thoughts

Aug 21, 2003
old LSU fan here, liked Bud W

Sat thru the OU-LSU game in Sugar Bowl, didn't like the outcome.

Sat thru the OU-LSU game decades later in SuperDome, LOVED it.

LSU O has been unstoppable. Gonna be tuff for your D.
OTOH Loss of RB, who has been in on 90+% of meaningful plays, might be critical. He is a matchup nightmare, an excellent runner, excellent blocker and excellent receiver. LSU O got slowed by 3-1-7 D, then he ran wild. Might not be the same O w/o him.

LSU D has suddenly become excellent. Suffered from injuries, lotta Fr had to play, got beat. Last 2 games they got healthy and the Fr grew up. Will be quite interesting matchup.
re the D, much was expected. Pre-season DL was rated 3rd best in nation. Of the 51 LBs on the Butkus watch list, 4 were from LSU. DBs were known extreme talent, 4 made All-SEC 1st or 2nd team. They played that good for 1 game, then injuries and sucked. Now playing up to the sum of its parts.

ST is good, FG kicker had problems mid-season, pulled groin muscle, but got it right now. His long from hs was in an All-Star game, 59. In SEC CG he hit 3, including 50 and 51 yds.

What has hurt LSU most is a running QB but DC Aranda can be a beast given 2 wks to prepare.

OU will be the SIXTH Top Ten Team LSU has faced this year. Only 2 have been at home, 1 in ATL. Pressure ain't new to them.

Jeaux Burreaux is a workaholic, pushed teammates to many workouts over the past year. He is now refusing interviews, is not likely to be distracted or let the team get complacent.

My best guess: LSU will single cover OU WRs (maybe help on 1 sometimes) w/ the best pair of Cover Corners in the nation, go after the QB with controlled run-safe pressure, and dare Hurts to beat them with his arm.

:rolleyes:o_O:confused: LSU plays an offense we see all the time. Everybody seems to forget that fact. They play the same type for the first time and they are unbeatable. LOL

Reactions: OUSOONER67
The loss of CEH is a huge loss. 194 carries, 50 catches, 16 TDS... if there was anyone as good they would have been playing already. I think the loss is worth at least 10 points.

Reactions: iasooner1
Don't you just love how LSU fans think their O is some incredibly new and dynamic scheme and they come over here and have the audacity to brag about it? The Big 12 in general and OU in particular have been putting dynamic, creative, multifaceted offenses on the field for the past 20 years. It took a Saint O-coordinator to bring them into the 21st century. If they think the Ole Miss running game was tough to defend wait until they try and stop the best running QB in college football in a Lincoln Riley scheme but with a far better passer at the controls. If we don't turn the ball over this game is going down to the wire.

:rolleyes:o_O:confused: LSU plays an offense we see all the time. Everybody seems to forget that fact. They play the same type for the first time and they are unbeatable. LOL

DIDN'T SAY UNBEATABLE, said "has been unstoppable". Would never say it can't be stopped.

LSU has played FIVE Top Ten teams so far, and 5 of the Top 20 Ds in the nation, and none have been able to stop it. Only AU held them to 23 but LSU had 500+ yds and screwed up against a very good D.

If OU can tackle in space, has really good tackling DBs, things might be different. Here I suspect losing your excellent Safety is your biggest loss going into this game.

The loss of CEH is a huge loss. 194 carries, 50 catches, 16 TDS... if there was anyone as good they would have been playing already. I think the loss is worth at least 10 points.

CEH is an extreme loss altho pictures show him off of crutches today, so who knows if he is a loss?

LSU got the #2 & #6 HS RBs in the nation and tried to work them in; they can run the ball very well but can't come close to being the spectacular do-it-all like CEH.

The bookies would move the line no more than 2 pts for that loss.

Don't you just love how LSU fans think their O is some incredibly new and dynamic scheme and they come over here and have the audacity to brag about it? The Big 12 in general and OU in particular have been putting dynamic, creative, multifaceted offenses on the field for the past 20 years. It took a Saint O-coordinator to bring them into the 21st century. If they think the Ole Miss running game was tough to defend wait until they try and stop the best running QB in college football in a Lincoln Riley scheme but with a far better passer at the controls. If we don't turn the ball over this game is going down to the wire.

LSU O is strong, Kirby Smart said he had never seen anything like it, and he has seen OU. And yes, we know the no-D-big12 runs such Os. LSU is running it with excellent WR talent, the 5th & 6th best WRs have been invited to play in all-star games. The top 3 are projected to be 1st-2nd round picks.

LSU has also seen Hurts a few times, didn't like the outcome but it wasn't because of Hurts.

OM ran up points late, after the game was secured with LSU's injured D stars sitting out and healing. The Fr in the game had no clue re the plays OM ran. Was fixed, Tamu tried it and LSU was healed & ready.

It will be interesting.

OTOH Loss of RB, who has been in on 90+% of meaningful plays, might be critical. He is a matchup nightmare, an excellent runner, excellent blocker and excellent receiver. LSU O got slowed by 3-1-7 D, then he ran wild. Might not be the same O w/o him.

LSU D has suddenly become excellent. Suffered from injuries, lotta Fr had to play, got beat. Last 2 games they got healthy and the Fr grew up. Will be quite interesting matchup.
re the D, much was expected. Pre-season DL was rated 3rd best in nation. Of the 51 LBs on the Butkus watch list, 4 were from LSU. DBs were known extreme talent, 4 made All-SEC 1st or 2nd team. They played that good for 1 game, then injuries and sucked. Now playing up to the sum of its parts.

ST is good, FG kicker had problems mid-season, pulled groin muscle, but got it right now. His long from hs was in an All-Star game, 59. In SEC CG he hit 3, including 50 and 51 yds.

What has hurt LSU most is a running QB but DC Aranda can be a beast given 2 wks to prepare.

OU will be the SIXTH Top Ten Team LSU has faced this year. Only 2 have been at home, 1 in ATL. Pressure ain't new to them.

Jeaux Burreaux is a workaholic, pushed teammates to many workouts over the past year. He is now refusing interviews, is not likely to be distracted or let the team get complacent.

My best guess: LSU will single cover OU WRs (maybe help on 1 sometimes) w/ the best pair of Cover Corners in the nation, go after the QB with controlled run-safe pressure, and dare Hurts to beat them with his arm.
Single coverage on CeeDee is not a good idea but I truly encourage it.

This isn’t a knock on Jalen and I know OU’s scheme is different from Bama, but Aranda called great games against Jalen in the past. I think he’s a better qb now then at Bama so it will be a tougher matchup. LSU defense is finally playing like what we expected. I think a lot of it was scheme. For some reason Aranda was playing zone with lock down corners. Now we play over 90% in man and blitz way more than we did early in the season. IMO LSU will win by 10, but it will be down to the wire until late when LSU pulls away. I don’t think this game will be a cakewalk at all. OU is a worthy opponent and I’m excited to see good football this weekend.

Single coverage on CeeDee is not a good idea but I truly encourage it.

They won’t hesitate to put our true freshman Stingley on him. Lamb will win some battles, but Stingley is a gamer and the best DB talent we’ve had since honey badger as far as instincts.

They won’t hesitate to put our true freshman Stingley on him. Lamb will win some battles, but Stingley is a gamer and the best DB talent we’ve had since honey badger as far as instincts.
Don't disagree, looking forward to that matchup. Could end up being what determines the outcome.

LSU O is strong, Kirby Smart said he had never seen anything like it, and he has seen OU. And yes, we know the no-D-big12 runs such Os. LSU is running it with excellent WR talent, the 5th & 6th best WRs have been invited to play in all-star games. The top 3 are projected to be 1st-2nd round picks.

LSU has also seen Hurts a few times, didn't like the outcome but it wasn't because of Hurts.

OM ran up points late, after the game was secured with LSU's injured D stars sitting out and healing. The Fr in the game had no clue re the plays OM ran. Was fixed, Tamu tried it and LSU was healed & ready.

It will be interesting.

we’ll soon find out. But if my defense, the stoutest in the SEC was pushed around and thoroughly beaten Id probably state that the offense that just handed me my ass in gift wrap was all world too.

Please note what I said: "My best guess: LSU will single cover OU WRs (maybe help on 1 sometimes)"

That was referring to CeeDee.
Yes, and I'm sure LR will be paying attention to those "sometimes" when they are not.

Don't disagree, looking forward to that matchup. Could end up being what determines the outcome.

Before the season I predicted Stingley would be 3 time AA and first player taken in the 2022 Draft.

So far he did make 1st team AA, rare for a true Fr CB. No reason the rest of my predictions won't happen.

Sting got to star because the other corner was #3 DB on the mock draft, a known quantity, opponents stayed away from him.

#1 on the board was Delpit, SS and winner of Thorp Award this year altho he was hurt. is now healthy. Expect him to help on CD.

LSU D will not line up per WR; if CeeDee moves from one side to the other, the other CB will cover him.

Before the season I predicted Stingley would be 3 time AA and first player taken in the 2022 Draft.

So far he did make 1st team AA, rare for a true Fr CB. No reason the rest of my predictions won't happen.

Sting got to star because the other corner was #3 DB on the mock draft, a known quantity, opponents stayed away from him.

#1 on the board was Delpit, SS and winner of Thorp Award this year altho he was hurt. is now healthy. Expect him to help on CD.

LSU D will not line up per WR; if CeeDee moves from one side to the other, the other CB will cover him.
That chess match will be fun to watch. My biggest concern is our strategy against Burrow; how that goes could eliminate any offensive gamesmanship.

That chess match will be fun to watch. My biggest concern is our strategy against Burrow; how that goes could eliminate any offensive gamesmanship.

to stop Burrow need guys who can tackle in space, stop the WRs, TE and RB when they catch short. Loss of excellent Safety might be huge here.

I'll just say this: the #1 rated college football program in the modern era; 7 NC's, 7 HT winners, 50 conference championships, and the longest winning streak in college football history, just to name a few of our many credits, will show up in the ATL.

LSU's D late in the season gave up 600 yards of offense to an extremely weak Ole Miss team who had Eight losses in 2019.

OU 's QB had 1300 yards rushing. Jalen Hurts had 51 TDS rushing & passing in 2019.

OU has the best offense head coach in the nation. LINCOLN RILEY is VERY INNOVATIVE.

This game will be Jalen Hurts's FOURTH Final Four with National Championships at Alabama & this is Lincoln Riley's FOURTH also.. LSU Has NEVER been in the final four format. This is very important.

OU is very deep at WR including 3 FIVE STAR freshmen and
has CeeDee Lamp who many think is the best WR in the nation.
OU has dependable seniors at WR also.

I also should also mention OU's FG kicker is PERFECT this season 14 out of 14 FGs including a 50 yarder and he is also perfect on extra points.

BTW what is the name of LSU's injured RB? What is his injury?

I truly believe OU wins.

Last edited:
LSU's D late in the season gave up 600 yards of offense to an extremely weak Ole Miss team who had Eight losses in 2019.

BTW what is the name of LSU's injured RB? What is his injury?

LSU Def was injured, rested the starters in the OM game. The game was out of hand when they got the yards/points. After the starters got well, 2 weeks later, the LSU D became the D we thought it would. They are very good now, shut down Tamu and UGA. Yes we know OU will be a different animal.

T'was interesting that the press jumped on LSU re the OM game while giving tOSU a pass. That Sat tOSU was favored by ~55 and won by ~35, 20 pts below expectation. Meanwhile LSU was favored at OM by 20.5 and won by 21. Because of that weekend tOSU moved ahead of LSU.

LSU moved back ahead of tOSU due to 2 excellent D performances, the games weren't as close as the scores.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire has a pulled hamstring, was on crutches Tues. He runs strong, is an excellent blocker esp picking up blitzes and can run any route. He and QB have telepathy, he gets free and gets the ball. Altho he looked good walking today it is unlikely he plays which would be a huge loss for LSU as the 2 heralded Fr haven't done squat yet.

Sounds like OU should just forfeit and save the cost of sending the team to Atlanta! ;)

LSU hasn't seen an offense like this. Alabama would be the closest.

OU sees this type of offense week in and week out, so nothing new.

Common opponent....both teams be texas by a touchdown. LSU game went to the wire, the only reason it was 7 against OU was turnovers.

I like OU's chances this Saturday!

Common opponent....both teams be texas by a touchdown. LSU game went to the wire, the only reason it was 7 against OU was turnovers.

UTx scored w/ 23" remaining to get w/in one score, didn't get the ball back.

As in the other 2 games LSU won by one score, the opponent scored a TD late but never got the ball back w/ a chance to tie or win.

.....and they are coming out of the woodwork. Keep touting that O that Kirby hasn’t ever seen before. It’s the norm in the Big 12. LSU has 2 loses this year playing in this conference.
What two teams would beat LSU in the big 12? I'm dying to know.

None, no team can beat LSU. They went undefeated in the SEC and beat Alabama and along the way something like 4 or 5 top ten teams. Their defense continues to be unstoppable and now they have an offense to go with it. That is why I am so confident they will be the first top seed to win the CFP.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
Why is it so f'ckin difficult for some people to type complete sentences? Good grief, are you using a telegraph?

In the Big 12 everybody plays everybody. Ask Jalen, it is a very tough league. Iowa State, Kansas State, Baylor, Okie State would give you a game, especially at their place. And don't forget lowly Texas. They hung with you. A few plays one way or another and it could have been a different outcome. I have to give you credit though. At least you didn't schedule a late season pansy like Alabama.

It will be interesting.
Well now wait a minute here. I thought that the spread would be shut down in the SECSEC? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't LSU scoring in the 40's or 50's each game? How can this be? Chucklz. Are you saying LSU's offense it light years ahead of everyone else and is introducing new concepts unknown to the college football world?

Face it, the SEC defenses are getting ate up defensing the pass as much as anyone. Long gone are the days of 6-3 SEC slugfests also know as boring ass football. I actually think it's comical seeing all of the passing records being broken regularly in the SEC now..It's awfully funny that OU lit up Georgia and Alabama with our offense. I do however think that Burrow is a legit qb.

Yes Burrow is a great player and he has very good to great targets. But he can’t burn us bad if he’s on the sidelines watching our methodical drives or on his back. This game should be reasonably close. I don’t see a LSU blow out. They are playing the number one offense and one that is way more complex than the SEC is by far and away. Bama would have been far better if Tua was not gimpy.

"They are very good now, shut down Tamu and UGA. Yes we know OU will be a different animal."

Aggie & Georgia each are a very very bad offensive team. I fully recognize thst the LSU offense is good & that SEC temas are not used to. In fact, the only time they see an offense that SEC teams have witnessed that can match this type of scoring is that of OU. So IMO, shutting down 2 SEC teams that struggle offensively should not a big deal. It should be expected. Although I can see where the players and especially the fans can get excited.

Single coverage by LSU and Sooners win going away..... I Sincerely doubt they run man to man much....would be suicide....

Single coverage by LSU and Sooners win going away..... I Sincerely doubt they run man to man much....would be suicide....

Will be interesting. LSU will certainly run some or plenty man but of course not all.

LSU DBs are extreme:

SS Delpit won Thorpe, top DB in nation.
CB Stigley is 1st team AA, rare for a true Fr.
CB Fullton was pre-season AA but didn't get the plays, opponents tried to pick on Stingley and he got the accolades, but he is still projected as a 1st Rd draft choice.
FS Stevens was 2nd team All-SEC.
NB Vincent runs a 10.07, has come on lately.

Some Fr finally grew up and will get some pt.

Expect a mix of man, zone, cover 1, cover 2, etc

And expect much heat from LBs, SS, FS, from wherever.

LSU coaches know they are facing a great O, and know that playing any one D would be suicide against LR.

LSU D won't shut OU down but only have to slow them down enuf for LSU O to outscore them.

Reactions: lsuson
I'm thinking Texas was the 5th or 6th best team in OUr conference. They played a one score game without any healthy backup at running back and a smurf for a starter cause everybody else was hurt. And 3/4 of their secondary hurt in the game against LSU.

Baylor trounced the Horns. TCU didn't even make a bowl game, but they beat Texas.

I know that LSU is the SEC gift to the playoffs, but we'll suit out. We be coming.

Good luck. You'll need it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT