ADVERTISEMENT

We are now less than two weeks away from the opener. Re: QB

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
The staff is going to have to name a number one in the next couple of days. They will be doing game plan preparation starting pretty early this week, and that in the past has always meant having the starting quarterback determined.

Most years, it's a pretty obvious decision. This year, that has changed. But somebody is going to be taking the first team reps. Evaluation time is close to over.

I suspect it will be Baker, but we'll see. It will also be interesting to see whether the decision will be made public, or if they'll do it the way they did for the Sugar Bowl, and we find out when the broadcast starts.

I'm with you Plaino, I think it will be Baker. Reading all the practice reports, Baker does seem to have an edge coming down to the wire here. I was hoping CT could make a push and get the nod, but it really sounds as if he is clearly behind Baker and Trevor. I think Bob would make it a public announcement. Not like OU should need any secrecy or such to catch Akron off guard to guarantee a win like we did keeping Alabama in the dark prior to the Sugar Bowl.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
The staff is going to have to name a number one in the next couple of days. They will be doing game plan preparation starting pretty early this week, and that in the past has always meant having the starting quarterback determined.

Most years, it's a pretty obvious decision. This year, that has changed. But somebody is going to be taking the first team reps. Evaluation time is close to over.

I suspect it will be Baker, but we'll see. It will also be interesting to see whether the decision will be made public, or if they'll do it the way they did for the Sugar Bowl, and we find out when the broadcast starts.

Won't it leak? There is one free site giving pretty much daily reports on Q-B reps, etc. My guess is Trevor............JMO.

Elsewhere on this site, they are predicting Baker.

I don't think anybody knows. Maybe not even the coaches yet.

I hate to say this, but I want to see who starts at the tackles. Give any of the three q-b's a chance in this offense, we may see something special.
We have at least one special running back. I'm locked into the offensive line.............

Won't it leak? There is one free site giving pretty much daily reports on Q-B reps, etc. My guess is Trevor............JMO.

I agree K2C and I hope that means he is much more consistent than last year rather than the qb's behind him are just that much more inconsistent. Ha.

Reactions: Tank Gossage
We all know Trevor is a great practice player. However, when the lights come on, he ends up going 110 mph. At this point, I don't care how good he plays in practice...I simply can't trust him when it comes to real game time situations. If its as close as it seems then I would much rather see Mayfield get the start.

None of the three quarterbacks, from all I have read, have separated themselves from the other two. Lately, I have read that Cody Thomas is still very much in the mix.
That being said, if one does convince the coaches that he should start at quarterback, is he capable of taking OU to a higher level or is he just a better option than the other two ?
Perhaps an even bigger question is how good the offensive line and receiving corps will be around the OU quarterback. Without those two areas stepping up big time, it may not matter who starts at quarterback.

I would prefer it be Baker or Thomas that starts. Having a hard time believing that TK has progressed significantly from last year. TK has been given plenty of starts to prove himself and was unable to perform with games on the line. Why would that change by slightly changing an offense? He simply can't handle the pressure. Having said that, he'll probably be named the starter and we will lose a game or two before a change is made. JMO

I would prefer it be Baker or Thomas that starts. Having a hard time believing that TK has progressed significantly from last year. TK has been given plenty of starts to prove himself and was unable to perform with games on the line. Why would that change by slightly changing an offense? He simply can't handle the pressure. Having said that, he'll probably be named the starter and we will lose a game or two before a change is made. JMO
Knight "handled the pressure" in the Sugar Bowl when his supporting cast was much better than it was last season. Bester, Saunders, Clay and a healthy Shepard were in Knight's arsenal and that was OU's main reason (by far) for winning.

I'm just like some in here, in that I'm not exactly jumping with joy at the thought of having Knight back as the starting QB. But I have to keep reminding myself that OU has a new OC and QB coach. Heupel is gone. You can't underestimate just how much a difference that can make. I know it's been said on here before, but Boykin at TCU is a perfect example. So don't just pull the plug on Knight yet. If Riley and Bob think he is the guy, then give the kid a chance to show what he can do in a new offense under a new OC and QB coach.

As CT posted, Cody Thomas is getting plenty of love from Lincoln Riley's quotes. I would prefer Cody over the other two because IMO he has more up side long term than either Baker, who although won the starting job at Tech as a walk-on, didn't play particularly well at all against better teams, or Trevor, who isn't that solid of a passer. Obviously, Cody had his issues last year, but I still think he is the most talented of the three. Like I get a vote!

As CT posted, Cody Thomas is getting plenty of love from Lincoln Riley's quotes. I would prefer Cody over the other two because IMO he has more up side long term than either Baker, who although won the starting job at Tech as a walk-on, didn't play particularly well at all against better teams, or Trevor, who isn't that solid of a passer. Obviously, Cody had his issues last year, but I still think he is the most talented of the three. Like I get a vote!

I concur wholeheartedly.

I hate to say this, but I want to see who starts at the tackles. Give any of the three q-b's a chance in this offense, we may see something special.
We have at least one special running back. I'm locked into the offensive line.............

I agree with you that the play of the OTackles will be a big deal. Right now, St John will be one tackle, and a good chance the other will be 6'8, 339 pound freshman, Orlando Brown. In my view, Jamal Brown (not related) was the best OTackle of the Stoops era. He was not a very good player when he started at the end of his redshirt freshman year. Of course, he'd spent his redshirt year on the other side of the ball, and it may have hindered him a bit. But he also didn't start until after halfway through the season, and by the end of an injury attrition year, we had four freshman of the five OLine starters. It was just a mess that he was a big part of. We couldn't block at 3-8 OState defense in Norman in the final game of the year.

Kind of like, well, the end of last season.

The point is that we'll have to live with freshman mistakes for a while, especially in the noise in Knoxville. I think we might be better at tackle by mid October than inside where there is more experience. But those returning guys didn't block anybody for most of the last half of the season. Except Kansas and Iowa State.

We couldn't block Texas. We couldn't block Baylor. In the fourth quarter, we couldn't block TCU. We couldn't block OSU. And we really couldn't block Clemson. I was kind of hoping that Danley was going to come in and contribute, but apparently he's had some problems taking care of business.

If the line isn't better, then maybe starting with TK isn't a horrible idea. He might be able to dodge some guys better than the other two.

Reactions: cblakec
I'm with you Plaino, I think it will be Baker. Reading all the practice reports, Baker does seem to have an edge coming down to the wire here. I was hoping CT could make a push and get the nod, but it really sounds as if he is clearly behind Baker and Trevor. I think Bob would make it a public announcement. Not like OU should need any secrecy or such to catch Akron off guard to guarantee a win like we did keeping Alabama in the dark prior to the Sugar Bowl.

I agree with you about Akron. But I think keeping UTenn in the dark until a week before we play them has some merit. Teams aren't just putting together week one game plans right now. The later it is that the Vols' staff has to focus in on one guy, the better. Not saying it will happen that way. But I think it might.

The OU staff has sent out a lot of conflicting info. One week in early August, BStoops floated the trial balloon that we might use more than one guy to let them battle it out on the field. Ten days later, Riley shot that down, but did so without any absolutes. He left wiggle room.

And it's not about messing with Akron. But we are only 20 days from the trip to UTenn. And messing with them might be part of the game plan.

That may be true about keeping Tenn in the dark as long as possible. But I have a feeling Tenn is going to see all it needs to see in OUs first game in the most important aspect of the offense in the offensive line. If the line isn't as far along as we all reviews hoping then it may not make a huge difference who the QB is if you are Tenn.

Do you guys think Stoops is going to actually play both qb's against Akron? That seems to kinda go against his one QB philosophy of the past so I kinda doubt it will happen. My guess is that he will go with Knight and he will eventually be pulled after several games in favor of Mayfield.

Reactions: BillyRay
BW, I think it's unlikely, but not impossible. The one thing maybe worse than not having a number one quarterback, is having a too close to call competition, where you anoint one who didn't really prove it. Fastest way to split a team.

One way to help overcome that is to play two, and let game day decide. And since you're likely to beat Akron even playing two, if you do that, it makes it tougher for UTenn to know which they'll be facing. Even if game one makes it pretty obvious, you can always come out after the first game and say that you'd planned all along to play two for two or three games. Then play the best one in game two, with the Vols having had to prepare for two. It does make a difference. It's one reason why TK has had his best outings when the other team wasn't sure which guy they were going to see.

BW, I think it's unlikely, but not impossible. The one thing maybe worse than not having a number one quarterback, is having a too close to call competition, where you anoint one who didn't really prove it. Fastest way to split a team.

One way to help overcome that is to play two, and let game day decide. And since you're likely to beat Akron even playing two, if you do that, it makes it tougher for UTenn to know which they'll be facing. Even if game one makes it pretty obvious, you can always come out after the first game and say that you'd planned all along to play two for two or three games. Then play the best one in game two, with the Vols having had to prepare for two. It does make a difference. It's one reason why TK has had his best outings when the other team wasn't sure which guy they were going to see.

Well, I think Riley has a plan, like it or not, and that is TWO QBs, interchangeable, to satisfy a given need at a given time. Just spit balling but, why else would they not name a starter this late?

I just can't believe that all three are so marginally talented by OU standards that one of them wouldn't have distinguished himself by this late date.
Just supposition on my part.

Last edited:
If Bob and Riley have to resort to platooning 2 QBs, then the offense may be in deeper trouble than we thought. Add to that some reports of a less-than-stellar showing of the offensive line so far in practices and it could get ugly. Seriously, if none of the QBs can distinguish themselves apart from each other, then go with CT and let him build experience for the future.

If Bob and Riley have to resort to platooning 2 QBs, then the offense may be in deeper trouble than we thought. Add to that some reports of a less-than-stellar showing of the offensive line so far in practices and it could get ugly. Seriously, if none of the QBs can distinguish themselves apart from each other, then go with CT and let him build experience for the future.
BR I agree on the one QB thing. Did you see something in Thomas last year that makes you think he may eventually be the guy? I have to be honest and say I was unimpressed with him especially in the passing department.

BR I agree on the one QB thing. Did you see something in Thomas last year that makes you think he may eventually be the guy? I have to be honest and say I was unimpressed with him especially in the passing department.

Well let's be honest too that Thomas was trotted out on the field as a RS freshman after being "coached" by Heupel. Then he was thrown into an offensive debacle that even Blake Bell and all his talent couldn't thrive in. And on top of that, the OU passing game went into the gutter when Shepard was lost so Thomas really had no legit WR to throw to. Thomas really was thrown into a "no-win" situation at the end of last year.

Sure Thomas made some pretty "rookie" mistakes and such that you would expect a RS freshman to make coming off the bench. But some of the reports I've read from practices have said that Thomas appears to be the most natural passer OU has on the roster right now. Give him some legit WRs to throw to, and an OC in Riley that knows how to put him in a position to succeed, and things may look ALOT different than they did at the end of last year.

Reactions: Oklabama
Well let's be honest too that Thomas was trotted out on the field as a RS freshman after being "coached" by Heupel. Then he was thrown into an offensive debacle that even Blake Bell and all his talent couldn't thrive in. And on top of that, the OU passing game went into the gutter when Shepard was lost so Thomas really had no legit WR to throw to. Thomas really was thrown into a "no-win" situation at the end of last year.

Sure Thomas made some pretty "rookie" mistakes and such that you would expect a RS freshman to make coming off the bench. But some of the reports I've read from practices have said that Thomas appears to be the most natural passer OU has on the roster right now. Give him some legit WRs to throw to, and an OC in Riley that knows how to put him in a position to succeed, and things may look ALOT different than they did at the end of last year.
You make some good points BR. He was certainly thrown out there last year and all that, but I just remember him having trouble completing a basic pass. In my opinion, TK probably has the strongest arm and looks to be the better runner of all 3. I just wish he could calm down and play within himself. One thing I do like about Mayfield is it seemed like he REALLY wanted to play at OU and looks to have a fiery attitude which could rub off on the other players. If he can keep from throwing the ball into traffic and unnecessarily going for the home run then he might just be the man.

Fitty, I think they have gone this long before, including two years ago, when it was TK named the starter.

BR, before the last two years, Josh's quarterbacks were the top pick in the NFL draft, and a fourth rounder. Sam hasn't exactly set the world on first in the NFL, so Josh must have been doing a pretty good job before.

You seem to have a one answer reply to all OU offensive problems. I promise you, it wasn't always Josh's fault, no matter how you feel about him. Coach's don't make plays. Players make plays. After the Bama game, you were willing to give him some credit, even though it was the players making plays.

Landry's problems were a lot more about his talents and weaknesses, than anything to do with how he was being coached. Same thing with TK. Same thing with Blake. Same thing with Thomas. And this year, it will be the same. If the quarterbacks make plays and don't turn it over much, we'll be pretty good. And if they don't, it won't be the coaches' faults. And it wasn't then, either.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
I will agree that Heupel appeared to be a really solid QB coach...when he was just a QB coach. At one time I really considered him to be one of the best QB coaches in the country. When he left to Arizone when Mike hired him, I really thought Bob let a great coach get away. Then when he came back, he did great things with OUs QBs. But it really seemed that when he was promoted to also be the OC, the QB development at OU pretty much flat lined after that. Landry made great strides between 2009 and 2010, but then he just never really seemed to develop much after that. Then Blake Bell didn't really develop into the QB that he appeared to be coming out of HS. Blake Bell had TREMENDOUS talent when he came to OU. Then Knight won the job, and has had flashes of good things in the past 2 years, but has been a bit of a disappointment. And now Cody Thomas has a ton of talent, but last season I do agree somewhat with BW that he really didn't look very polished at all for having been at OU for a year in the program.

Plaino I do agree that I don't think it was all Josh's fault. The lack of WR depth over the last handful of years has really hurt as well. So Josh's QBs weren't get a lot of help outside of usually one solid WR each year. Then if that guy went down like Broyles in 2011 or Shepard last season, the QB production was abysmal. So yes, it wasn't all on Heupel's shoulders. But I stand behind my statement that there was a clear line of when OUs QBs went from being some of the best developed in the country, to where we are now. And it started when Heupel began doubling duties as QB coach and OC. Maybe handling both at the same time was a bit too much on his plate.

But I don't have a one-answer reply to everything that has gone wrong at OU. It was Norvell as well. I think as a WR coach he could recruit like a beast, but he sucked at developing overall depth with the talent he recruited. I also think Bob should have cut BJW loose years ago. I also think other key coaching hires Bob has made over the years has been abysmal and put OU in the hole we are in now.
A guy linked this article over in CC the other day with the thread title "it's time we revisit this article from 2010". It's a perfect example of a move on Bob's staff that had a lasting effect on the program ending up where it is now. And I'm sure when Barry Tramel wrote the article back then, I bet many OU fans lashed out at how ignorant and stupid he was for questioning Bob Stoops in who he wants on his staff.

Here is the article link if others want to read it. http://newsok.com/article/3773063

Last edited:
Again, you're putting blame on coaches. Coaches have some responsibility, but most of it is on players. And luck with injuries has a lot to do with it. When you are playing your third team quarterback who is hurt, or you first teamer who was hurt and off for more than a month, and then plays still hurt and missing key receivers all over the place, it makes a bigger difference.

I just wonder what last season would have looked like if we'd have had Mayfield and Mixon and DGB and Shannon. Heupel and Norvell would have been in line for raises rather than pink slips.

As Barry said, it's the alignees.

Last edited:
Reactions: K2C Sooner
Again, you're putting blame on coaches. Coaches have some responsibility, but most of it is on players. And luck with injuries have a lot to do with it. When you are playing your third team quarterback who is hurt, or you first teamer who was hurt and off for more than a month, and then plays still hurt and missing key receivers all over the place, it makes a bigger difference.

I just wonder what last season would have looked like if we'd have had Mayfield and Mixon and DGB and Shannon. Heupel and Norvell would have been in line for raises rather than pink slips.

Looks like you are still arguing with the Amigos. Glad I'm out of that crap.

Again, you're putting blame on coaches. Coaches have some responsibility, but most of it is on players. And luck with injuries have a lot to do with it. When you are playing your third team quarterback who is hurt, or you first teamer who was hurt and off for more than a month, and then plays still hurt and missing key receivers all over the place, it makes a bigger difference.

No doubt what you are saying has validity. Coaches can only do so much, then it's on the shoulders of the players. But there is a reason Bob has totally revamped his staff the last few years. Outside of Cale Gundy, every other position at OU has had a coaching change in the last few seasons. So if Bob Stoops thought like you did, then he would have pretty much the exact same staff he had 3-4 years ago and would have never made changes.

I think Bob wanted to go back to the spread, and found the best young spread coach out there. I'm a little nervous about it for one reason. I don't like his passing over Buechelle for a guy in the area where he came from. I don't think the other guy is better than Buechelle. He just knew him better.

The recruiting at wide had been lacking, IMO. Most of our best receivers were transfers. That would mean a problem with player development.

Boykin says it can be done..

I think Bob wanted to go back to the spread, and found the best young spread coach out there. I'm a little nervous about it for one reason. I don't like his passing over Buechelle for a guy in the area where he came from. I don't think the other guy is better than Buechelle. He just knew him better.

The recruiting at wide had been lacking, IMO. Most of our best receivers were transfers. That would mean a problem with player development.

Well we certainly agree with each other on your last sentence. I also tend to think that applies to the QBs the last handful of years as well. Player development is on the coaches....not the alignees. ;)

No doubt what you are saying has validity. Coaches can only do so much, then it's on the shoulders of the players. But there is a reason Bob has totally revamped his staff the last few years. Outside of Cale Gundy, every other position at OU has had a coaching change in the last few seasons. So if Bob Stoops thought like you did, then he would have pretty much the exact same staff he had 3-4 years ago and would have never made changes.
Exactly BR. If the coaching had little to do with it then all those guys that Bob let go would still be here. And we all know the reason Mike is still on staff

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT