ADVERTISEMENT

Vs SMU

We are not at Shorthorns level sad to say. We have pretty far to go yet. But as often happens there is the big hype spotlight, then stuff starts falling apart (referencing the shorthorns here).

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Some of you guys need to tap the breaks a little bit. SMU isn't some cupcake team without a pulse like Arkansas State was. OU was favored by 16 1/2 points and won by 17. Yes, there were missed opportunities on offense (and horrible play-calling by Lebby), and the defense made some mistakes. Next game will be a much easier test against a Tulsa team that was blown out by Washington today.

I didn’t understand why we ran down there throats for 97 yard td and then went away from it ? I hope to never see another bubble screen route for 3 yards

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I didn’t understand why we ran down there throats for 97 yard td and then went away from it ? I hope to never see another bubble screen route for 3 yards
Lebby. Much of what we saw today on the field from him was garbage, even after the game if you get my drift. Brent said the latter was being dealt with, hopefully the former is as well. SMU is not a good team, better than Arkie Lite yes but the game never should have been that close.

I’m NOT a Jeff Lebby fan but how many players are here because of him? I don’t keep up with who recruits who but it seems that several players have been tied to him. Jackson Arnold?? Others?? Maybe we wouldn’t have gotten them without Lebby?? But that’s not a reason to keep a coach that’s not doing the job, right? I only bring this up because there’s no question why the USC quarterback is playing for Southern Cal instead of OU.

Last edited:
Seems like Venables will be questioned about the play calling in his next press conference. He SHOULD be.
And why is Arnold being used as a short yardage weapon???
After watching Texas beating Alabama and throughout that game, I saw a Texas team that was very physical, very resilient, and very well coached.
While this year’s Alabama team is very young and with a QB who isn’t as good as his predecessors were, Texas still impressed me. Texas wasn’t the same Texas and Alabama wasn’t the same Alabama in my view last night.
Let’s see what OU’s coaches can do to improve this team as it approaches the game with Texas.
Play calling, line play both on offense. and defense, avoiding penalties, and getting Barnes and Sawchuk back to their level shown vs Florida State need to be addressed. (And what’s up with Sawchuk’s injury?)
Bottom line for me: I thought after the Riley exit that Venables faced at least a three year culture change and rebuilding effort. So in this third year, while there seems to be improvement, there is still much work to be done…. outside of all the positive rhetoric.

Seems like Venables will be questioned about the play calling in his next press conference. He SHOULD be.
After watching Texas beating Alabama and throughout that game, I saw a Texas team that was very physical, very resilient, and very well coached.
While this year’s Alabama team is very young and with a QB who isn’t as good as his predecessors were, Texas still impressed me. Texas wasn’t the same Texas and Alabama wasn’t the same Alabama in my view last night.
Let’s see what OU’s coaches can do to improve this team as it approaches the game with Texas.
Play calling, line play both on offense. and defense, avoiding penalties, and getting Barnes and Sawchuk back to their level shown vs Florida State need to be addressed. (And what’s up with Sawchuk’s injury?)
Bottom line for me: I thought after the Riley exit that Venables faced at least a three year culture change and rebuilding effort. So in this third year, while there seems to be improvement, there is still much work to be done…. outside of all the positive rhetoric.
Well, this is only Brent’s 2nd year but it appears that except for Texas the conference is going to have a down year. So OU will have a decent opportunity to improve upon its 2022 record and I think we will. We’re a better team than last year but still not what we all wanted this season, IMO. More games like yesterday are very likely but for me winning is most important regardless the score. Hopefully, we’ll still be undefeated come the RRR.

The TV scribes was calling for this as the #1 upset alert. Didn't happen. And I concur as stated by many on this board that Lebby needs to get his head out of his a**. Five times he called a third and short to the left side and was thwarted. You would think after two tries that you would toss that play for the remainder of the game. Arnold being the "Belldozer" was successful two of three times. The third time I would've called for a quick out as they were prepared the third time. JS. Lebby did get his head out of his a** the last two drives but many OC's would've called these plays earlier as OU has the talent to get it done.

Some of you guys need to tap the breaks a little bit. SMU isn't some cupcake team without a pulse like Arkansas State was. OU was favored by 16 1/2 points and won by 17. Yes, there were missed opportunities on offense (and horrible play-calling by Lebby), and the defense made some mistakes. Next game will be a much easier test against a Tulsa team that was blown out by Washington today.
Good points. Ironically CBS sports is thinking a lot like some of our fans. According to them OU was losers Saturday. The defense didnt fold like they would have under Grinch and Riley. If anything its Lebbys play calling that almost cost them Saturday

Reactions: iasooner2000
Well, this is only Brent’s 2nd year but it appears that except for Texas the conference is going to have a down year. So OU will have a decent opportunity to improve upon its 2022 record and I think we will. We’re a better team than last year but still not what we all wanted this season, IMO. More games like yesterday are very likely but for me winning is most important regardless the score. Hopefully, we’ll still be undefeated come the RRR.
Good post, Bama.
This year’s OU team strikes me as a team with lingering inconsistencies as Venables tries to resurrect the program.
What matters most is what can be done to make the team better…much better….as it readies itself for SEC competition next year.
Every game besides Texas is winnable but anything can happen with a team still in transition.

Good post, Bama.
This year’s OU team strikes me as a team with lingering inconsistencies as Venables tries to resurrect the program.
What matters most is what can be done to make the team better…much better….as it readies itself for SEC competition next year.
Every game besides Texas is winnable but anything can happen with a team still in transition.
Yeah, winning should be the goal, not by how much. Hopefully Arnold can run the offense a lot rather than being used the way he was yesterday. He will need as many snaps as possible to get prepared to quarterback against next year’s brutal schedule. And I mean brutal.

Hopefully we can get to and win the 2nd game against texsa in early December while giving them a challenge in October

Defense played a lot of snaps in the 3rd quarter, if not for 2 penalties they would not have scored in the 3rd. I believe BV is keeping it pretty vanilla in these early games. We have some speed at the LB position, I see BV using those guys on blitzes a lot more than what we have seen so far. The issue is offense, Lebby needs to figure out ways to stay on the field way too many 3-and-outs yesterday. Stogner has 1 catch for 3 yards on the year. Luckily Gabriel has done a really nice job of protecting the ball, going to need him to continue doing that and Lebby to make better calls. Did Gabriel attempt a deep ball yesterday? Gibson and Anderson had zero targets yesterday.

• Sad
Defense played a lot of snaps in the 3rd quarter, if not for 2 penalties they would not have scored in the 3rd. I believe BV is keeping it pretty vanilla in these early games. We have some speed at the LB position, I see BV using those guys on blitzes a lot more than what we have seen so far. The issue is offense, Lebby needs to figure out ways to stay on the field way too many 3-and-outs yesterday. Stogner has 1 catch for 3 yards on the year. Luckily Gabriel has done a really nice job of protecting the ball, going to need him to continue doing that and Lebby to make better calls. Did Gabriel attempt a deep ball yesterday? Gibson and Anderson had zero targets yesterday.
I'm genuinely curious about keeping things vanilla. It seems that would be a decent approach with a veteran team where the coaches are confident the players are immersed in the schemes and can turn it on when needed. We as fans had a similar attitude last year going through UTEP and Kent St. I have my doubts. While we have several veteran players we have year 2 of a new system and while the tackling is better, the offensive production, especially stretching the defense, seems lacking. We will see but I don't have much faith that Lebby was holding back as much as we are not where we need to be on offense.

My takeaways.

Both Oline and Dline need work.

The Dline is not any good, zero pressure when we rushed 3-4 and the DE are just bad, really bad
Byrd needs to move back to his HS days and play Dline, he was horrible until pulled
Gabriel is average at best, Lebby didn't call anything deep but our Oline didn't help
We have LBs and DBs, nothing got behind them.
The running game was decent but a average Oline will do that,
Arnold is White before he blew out his knees. Hopefully he has the same deep ball Jason had.
I get they didn't open up the playbook but damn. A bunch of 3 star recruits pushed around both lines at times.
The BigXII refs hate us and this was just a preview of things to come, this season

I know the real stats say otherwise, but as far as I'm concerned our defense only gave up three points last night. SMU's only TD was gifted to them on two bad PI calls and a missed offensive PI call on the two point conversion. SMU's a decent team that IMO would finish in the top division of the Big 12. We won (while playing vanilla defensive schemes and attempting no long passes) and we covered against that team. So relax and move to the next game..

Once again, if SMU can beat TCU, there's a good chance they finish 12-1. They're already the favorite to win their conference and have a decent shot at getting the New Year's Six bowl bid for the Group of Five teams. You guys are acting like this is some FCS cupcake that OU should have beaten by 63 points. OU was favored by 16 1/2, and actually covered the spread.

Once again, if SMU can beat TCU, there's a good chance they finish 12-1. They're already the favorite to win their conference and have a decent shot at getting the New Year's Six bowl bid for the Group of Five teams. You guys are acting like this is some FCS cupcake that OU should have beaten by 63 points. OU was favored by 16 1/2, and actually covered the spread.
I had the good guys by 46. I'll accept the 17 though. 😁

Texas looked like the real deal last night. They have a quality front on O and D. Sarkisian has three or four really good wides, a overmatch at tight end and some runners who can effectively run the ball, even against a good front. Their D gave up some. but their offense more than made up for it.

Since Nick Saban became a head coach, he have NEVER lost a game at home by double digits .... until last night. This year, the 13 year old Longhorn promise just might come true. I'm sure they'll have a little letdown next week. But we also found out that the win over Rice was pretty solid. Rice beat Houston last night in 2 OT's. Last night win was definitely a good one.
\\\\\\\\\\\
And Venables doesn't call the plays.

Texas looked like the real deal last night. They have a quality front on O and D. Sarkisian has three or four really good wides, a overmatch at tight end and some runners who can effectively run the ball, even against a good front. Their D gave up some. but their offense more than made up for it.

Since Nick Saban became a head coach, he have NEVER lost a game at home by double digits .... until last night. This year, the 13 year old Longhorn promise just might come true. I'm sure they'll have a little letdown next week. But we also found out that the win over Rice was pretty solid. Rice beat Houston last night in 2 OT's. Last night win was definitely a good one.
\\\\\\\\\\\
I know Venables doesn’t call the plays, but he should be questioned about it since he’s in charge and Lebby is his OC.

I just saw another interesting stat that I wasn't aware of, and perhaps some of you all aren't either. The 11 points that SMU scored was their lowest point total in the last 5 years.

The only way we are going to get a run game going against better competition is to set up the run with the pass, specifically the intermediate to deep ball. Venables presser excuse about no deep passing because SMU was playing "soft", and we still couldn't run it...well what's that mean for us when we play UT? Dedicating parts of the game to a "commitment to the run" (or whatever Lebby was trying to accomplish) was counter-productive. He needs to keep things mixed up and show some more diversity in the playcalling to keep Ds off balance. At all events I want to see more bombs away to Anthony, Farooq, et.al.

Really pleased with the back 7 on D - no WRs running open for uncontested TDs, etc.; sure some mistakes, but usually covered eventually and cleaned up later in the drive, able to hold. The lone SMU TD was aided by 3 penalties for 35 yards (no warning on the sideline "interference"? And never saw clear interference in the end zone). I heard some talking head say they drove for 75 yards - no, they drove for 30.

The only way we are going to get a run game going against better competition is to set up the run with the pass, specifically the intermediate to deep ball. Venables presser excuse about no deep passing because SMU was playing "soft", and we still couldn't run it...well what's that mean for us when we play UT? Dedicating parts of the game to a "commitment to the run" (or whatever Lebby was trying to accomplish) was counter-productive. He needs to keep things mixed up and show some more diversity in the playcalling to keep Ds off balance. At all events I want to see more bombs away to Anthony, Farooq, et.al.

Really pleased with the back 7 on D - no WRs running open for uncontested TDs, etc.; sure some mistakes, but usually covered eventually and cleaned up later in the drive, able to hold. The lone SMU TD was aided by 3 penalties for 35 yards (no warning on the sideline "interference"? And never saw clear interference in the end zone). I heard some talking head say they drove for 75 yards - no, they drove for 30.A
More ways to have a better run game would be to 1, get both Barnes and Sawchuck back to being OU's RB corps..... 2, having the offensive line improve (it still looks like a work-in-process right now).... 3, utilizing the tight end position more for short range passing.

Last edited:

\\\\\\\\\\\
Hopefully it ain't 49-0 again....

Did anyone discuss how Key Lawrence, despite playing a very good game, missed defending the 2 point conversion ball that went right in front of him? It looked like Lawrence is right on the WR, but back to the field and unaware the ball is in the air, and the WR pushes him, turning him sideways, towards the ball's trajectory but Lawrence is ready to put his hands up for interference instead of looking for the ball that just sails by him. Good coverage I guess and a freak sequence of events, as clearly the rushed QB just threw it up for grabs. Everything on that drive went against us.

Not sure if anyone caught Cale on the Animal but he is concerned about our lack of offense. He says there are definitely issues and there is no way we intended to be that conservative. I know Lebby said something different but one of them is correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT