ADVERTISEMENT

Vs SMU

Not sure if anyone caught Cale on the Animal but he is concerned about our lack of offense. He says there are definitely issues and there is no way we intended to be that conservative. I know Lebby said something different but one of them is correct.

The play calling appeared very conservative in how we attacked the field. The offensive line was pedestrian but did manage to get the job done. Lebby ran hurry up in a few head scratching series...again.

It's too early to assess imo. We had better look sharper against Tulsa.

I'm fine with running the ball at the cost of lower scoring outputs and getting the OL up to speed but there still needs to be at least a couple attempts to stretch the field as well as between the hashes at 15-20 yards.

Not sure if anyone caught Cale on the Animal but he is concerned about our lack of offense. He says there are definitely issues and there is no way we intended to be that conservative. I know Lebby said something different but one of them is correct.
I had the same concern last year. I'm still perplexed why a team with insane athletes can't score a point in today's game

I said it then and I will say it now. Not too many Ole Piss fans were sad that Lebby left, most said it was Kiffins Offense not Lebs.
Add in the AB's presence on the Field after the SMU game and you can see a Pattern of Poor Judgement. He has this season to get it right and after that I would be looking for a change at OC if I were BV or Joe C. Same goes for Roof if BV has to take on a bigger role on the defensive side of the ball which he has said he is this season. Why pay the money for a DC if you have to spend more time with the Defense? Time to shit or get off the pot. This is OU a Blue Blood Program, not a place where you come to learn on the job or have your job done for you. Growing tired of this crap and thats from.Joe C on down the line. Good grief.

I just saw another interesting stat that I wasn't aware of, and perhaps some of you all aren't either. The 11 points that SMU scored was their lowest point total in the last 5 years.
I saw it after the game, its SMU not Bama or texass or even k state. Doesn't mean much to me in a closer than it should have been game. I mean come on its SMU.

Reactions: Oklabama
I had the same concern last year. I'm still perplexed why a team with insane athletes can't score a point in today's game
We hear that every year, talent. Yet it never surfaces so is it a mirage or coaching? I remember BS saying after LSUX beat us for the Natty that it was hard to lose with all that talent we had. I seem to remember some piss poor coaching that cost us that game, not the talent. Anyone else remember?

Some of you guys need to tap the breaks a little bit. SMU isn't some cupcake team without a pulse like Arkansas State was. OU was favored by 16 1/2 points and won by 17. Yes, there were missed opportunities on offense (and horrible play-calling by Lebby), and the defense made some mistakes. Next game will be a much easier test against a Tulsa team that was blown out by Washington today.
Maybe the spread had more to do with what they didn't see from OU in the 1st Game more so than what they saw from SMU in their opener?
People are acting like SMU is a World Beater and they are not. Maybe in Cupcake Conference North they are but we were only a 16 1/2 Point Favs for a reason, won and dropped in the Polls. Its SMU lol. A lot of Sooner fans are in for a rude awakening next year, won't be any SMU's or Kansas States or Iowa States or Kansas or Baylors on our Schedule. Every SEC Game will be a battle. Just not sure most realize whats coming, every game is gonna be like a Rivalry Game next year for the opposing team. Better get ready.

Maybe the spread had more to do with what they didn't see from OU in the 1st Game more so than what they saw from SMU in their opener?
People are acting like SMU is a World Beater and they are not. Maybe in Cupcake Conference North they are but we were only a 16 1/2 Point Favs for a reason, won and dropped in the Polls. Its SMU lol. A lot of Sooner fans are in for a rude awakening next year, won't be any SMU's or Kansas States or Iowa States or Kansas or Baylors on our Schedule. Every SEC Game will be a battle. Just not sure most realize whats coming, every game is gonna be like a Rivalry Game next year for the opposing team. Better get ready.
67, you’re on fire! All great points. You’re saying what I’ve been thinking.

Several questionable play calls I agree, but it was also poor execution by our TE and WR (esp TE) blocking on those quick passes. Stogner flat-out missed at least 3 blocks. SMU did a great job of taking away the deep ball and DG was smart Instead of throwing it he took off running and made positive yards. The offense and Lebby showed that they can score when they want, 4th quarter 2 drives 2 touchdowns, and Lebby just needs that mentality for all four quarters not just one. Jackson Arnold is not Blake Bell and that is something he needs to fix ASAP. Arnold isn't going to redshirt, but if he was wasting one of his 4 games for that is just plain stupid.

67, you’re on fire! All great points. You’re saying what I’ve been thinking.
You know it and get it my man. I don't only say it for fans here but in the Stadium as well. For years people here have complained about the lack of fans at home games being vocal and getting off their ass, I have seen it firsthand many times myself. I emplore any and every OU fan to watch any and all SEC Games they can this Season to see whats coming and multiply that times 2 or 3 when we play on the road in 2024. The Palace is going to have to step up their game, Players, Coaches and Water Boys and Girls too. The Talk of OUDNA is gonna have to prove itself very soon. The Standard is going to have to prove its more than talk. The excuses against inferior programs will come crashing down. No time like the present to walk the walk, its coming soon. Just hope everyone is ready.

You know it and get it my man. I don't only say it for fans here but in the Stadium as well. For years people here have complained about the lack of fans at home games being vocal and getting off their ass, I have seen it firsthand many times myself. I emplore any and every OU fan to watch any and all SEC Games they can this Season to see whats coming and multiply that times 2 or 3 when we play on the road in 2024. The Palace is going to have to step up their game, Players, Coaches and Water Boys and Girls too. The Talk of OUDNA is gonna have to prove itself very soon. The Standard is going to have to prove its more than talk. The excuses against inferior programs will come crashing down. No time like the present to walk the walk, its coming soon. Just hope everyone is ready.

Fans sit down as soon as opening kick off is booted.

Imo, Lebby is barely mediocre. He's definitely not innovative, or cutting edge type coach. He's predictable and doesn't deserve the money he earns. He actually probably thinks he deserves to be compensated for his crappy play calling and his baggage he apparently invites. I want a new OC. Oklahoma deserves a great OC. Lebby is a meat head.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
If we lose any games (including texsa) the rest of the regular season because of poor play calls, I’ll be happy to see a new OC

Jury is still out for me on Lebby, Gabriel is an average at best QB, he's the worst starting QB, we've had this century. Granted we've had great QBs but he's doesn't have the talent. If he figures out a way to utilize Gabriel, like Mangino did with Heupel, then we have a winner

Reactions: loopafied68
Jury is still out for me on Lebby, Gabriel is an average at best QB, he's the worst starting QB, we've had this century. Granted we've had great QBs but he's doesn't have the talent. If he figures out a way to utilize Gabriel, like Mangino did with Heupel, then we have a winner
Maybe lebby is banking on Jackson saving his job? Hope it's not the case.

I may be more crotchety lately lots of reasons but mostly I am just tired of what seems to be at least to me a Football Program that for some reason just doesn't seem to be what we hear it is. I don't know, don't mean to ruffle any feathers here and I am not directing any frustration at any member or members here. It's early in the Season so I will just enjoy that its here and see how it goes. Hopefully better than I think it will but in my opinion we haven't gotten into the meat of the schedule yet and so far have not looked very good. I still think we are at least 2 to 3 yrs away from getting out of the mess TBOW left us in and moving to a tougher Conference next season may be more of a blessing than we realize even if it means more losses in the short term.

I may be more crotchety lately lots of reasons but mostly I am just tired of what seems to be at least to me a Football Program that for some reason just doesn't seem to be what we hear it is. I don't know, don't mean to ruffle any feathers here and I am not directing any frustration at any member or members here. It's early in the Season so I will just enjoy that its here and see how it goes. Hopefully better than I think it will but in my opinion we haven't gotten into the meat of the schedule yet and so far have not looked very good. I still think we are at least 2 to 3 yrs away from getting out of the mess TBOW left us in and moving to a tougher Conference next season may be more of a blessing than we realize even if it means more losses in the short term.
Terrific post, 67.
OU is still very much in a rebuilding/culture change mode.
Realistically, I want to see this team become much better with each game played. I mean significantly better.
The talent and resources are there, but the development and cohesion are still works-in-process and it likely will be next season, even with the excellent recruiting we are seeing Venables have so far.
And from what I’ve seen so far, Texas seems to be progressing ahead of OU…. but the Horns did not have to overcome its roster and recruiting poached by a coach on his way out.
Venables has had to take a step or two back in order to take three steps forward.

I think I would take Gabriel over Rattler. DG protects the football and doesnt take unnecessary risks.

If you look at Lebby's head coaches they were all great offensive minds. Briles, Huepel, and Kiffin These guys had a huge part in the game planning and calling of plays. He doesn't have that in his back pocket any longer and I am not sure he can do it on his own. A defensive-minded head coach is going to tell him to milk the clock, stay on the field so the defense can rest. Those coaches listed were all about score now and score often. Lebby needs to let Wells help him with the game plan, that's what analyst are for.

I think I would take Gabriel over Rattler. DG protects the football and doesnt take unnecessary risks.

If the games on the line with 2 minutes and 80 yards to go, I'll take Rattler. Gabriel doesn't have that it factor. He's kind of serviceable but would normally, he wood be a good backup, just not a starter at OU.

I saw it after the game, its SMU not Bama or texass or even k state. Doesn't mean much to me in a closer than it should have been game. I mean come on its SMU.

I'm not talking about the closeness of the final score (which is on the OU offense, not the defense).

SMU has played against 8 ranked teams in the last five years. In those games, they scored 41, 48, 30, 13, 14, 27, 24. Against OU, they scored 11.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I'm not talking about the closeness of the final score (which is on the OU offense, not the defense).

SMU has played against 8 ranked teams in the last five years. In those games, they scored 41, 48, 30, 13, 14, 27, 24. Against OU, they scored 11.
I get what you are saying. I am just gonna have to see more than what they did vs SMU.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Gabriel is worse than Hypl and Bomar? Really?
Gabriel comes in as a transfer to a team already in transition and a team with a porous defense.
OU scored plenty of points to win games last year especially when you omit the Texas game in which Gabriel did not play.
It’s defense that is OU’s biggest need. Gabriel is not a problem.

I think the lack of O-Line play last year was as much of an issue as any of the skill positions. I mean, they could not get a push against Kent St. After seeing and hearing some of the issues with SMU it is apparent they have significant room for improvement again this year. I will reserve judgement on the QB's a bit until we see if the OLine gives them time to make more than one read when facing avg to above avg competition. That said, I do see a drop-off in QB play from the Heisman QB's we have had. We just need to accept our run with all-world QB's has had a break until possibly next year. I also believe Lebby is much less than advertised. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. In essence, I consider him a screen machine. I hope to be proven wrong.

I think the lack of O-Line play last year was as much of an issue as any of the skill positions. I mean, they could not get a push against Kent St. After seeing and hearing some of the issues with SMU it is apparent they have significant room for improvement again this year. I will reserve judgement on the QB's a bit until we see if the OLine gives them time to make more than one read when facing avg to above avg competition. That said, I do see a drop-off in QB play from the Heisman QB's we have had. We just need to accept our run with all-world QB's has had a break until possibly next year. I also believe Lebby is much less than advertised. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. In essence, I consider him a screen machine. I hope to be proven wrong.
Well heck, i spend most of my time these days turning folks onto fish. I can't keep up with this bullshit anymore.

Some folks just have nothin else to live for. Good luck son. 👍
Fans can make observations. The coaches and the players are not above scrutiny. I distinctly remember Kent St. being the eye-opener that our season was in jeopardy last year. We were getting no push and shuffling Olineman like crazy. That manifested in spades throughout the year. Yes, there were plenty of other holes to fill, but Bedenbaugh et. al had an unusually suspect line. It's reality that we can't ignore if we are honest fans. If you get butt-hurt then maybe shying away from this board should be your M. O.

Fans can make observations. The coaches and the players are not above scrutiny. I distinctly remember Kent St. being the eye-opener that our season was in jeopardy last year. We were getting no push and shuffling Olineman like crazy. That manifested in spades throughout the year. Yes, there were plenty of other holes to fill, but Bedenbaugh et. al had an unusually suspect line. It's reality that we can't ignore if we are honest fans. If you get butt-hurt then maybe shying away from this board should be your M. O.
Yer the only here who smells of butt hurt. You're the one who seems to be having a bad night? Good luck. 👍

Fans have a right to call out what they see. Fans pour millions of dollars into the Hungry Monsters Mouth that is College Football every day. The Salaries these Coaches make today and now the money the players are making off NIL Deals yet still get a free education, yeah fans need to be more vocal when things aren't right. Its how things get fixed.

If the games on the line with 2 minutes and 80 yards to go, I'll take Rattler. Gabriel doesn't have that it factor. He's kind of serviceable but would normally, he wood be a good backup, just not a starter at OU.
I have to agree here. Last year to me Gabriel proved he just didnt have that “ It” factor when OU needed it. Caleb Williams did and its why USC won 11 games. I still think had CW stayed Ou wins 9 maybe 10 games because of that factor despite the crappy D.

Will Lebby move Arnold ahead? Doubt it because of his dedication to DG. I think as fans we all have a right to express our opinions and sometimes we are right and other times wrong. Maybe DG proves me wrong but I dont see him pulling out the last minute winning drive.

Unless Gabriel suffers a major injury I don’t think we’ll see Arnold running the full offense this year. So far, I’m not particularly pleased with the “special Arnold plays” Lebby has called.

Maybe someone that actually watched Arnold play in high school could explain what I once read about the Lebby-Arnold connection. “Anyone that has watched Jackson Arnold play understands why he wants to play for Jeff Lebby”. This, I believe, was a statement from a sportswriter in Texas.

Unless Gabriel suffers a major injury I don’t think we’ll see Arnold running the full offense this year. So far, I’m not particularly pleased with the “special Arnold plays” Lebby has called.

Maybe someone that actually watched Arnold play in high school could explain what I once read about the Lebby-Arnold connection. “Anyone that has watched Jackson Arnold play understands why he wants to play for Jeff Lebby”. This, I believe, was a statement from a sportswriter in Texas.

I think this is what you're looking for:

Yer the only here who smells of butt hurt. You're the one who seems to be having a bad night? Good luck. 👍
Woodly, may I suggest you take your apparent well-wishing of luck and incapability of admitting the truth and find a new thread. It may do you good as the ratio suggests my points have merit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT