ADVERTISEMENT

Venables to be named HC today

If its Aranda, then I assume you'd be an OSU fan this weekend? I'd think it would be harder to pry Aranda away from Baylor if they are the reigning champs.
I think the Cowboys win but I would love it if Baylor were to upset them. If Aranda were to turn down an offer by OU that would surprise me. But who knows.

Last edited:
If its Aranda, then I assume you'd be an OSU fan this weekend? I'd think it would be harder to pry Aranda away from Baylor if they are the reigning champs.

I am just playing the guessing game like everyone else. I actually have no idea who it will be. But it does seem to me they are waiting until after CCG weekend is over to name who it is because he is involved in one of those games.
I want them both to lose personally but that cannot happen. I think we should be there but we all know why we aren't. Hate it for the players more than anything.

This would be very interesting if true. But who the heck knows what to believe these days. If I remember right these hacks have been wrong almost every time.

On another note I wonder if Eric Bienemy is on JC short list. I know he is waiting on a NFL HC job but would he even consider a college gig?

Last edited:
This would be very interesting if true. But who the heck knows what to believe these days. If I remember right these hacks have been wrong almost every time.

On another note I wonder if Eric Bienemy is on JC short list. I know he is waiting on a NFL HC job but would he even consider a college gig?

Wow! Believe it when I see it but holy crap.

I think all of the OU fanbase agrees with what Teddy Lehman says in this podcast. Listen for about a minute starting at 46:50. Btw I was reading a Clemson board today and some poster mention OU may be interested in Holgerson. I thinks it’s bs and I hope it is, I would literally lose it and have to stop watching college ball for his tenure

Last edited:
Reactions: AstuteMirLeid
OU likes to promote from within, so I wouldn't rule out Cale Gundy as the next head coach.
Cale Gundy has never even sought out a solo coordinator role at OU. He loves being a position coach and he's good at recruiting. I'd like to see the new coach put him back at running back though.

I think the Cowboys win but I would love it if Baylor were to upset them. If Aranda were to turn down an offer by OU that would surprise me. But who knows.
Big 12 commish want a big 12 team in the playoffs. Baylor doesnt stand a chance Saturday. They will get worse calls than what OU did against the Pokes.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Cale Gundy has never even sought out a solo coordinator role at OU. He loves being a position coach and he's good at recruiting. I'd like to see the new coach put him back at running back though.
Cale probably has the best job on the staff. Doesn't really have to deal with the media, makes a lot of money, less pressure than being a head coach.....he must be a grounded, content, and smart guy that doesn't have a huge ego.

This has a 0% Chance of happening. At this point it appears to be either Fickell or Lanning, or it's someone not being talked about.

This has a 0% Chance of happening. At this point it appears to be either Fickell or Lanning, or it's someone not being talked about.
Personally I dont believe it will be Fickell but if it is I would be okay with not that I have any input into the hire.

I think its more in line with Aranda than Fickell. Lanning would be a great choice though imho. When its all said and done I think we may all be surprised and I agree that the Dabo tweet is just another false statement.

For the record I also think Bienemy would be a great hire. From what I gather he is highly respected by his NFL peers

Last edited:

I can’t see Dan Lanning leaving Georgia before the CFP games, and OU can’t wait that long. We need a new coach ASAP. Same for Fickell.

Whoever they hire, that person had better be a damn good recruiter or can manage a great recruiting dept. Because OU is about to go up against Kelly (LSU), Jimbo (A&M), & Texas for the top recruits in Texas. Right now Aggie completely owns and I mean is dominating Houston and the SE Texas.

The 2022 class is about to wrap up and we've dropped out of the picture for anywhere near a top ranking's list. My point is these recruits will come of age in two years at the same time we move to the SEC.

We can only hope the portal is good to OU in the very near future.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
Personally I dont believe it will be Fickell but if it is I would be okay with not that I have any input into the hire.

I think its more in line with Aranda than Fickell. Lanning would be a great choice though imho. When its all said and done I think we may all be surprised and I agree that the Dabo tweet is just another false statement.

For the record I also think Bienemy would be a great hire. From what I gather he is highly respected by his NFL peers
Didn’t Bienemy run into legal trouble when working for Colorado or something?

I can’t see Dan Lanning leaving Georgia before the CFP games, and OU can’t wait that long. We need a new coach ASAP. Same for Fickell.
I believe the announcement will be Sunday or Monday after this weekend's games and feel it's someone coaching this weekend (maybe Aranda), otherwise the next coach would already be on board.

It can be done, a coach waiting until after the playoffs. There is one guy that comes to mind and its none other than Lannings's Boss Kirby Smart.
Kirby was named the Georgia HC right after the SEC Title Game in 2015, he stayed on as Bama DC thru the playoffs while also juggling recruiting duties for Georgia. Its not an easy thing to do but it can be done. And Kirby could give him some pointers on how he was able to do it. In 2017 Kirby won the SEC and had Georgia in the Playoffs but lost to Bama 26-23 in the title game.
But then again this Portal thing wasn't around back then I don't think. The Portal though also works both ways and the new HC might be able to use it as an advantage.

Props to the Mrs. for reminding me of this yesterday. 😁

Last edited:
It can be done, a coach waiting until after the playoffs. There is one guy that comes to mind and its none other than Lannings's Boss Kirby Smart.
Kirby was named the Georgia HC right after the SEC Title Game in 2015, he stayed on as Bama DC thru the playoffs while also juggling recruiting duties for Georgia. Its not an easy thing to do but it can be done. And Kirby could give him some pointers on how he was able to do it. In 2017 Kirby won the SEC and had Georgia in the Playoffs but lost to Bama 26-23 in the title game.
But then again this Portal thing wasn't around back then I don't think. The Portal though also works both ways and the new HC might be able to use it as an advantage.

Props to the Mrs. for reminding me of this yesterday. 😁
Thanks for passing on the wifey’s reminder, 67. That’s right and Lanning would be a great choice for OU especially if he brought his current assistant DC with him to run the defense.

Dabo is a big cog in Fellowship of Christian Athletes and we know what BV can do for this team. I say they are option 1 and Lannibg is option 2.

Give me one reason Dabo would leave Clemson to coach a team in the SEC except for Alabama.
The concept of a new challenge, family excited for a new place to live, coaching a historical program, and a couple of houses for sale under market...oh wait wrong coach, wrong program 😁

Had a few getting ready to go see some live music from a classic band. We will be fine, I have a good feeling.

The concept of a new challenge, family excited for a new place to live, coaching a historical program, and a couple of houses for sale under market...oh wait wrong coach, wrong program 😁

Had a few getting ready to go see some live music from a classic band. We will be fine, I have a good feeling.
Hey, soldier. It’s cocktail hour in Tulsa, too. Enjoy the concert. Boomer.

I would say Bama would promote from within after he retires if there are any good assistants left by then, his staff has been raided a lot over the years.
For anyone even for someone outside the program it would be like following behind John Holmes.

I don't disagree at all.
Here’s a crazy idea. We would have 3 head coaches. So let’s say we go out and find the very best OC we can find, the very best DC we can find, and we have 2 of 3 of the Tri-Coaches. The third Tri Coach will be over PR/Recruiting. Here’s who I would pick:

OC Tri Coach: Leach

DC Tri Coach: Venables,

PR Tri Coach: Deon

Sorry I’m drinking the wine again, just kidding. 😊

Here’s a crazy idea. We would have 3 head coaches. So let’s say we go out and find the very best OC we can find, the very best DC we can find, and we have 2 of 3 of the Tri-Coaches. The third Tri Coach will be over PR/Recruiting. Here’s who I would pick:

OC Tri Coach: Leach

DC Tri Coach: Venables,

PR Tri Coach: Deon

Sorry I’m drinking the wine again, just kidding. 😊
What the **** is a tri coach?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT