ADVERTISEMENT

Venables to be named HC today

May 29, 2001
Dallas, TX
Didn't see this posted here on the main board. I've got a good source that says Brent is to be named the HC today around 3 pm. He's obviously a good defensive get, but not sure he's the right guy to keep all the offensive talent from leaving.

Evidently, Brent's son posted something to this effect on Twitter.

Not saying you're wrong, but we'll see how this thread ages.

"I've got a good source...."

"Evidently, ....."

Reactions: newnasty
I've got a good source that says Brent is to be named the HC today around 3 pm.

Could you check back with your good source to see what happened and get back to us? Perhaps there was a mechanical issue or the flight navigation system wasn't working properly.

I think there was an account saying Belichick is sick of having less rings than Saban. He is going to go to Oklahoma, use Patrick Mahomes remaining eligibility when Oklahoma joins the SEC, just to show who the true ringmaster is. Brett McMurphy is waiting to pen the story.

• Haha
Reactions: Patriotgame
Venables is not a good fit for HC of OU at this time. Venables will have to work hard to put a team together. Dave Aranda, if available, is a much better immediately proven hire. With Joe Brady as OC. Brady is not a recruiter but has pedigree that can match Riley to some extent. He managed Joe Burrow and chartered the LSU offense in 2019. Hanging on to some of out offense that entered the portal is paramount. Forget the Cali guys. They will be playing for USC without a doubt.

Venables is not a good fit for HC of OU at this time. Venables will have to work hard to put a team together. Dave Aranda, if available, is a much better immediately proven hire. With Joe Brady as OC. Brady is not a recruiter but has pedigree that can match Riley to some extent. He managed Joe Burrow and chartered the LSU offense in 2019. Hanging on to some of out offense that entered the portal is paramount. Forget the Cali guys. They will be playing for USC without a doubt.
Is Joe Brady leaving the NFL for college as anything other than a head coach? I like Aranda as well and think that would be a good get on multiple levels.

Evidently he boarded the plane to Norman around 2:00 pm

It looks like the plane got lost and landed in Kansas instead of Oklahoma, so let us know when you hear back from your reliable source when it's headed this way.

Castigione needs to resolve this coaching hire by the weekend. There are at least three good candidates to choose from.
The recruiting effort needs to be resurrected and players on the roster need to assured there are better days ahead. Much better days.
Right now, I think Bob Stoops may ultimately be the key reason for OU moving on successfully, whether it's as a second gig as head coach or interim coach advising Castigione and the coaches and players who may want to stay.
I regard Bob Stoops as the best friend OU has right now. And what his influence can do to resolve things is as important as his tenure as head coach, in my opinion....especially with all OU has in its future with the SEC membership approaching.
If rumors are true that Riley and Castiglione were at odds with each other, Riley’s exit may have had to some extent a way of getting back at Castiglione. I say this as I watch Riley swaying players away from OU, whether it’s to USC or out of Norman.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wadl

No for me on Venables as well. Aim higher.

Most agree that BV would be a great hire. Our men's group got off task last night and OU football became the main discussion. All OU fans agreed that BV would be awesome. One guy who is from South Carolina made a good point. BV would make a great head coach, but when Saban retires and Dabo takes his spot, Clemson will be calling BV first. Do we want a coach that may leave in the near future? Football landscape is changing and Saban is old school, he may say to hell with this crap and retire. The path to the playoffs is much easier in the ACC than it would be in the SEC. I thought it was a valid point.

No for me on Venables as well. Aim higher.
Who would you consider as aiming higher? Dave Aranda? He may not want to go back to the SEC. He just saw his prior head coach fired less than 2 years removed from winning the whole enchilada. And that wasn't an aberration. Florida's HC was fired 1 year removed from making the conference title game. Auburn's HC was fired 2 years removed from winning an NC. Its not like the OU job would be like the Kentucky job that Mark Stoops has. Where getting to a bowl game and being competitive is enough to keep getting raises and maintaining your job. Its get 10 wins or say goodbye at a school like OU. I'd also note that while Aranda has certainly rebuilt Baylor into a defensive team, there are still real questions about his recruiting capability as well as whether he can sustain such success.

So beyond Aranda, and Fickle (who's been discussed thoroughly in other threads), who else would you consider as a better get than BV?

I trust the Don get to the right guy. I'm betting that it's all but wrapped up, but his button men are strategically releasing squirrels and laughing as the "insiders" behave like the dog in "Up".

Do you think they are intentionally misdirecting by releasing squirrels? Or are they actually releasing trial balloons to see what the public perception is of the idea (similar to what you see politicians do all the time) so as to know whether a decision would be met with optimism and satisfaction or pessimism.

Do you think they are intentionally misdirecting by releasing squirrels? Or are they actually releasing trial balloons to see what the public perception is of the idea (similar to what you see politicians do all the time) so as to know whether a decision would be met with optimism and satisfaction or pessimism.
I think trial balloons have been floating since Sunday…my biggest concern is our #1 guy on Joe’s list is available but doesn’t want to come and Joe’s #2 and/3 is tied with ccg this weekend do we have to wait

Just remember what it was like when he ultimately hired Stoops, if you're old enough to remember. There was stuff flying around about every name but his, most prominently Rick Neuheisel. I doubt very seriously that he is testing the waters of public opinion. His job is to get the right guy, and if he does, the fan approval will follow.

Who would you consider as aiming higher? Dave Aranda? He may not want to go back to the SEC. He just saw his prior head coach fired less than 2 years removed from winning the whole enchilada. And that wasn't an aberration. Florida's HC was fired 1 year removed from making the conference title game. Auburn's HC was fired 2 years removed from winning an NC. Its not like the OU job would be like the Kentucky job that Mark Stoops has. Where getting to a bowl game and being competitive is enough to keep getting raises and maintaining your job. Its get 10 wins or say goodbye at a school like OU. I'd also note that while Aranda has certainly rebuilt Baylor into a defensive team, there are still real questions about his recruiting capability as well as whether he can sustain such success.

So beyond Aranda, and Fickle (who's been discussed thoroughly in other threads), who else would you consider as a better get than BV?

Nothing personal against BV. I think if it were him we would akready know. I would just prefer that it be someone fresh that hasn't coached at OU before. Also Bob still has a hand somewhat in OU Football so is there bad blood there when he brought Mike back. BV left because of that so who knows. He is a lot of fans fav to get it, he just doesn't excite me.

As far as any Coach not wanting to tackle the SEC or afraid of it then we don't need them anyway. I feel its unlikey to be Fickle, if his team makes the playoffs I don't see him leaving before the playoffs are over which would be weeks from now. Venables might not want it for the same reasons you mentioned about all the firings in the SEC. The path to the playoffs is easier in the ACC and as I said yesterday Brent may want to take over at Clemson if and when Dabo ever goes to Bama.
Aranda could be the guy and they are waiting until after the CCG's are played to announce it.
I also feel it could be someone that has not been mentioned at all.

Reactions: loopafied68
Also if it was BV they wasted a golden opportunity to announce him last night at the basketball game, not to mention all the recruiting that he could be doing for OU instead of out recruiting for Clemson.

Nothing personal against BV. I think if it were him we would akready know. I would just prefer that it be someone fresh that hasn't coached at OU before. Also Bob still has a hand somewhat in OU Football so is there bad blood there when he brought Mike back. BV left because of that so who knows. He is a lot of fans fav to get it, he just doesn't excite me.

As far as any Coach not wanting to tackle the SEC or afraid of it then we don't need them anyway. I feel its unlikey to be Fickle, if his team makes the playoffs I don't see him leaving before the playoffs are over which would be weeks from now. Venables might not want it for the same reasons you mentioned about all the firings in the SEC. The path to the playoffs is easier in the ACC and as I said yesterday Brent may want to take over at Clemson if and when Dabo ever goes to Bama.
Aranda could be the guy and they are waiting until after the CCG's are played to announce it.
I also feel it could be someone that has not been mentioned at all.
If its Aranda, then I assume you'd be an OSU fan this weekend? I'd think it would be harder to pry Aranda away from Baylor if they are the reigning champs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT