ADVERTISEMENT

UT QBs are far to small for an option offense...

rkhufu7

Walk-on candidate
Aug 28, 2002
Swoopes is the only QB with and size. The guys behind him weigh in at 195, 188 and 185 or so. Look at the Buckeye's roster and their QBs are big guys 210 plus. Knight gets hurt a bunch because of his size, as does Boykin. I don't think UT runs their QBs as much as they say. Their offense will be more like USC, than OSU Buckeyes. If they do try and run an Oregon, OSU and Auburn type spread with their smallish QBs behind Swoopes, they are gonna be in for another long season.

Last edited:
Great, the OU version of utisdabomb.

It's not any crazier than having Knight or Mayfield running a Texas Tech offense. Interceptions waiting to happen. Pretty sure your own defense picked them off four or five times the other day.

Reactions: blh111
Facts

Jemelle Hollieway 5'11" 185
Dee Dowis 5' 10"
Major Harris 6' 1"
Eric Crouch 6'
Pat White 6'
Jack Mildren 6' 1"

Tyrone Swoopes 6' 4"
Jerrod Heard 6' 2"
Kai Locksley 6'4"
Matthew Merrick 6' 2"

Facts

Dee Dowis 5' 10"
Major Harris 6' 1"
Eric Crouch 6'
Pat White 6'
Jack Mildren 6' 1"

Tyrone Swoopes 6' 4"
Jerrod Heard 6' 2"
Kai Locksley 6'4"
Matthew Merrick 6' 2"

Well to be fair Mack, why didn't you list the size of the DB's and LB's that defended those option Q_B's 20+ years ago?

I thought Strong ran a pro-set style offense. He did at Louisville. Am I missing something on this option thing?

Reactions: Section22Sooner
Well to be fair Mack, why didn't you list the size of the DB's and LB's that defended those option Q_B's 20+ years ago?

I thought Strong ran a pro-set style offense. He did at Louisville. Am I missing something on this option thing?

I think you may be. First they are going to run a spread, not a n option offense. There will probably be some option built in but they also want to spread it out and incorporate both the pass and straight ahead running game.

Charlie thought he could come in and run a pound it out offense then he looked around the state and decided that since 95% of the Texas recruits grew up in a spread system it would probably be best to use that in his favor. So hurry up, spread it is.

I think you may be. First they are going to run a spread, not a n option offense. There will probably be some option built in but they also want to spread it out and incorporate both the pass and straight ahead running game.

Charlie thought he could come in and run a pound it out offense then he looked around the state and decided that since 95% of the Texas recruits grew up in a spread system it would probably be best to use that in his favor. So hurry up, spread it is.

Is he getting 95% recruits from Texas? Just a question. It seems like he has hit Florida and SEC country. It seems to be a major complaint from some Texas supporters.

BTW, Rufus, why did you call the Texas Q-B's option Q-b's instead of spread? Just curious.

Sounds like the same offense they ran last year.......Hopefully the same results...............:)

Reactions: Section22Sooner
Facts

Dee Dowis 5' 10"
Major Harris 6' 1"
Eric Crouch 6'
Pat White 6'
Jack Mildren 6' 1"

Tyrone Swoopes 6' 4"
Jerrod Heard 6' 2"
Kai Locksley 6'4"
Matthew Merrick 6' 2"
1980's, look at the QBs now, and Heard ain't 6'2", he's 6'1", 195, like a corner. The spread QBs are big, dual threat guys that can pass. UT QBs are far undersized.

Spread is the option, but with a passing game. The QBs are bigger guys that have to pass, so you won't see the smallish guys from the 70s and 80s. Manziel was a scrambler, not a zone read guy. Colt McCoy was knocked out a few games because of his size. Meyer has been very successful with the spread and he has 3 titles and took Utah to and undefeated season. He does not recruit the smallish QBs.

Swoopes is the only QB with and size. The guys behind him weigh in at 195, 188 and 185 or so. Look at the Buckeye's roster and their QBs are big guys 210 plus. Knight gets hurt a bunch because of his size, as does Boykin. I don't think UT runs their QBs as much as they say. Their offense will be more like USC, than OSU Buckeyes. If they do try and run an Oregon, OSU and Auburn type spread with their smallish QBs behind Swoopes, they are gonna be in for another long season.

I guess we're both in for a long season then because yours are as small or smaller than ours.

This debate on how big quarterbacks should be makes me wonder how Doug Flutie, at 5'9", would succeed if he played today. His days at Boston College aside, he did play pro ball in Canada and in the NFL with some degree of success against more athletes of size than in college ball.
I believe football at both the college and professional levels has become a big man's game, which I also attribute the increase in serious injuries over the past two decades. Athletes are bigger and faster now and collisions are far more damaging....and far more common....than ever before.
It is my opinion based on my own observation that there is also an intent-to-injure mentality that exists today....much more than in the past. Case in point.....check out Trevor Knight's injury in the Baylor game last season (by DE Shawn Oakman). This mentality in addition to the larger players, has made football more dangerous than ever.

I am saying that in 2015, your option/spread QB needs to have size to take hits as passers and runners. This is not the 80s, and with Urban Meyer being a guru of this type of system, I note that he has large QBs far over 200 pounds. I just wondered how UT was going to run the offense, if the TE/DE playing QB gets hurt and they have to depend on 180-195 lb QBs that they have backing him up.

Last edited:
Facts

Dee Dowis 5' 10"
Major Harris 6' 1"
Eric Crouch 6'
Pat White 6'
Jack Mildren 6' 1"

Tyrone Swoopes 6' 4"
Jerrod Heard 6' 2"
Kai Locksley 6'4"
Matthew Merrick 6' 2"

I find facts very confusing. Please stop!

LC----If you think Heard can lead you to the promise land this year you are likely wrong. Unless he finds lightening in the bottle and plays like BOYKIN 2014,(not likely) more than likely he plays like BOYKIN 2013, then TU is in deep crap like OU is if we don't get better QB play this fall. Both schools have a lot of question marks, it is just that OU has better RB's that might help us in the tight games where Texas doesn't have the great back on the field yet. WS

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT