ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer

The NFL has it down pretty good. Divisions within the conferences play each other every year and they play teams out of their division based on the previous year to match their record. You can't move forward to the playoffs until you prove yourself throughout the season, thus making conference play extremely important. Smarter peeps than myself can figure it out, but there has to be a 'will' to get it done. That will is not here yet. But I do see it developing. We have 4 teams now. A few years ago we had none. I guess it's baby steps.

The NFL doesn't have it down as far as regular season. And here is why, so teams who have the playoffs /Home field advantage sured up. The last regular season game doesn't mean anything......infact a waste of time to even watch. Several teams played players that are bench warmers. As a result fans that attend those games and pay good money to watch, but didn't get the product they paid for.

Regular season record in the NFL means nothing other than to make it to the playoffs. A 5 or more loss division Champion Automatically gets a home game. My point here is there is no since of urgency to win regular season games. The mighty Cowboys lost 3 games two of those games to the same team in their division and one in that meaningless game I was talking about. So apparently in the NFL regular season means nothing. Just win and get in and take some games off during the season it's ok.

Dallas fans are ok with that......just pray you don't have to play the Giants. Lol

Nothing is going to be perfect, but taking 5 conference champions And 3 at large teams would work. Heck even ol OSU would have possibly made it in under that format. Would make College Football a lot of fun. Just don't think it will happen.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
Did it look that bad on 17 Sept when they could have hung 60+ on OU if they hadn't taken the foot off the gas in the 2nd half? Lol ;)

I thought some of you would get the sarcasm.....that was a Jab at Urban for saying Indiana's Defense is better than OU's. Obviously not the same D you see Monday that Urban seen right?

Did it look that bad on 17 Sept when they could have hung 60+ on OU if they hadn't taken the foot off the gas in the 2nd half? Lol ;)
Well, yeah... but, there were 3 td catches that literally should have been intercepted by OU. Early. I watched it again last night, and it got ugly for sure, yet a few plays, very crucial ones without a doubt, and it is a completely different game. The defense was just pathetic.

OU had a lot more experience than tOSU in the defensive backfield. OU has a DC and a HC who played DB, have had some of the best DB's in college football, yet can't seem to get a guy on the field who can make a play on a ball? One play here, there, etc...

I don't think it was the Ohio State offense that was so great that day, as much as it was the OU defense that was so ridiculously pathetic...

The NFL doesn't have it down as far as regular season. And here is why, so teams who have the playoffs /Home field advantage sured up. The last regular season game doesn't mean anything......infact a waste of time to even watch. Several teams played players that are bench warmers. As a result fans that attend those games and pay good money to watch, but didn't get the product they paid for.

Regular season record in the NFL means nothing other than to make it to the playoffs. A 5 or more loss division Champion Automatically gets a home game. My point here is there is no since of urgency to win regular season games. The mighty Cowboys lost 3 games two of those games to the same team in their division and one in that meaningless game I was talking about. So apparently in the NFL regular season means nothing. Just win and get in and take some games off during the season it's ok.

Dallas fans are ok with that......just pray you don't have to play the Giants. Lol

Nothing is going to be perfect, but taking 5 conference champions And 3 at large teams would work. Heck even ol OSU would have possibly made it in under that format. Would make College Football a lot of fun. Just don't think it will happen.

I think you might be wrong in this. In fact, only TWO team sat players by design & it was the teams that had the most dominance REGULAR season games. Thus earning the right to do so. Dallas & New England. The balance of the play-off contenders played hard for home field advantage etc. Gren Bay / Detroit come to mind. New York / Wash is another. There were many others as well. In fact, this last two weeks in the NFL, the schedule is set for conference teams to play one another just to make sure the head to head component plays out. If Washington wins, they are in the playoffs, they lost so they went home.

Further, do you think playing some Div III at home is worthy of the ticket price that OU and all other programs charge their fans? I don't. But yet every year, every school dials up some buttercup out there and sells it to their fans. So much for regular season games meaning something.

This is nothing but a wasted week of play that could & should be used for a real play off.

Further, do you think playing some Div III at home is worthy of the ticket price that OU and all other programs charge their fans? I don't. But yet every year, every school dials up some buttercup out there and sells it to their fans. So much for regular season games meaning something.

This is nothing but a wasted week of play that could & should be used for a real play off.
I'm sure OU thought that way when they scheduled the Houston game thinking it would be a buttercup. I guess that was a wasted week of play?? But to say a team dials up a buttercup takes away from the regular season as a whole is ridiculous. 10 other games during the season. Myself, I would rather create super-conferences and do away with non-conference play. That would solve this dilemma.

Then how many games do you think a regular season should be? Then how many games are you proposing playing in a playoff??

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Then you can continue to watch pay per view of the ULMs of College Football. Not me. For OU and all of College Football to schedule these types of games is BS in today's world. Clearly this was, and is the way it's done. But it's a pure waste of a week of football, yet the Universities continue to dial them up for revenue.

I'd like to see nothing but conference games. The only out of conference games played is in a post season scenario.

Reactions: iasooner1
I don't think anyone at OU considered a Houston a buttercup. In fact, no 'buttercup' game would have been scheduled at NRG. Houston doesn't have the history of OU but it's far from the North Texas' of the college football landscape.

I don't think anyone at OU considered a Houston a buttercup. In fact, no 'buttercup' game would have been scheduled at NRG. Houston doesn't have the history of OU but it's far from the North Texas' of the college football landscape.
I guarantee you when the game was scheduled they weren't expecting Houston to be on the level they were. Not when they decided to schedule Ohio State in the same season. Houston has finished in the Top 25 twice in the last 25+ years. When the game was scheduled I will guarantee you it was looked at as a "buttercup/warmup" type game.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
This is not part of the thread, but I wanted to throw this in. Urban Meyer will do what it takes to win, he had had his share of real thugs.

Urban Meyer and his staff knew Hernandez was a risk.

Meyer knew that Hernandez had a troubled background and was at risk. In an interview with Bryant Gumbel, Meyer said he was concerned every time Hernandez went home, and coaches acknowledged that whenever he returned to Florida, he was "different." Players evidently warned Meyer to "watch" Hernandez. From the Gumbel interview:
Yes, but........ if we were in conference with them and played them year in and year out..... OU would be very competitive with them, that is why they did not win their conference.

Actually, OU bought out a buttercup school home game (forgot who with & not worth the time to google who it was) in order to complete the stadium renovation. Houston was the team they settled for when they went shopping. It was scheduled far after the tOSU game was. Houston was on they way back up after Briles took over. He left, Herman came in & UH was looking for a big boy game as they thought their program was back on the rise.

Reactions: iasooner1
Actually, OU bought out a buttercup school home game (forgot who with & not worth the time to google who it was) in order to complete the stadium renovation. Houston was the team they settled for when they went shopping. It was scheduled far after the tOSU game was. Houston was on they way back up after Briles took over. He left, Herman came in & UH was looking for a big boy game as they thought their program was back on the rise.
And we have seen that all the time when the little boys play big boys they go all out, nothing to lose but everthing to gain. Once again conference play they can struggle.

When it comes down to playoffs then you see what's left in the tank. Case and point the Alabama and OU.

Levine took over after Briles and Sumlin had been there. The 3 seasons prior to OU scheduling that game they went 5-7, 8-5, and 8-5. Houston was no better than mid-pack in Conference USA. The game with OU was scheduled before Herman arrived there.

I'm not faulting OU solely, but in the main CFB schedules buttercups. All schools do. Which I consider a waste of time, money, & offers potential injuries. I'm sure ticket season holders mark this game down as the one 'can't miss' game. :) This week should be cancelled across the board in CFB. I suspect that when a real playoff scenario takes place, this will occur as the week will be needed for real games.
OU buttercups past & future...
2011 Ball St
2012 Florida A&M
2013 ULM
2014 La. Tech
2015 Akron
2016 ULM

2017 UTEP
2018 Florida Atlantic
2019 TBA

UH > than these buttercups. Always has been and most likely always will be.

For the record OU has UH on the 2019 schedule as an OU home game. But hasn't scheduled their buttercup game yet.

Buttercups come, take their ass whipping, get a check that finances their school's athletic budget for the year and leave. It's the blue blood charity program that provides a scrimmage game for most...

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
I think you might be wrong in this. In fact, only TWO team sat players by design & it was the teams that had the most dominance REGULAR season games. Thus earning the right to do so. Dallas & New England. The balance of the play-off contenders played hard for home field advantage etc. Gren Bay / Detroit come to mind. New York / Wash is another. There were many others as well. In fact, this last two weeks in the NFL, the schedule is set for conference teams to play one another just to make sure the head to head component plays out. If Washington wins, they are in the playoffs, they lost so they went home.

Wrong, the Steelers sat their starters. New England played theirs vs Miami meanwhile Miami didn't play their starters. New England had to win to get homfield through out the playoffs. And them playing their starts vs Miami (who had already clinch no matter the outcome) made it very easy for New England to win. Several other teams that had clinched did the same thing. And yes the luckboys rested players as well. Regular season in the NFL really means nothing other than win enough games and your in.

Wrong, the Steelers sat their starters. New England played theirs vs Miami meanwhile Miami didn't play their starters. New England had to win to get homfield through out the playoffs. And them playing their starts vs Miami (who had already clinch no matter the outcome) made it very easy for New England to win. Several other teams that had clinched did the same thing. And yes the luckboys rested players as well. Regular season in the NFL really means nothing other than win enough games and your in.

and there you go. Win & you're in.

CFB... win and hope some so called panel of experts let's you in.

Huge difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT