ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Sooners for 2023

bcsoonerfan

Sooner starter
Aug 7, 2007
The 2023 season is weeks away so its time to get serious about talking football.

Give me your top 10 Sooners for the 2023 season based on whatever metric or criteria you deem worthy. I'll start:

1. Danny Stutsman - no Sooner made bigger strides of improvement in 2022 than Stutsman. I think he'll pick up where he left off and then some, leading a vastly improved defense.

2. Dasan McCullough - easily the biggest transfer portal addition, McCullough appears to be hand picked for the cheetah position and his athleticism alone is going to have him making plays all over the field. If he settles in quickly he could be #1 on the list.

3. Dillon Gabriel - I'm expecting significant stability improvement from Gabriel who actually had a solid season, though much maligned by many (myself included) at times. He knows this scheme and will make the right decisions without the hesitation we saw last season.

4. Isaiah Coe - Another who made large strides, will be a force in the middle after another offseason with Schmitty.

5. Gavin Sawchuk - I'm that confident in Sawchuk that I'll put him this high on the list. Barnes will be good but I believe Sawchuk's versatility will give DG a much needed weapon in the receiving game. He has instinctual abilities that will make him a big play threat.

6. Austin Stogner - Another guy who will be crucial to the offense with uncertainties in the receiving game. He wont likely be the play maker he once was but he will give DG a big body to throw to in the middle of the field and the redzone.

7. Ethan Downs - He is far from the most talented guy on the field but he is disciplined and has the motor. He'll share reps more this season, which is good, but he'll be the guy on the field when a big stop is needed.

8. Tyler Guyton - The next in line of Sooner OLinemen drafted high. With some uncertainty at OL entering the season, he'll quickly prove to be a rock in run and pass blocking.

9. Billy Bowman - Year 3 for Bowman proves to be his breakout. He has been steady but in year 2 in Venables scheme everything comes together.

10. Gracen Halton - BV loaded up on upper classmen depth from the transfer portal on the DL, but I believe Halton is going to explode. He is a beast physically and is going to be the interior playmaker we've been missing for so long.

A few notes:

- this was incredibly difficult to narrow down, there are a ton of guys who could be on here when you really look at this roster

- i had a very difficult time not finding a spot for Peyton Bowen, PJ Adebawore, Reggie Pearson, Woodi Washington, R Mason Thomas, Jovante Barnes, Jalil Farooq, Trace Ford, Jaren Kanak, Jacob Lacey, Key Lawrence, Drake Stoops, and Walter Rouse.

- Cayden Greene and Josh Bates are two names to keep an eye on imo. Raym is solid but often injured and Greene's physicality was apparent in the spring.

The 2023 season is weeks away so its time to get serious about talking football.

Give me your top 10 Sooners for the 2023 season based on whatever metric or criteria you deem worthy. I'll start:

1. Danny Stutsman - no Sooner made bigger strides of improvement in 2022 than Stutsman. I think he'll pick up where he left off and then some, leading a vastly improved defense.

2. Dasan McCullough - easily the biggest transfer portal addition, McCullough appears to be hand picked for the cheetah position and his athleticism alone is going to have him making plays all over the field. If he settles in quickly he could be #1 on the list.

3. Dillon Gabriel - I'm expecting significant stability improvement from Gabriel who actually had a solid season, though much maligned by many (myself included) at times. He knows this scheme and will make the right decisions without the hesitation we saw last season.

4. Isaiah Coe - Another who made large strides, will be a force in the middle after another offseason with Schmitty.

5. Gavin Sawchuk - I'm that confident in Sawchuk that I'll put him this high on the list. Barnes will be good but I believe Sawchuk's versatility will give DG a much needed weapon in the receiving game. He has instinctual abilities that will make him a big play threat.

6. Austin Stogner - Another guy who will be crucial to the offense with uncertainties in the receiving game. He wont likely be the play maker he once was but he will give DG a big body to throw to in the middle of the field and the redzone.

7. Ethan Downs - He is far from the most talented guy on the field but he is disciplined and has the motor. He'll share reps more this season, which is good, but he'll be the guy on the field when a big stop is needed.

8. Tyler Guyton - The next in line of Sooner OLinemen drafted high. With some uncertainty at OL entering the season, he'll quickly prove to be a rock in run and pass blocking.

9. Billy Bowman - Year 3 for Bowman proves to be his breakout. He has been steady but in year 2 in Venables scheme everything comes together.

10. Gracen Halton - BV loaded up on upper classmen depth from the transfer portal on the DL, but I believe Halton is going to explode. He is a beast physically and is going to be the interior playmaker we've been missing for so long.

A few notes:

- this was incredibly difficult to narrow down, there are a ton of guys who could be on here when you really look at this roster

- i had a very difficult time not finding a spot for Peyton Bowen, PJ Adebawore, Reggie Pearson, Woodi Washington, R Mason Thomas, Jovante Barnes, Jalil Farooq, Trace Ford, Jaren Kanak, Jacob Lacey, Key Lawrence, Drake Stoops, and Walter Rouse.

- Cayden Greene and Josh Bates are two names to keep an eye on imo. Raym is solid but often injured and Greene's physicality was apparent in the spring.
The pieces are all falling into place. 😁

BOOMER!

Reactions: iasooner2000
The pieces are all falling into place. 😁

BOOMER!

I really do like this roster. I think it's a big stretch to think this team can compete for a national title, but every game on the schedule is winnable. Early stumbles are my concern. The chemistry could create a freight train by late October if the OL comes together, health is in our favor and the DL finds its disrptors.

I really do like this roster. I think it's a big stretch to think this team can compete for a national title, but every game on the schedule is winnable. Early stumbles are my concern. The chemistry could create a freight train by late October if the OL comes together, health is in our favor and the DL finds its disrptors.
We'll be ready for sec imo. Recruits/portal transfers know this also. We're the Oklahoma Sooners.

OUr defense is the cog in the wheel for '23. Absolutely has to be imo. For this reason I see OUr offense geared more towards the running game with Barnes and Sawchuck exploding big-time. Oh, Dillon will get chunks through the air no doubt he's that good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT