ADVERTISEMENT

Through the first 25% of the season...

Yes but Bama hasn't had one of the worst D's in the country the last several years either. I agree that they may be a little overrated, but I think, and understandably so, that OU has more to prove on that side of the ball.

Right, the fact that OU's defense is in the same arena as Bama's is an updated baseline showing the improvement of the OU defense.

Reactions: iasooner1
Although Texas is nowhere near an elite team right now, especially with its injury list, lots of questions will be answered in OU's game with them.
The schedule after Texas does not appear too challenging until the OSU game in Stillwater and perhaps with Kansas State in Manhattan.
Baylor is 4-0 with its usual drag queen non-conference schedule and narrow wins over Rice (21-13) and Iowa State (23-21).
Iowa State is 2-2 with two tough losses to Iowa and Baylor and two easy wins over Northern Iowa and La.-Monroe. Plus, the Game's in Norman.
West Virginia is 3-1 with a blowout loss to Missouri and close wins over James Madison and Kansas and a ho-hum win over NC State, plus the game's in Norman.
TCU is 3-1 with a tough loss to a resurgent SMU team (41-38), but wins over Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Purdue and Kansas are not impressive, plus the game's in Norman.
Kansas is.....Kansas. Should be a good tune up for Texas and more quality time for the younger players.
I think that the last five games are all losable games. We're better than everybody left on the schedule. But Iowa State proved two years ago, that anything can happen. (by the way, Iowa State's win over Northern Iowa went double overtime, so it wasn't exactly an easy win) TCU is good enough to beat us. West Virginia would have to improve a bunch to beat us in Norman.

OSU is good enough, especially in Stillwater. Baylor down there, it's a possibility, not likely, but not impossible. KState is good enough. They played OSU the worst week possible. And the Wildcats at home, will challenge OU for at least a while. And I think KState's way of doing things is perhaps the best way for a conference team to beat OU.

If OU gets past Dallas undefeated, for the first time since 2011, KState and OSU have the best chance to beat the Sooners, IMO.

You are saying that our defense is on par with Bama's this year? Maybe I read that wrong

I wish, but no. Although I agree with you, Bama's defense has looked not as good this year. My point is the defensive stats, regardless of opponents, are drastically better than last year. More importantly, IMO, the eye test shows improvement. It's a start. I am one of those which believes with the offense OU has, their defense does not have to be out of this world. I am not settling, but pointing out with an offense like that a defense can look a lot better than what they really are.

Yes but Bama hasn't had one of the worst D's in the country the last several years either. I agree that they may be a little overrated, but I think, and understandably so, that OU has more to prove on that side of the ball.

Dang brother. This isn't last year's defense.... at all. You can sit on your hands and be all stuffy about it if you want, but that aint how I roll. When I see bad, I bitch. When I see good, I applaud. Last year we all had plenty to bitch about. This year, not much YET. I say yet because when they fail... and they will... you'll be the first to open up a store selling T-Shirts that read... I told you so.

BTW, what do you think is the weakest position on the defense? The strongest?

What OUr defense has done to this point is provide quality evidence for hope. But we've all heard that "they haven't played anybody yet." And that's true.

It's fair to say, "I'm optimistic. I applaud the performance until now."

But it is also fair to say, "They really ain't done it yet."

The great thing about OUr defense, is that they might not have to be as good as Bama's, or Clemson's, or Ohio State's, or LSU's.

Might. I'm pretty sure we're better this year. Better enough to make the playoff and win a game or two? That's still up in the air.

Still early. Good that OU has played relatively weak teams so far as the new defense cuts it's teeth and go thru the learning curves. As long as the defense keeps improving and is ready for tougher tests as the season progresses. So far I'm pretty happy with the defense.

Same holds true for the OL. They are starting to gel...so the offense numbers may actually begin to rise some. Seems like Hurts is hitting a passing groove.

Dang brother. This isn't last year's defense.... at all. You can sit on your hands and be all stuffy about it if you want, but that aint how I roll. When I see bad, I bitch. When I see good, I applaud. Last year we all had plenty to bitch about. This year, not much YET. I say yet because when they fail... and they will... you'll be the first to open up a store selling T-Shirts that read... I told you so.

BTW, what do you think is the weakest position on the defense? The strongest?

Again, lets not get too happy comparing this year to last year...and the year before...and before. They may be better this year, but are they good enough to stop Texas, Bama, Clemson, or any other good team? We don't know yet. Its easy to look good against South Dakota. All I'm saying is I want to see them play some good, even decent teams first before I jump the gun. I would not be a bit surprised to see the middle of the field open all day long in the RRR.

Reactions: Plainosooner
Again, lets not get too happy comparing this year to last year...and the year before...and before. They may be better this year, but are they good enough to stop Texas, Bama, Clemson, or any other good team? We don't know yet. Its easy to look good against South Dakota. All I'm saying is I want to see them play some good, even decent teams first before I jump the gun. I would not be a bit surprised to see the middle of the field open all day long in the RRR.

Wait. No. What you are assuming is that I and others have stated the defense is on the same level as Bama, Clemson. This was not stated anywhere in this thread... by anyone. In fact, since the original post, the entire thread is about the defense being an IMPROVEMENT over LAST YEAR. Some thing that you clearly have doubted and/or too proud to say they are.

Wait. No. What you are assuming is that I and others have stated the defense is on the same level as Bama, Clemson. This was not stated anywhere in this thread... by anyone. In fact, since the original post, the entire thread is about the defense being an IMPROVEMENT over LAST YEAR. Some thing that you clearly have doubted and/or too proud to say they are.

uhhh wait....you are assuming that I think others have stated that we are as good as Bama and Clemson? What????? You must be reading something into this. I said we probably have improved, but not sure we can stop a really good team. We'll see next Saturday.

Some observations...Bama I'd not playing up to their usual D standards primarily because, due to injuries, they are starting 4 true freshmen in their front 7. Ole Miss ran for 279 yards on them & the Rebels aren't very good this year. Three teams in the playoff worthy list have played quality opponents; Auburn/Oregon, Georgia/ND, & LSU/UT. The 2 finalists from last year have not although some might consider A&M a worthy opponent for Clemson. Every potential playoff worthy team seems to have a flaw or flaws but the 2 in my opinion who have the least are TOSU & OU. Personally, I think by the end of the year, as the D and O-line continue to improve, this will be the best squad HCLR has fielded and will be a legitimate contender for the NC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT