ADVERTISEMENT

Through the first 25% of the season...

Texas Tech played with a backup quarterback of minimal skills so I'm not ready to say if this year's defense has elevated itself significantly from 2019. The weakness of the schedule so far won't allow me to make an accurate assessment.
Up next is another weak team in Kansas, losers to TCU today, 51-14.
Texas will be a tough game and it's good that Riley has played many new defenders so far for depth purposes. But I haven't seen a Sooner defense so far in 2019 that can contain QB Ehlinger, who had 386 total yards last October and 391 yards in the Big 12 title game. On paper OU should be favored against Texas, just as it's been the past 6 years....with Texas winning 3 of those games and playing OU close in the other 3.
Otherwise, there have been too many penalties by OU....33 for 352 yards in four games, an average per game of 8 penalties and 88 yards. Against good teams, this could be spell defeat.

Texas Tech played with a backup quarterback of minimal skills so I'm not ready to say if this year's defense has elevated itself significantly from 2019. The weakness of the schedule so far won't allow me to make an accurate assessment.
Texas will be a tough game and it's good that Riley has played many new defenders so far for depth purposes. But I haven't seen a Sooner defense so far in 2019 that can contain QB Ehlinger, who had 386 total yards last October and 391 yards in the Big 12 title game. On paper OU should be favored against Texas, just as it's been the past 6 years....with Texas winning 3 of those games and playing OU close in the other 3.
Otherwise, there have been too many penalties by OU....33 for 352 yards in four games, an average per game of 8 penalties and 88 yards. Against good teams, this could be spell defeat.

Don’t be too critical of this defense. Give them time to sort things out. There is not one tough team left...including the boogie man Shorthorns x 2. We run the table.

Has OU not won 4 out of 7 games against Texas in the last 6 years? And who cares which team is favored in the RRR? It doesn't matter in this game. Also, have back up qb's not had career games against OU in recent years? If you are slow to assess that is on you, the team is improving each week.

At one point late in the game I think the announcers said tech was 1 for 11 on 3rd down conversions today.
When was the last time that happened vs a conference foe? Long time I am guessing. How many times in the past did we give up big yards on a 3rd and long or a 4th down?
And as far as tech having a back up qb today that was usually a guaratee that it would be a shootout and it wasn't.

I am not saying this D is a monster or anything close but it does for now have a pulse again and thats got me excited about it. Didn't scream at my TV today not one time when the D was out there, thats a plus!
Given time I think Grinch will give us a D we have all wanted for a long time now and so far he has it headed in the right direction.
Anything beats what we had and may take more time than most would like for Grinch to Coach Mike out of them. :D

At one point late in the game I think the announcers said tech was 1 for 11 on 3rd down conversions today.
When was the last time that happened vs a conference foe? Long time I am guessing. How many times in the past did we give up big yards on a 3rd and long or a 4th down?
And as far as tech having a back up qb today that was usually a guaratee that it would be a shootout and it wasn't.

I am not saying this D is a monster or anything close but it does for now have a pulse again and thats got me excited about it. Didn't scream at my TV today not one time when the D was out there, thats a plus!
Given time I think Grinch will give us a D we have all wanted for a long time now and so far he has it headed in the right direction.
Anything beats what we had and may take more time than most would like for Grinch to Coach Mike out of them. :D
Indeed. This D so far has shown the ability to preserve a lead and let the offense get the route going. Showed some rust on opening day against a good mid-major, with a good coach, but we've also seen a 48-14 win and a 55-16 win, both of which, in years past, likely would have been in the area of 52-35, with the good fortune of having an O that could stay above water while the D cratered.

Has OU not won 4 out of 7 games against Texas in the last 6 years? And who cares which team is favored in the RRR? It doesn't matter in this game. Also, have back up qb's not had career games against OU in recent years? If you are slow to assess that is on you, the team is improving each week.
In the last six years, every OU-Texas game has been close with OU losing three of these games with better talent.
Where did I say I cared who's favored in the RRR ?
Some back up QB's have had career games against OU....but what's that got to do with Texas Tech's back up QB ?
Never said this team was not improving because it clearly is. My point is that it's hard to say how good its defense is given the soft schedule so far.
Calm down.

In the last six years, every OU-Texas game has been close with OU losing three of these games with better talent.
Where did I say I cared who's favored in the RRR ?
Some back up QB's have had career games against OU....but what's that got to do with Texas Tech's back up QB ?
Never said this team was not improving because it clearly is. My point is that it's hard to say how good its defense is given the soft schedule so far.
Calm down.

My point is the fact that two back up qb's failed today against OU is proof the defense is improving; see results in similar circumstances from the past couple of years. My other point is it is not hard to see how good the defense is or how good they can become. I am calm and confident in the team and the coaching staff, I am not the one criticizing what I cannot see or counting the number of years since the last National Championship. It could always be worse, you could be a longhorn fan .

Reactions: OUSOONER67
My point is the fact that two back up qb's failed today against OU is proof the defense is improving; see results in similar circumstances from the past couple of years. My other point is it is not hard to see how good the defense is or how good they can become. I am calm and confident in the team and the coaching staff, I am not the one criticizing what I cannot see or counting the number of years since the last National Championship. It could always be worse, you could be a longhorn fan .
I said in my latest post that the defense IS improving.
My observation about the defense is not negative criticism. I’ve said in other threads that it’s still a work in process and I have liked Riley’s policy of developing depth by playing many players, unlike his predecessor.
Maybe you should focus on talking football instead of being confrontational when there’s no need to be.

I said in my latest post that the defense IS improving.
My observation about the defense is not negative criticism. I’ve said in other threads that it’s still a work in process and I have liked Riley’s policy of developing depth by playing many players, unlike his predecessor.
Maybe you should focus on talking football instead of being confrontational when there’s no need to be.
Nah I am good, and this is not confrontational. I am talking football too.

I did take away one thing from the game today that surprised me. It appears we cannot run the football nearly as well as in the past couple of years; your thoughts? I also keep getting more and more pressed with Jalen. I thought he had his best game today. When he read the corner blitz pre snap and immediately rolled out and ran, it stood out how smart he is. I loved the defensive intensity. I felt like after the cheap shot on Brooks the defense took on the challenge and found another level. Finally I believe Coaches Riley and Grinch are holding a bunch of stuff back.

And to think some people here didn't want Mike fired.
cd8c39c133b8c1e2f7c72697342043d0.jpg

Nah I am good, and this is not confrontational. I am talking football too.

I did take away one thing from the game today that surprised me. It appears we cannot run the football nearly as well as in the past couple of years; your thoughts? I also keep getting more and more pressed with Jalen. I thought he had his best game today. When he read the corner blitz pre snap and immediately rolled out and ran, it stood out how smart he is. I loved the defensive intensity. I felt like after the cheap shot on Brooks the defense took on the challenge and found another level. Finally I believe Coaches Riley and Grinch are holding a bunch of stuff back.
The offensive line is a retooling mode with 4 of 5 starters gone from last year. That has to be the main factor for the running game not being as good, even with the same backs and the addition of Stevenson.
Hurts gets better each game and I’m eager to see how he does against Texas.
Agree on the cheap shot on Brooks and how the defense responded to it. I want to know more of Brooks’ status.
Riley and Grinch may have some new wrinkles in the works. Maybe we will see them on October 12.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
How do we really know that? We have played nobody with any kind of offense whatsoever. I want to see how they react when they get punched in the mouth.

The Tech backup QB had a decent outing against us last year, correct? It seems though the tech O coordinated very conservatively today. Not that many down field throws, etc. that I recall. I'm hoping that had something to do with our D-Line though. I think you are correct though, TX will tell us plenty. They have the receivers and QB to push the ball down field. Even though they lost to LSU, their offense had a decent showing especially in the air. I think LSU has the athletes on D to play on Sunday's. As far as our secondary, I doubt that is the case.

One statistic that was mentioned during the game was that OU defended against 1,046 plays last year ranking it #4. It wasn't that the defense was totally bad but that the OU offense scored so quickly that the defense had to be on the field more. Unless there is decent depth rotations become difficult. I see Grinch improving that depth in the future and I see he is getting our young'ins some playing time. The will bode well for the remainder of the season.

Reactions: iasooner1
Things are definitely trending upward. But nothing has really been proven yet. Tech's offense was pretty bad today. They were missing their quarterback, and neither of his backups could throw well consistently. I was surprised that they started the Rice transfer. Duffy has played pretty well against us in the past, but by the time he got in, it was already 14-0, and OUr D had a lot of momentum.

There are conference teams who will challenge us. If Texas gets any running backs, healthier, and some depth at the position, and gets their best receiver back, they'll be tough. We also haven't had a game yet, where the other team can audible easily. We had as many fans in the Rose Bowl as UCLA, and the other three were at home. Not likely to be a lot different in Lawrence next weekend. Texas will at least test us. They have a solid line and Ehlinger is playing the best he's played in his career.

Colin Johnson will likely be back by the RRR, and Duvernay has been really good so far. They have a half dozen quality receivers, and the true freshman, Smith has shown some athleticism and explosiveness. And really good hands. If we change the result from last year against, Texas, I'll be a little more willing to be really encouraged by the defense. They look really solid. But we really haven' t played anybody close to a difference maker yet.

How do we really know that? We have played nobody with any kind of offense whatsoever. I want to see how they react when they get punched in the mouth.

So you're posting to the board that you can not see the improvement over last year? Correct?

Things are definitely trending upward. But nothing has really been proven yet. Tech's offense was pretty bad today. They were missing their quarterback, and neither of his backups could throw well consistently. I was surprised that they started the Rice transfer. Duffy has played pretty well against us in the past, but by the time he got in, it was already 14-0, and OUr D had a lot of momentum.

There are conference teams who will challenge us. If Texas gets any running backs, healthier, and some depth at the position, and gets their best receiver back, they'll be tough. We also haven't had a game yet, where the other team can audible easily. We had as many fans in the Rose Bowl as UCLA, and the other three were at home. Not likely to be a lot different in Lawrence next weekend. Texas will at least test us. They have a solid line and Ehlinger is playing the best he's played in his career.

Colin Johnson will likely be back by the RRR, and Duvernay has been really good so far. They have a half dozen quality receivers, and the true freshman, Smith has shown some athleticism and explosiveness. And really good hands. If we change the result from last year against, Texas, I'll be a little more willing to be really encouraged by the defense. They look really solid. But we really haven' t played anybody close to a difference maker yet.

I think what you're saying is that this year's defense did a better job against Duffy than in the past. And I think basically... that's what I said in the OP. Look, this defense has along way to go, no doubt about it. It is not a Championship defense yet. But most can see a clear difference in the performance of play. The defense can't control who they play, only how they play them. And so far, they've played them well enough that it didn't come down to the last defensive series or last defensive play of the game. With 25% of the first year of Grinch as DC completed, I'm good.

So you're posting to the board that you can not see the improvement over last year? Correct?

oh I'm sorry I didn't realize I had to get your permission to post my opinion. You want to believe they are better this year then thats great. You might be right, but I'm waiting until I see them play somebody with a pulse.

I think what you're saying is that this year's defense did a better job against Duffy than in the past. And I think basically... that's what I said in the OP. Look, this defense has along way to go, no doubt about it. It is not a Championship defense yet. But most can see a clear difference in the performance of play. The defense can't control who they play, only how they play them. And so far, they've played them well enough that it didn't come down to the last defensive series or last defensive play of the game. With 25% of the first year of Grinch as DC completed, I'm good.
Absolutely a seeable difference. All I want is a top four team and then see how you do.

OU is one of the four best teams in the country, IMO, but unlikely to be consensus top four for a while. And the improved defense is part of that real status, if not perceived status yet. Ohio State is likely to be ahead of us in both polls this week, even though Nebraska is not nearly as good as their historic position might represent.

I want to see how we look against a team whose offense can play. So far, we really haven't had that opportunity. OUr schedule this year, has most of the competitive conference games, except Texas, in the last five games.

Horns in two weeks. The the final five are at KState, Iowa State, at Baylor, TCU, and Bedlam in Stillwater. The OSU game might end up being for a trip to Jerry World. And if they stay reasonably healthy, the Cowboys will be good on offense, especially up there.

My gut says that this Sooner team has a chance to be the best of the last decade. But still a lot of proving to do.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
There is one marker that provides an indication of where we are better, the same or worse....RED ZONE DEFENSE. We ranked dead last all of last year including games against far lesser talented teams. We held Tech to 2 or 3 fourth down turnovers and forced 3 FGs that would have been TDs last year. There is an improvement in the defense. Half full or half empty???

There is one marker that provides an indication of where we are better, the same or worse....RED ZONE DEFENSE. We ranked dead last all of last year including games against far lesser talented teams. We held Tech to 2 or 3 fourth down turnovers and forced 3 FGs that would have been TDs last year. There is an improvement in the defense. Half full or half empty???
Although Texas is nowhere near an elite team right now, especially with its injury list, lots of questions will be answered in OU's game with them.
The schedule after Texas does not appear too challenging until the OSU game in Stillwater and perhaps with Kansas State in Manhattan.
Baylor is 4-0 with its usual drag queen non-conference schedule and narrow wins over Rice (21-13) and Iowa State (23-21).
Iowa State is 2-2 with two tough losses to Iowa and Baylor and two easy wins over Northern Iowa and La.-Monroe. Plus, the Game's in Norman.
West Virginia is 3-1 with a blowout loss to Missouri and close wins over James Madison and Kansas and a ho-hum win over NC State, plus the game's in Norman.
TCU is 3-1 with a tough loss to a resurgent SMU team (41-38), but wins over Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Purdue and Kansas are not impressive, plus the game's in Norman.
Kansas is.....Kansas. Should be a good tune up for Texas and more quality time for the younger players.

Reactions: Plainosooner
oh I'm sorry I didn't realize I had to get your permission to post my opinion. You want to believe they are better this year then thats great. You might be right, but I'm waiting until I see them play somebody with a pulse.

Just in case there is any confusion going forward, when/If you start to believe the defense is improving over last year, let us know. :D

Although Texas is nowhere near an elite team right now, especially with its injury list, lots of questions will be answered in OU's game with them.
The schedule after Texas does not appear too challenging until the OSU game in Stillwater and perhaps with Kansas State in Manhattan.
Baylor is 4-0 with its usual drag queen non-conference schedule and narrow wins over Rice (21-13) and Iowa State (23-21).
Iowa State is 2-2 with two tough losses to Iowa and Baylor and two easy wins over Northern Iowa and La.-Monroe. Plus, the Game's in Norman.
West Virginia is 3-1 with a blowout loss to Missouri and close wins over James Madison and Kansas and a ho-hum win over NC State, plus the game's in Norman.
TCU is 3-1 with a tough loss to a resurgent SMU team (41-38), but wins over Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Purdue and Kansas are not impressive, plus the game's in Norman.
Kansas is.....Kansas. Should be a good tune up for Texas and more quality time for the younger players.

CT it seems like every year one of these teams jumps up and gets us when we least expect it. I just hope we can maintain focus throughout the entire season. I think having Hurts as the QB is huge from a leadership perspective

CT it seems like every year one of these teams jumps up and gets us when we least expect it. I just hope we can maintain focus throughout the entire season. I think having Hurts as the QB is huge from a leadership perspective
In almost every year of my life, OU always has at least one game a year in which it is either upset or barely escapes a loss from a lesser opponent.
Colorado scared us in 1956.
Texas upset us in 1958.
Kansas scared us in 1967.
Missouri played us tough in 1971.
Colorado upset us in 1972.
Kansas stunned us in 1975.
Kansas scared us in 1978.
OSU scared us in 2000.
And so on.......

Well is improving over last year really something to brag about? Of course they have improved since then. They were basically dead last

Oklahoma's defense allowed about 454 yards a game last year. For this year they are allowing approximately 344 yards a game. Last year Alabama allowed about 324 yards a game and this year they are about 326 yards a game. I agree they essentially had no where to go but up, but they are. Further the improvment is noticeable in areas where they had lacked for years. Bottom line, everything OU fans were screaming for on the defensive side is happening. I do not care that they have played a weak schedule, that had been the case previously and the defense couldnt manage. Texas doesn't scare me but I respect the rivalry aspect of it. I don't expect OU to shut them out, but I do expect them to cause pressure, force decisions, and actually make a stop. With OUr offense the defense doesn't have to be great (yet).

Oklahoma's defense allowed about 454 yards a game last year. For this year they are allowing approximately 344 yards a game. Last year Alabama allowed about 324 yards a game and this year they are about 326 yards a game. I agree they essentially had no where to go but up, but they are. Further the improvment is noticeable in areas where they had lacked for years. Bottom line, everything OU fans were screaming for on the defensive side is happening. I do not care that they have played a weak schedule, that had been the case previously and the defense couldnt manage. Texas doesn't scare me but I respect the rivalry aspect of it. I don't expect OU to shut them out, but I do expect them to cause pressure, force decisions, and actually make a stop. With OUr offense the defense doesn't have to be great (yet).

We haven't played anyone decent yet. Easy to look good against South Dakota and a Tech team with a 3rd string QB. Tech only scored 14 against Arizona and they had their starting QB for the most part. Lets not get too excited too easily here

OU is 1 of 10 teams in the nation to not have given up a point in the 1st quarter this year. The front seven is playing great football, Galimore is playing for draft spots and he keeps rising each week. I could see him going in the first round with hustle plays like the other day.

We haven't played anyone decent yet. Easy to look good against South Dakota and a Tech team with a 3rd string QB. Tech only scored 14 against Arizona and they had their starting QB for the most part. Lets not get too excited too easily here

Bama hasn't played the strongest offensive schedule either. That was kinda the point of including their position in the post. Additionally, Bama is annointed to have top notch defensive players is a defensive minded program/conference.

Bama hasn't played the strongest offensive schedule either. That was kinda the point of including their position in the post. Additionally, Bama is annointed to have top notch defensive players is a defensive minded program/conference.

Yes but Bama hasn't had one of the worst D's in the country the last several years either. I agree that they may be a little overrated, but I think, and understandably so, that OU has more to prove on that side of the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT