ADVERTISEMENT

Thought Experiment: Would you contribute to an NIL fund

How much would you contribute to an NIL fund?

• I wouldn't contribute

Votes: 73 25.3%
  • $5 a month

Votes: 27 9.4%
  • $10 a month

Votes: 51 17.7%
  • $15 a month

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • $20 a month

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Just want to see the results

Votes: 26 9.0%

• Total voters

melodicmarc

Sooner signee
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2017
After hearing Gabe talk about it, I began to wonder about the math behind it. I'm never going to start one of these or take your money, but I am curious how feasible it is and I personally might contribute to one if I trusted whoever was running it. Some interesting numbers, there are 650k twitter followers for OU football. Let's assume that only 5% of them would be willing to pay $20 a month. That's around 38 thousand people. $20 per month would be $240 per year. 38 thousand people paying that would be 9.12 million dollars. If we assume that 30 mil is the number we need to get at to be competitive with the other top schools, then this is almost 33% of that, which would leave 66% to businesses and big money donors. Now I don't think this is very realistic that this would ever happen because laws and rules will definitely be changed over the coming years, but I am curious how many people would actually contribute if this actually did start happening. I also doubt that you could get 38k people to pay, and that number would be closer to 5 or 10k. Anyone else have any thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News