ADVERTISEMENT

This is the "I'm sorry" thread

Then, fortworth, this is where we disagree. If you believe my statements to be a "figment of my imagination", then I would in turn say that you have a blind eye to a certain extent. Sanchez is far from the first Sooner to receive undue criticism the past few seasons, and there was a multitude of posts from one poster being redundantly critical of Sanchez. And when asked to defend his remarks, he blatantly ignored any and all requests to do so.

And when an opinion of certain opinions are expressed, even without insult, accusations like "your drunk", "your obsessed with me" or "go play video games" aren't conducive to civil debate.

I have been critical of Sanchez and quite frankly just from observation, I think he is a maverick. In my opinion, he goes for the big play at the expense of getting burned.

Am I right? Maybe not...I never played or coached a corner so perhaps this is the way to play it. It just seems that he is getting burned more than I would expect from an elite player.

Been said before and it still holds true. There are different groups of posters on this message board. One group (a handful), demands that posters keep all things OU sacred, which in their mind means that no one is permitted to be critical of a coach or player unless THEY feel like doing it themselves. And they justify doing so because THEY understand the game of football more than other members of the board. They use words like asshole, dumb ass, douche bag, stupid, and idiot to describe those that are in the other, smaller group. That particular small group "dares" to challenge the first group, and they pick at the sore because they know that eventually those in group one will crack and go to using phrases like or similar to "eat shit", "you don't know the first thing about football", "feel your own dick", "fellate yourself", "you obviously are ignorant or utterly stupid". Then group one does exactly what group two does. They challenge group two, e.g., "bring it on", which group two comes back with "are you drunk", knowing that the sore is now wide open. So as in the thread about the Baylor QB, a simple post "we have a long history of making inexperienced QB's look like AA" turns into a 4 page thread that shouldn't have be allowed to go beyond page 1. Yet another group, which IMO is the larger group stays away from threads like this when it gets so filthy and rude. Members of that group seem to know when to stop trying to make their point and just go on without becoming so upset about what someone else feels about the subject. I haven't posted in over a week because I didn't feel like I could add to any thread, but I have been following the board and have "liked" posts written by members of all groups. I'm not defending any poster in group 1 or 2, and I am on record as saying that I don't think Bob Stoops will win another national championship at OU. But I also feel and have posted that I can't think of another coach that OU could bring to Norman that would be better than Coach Stoops. If there is one out there that is better and OU could hire, I don't know who he is. I've asked the board and haven't gotten any name that I would want more than Bob. I guess some would say that I am just riding the fence. I don't see it that way. Its my opinion, and everyone is entitled to their opinion without being demonized, ridiculed, and made to feel that they need to just forget about the Sooner Message Board. That is too bad....and sucks. It doesn't have to be that way.

How about John Grass or Justin Fuente or Gary Patterson or any number of others. No one will be a sure thing and there is no question about what Coach Stoops has done for the university as well as the manner in which he has done it. As I have stated before (I agree with oklabama) I do not think Coach Stoops will win another MNC and am willing to go through another hiring process understanding it could be John Blake or Bob Stoops. I did not play football past middle school, I did not attend/graduate OU and I have only been lucky enough to coach some of my kids teams (not football). So please disregard everything I am typing but also do not worry about the last 5 years of OU football. I look forward to being wrong after OU shows their one loss so far was strictly due to poor tackling and execution by the players and had nothing to do with the coaching staff. OU can do that by simply executing the coaching staffs gameplan against Baylor, TCU and OSU. It is obvious OU's coaching staff has identified the same level of talent as those schools, is consistently winning the games they are supposed to and producing high level stats on both sides of the ball. Somehow the bottom line (goal) keeps getting missed but with this coaching staff it should be easy to overcome the players' deficits; can easily coach them up. Oklabama great post and I really do not care if you played the game on the field or on a video game, you seem to base your opinions on the body of work set in front of you, who would've thought.

That's a fair assessment in regards to being a "maverick", but "getting burned" comes with the territory. The risk/reward numbers are in his favor IMO.
I believe Sanchez has the tools to be good in the NFL when placed in the right system. He has no memory, has good hands for a DB and a sixth sense. If he had better speed to bait more he would easily be a high pick IMO.

How about John Grass or Justin Fuente or Gary Patterson or any number of others. No one will be a sure thing and there is no question about what Coach Stoops has done for the university as well as the manner in which he has done it. As I have stated before (I agree with oklabama) I do not think Coach Stoops will win another MNC and am willing to go through another hiring process understanding it could be John Blake or Bob Stoops. I did not play football past middle school, I did not attend/graduate OU and I have only been lucky enough to coach some of my kids teams (not football). So please disregard everything I am typing but also do not worry about the last 5 years of OU football. I look forward to being wrong after OU shows their one loss so far was strictly due to poor tackling and execution by the players and had nothing to do with the coaching staff. OU can do that by simply executing the coaching staffs gameplan against Baylor, TCU and OSU. It is obvious OU's coaching staff has identified the same level of talent as those schools, is consistently winning the games they are supposed to and producing high level stats on both sides of the ball. Somehow the bottom line (goal) keeps getting missed but with this coaching staff it should be easy to overcome the players' deficits; can easily coach them up. Oklabama great post and I really do not care if you played the game on the field or on a video game, you seem to base your opinions on the body of work set in front of you, who would've thought.

Welcome! Post more. Being an expert isn't a requirement to participate. This board needs a lot more members, not experts. Kudos.

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
Soldier he also struggles tackling... I think he will be late 2nd early 3rd round

Agreed he small in stature. A corner in the NFL who can be physical is a bonus in my opinion.... I always think of Deion "making business decisions." I will be rooting for him and hope his transition is as smooth as possible.

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
I agree soldier about Sanchez's speed. I've never seen a timed 40 for him but I'd guess upwards of 4.6.

Jordan Thomas looks to have all the tools to be a top 15 draft pick one day. Only time will tell.

Soldier he also struggles tackling... I think he will be late 2nd early 3rd round

If so, that wouldn't be too shabby, right? I get it, Yankees. But Sanchez has a chance to do what we fans would love to do, so be happy for him. He's s Sooner. If you are right about him, it's not good for him. How's that really going to feel? You don't want that.

I agree soldier about Sanchez's speed. I've never seen a timed 40 for him but I'd guess upwards of 4.6.

Jordan Thomas looks to have all the tools to be a top 15 draft pick one day. Only time will tell.

I have been impressed with Thomas. He has the moments where he is a half second slow or not sure of himself. I am hopeful with more experience that half second will be made up. If so he could be ridiculous good. And I don't know his size off hand but he just looks like big bad SOB.

Reactions: Oklabama
Bama right now he is listed as going in the late 2nd round according to the supposed "experts"..... I hope he goes high and makes $$$......do you see him staying for another year? I do. A good senior season to improve on his weaknesses could greatly help his draft status.

Bama right now he is listed as going in the late 2nd round according to the supposed "experts"..... I hope he goes high and makes $$$......do you see him staying for another year? I do. A good senior season to improve on his weaknesses could greatly help his draft status.

I hope he does. It should help him and be good for OU too. You know I hate early departures. Wow, I just had to delete a bunch so not to get in trouble.

I hope he does. It should help him and be good for OU too. You know I hate early departures. Wow, I just had to delete a bunch so not to get in trouble.

This thread sucks......Fence riders cutting down our players. You might as well join the cult...........

JMO, but I see Zach as 70/30 to turn pro and I could hardly blame him if he does. I don't think his stock can get much higher.

You could right, but I want him to stay and would think it would help Zach to make a team even if it doesn't improve his stock. Making the team is the goal. JMO.

This thread is to damn civil for me! Gonna have to put down the Gameboy and crack open a beer! I'll punch you in the mouth Kay2Sea!

This thread sucks......Fence riders cutting down our players. You might as well join the cult...........

Okay.....not the first time........HA!

balloon.jpg

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
This thread is to damn civil for me! Gonna have to put down the Gameboy and crack open a beer! I'll punch you in the mouth Kay2Sea!

I hear that!

I don't like Stepford threads...where everything is good and the marshmallow tree is blooming and the grass is cotton candy and the unicorn in the backyard craps golden nuggets...

Puleeze!

Give me edgy reality...I'm more comfortable with that.:eek:

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
Maybe I misread you. I thought I seen you post you hoped Sanchez turned pro after this year. I couldn't believe anyone would wish that on a two time Big12 player of the week and we are only in half the season.

Yep, you misread me. I do that a lot so no big deal. I never want an OU player to go pro until all his eligibility has expired. I understand when they do, but I never like it because I want OU to get 100% out of every recruit.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
This thread kind of epitomizes why I don't come on this board much and probably won't much going forward.

There's a Sooner here that emailed me about coming and playing at my course, I hope you read this and email me again. I got busy and then lost the email. If you golf and are in the Houston area AND I've given you my email, give me a shout and I'd love to have you out on my course as my guest. If you don't have those things and you like to play golf, I hope you have a friend that trusts you enough to give you my email. I love to host Sooners when I have time. I'm not sorry for a thread hijack.

Yep, you misread me. I do that a lot so no big deal. I never want an OU player to go pro until all his eligibility has expired. I understand when they do, but I never like it because I want OU to get 100% out of every recruit.

Yep, in my mind, I've crunched all the numbers and weighed all the possibilities, and I've come up with a theory at least that, had we never had a player leave before their eligibility had expired, we would be anticipating our 11th National title now.
That's right!
It wasn't scientific by any means, just rote logic and deductive reasoning.

In my defense...I think it's pretty damn close.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Oklabama
Then, fortworth, this is where we disagree. If you believe my statements to be a "figment of my imagination", then I would in turn say that you have a blind eye to a certain extent. Sanchez is far from the first Sooner to receive undue criticism the past few seasons, and there was a multitude of posts from one poster being redundantly critical of Sanchez. And when asked to defend his remarks, he blatantly ignored any and all requests to do so.

And when an opinion of certain opinions are expressed, even without insult, accusations like "your drunk", "your obsessed with me" or "go play video games" aren't conducive to civil debate.
Thanks again for your civility. Some wouldn't do so.

The beauty with an opinion is it doesn't have to be right to be taken respectfully. As to me having a blind eye, anything is possible. I don't know everything and I'm not that insightful.

Does it have to be a requirement that one defend their "opinion" when it is expressed as an opinion? Most will automatically do so but when one doesn't, should that be a reason to declare an open season for ridicule on that poster? Offer your rebuttal - which you do - and go on - which you and many don't, IMO.

Your opinion is respected and valued highly here - I know I highly respect and value it - so just move on after you've made your point. Others will note the obvious substance of your point. That should be enough shouldn't it? And, it takes a big man to avoid a train wreck. Excessive arguing only seems to weaken ones defense and reasoning skills and instead, does much harm to this board, IMHO.

I can not defend the use of inflammatory language such as "your drunk" and the others you mentioned. But, those are usually - again, in my opinion - defensive comebacks borne from a previous offensive attack on the poster delivering such a reactionary insult. The defensive user needs to change their ways as does the offensive initiator not for my sake but for the sake of the forum. One incivility unchecked usually breeds the other resulting in a malicious cycle that seems to never end. Someone has to change as two wrongs never make a right.

Some just need to be the bigger men here. Who will step up?

Boomer Sooner

Reactions: Got Rings?
This thread kind of epitomizes why I don't come on this board much and probably won't much going forward.

There's a Sooner here that emailed me about coming and playing at my course, I hope you read this and email me again. I got busy and then lost the email. If you golf and are in the Houston area AND I've given you my email, give me a shout and I'd love to have you out on my course as my guest. If you don't have those things and you like to play golf, I hope you have a friend that trusts you enough to give you my email. I love to host Sooners when I have time. I'm not sorry for a thread hijack.

No worries after reading your post they probably lost your email as well.

Just an FYI, I moderated this board back right after it was completely lawless for about 3 years, I guess that was 10 years ago now. Nothing you can or will say will hurt my feelings so you can save yourself the breath and time ;) just saying.

That's a fair assessment in regards to being a "maverick", but "getting burned" comes with the territory. The risk/reward numbers are in his favor IMO.

I think if we had more posts like this, I would be thrilled. BCS disagrees with what I say based on numbers. I have an opinion based on what I see as a fan but a novice coach and we are able to be civil.

I really respect what you say BCS based on numbers versus my opinion and you may well be right. It doesn't change my opinion but it does give me something to think about when I watch the game. That is the point!

Sanchez may be an elite cornerback, but what I expect to see in the current environment of college football is not what i am seeing and if you don't think I am up jumping around screaming hell yeah when I am wrong and he intercepts, you are absolutely nuts.

Last edited:

I'm puzzled why this thread is so bad IYO. But regardless I admire your profession. And envious. I wish I could play better. Enjoy your life. I've always enjoyed your input.

i like the Sanchez conversation. Sorry, but he's got a lot to work on in my opinion! He's great when he's jumping routes but all k-state needed was a QB that could hit the broad side of a barn and he'd have given up 3 td's over 60 yards. He could have single handedly kept kstate in the game. Risk/reward... Sometimes. He's not a good tackler. He's got A LOT to work on.

Just an FYI, I moderated this board back right after it was completely lawless for about 3 years, I guess that was 10 years ago now. Nothing you can or will say will hurt my feelings so you can save yourself the breath and time ;) just saying.

Your 3 posts make it very clear you are not impacted or concerned with others, I am not worried about your feelings, I am capable of detecting how much time/breath I choose to use and congratulations on being a former moderator. Maybe you should have that put on the bag, "Former Moderator" with a cool emblem like a superhero maybe a hammer like the Texas Hammer.... Just try to make sure the emblem is a tool.

Reactions: AbsoluteZer0
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT