ADVERTISEMENT

The Ugly Truth About The "He hits women" Chant

MikeNAustin

Sooner starter
Dec 28, 2008
Austin, Texas
What I wrote to Jenni Carlson, which she will probably ignore:

Dear Jenni,

Many in the media, including you from what I observed in your recent power lunch chat, have glossed over the heinous "he hits women" chant that thousands of Auburn fans roared during the Sugar Bowl. Instead, you have chosen to focus on Mixon's (and Mayfield's) response to that chant. It is as if such chants, born ostensibly out of disgust at Mixon's violent act, are somehow warranted. Or at least excusable.

But let there be no confusion on this matter.

Auburn fans were not yelling that chant out of disgust at the punch Mixon delivered. This was not done to render justice. The truth is far more ugly, far more base. The truth is that Auburn fans were merely trying to get under Mixon's skin . . . so they could win a football game. A mob using a tragic, life-altering trauma to their own ends, seeking to publicly shame, brand, and permanently define a kid according to his worst act. To mess with his head.

For a W.

Mind you the chant wasn't even "he hit a woman," which would have still been horrifically gratuitous, but at least have been true.

No, it was "he hits women." A lie. And a dangerous lie, at that. Why so dangerous? Because the psychology of shame actually provokes the very heinous acts that it magnifies.

Want to turn a young girl who made a sexual mistake into a harlot? That's easy. Brand her. Put a Scarlet Letter on her blouse.

Want to encourage a man with obvious anger and pride issues to develop a habit of hitting women when he loses his cool? Just as easy. Tell him that the bad thing he did is who he is. Forever. The chant itself suggests the behaviour to the vulnerable psyche of a young man trying move forward with his life.

People's minds are fragile things. We are all suggestible.

"You hit women. You hit women. You hit women."

Say that into the mirror enough times, or have it bludgeoned into your soul by tens of thousands of accusing voices screaming a mantra, and guess what? You'll probably start hitting women.

Unless, of course, you have the presence of mind and courage to fight against the lie. To stand up to the Shame Monster and tell it where it can get off.

What you missed in your simplistic interpretation of Mixon's response was a young man fighting against dangerous, destructive voices, fighting for his psyche, and his future. That was not a boy gloating over what he did. No, that was a wounded man staring down the Shame Monster and declaring to everyone that, "no matter how loud you yell it, that is not who I am!"

And so the very reaction you deride may, ironically, be worthy of praise.

I think so.

That said, I'll concede that Mixon can (and must) learn to carry on that psychological battle more subtly, more inwardly in the future. If he's doing his counseling, I'm sure he'll learn to do that. But what you saw there was a growing man battling against a future of violence. Not a brash fool gloating in his folly.

At least that is how I choose to see it.

In any event, there is no excusing the reckless and shameful chant of the Auburn fans. They trampled everyone's trauma, including Mia Molitor's, just to try to get an edge for their football team.

If anything in the Sugar Bowl should provoke our moral disgust, it is that.

I hope you will consider addressing this in your future treatment of the subject.

Sincerely,

Mike

Last edited:
Whatever the motive was by Auburn fans in their chant directed at Mixon, and given the volatility of the Molitor-Mixon event, I thought Mixon reacted wrong. His reaction could....and did....give many the impression he was being flippant about the situation, rightly or wrongly.
Mixon has been given a great deal of redemption by OU, Stoops and OU fans. I should think some humility on his part is in order. He has been given a huge second chance, which I endorse.

Last edited:
Is it a known fact that Baker & Mixon was taunting Auburn fans?

Or were they both attempting to get the OU fans to drown out the Auburn fans?

Either way, I really don't give a rat's ass. I like the fire in Mayfield and Mixon just followed along.

Good read OP.

Jenni Carlson is, and always has been, complete garbage in her profession. A perfect fit for today's media.

I've been reading her and Berry Tramel's articles since 1999, and even at 15 years of age I could conclude that they were both a steaming pile of dog excrement.

I've never cared for Mike Gundy but I was in full support of his tirade against Jenni after her slandering article of Bobby Reid.

Whatever the motive was by Clemson fans in their chant directed at Mixon, and given the volatility of the Molitor-Mixon event, I thought Mixon reacted wrong. His reaction could....and did....give many the impression he was being flippant about the situation, rightly or wrongly.
Mixon has been given a great deal of redemption by OU, Stoops and OU fans. I should think some humility on his part is in order. He has been given a huge second chance, which I endorse.

I think he can choose a wiser course of action, sure. But I wouldn't go so far as to call it wrong.

Really tough to imagine being in that situation. I can really understand the desire to do something more defiant than just taking it quietly.

JMHO.

Of course, it may have been just as he said, them just playing to the OU fans and asking them to raise the noise.

Is it a known fact that Baker & Mixon was taunting Auburn fans?

Or were they both attempting to get the OU fans to drown out the Auburn fans?

Either way, I really don't give a rat's ass. I like the fire in Mayfield and Mixon just followed along.
According to folks who were there, Mixon and Mayfield were gesturing to OU fans not the Auburn fans.

It's just what fans do, all fan bases. Gone are the days of cheering good sportsmanship by the enemy.
I remember the entire Oklahoma Memorial Stadium roaring in laughter when Donovan McNabb stepped out of the huddle so he could puke through his facemask, and I remember the video board engineers zooming in and replaying it more than a couple of times.
It's tough to even call it poor sportsmanship anymore... it's just sportsmanship.

More like "gamesmanship". I suppose its a natural evolution (or de-evolution) as the D1 games become closer to the pro mentality. Bud would have hated it

I don't believe the pro game has anything to do with it. There are many, many people that have never attended a pro game that has attended other sports. Chanting "He hits women" is not anything close to any sportsmanship I was taught. Society in generaal has changed. If Bud was Coaching in the game, no one would have been chanting this. Not because of Bud, but because of the people and manners of people during his era of coaching.

Fans in general do many classless things. Funny part of it all is one has to wonder how many of those fans chanting that have also hit a woman themselves or done even worse.

So many people want to act like saints and act as if they dont have skeletons in their own closets.

Over on the main board some of those that have been condeming Mixon have turned around and talked about how when they played football that they tried to poke another players eyes under a pile. Hey but trying to blind someone which could happen was just a part of football to them. Talk about hypocrits.

More like "gamesmanship". I suppose its a natural evolution (or de-evolution) as the D1 games become closer to the pro mentality. Bud would have hated it

I took ia's comment to mean that the taunting, trash talking, chanting, etc. may have had it's roots in pro football, whereas the college game and fans were more cordial toward opposing teams. Over time, that has changed and now it seems that passion, enthusiasm and school spirit has evolved into fan behaviors that can be best described as obnoxious, rude and disrespectful. As such, a true gentleman of the game, like Bud Wilkinson, would be disgusted by what some fans and fan bases do week in and week out.

I watch NFL
I won't watch the NBA, I still think it's the most rigged sport out there.
MLB, maybe if my team is on a roll, but not often
Nascar, no more.
Golf when I won't to take a nap.

I use to be a big NFL fan but cant say I have watched many regular season games over the past 5 years. Been a Packer fan my whole life mainly because I can still remember watching that very first Superbowl. These days I will watch the playoffs but really only care if GB is in the playoffs.

Could give a rats rear about the NBA and as you stated I also think its rigged.

MLB I still watch occasionaly but only if the Giants are doing well. There was a time I could name every starter on each team but these days I barely know who is who even when it comes to the Giants.

However Oklahoma and CFB is my passion and it drives my wife crazy on Saturdays.

Reactions: iasooner1
Fans in general do many classless things. Funny part of it all is one has to wonder how many of those fans chanting that have also hit a woman themselves or done even worse.

So many people want to act like saints and act as if they dont have skeletons in their own closets.

Over on the main board some of those that have been condeming Mixon have turned around and talked about how when they played football that they tried to poke another players eyes under a pile. Hey but trying to blind someone which could happen was just a part of football to them. Talk about hypocrits.

I gave up on the soundoff board a few years ago. It is littered with douche bags and internet tough guys who have latched on to that place in attempts to gain any sort of ego stroke in what has become a large number of posters in a circle doing a specific act to each other.

I gave up on the soundoff board a few years ago. It is littered with douche bags and internet tough guys who have latched on to that place in attempts to gain any sort of ego stroke in what has become a large number of posters in a circle doing a specific act to each other.

I agree. I visit it during football season and only post on subjects that interest me. One thing is certain on that board is that they have a genuine hate for OU and basically the B12.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT