ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL GAME THREAD - CFP GAME #1 - OU vs. Bama!

24/27, more touchdown passes than incompletions. Thats crazy, not sure there will be changes on that side of the ball. but there needs to be. ASAP

2001 was different than is it now. Our offense isn’t going to slow down much. We had the number 1 offense for two years straight with different qbs.

We just some type of consistent defense.

We were actually a lot better in the early 2000's and we didn't get it done then either. We are going to take a step back next year offensively without an established QB. Guess Im just not as optimistic as you

Stupid coaching ...bad tackling but sad to see Kyler’s Sooner career end. He and Baker deserved so much better. Our crappy defense ruined our chances.

It wasn't like it got bad overnight, it has been bad for a while but nobody seemed to care and I mean those that could have done something about it but didn't care.
Not easy to get to the playoffs and a win is even harder when you pay way too much attention to the offensive side of the ball and not enough on the D. Look at Clemsons D and Bama's. I just don't buy that those type of defenses don't or won't work in the Big 12, they beat us with them outside the Big 12. Clemson blowout, Georgia and now Bama. Bama shut us out while going up 28-0. They knew we would score eventually but were not worried our D would stop them enough to catch up. Bama stopped themselves more than our pathetic D did. Sorry but I am just sick and tired of losing games we could have won if we fielded a decent Defense. Changes need to be made IMMEDIATELY. This is not OU Football. Not ranting at you, just venting frustration and beyond fed up.

OU Defense. Lets beat that dead horse one more time.

OwUAZHZ.gif

Reactions: thatdude35
One thing I've noticed on this board is that there aren't nearly as many upset people on here after a loss like this. I guess we just kinda expect now and move on? 10 years ago I would have been devastated but not so much these days

Sad what you can get used to. My gf said she was sorry about the loss to me. I said don't worry about it, I am used to it.

We were actually a lot better in the early 2000's and we didn't get it done then either. We are going to take a step back next year offensively without an established QB. Guess Im just not as optimistic as you

Nobody ran spread like they do now. I don’t think we were better offensively. We will take a step back but not much. Then the year after we should be near the top again.

One thing I've noticed on this board is that there aren't nearly as many upset people on here after a loss like this. I guess we just kinda expect now and move on? 10 years ago I would have been devastated but not so much these days

I’m disappointed but not upset: I mean most thought Bama would win. There was room to be optimistic but in reality the 14 point favorite won:

Reactions: Soonerborn59
Nobody ran spread like they do now. I don’t think we were better offensively. We will take a step back but not much. Then the year after we should be near the top again.

Well we might be near the top, but I don't see us being back to this level again within a couple of years. The Mayfields and Murrays don't come along too often. Without Murray this year we would have lost several games.

If Bama and Clemson can do it I don't see any reason why OU cannot. Bama has been every year so far and Clemson 4 times out of 5. I really think Bama and Clemson are on another level the past few yrs and then you have everyone else trying to get there.
OU has been 3 times but cannot get a W, the BCS era curse continues for the Sooners, can't win the big ones vs the Big Boys. Every year I think our luck will change but its not luck that needs changing.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
Stupid coaching ...bad tackling but sad to see Kyler’s Sooner career end. He and Baker deserved so much better. Our crappy defense ruined our chances.
Stupid coaching was not the problem. Bama was bigger, faster, had more length, and was more athletic. Alabama won this game on the recruiting trail, just like they win every other game.

Stupid coaching was not the problem. Bama was bigger, faster, had more length, and was more athletic. Alabama won this game on the recruiting trail, just like they win every other game.

Two instances of bad coaching were going on 4th down and the onside kick with lots of time in Q4. They were very poor choices to give Bama a short field. Almost like panic set in.

Reactions: iasooner1
Army’s defense did have a few stops, one I recall inside the 5 yard line and one on 4th and short.
But OU was really worn out on defense late in the game and still made s couple of clutch stops.

This is nothing but a copout. Recruiting is part of it, but Bama doesn't have 5-star players at every position on the field for every play. They develop their players when they get to Bama. OU has a couple of 5-star kids on defense and what difference has it made?? Nothing. OU has gotten worse on defense while recruiting better talent. So yes, it's a coaching issue. Can't just blame everything on talent. If signing top recruiting classes was the secret to winning national titles, then Mack Brown should have won half a dozen nattys at Texas.

Josh Jacobs for Bama last night had a huge game. He was a 3-star kid from Tulsa, OK. Bama came in and stole him right under OU's nose, and has developed the kid into a solid player.

Baker wasn't established... neither was Kyler. We won't miss much offensively except the line. Which is concerning. But the skill positions we're good to go. Again.

This is nothing but a copout. Recruiting is part of it, but Bama doesn't have 5-star players at every position on the field for every play. They develop their players when they get to Bama. OU has a couple of 5-star kids on defense and what difference has it made?? Nothing. OU has gotten worse on defense while recruiting better talent. So yes, it's a coaching issue. Can't just blame everything on talent. If signing top recruiting classes was the secret to winning national titles, then Mack Brown should have won half a dozen nattys at Texas.

Josh Jacobs for Bama last night had a huge game. He was a 3-star kid from Tulsa, OK. Bama came in and stole him right under OU's nose, and has developed the kid into a solid player.

Exactly. If that were the case, Texas would have dominated OU for years.

Reactions: BillyRay

We need coaching no doubt. But we do need better defensive talent. There aren't any players on our defense that would start for Bama. None. We also didn't get beat because of Josh Jacob. We aren't hurting at RB and haven't in awhile. You can toss out a defensive player's name, but offensively, we be good. IMO, better than Bama.

We need coaching no doubt. But we do need better defensive talent. There aren't any players on our defense that would start for Bama. None. We also didn't get beat because of Josh Jacob. We aren't hurting at RB and haven't in awhile. You can toss out a defensive player's name, but offensively, we be good. IMO, better than Bama.
Never meant to imply that OU lost because of Jacob's.

I agree OU needs better talent on defense. But it's not like OU has recruited nothing but trash to that side of the ball. OU ranked next to last (or maybe they did finish last) in the Big XII in defense, yet I bet OU recruits better talent than any other school in the conference. The kids are getting to OU and don't progress.

BR, IMO, the past two years we've done 'avg', prior to this 'below avg' despite the so called star ratings. We need the same energy LR has brought to the offense to happen to the defense. Like I said, there isn't a single starter on defense that would start on Alabama's team. Not one. These are all MS kids and he only got in gear recruiting when LR showed up as HC.

Reactions: CTOkie
BR, IMO, the past two years we've done 'avg', prior to this 'below avg' despite the so called star ratings. We need the same energy LR has brought to the offense to happen to the defense. Like I said, there isn't a single starter on defense that would start on Alabama's team. Not one. These are all MS kids and he only got in gear recruiting when LR showed up as HC.
You're prolly right that no kid on OUs defense could start at Bama. But that doesn't mean they are as horrible as they showed this season. Not even close. Bama is Bama. But I'm talking about just comparing OUs defense to the rest of the Big XII when comparing recruiting versus results on the field. OU is just pathetic in that regard. I swear if LR **** cans the entire defensive staff, it can't get here soon enough. It's been a complete ****show for too many years.

You're prolly right that no kid on OUs defense could start at Bama. But that doesn't mean they are as horrible as they showed this season. Not even close. Bama is Bama. But I'm talking about just comparing OUs defense to the rest of the Big XII when comparing recruiting versus results on the field. OU is just pathetic in that regard. I swear if LR **** cans the entire defensive staff, it can't get here soon enough. It's been a complete ****show for too many years.

I hear you man but we play the big boys in the playoffs. You're right, this team is good enough to beat the Big12 teams, but the Clemsons & Bamas, we need talent and coaching. Without, we don't win a Natty. Three tries, three losses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT