ADVERTISEMENT

Surprise! Quick-hit practice thoughts (April 1, Updated)

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
That was really, really, really cool. We found at 6:30 a.m. that we would be granted access. And then we were given 10 more minutes of access that included real-live hitting. Ha.

Peyton Bowen was there.

Phil Picciotti was there.

I'm gonna have A LOT more this afternoon. Brittany has a doctor's appointment at 11, so I gots to get going. I spent the whole viewing session with the LBs and DBs. Watching Ted Roof, Jay Valai and Brandon Hall. Roof - that was an experience. Enjoyed it.

There will be no interviews today. That will resume Monday.

EDIT:

OK, back home.

Some guys who weren't practicing? Bryson Washington, DaShaun White were both doing drills away from the rest of the team. Andrew Raym and Marcus Major were both wearing a boot.

I told you that if we got another viewing, I would be camped out at linebackers and defensive backs. I didn't leave the group the whole time.

*Man, if Kani Walker can pick things up, that's an impressive looking CB. And yes, I happen to get the drill where Jay Valai is telling him to be more physical.

*I don't know if he'll be the starter, but Justin Broiles knows everything. Not like one or two things, but everything. Whether it was in special teams drills or safety drills, he was first man up every time and got a bunch of kudos from the coaches.

*You can understand how Justin Harrington is given the opportunity to reclaim a spot and make some noise. Watching the safeties, you see Broiles. Then guys like Key Lawrence and Billy Bowman stand out. From there? Just a lot of potential with guys like Jordan Mukes, Robert Spears-Jennings, etc. And putting Harrington at safety, chef's kiss, no?

*Just physical. Across the board. If they keep that intensity all spring, I don't have a clue who is gonna survive heading into the spring game. So when Brent is talking we'll decide format later, that's what he's talking about.

*You saw it in the Kani Walker drill, but it was with Brandon Hall and Ted Roof, too. Attack. Don't just ease up and gently wrap. Attack and be aggressive. I did a lot more observing than video this morning, Roof was all up in anybody who was being too passive. Up-downs galore during this one drill where if he felt a linebacker didn't attack.

*Still fun watching Brent coach. And he was seen a lot among the CBs, safeties and linebackers. Whether it was encouraging them or running the drill himself, he is who he is. No problem with it.

*Linebackers. I thought I had a sweet drill of Danny Stutsman doing his thing. Son of a... sun glare, I hadn't hit record yet. Let's just say there were no up-downs for Stutsman going through his reps.

*David Ugwoegbu still going strong with the inside linebackers. With White not participating, it was Ugwoegbu setting the tone.

*Roof really did go after those guys. He's not just some figurehead who doesn't do anything. "If you're gonna be soft, go home. I don't have time for soft." Cleaned up the language a bit, ha.

*To the W drill. No Marcus Major, so it was time for Jovantae Barnes to shine. And he did. Time and time again, trying to see what RB got by, it was Barnes.

*Not gonna sit here and over-generalize how a guy is doing from one rep, but it was a lot of fun to see the physicality in person (which I'm sure you can watch as well in Eddie's video).

*SoonersInSuits... meet coaches in suits.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.