ADVERTISEMENT

Sooner news/nuggets: Five-Star Challenge

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
While @Josh_M spent the majority of time talking with OU 2019 commits and targets at the Rivals Five-Star Challenge, I went the other way.

So what you're getting is a lot of early info on some 2020 names to stash away. Some might become legit OU names, some might fade away in time. Eh, we'll find out.

glfvibydoyrdd2x7nj7b

(2020 RB Zach Evans... before being taken out by 2020 LB Justin Flowe)

Already a five-star player for the 2020 class, but Evans said the attention doesn't mean much to him at this point. His goal continues to be to make his high school as good as possible.

Nothing too new here. Evans reiterated that he intends to return to Norman but added it will probably be for a game and not for the #ChampUBBQ.

He's developing a nice bond with running backs coach Jay Boulware and Evans is aware of OU's tradition at the position. He mentioned Adrian Peterson (although Boulware didn't coach him) and Joe Mixon as a couple of the running backs that stood out.

When mentioned about OU already having two running back commits in Jase McClellan and Jaylan Knighton, Evans made it sound like Knighton didn't exist, only mentioning McClellan.

"Coach Boulware said we are two unique backs so he can use both of us and stuff like that," Evans said. "He's talked about the other running backs."

That's not to say Knighton doesn't exist, but someone like McClellan would obviously be more in mind for Evans since they're both from Texas.

So we'll see as that 2020 running back race will be crazy to watch with all those realistic names in play.

Is it time to add Washington D.C. to the legitimate spots for OU recruiting? Already with Joseph Wete committed, 2020 offensive lineman Anton Harrison is going to be a name to watch as Shane Beamer continues to make his mark.

Harrison started talking with Beamer in January when Beamer arrived in Norman and things are progressing nicely.

"I actually talked to Coach Beamer yesterday as I was working out," said Harrison last week. "We're getting to know each other a lot better."

Harrison said offensive line coach Bill Bedenbaugh showed up during the spring and that meant a lot to him.

OU's ace in the hole (maybe)? Trent Williams.

"I've always had Oklahoma in the back of my mind because my favorite O-Lineman went there, Trent Williams," Harrison said.

Harrison said he thinks of OU and O-Line U because of what the Sooners have been able to do under Bedenbaugh. He'd like to visit as soon as he can, but he has no clue of when he'll be able to make that happen.

Penn State, Ohio State and North Carolina are some of the other schools standing out early in the process. Those are, duh, a lot closer than Norman, but Harrison stresses that won't be a factor in his decision.

"Not really," said Harrison about distance being involved. "I think I need to grow and be away from home. Whatever fits me is where I'm going to make the move."

For this season, it's about left tackle. Harrison was a right tackle as a sophomore but moves into the left tackle spot as a junior.

huynbukoaxczk3tmrn7v

(Ohio State is gonna be tough to beat for 2020 LB Derek Wingo)

Wingo surprised us by mentioning OU in his early top four, but after talking to him, it sort of made a lot more sense with Wingo's reasoning.

He said the interest started in the early spring and then defensive coordinator Mike Stoops came by and watched him play. Since then, things have developed with some phone conversations and Wingo is enjoying getting to know Stoops.

"He's a great guy," Wingo said. "I love their tradition and the stuff they're building there."

Wingo is optimistic for a trip to OU in July, but admits that if it doesn't happen then, it won't happen until next spring or summer.

He sees OU as a program on the rise.

"They're breaking through right now, and that's something I really want to be around," Wingo said.

Wingo is the next in line of the Obo spot for the Sooners, and it's something Wingo said helps put OU among his top schools.

"They like their linebackers to be quick," Wingo said. "They want me as an outside guy and want someone who can move in space and blitz coming off the edge. I like that."

A linebacker now, but Wingo was once a former quarterback and said that experience there has helped him immensely in terms of reading coverages and playing the 'quarterback' of the defense as Wingo likes directing traffic.

St. Thomas Aquinas and linebacker means maybe OU is getting involved because of Nik Bonitto being in Norman. Wingo doesn't deny that Bonitto is trying to be a factor.

"Yea, I have a relationship with him," Wingo said. "He was one of the guys I was close with last year and was always looking up to him. He's always trying to push me toward OU."

The scuttlebutt is Ohio State for Wingo so it'll be important for the Sooners to get him to campus sooner than later.

prqbqk4irlwmqvpngsnf

(2020 DB Kelee Ringo is a sure-fire future five-star guy, right?)

One of the surprises from last week no doubt was 2020 cornerback Kelee Ringo. Offered by OU in the spring, you fully understand why the Sooners are so high on Ringo.

Tremendous size, great speed, Ringo was a big name for 2020 heading into the Challenge and even bigger name now that it's done.

OU doesn't attack Arizona too often so it says something about the Sooners for Ringo and about Ringo for OU.

"It means a lot coming from such a great school," Ringo said. "They've been putting a lot of people on the map."

Of course, if we're talking OU and Arizona, then it all starts with 2019 quarterback commit Spencer Rattler. No doubt Ringo is hearing from OU's future signal-caller.

"Oh man, Spencer is talking to me all the time," Ringo said. "Whenever we're together, he's telling me about OU. I love it, though. I love the love coming from there. The fans are crazy."

Ringo, like most 2020 recruits, mentions he'd love a chance to come to Norman but also says he has zero plans for that to go down at the moment. Ringo doesn't plan much when it comes to his visits, they just sort of happen.

The big thing with Ringo is him getting comfortable at cornerback. He used to live in Washington and was a full-time wide receiver. Now in Arizona, he's a full-time defensive back and part-time receiver.

It's early, but it appears like defensive backs coach Kerry Cooks has made a positive impression with Ringo.

"I like him a lot," Ringo said. "He came out to our showcase. I really like his energy."

f9fzxiluxy4afvlsqbbo

(OU is definitely among the five officials for Stripling)

Going to do a full-length story on Stripling next week so just the bullet points:
  • No visits in July. "Lock in and focus on high school season."
  • Five official visits - OU, LSU, A&M, Texas and Alabama
  • On his disappointment about not being able to be in Norman despite wanting to on several occasions. "It has been kind of (frustrating). I've been trying to get out there for a long time, but it hasn't worked out. I'm going to get out there soon, though."
  • On his relationship with Calvin Thibodeaux: "It's a good relationship. He texts me like every day, lets me know I'm a big priority."
  • Why is OU in the running... "That touch. That DNA. They got that DNA."
  • No visits are set up but all five schools know he wants to take a trip there.
  • He'll know when he knows. No set time, as of now, for when he makes the call.

b4yij93j2r4v2bpulaf9

(2020 DE/OLB Prince Dorbah is absolutely a huge name for OU fans to know)

Same thing here with Dorbah. Full story later.
  • Camp was his first trip to OU. Took the tour, met the staff, saw the Jordan Brand stuff. Great atmosphere.
  • Likes OU running a 3-4 and coming off the edge as an outside linebacker. "That's where I fit in perfectly."
  • OU visit has changed things in a huge way. "Going there and seeing it for myself? It's a great place, great program."
  • Talking to Mike Stoops and Lincoln Riley the most and really likes Stoops because he reminds him of his high school defensive coordinator. "They get after you."
  • Said goal for him is to get stronger and then hopefully narrow it down to a top-five midway through his junior season or so.
So that'll do it for me from the Challenge. Enjoyed the trip to Atlanta. Full-length stories later with Stripling and Dorbah.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.