ADVERTISEMENT

Sooner football saved the weekend.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
Wrestlers lost Bedlam at home 33-3.

The men went to Madison, Wisconsin and lost 90-70.

Perhaps more unacceptable, Coale's women lost today to ORU, 74-67. Sherri started the game with Manning and Ortiz on the bench, and it looked like a disaster. To me, Edwards wouldn't be in the rotation for seven or eight other teams in the conference and today, she started at point guard.

This new offensive structure is more than a work in progress. This should be their year, and it's a mess so far. Kentucky handled them double digits earlier in the week.

Thank god that Gymnastics starts soon.

Last edited:
Didn't know any of that. Outside of football and men's basketball, I don't keep up with it.

Didn't know any of that. Outside of football and men's basketball, I don't keep up with it.

If you don't watch OU women's softball, you are missing something, especially if you're a diamond sports fan. As fundamentally sound as any team in the country. Defending national champs, and very likely to be better this season. Eight of ten starters are back, if you include the "DH." Quotes because they don't call it the DH, because they can hit for anybody, not just the pitcher.

Great incoming recruiting class, and a transfer who was the best pitcher at Mizzou last year, who made the Super regional. This could be an awesome team. Four of last year's starters were true freshmen.

If you don't watch OU women's softball, you are missing something, especially if you're a diamond sports fan. As fundamentally sound as any team in the country. Defending national champs, and very likely to be better this season. Eight of ten starters are back, if you include the "DH." Quotes because they don't call it the DH, because they can hit for anybody, not just the pitcher.

Great incoming recruiting class, and a transfer who was the best pitcher at Mizzou last year, who made the Super regional. This could be an awesome team. Four of last year's starters were true freshmen.
Now THAT I could get into!

Yep. If they don't win another championship I'll be surprised. Last year's finals were fantastic. I enjoyed that just about as much as any other sports event I've ever seen. All great games.

I feel the same way about Geno Auriemma's UConn women's team:
4 national championships over the last 4 seasons and 11 overall since 1995.
Well coached and highly motivated players who are fundamentally sound.
Losing only one player (a walk-on) after this season....with two top notch transfers and a great class coming in next year.
And aren't you going to remind us of how Stoops' football program enables women's sports at OU to exist....or how winning a championship in a female sport is somehow irrelevant or not as worthy an accomplishment as any men's sport ?

Reactions: BillyRay
Women's softball isn't as relevant as football. It's not irrelevant at all. I love OU women's softball, but it is not self supporting and never will be, most likely, though I'd love for there to be a bigger stadium for the games. I'm not sure why you chose to bring that up here, but you did.

I love Patty Gasso. I think she's a great coach. But her task is way different than Bob's and anybody with a fair point of view gets that. It's why he is worth a lot more than his salary. He doesn't just pay for himself 100 times over, he pays for everybody who is an OU head coach, especially on the women's side. I understand that you don't like that truth, but it is true.

Stoops' football program does enable every woman's sport at OU. And trademarcs represents the huge majority of most Sooner sports fans.

But here I am, trying to get somebody to just try to take a look at OU softball, and you want to come and diminish that, for whatever reason.

Reactions: toadfrog
Not trying to diminish Patty Gasso's team at all. Her team is everything you said it is.
Nor am I denying that OU's football factory doesn't enable women's sports (and men's sports) to exist. That's common knowledge.
I just think you want to have it both ways in lauding Gasso's great team while saying Auriemma's or Summitt's accomplishments in women's basketball are not as worthy because they coach a women's team. I am not comparing the athleticism of a man to that of a woman and I'm not saying Gasso's team could beat the men's National Softball Team or that the UConn women could beat the UConn men. That is not even worthy of debate and it's really not fair if one just enjoys the sport for what it is.

I feel the same way about Geno Auriemma's UConn women's team:
4 national championships over the last 4 seasons and 11 overall since 1995.
Well coached and highly motivated players who are fundamentally sound.
Losing only one player (a walk-on) after this season....with two top notch transfers and a great class coming in next year.
And aren't you going to remind us of how Stoops' football program enables women's sports at OU to exist....or how winning a championship in a female sport is somehow irrelevant or not as worthy an accomplishment as any men's sport ?

Plaino here saying good things without any button pushing and you take a non instigated shot like an ass hat. Congratulations.

I like it when women play with my softballs...

88ftk.jpg

Pointing out hypocricy that's all.

That's head scratchingly retarded.

I don't always agree with Plaino but I'm getting tired of him being the only person left who can't share his opinion without getting overly criticized because of this board's history.

You disagree with what he says? Explain why he's wrong.

He's not wrong about OU's softball team. There is no disagreement on this.
But for someone who felt the need to remind us earlier in the year that women's sports (namely basketball) that are subsidized by football...(something that is common knowledge)....and played by females who lack the same athletic skills as males....are less deserving of acclaim compared to men's sports, his praise of Gasso's team seems to contradict his earlier disregard for women's sports.

But for someone who felt the need to remind us earlier in the year that women's sports (namely basketball) that are subsidized by football...(something that is common knowledge)....and played by females who lack the same athletic skills as males....are less deserving of acclaim compared to men's sports, his praise of Gasso's team seems to contradict his earlier disregard for women's sports.

So you're incapable of seeing Plaino give high praise to the softball program now?

Standing over here it just looks like you can't let go of that grudge.

Mucho Agreeamundo!!

I might even get that Wicked Sensation...

Make no mistake, George Lynch is a complete A-HOLE, but he has a good band...

Not trying to diminish Patty Gasso's team at all. Her team is everything you said it is.
Nor am I denying that OU's football factory doesn't enable women's sports (and men's sports) to exist. That's common knowledge.
I just think you want to have it both ways in lauding Gasso's great team while saying Auriemma's or Summitt's accomplishments in women's basketball are not as worthy because they coach a women's team. I am not comparing the athleticism of a man to that of a woman and I'm not saying Gasso's team could beat the men's National Softball Team or that the UConn women could beat the UConn men. That is not even worthy of debate and it's really not fair if one just enjoys the sport for what it is.

It's nothing close to hypocrisy. I'd say that winning a high school state title in football in Texas is a tougher task than the one Auriemma or Summitt attempted every year. Both had superior players virtually every year.

So if I said the Todd Dodge was a quality high school football coach, and praised his teams for playing with great fundamentals, that isn't hypocrisy, even if I contended that his task wasn't close to as tough as BStoops or other elite college football coach. Praising Dodge, or my favorite John Clark, or even a great coach in 4A isn't hypocrisy.

The original discussion that you're trying to trash, was when I defended my position that Bob Stoops is the best coach on campus, when he was being trashed for losing in the national semifinals of the CFP. Trying to compete in his profession is so much tougher for a lot of reasons.

It's one reason why Auriemma avoided the opportunity to prove himself coaching me. He had the opportunity. But he preferred to be the biggest fish in a much less competitive pond. And that's okay.

An additional part of the discussion in that or another thread, was my contention that Title IX is inherently unfair, because it creates left wing boundaries for who gets awarded a scholarship and who doesn't. In OUr culture, it used to be the best, but that's no longer the case. I don't want to dredge that up again. If there are 16 men's and 16 women's scholarships in basketball, why do half of them go to women, when none of the women can compete with the men at the same school.

A great high school boys team would cream any of UConn's national champs, because it's a different game. That doesn't mean that Auriemma isn't a great coach. But tossing out the notion that he should be in the same conversation with John Wooden is more than a small stretch.

And that is relevant to the discussion, because it's a large part of why women's sports aren't self funding. Except for maybe women's gymnastics, you can find more talented high school boys, and most of why we go watch a game, it to watch amazing athleticism. Auriemma's game is played below the rim. High school JV boy's games, aren't.

That doesn't mean that there shouldn't be women's funded. But equal funding is patently unfair. So is the discussion about great coaching. Again, I love Patti Gasso. And I love watching any team in any sport, including 12 year olds, playing any game with great fundamentals, and admire any coach who teaches them well enough for their team to execute that way in any game, but especially in championship pressure.

In any college endeavor, you only want the groups of your choosing, to get advantages that you prescribe. Then you name call those who disagree. You subdivide the best when it suits you, and dividing when it suits you. That sound incredibly hypocritical, to me.

If there are 16 men's and 16 women's scholarships in basketball, why do half of them go to women, when none of the women can compete with the men at the same school.

A great high school boys team would cream any of UConn's national champs, because it's a different game. That doesn't mean that Auriemma isn't a great coach. But tossing out the notion that he should be in the same conversation with John Wooden is more than a small stretch.
For those that don't want to read the WALL-O-TEXT in it's entirety...then I quoted the relevant part above. That tells you all you need to know about his views of women's sports.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
It's nothing close to hypocrisy. I'd say that winning a high school state title in football in Texas is a tougher task than the one Auriemma or Summitt attempted every year. Both had superior players virtually every year.

Hmmm. High school football in Texas has two divisions in each class, with two teams for each division from each district... It is much easier to win one today than any other time... So, for class 6A in Texas High School football, you get 4 teams from each district in the playoffs... 128 teams are in 8 playoff brackets for two state titles handed out in each of, 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, and 6A...

6A Division I - Galena Park North Shore 21, Austin Westlake 14 OT
6A Division II - Katy 34, Austin Lake Travis 7
5A Division I - Richmond George Ranch 56, Mansfield Lake Ridge 0
5A Division II - Cedar Park 22, Frisco Lone Star 6
4A Division I - Waco La Vega 33, Argyle 31
4A Division II - West Orange-Stark 22, Celina 3
3A Division I - Brock 43, Cameron Yoe 33
3A Division II - Waskom 33, Franklin 21
2A Division I - Canadian 61, Refugio 20
2A Division II - Bremond 35, Albany 20
1A Division I - Abbott 40, Crowell 30
1A Division II - Richland Springs 72, Follett 26

So if I said the Todd Dodge was a quality high school football coach, and praised his teams for playing with great fundamentals, that isn't hypocrisy, even if I contended that his task wasn't close to as tough as BStoops or other elite college football coach. Praising Dodge, or my favorite John Clark, or even a great coach in 4A isn't hypocrisy.

The original discussion that you're trying to trash, was when I defended my position that Bob Stoops is the best coach on campus, when he was being trashed for losing in the national semifinals of the CFP. Trying to compete in his profession is so much tougher for a lot of reasons.

It's one reason why Auriemma avoided the opportunity to prove himself coaching me. He had the opportunity. But he preferred to be the biggest fish in a much less competitive pond. And that's okay.

An additional part of the discussion in that or another thread, was my contention that Title IX is inherently unfair, because it creates left wing boundaries for who gets awarded a scholarship and who doesn't. In OUr culture, it used to be the best, but that's no longer the case. I don't want to dredge that up again. If there are 16 men's and 16 women's scholarships in basketball, why do half of them go to women, when none of the women can compete with the men at the same school.

And that is relevant to the discussion, because it's a large part of why women's sports aren't self funding. Except for maybe women's gymnastics, you can find more talented high school boys, and most of why we go watch a game, it to watch amazing athleticism. Auriemma's game is played below the rim. High school JV boy's games, aren't.

That doesn't mean that there shouldn't be women's funded. But equal funding is patently unfair. So is the discussion about great coaching. Again, I love Patti Gasso. And I love watching any team in any sport, including 12 year olds, playing any game with great fundamentals, and admire any coach who teaches them well enough for their team to execute that way in any game, but especially in championship pressure.

In any college endeavor, you only want the groups of your choosing, to get advantages that you prescribe. Then you name call those who disagree. You subdivide the best when it suits you, and dividing when it suits you. That sound incredibly hypocritical, to me.
Your first sentence here says it all, as you spin you wheels and flail away repeating the same stuff ad nauseam.
When I watch OU's softball team or UConn's women's team, I watch players perform....I don't focus on their gender, or childishly get hung up on the fact that if they played men they would get defeated badly. That fact is as irrelevant as it is unfair in terms of watching a sport....any sport...to be entertained.
If Coale's team had the same track record as Auriemma's team over the past 20 years, I doubt if we would be having this exchange....and no silly and unnecessary mention would be made of how the Norman High School boys' team could beat Coale's team.
As far as Gasso's team goes, it's a quality product (the likes of which I haven't seen before in women's softball) and fun to watch. Her team plays at a higher level than other teams. Gasso's a great coach and mentor for her players. Like all women's sports, it's refreshing to see players perform without post game taunts and confrontations and who can act responsibly when they're not playing their sport.

Your first sentence here says it all, as you spin you wheels and flail away repeating the same stuff ad nauseam.
When I watch OU's softball team or UConn's women's team, I watch players perform....I don't focus on their gender, or childishly get hung up on the fact that if they played men they would get defeated badly. That fact is as irrelevant as it is unfair in terms of watching a sport....any sport...to be entertained.
If Coale's team had the same track record as Auriemma's team over the past 20 years, I doubt if we would be having this exchange....and no silly and unnecessary mention would be made of how the Norman High School boys' team could beat Coale's team.
As far as Gasso's team goes, it's a quality product (the likes of which I haven't seen before in women's softball) and fun to watch. Her team plays at a higher level than other teams. Gasso's a great coach and mentor for her players. Like all women's sports, it's refreshing to see players perform without post game taunts and confrontations and who can act responsibly when they're not playing their sport.
I can't help but wonder what Sherri Coale or Geno Auriemma would say about their sport and/or accomplishments being undermined by the idea that high school boys could easily "cream" their teams??

Reactions: Huntin Hard
I can't help but wonder what Sherri Coale or Geno Auriemma would say about their sport and/or accomplishments being undermined by the idea that high school boys could easily "cream" their teams??
I guess it depends if they are into that type of thing... :confused::confused::confused:

Wrestlers lost Bedlam at home 33-3.

The men went to Madison, Wisconsin and lost 90-70.

Perhaps more unacceptable, Coale's women lost today to ORU, 74-67. Sherri started the game with Manning and Ortiz on the bench, and it looked like a disaster. To me, Edwards wouldn't be in the rotation for seven or eight other teams in the conference and today, she started at point guard.

Thank god that Gymnastics starts soon.
Wrestling has been a wreck for too many years.
Basketball (men's and women's) - I give them a break. We are lucky to have great coaches. For a long while I thought MBB would be in the dumpster forever (see wrestling above).
Gymnastics - I wish all OU teams met the standards of gymnastics.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
Wrestling has been a wreck for too many years.
Basketball (men's and women's) - I give them a break. We are lucky to have great coaches. For a long while I thought MBB would be in the dumpster forever (see wrestling above).
Gymnastics - I wish all OU teams met the standards of gymnastics.

I was hoping the new wrestling coach might get us going in the right direction. We weren't competitive against OSU.

Lon has men's hoops headed in the right direction.

I like Sherri. I like what she does in her overall leadership. But I'm mystified by the offensive decision for this season. She said there would be some issues with early offensive new scheme growing pains. But this should be the year. with multi year returning starters. Instead, they're struggling with small school teams that aren't very good, and losing to ORU. Teaching a group dominated by seniors a new scheme seems a little curious.

OU Gymnastics are great. But there aren't 30 men's teams. There are more on the women's side.

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT