ADVERTISEMENT

Some Thoughts After First Week of Spring Practice (3/27)

it does seem like that is a magic number. I thought of julio jones but looked him up and he's 220. Most of the 6' 4 freak athletes are playing in the nba. So many tall guys just don't have the body control and fluidity.
For decades Harold Carmichael was the only guy 6'4"+ that found legitimate NFL success at WR, & of course there were many many reasons as to why that was. As @Dahlly pointed out the lower end of the spectrum you find guys like AJ Green who was 211 lbs (& actually only 6'3" & 5/8's) or Ed McCaffrey who was 210-215 lbs. With frames that large those guys will naturally carry more weight, but I also think it speaks to their ability to be physical with DB's.

Here are the sizes of the better big WR's as they entered the NFL.

Calvin Johnson: 6'5" 239 lbs
Brandon Marshall: 6'4.5" 229 lbs
Vincent Jackson: 6'4.75" 241 lbs
Plaxico Burress: 6'5.5" 231 lbs
Ed McCaffrey: 6'5 210 lbs
Cris Collinsworth: 6'5" 192 lbs
Harold Carmichael: 6'8" 225 lbs

Below are some of the guys who are currently playing. And truthfully the 6'4"+ WR has really emerged in the age of the spread offense & change in PI rules.

Mike Evans: 6'4.75" 225 lbs
Mike Williams: 6'4" 218 lbs
Michael Pittman: 6'4" 223 lbs
Chase Claypool: 6'4" 229 lbs
Allen Lazard: 6'4.75" 227 lbs

@Spacemon25 I am curious to get your take on Jayden Gibson’s frame & growth potential & where you think he ends up physically?

I have never seen a big framed WR like Gibson or Anderson that was below 215-220 lbs that managed to be a really effective player.

I think being big completely 100% comes down to the type of strength you carry in your legs.

When it comes to being elusive enough to run clean routes and create separation, there is diminishing return on height because it changes your levers. In order to make up for this, you’ve got to have tremendous structural integrity and additional mass to create enough power to overcome having such long levers.

When you look at guys who are that height, they generally tend to have more success as TE’s by putting on the additional weight.

The issue comes when you’re facing corners who are that ideal 5’11-6’2” range and have much quicker feet because of the build of their body.

I will say, it seems that Gibson already has very strong feet with good quickness and his long speed for his height also helps him.

I just think at those heights, you’ve truly got to be a rare exception to have elite success. Especially in the NFL

Reactions: Kriepy and sooner55
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT