ADVERTISEMENT

So in light of the new team’s progress to

One...the Monkeys were not even a band.
Two...Nelson was one of early rock and roll's greatest performers. From 1957-62 he had 30 top 40 hits, second most behind Presley.
The Monkey's wernt a band? This I never knew. Just a television sideshow I suppose. Fun fact though.......Willie and Ricky were cousins. 😁

Two...Nelson was one of early rock and roll's greatest performers. From 1957-62 he had 30 top 40 hits, second most behind Presley.
Because it was enhanced on his parents' weekly longtime tv show. In thise his ability as a singer-performer was ridiculed in the industry. It wasn't until Garden Party, that he was given any credibility as a singer-performer. He like the Monkees was a creation of television.

Because it was enhanced on his parents' weekly longtime tv show. In thise his ability as a singer-performer was ridiculed in the industry. It wasn't until Garden Party, that he was given any credibility as a singer-performer. He like the Monkees was a creation of television.
Nelson’s music career was spawned from his parent’s TV show, but Nelson’s legacy has always been seen in the same light as all the early rock and roll performers of the 1950’s and early 1960. And it should be. His music was never regarded as the product of a television sitcom.
The Monkeys tried to ride the coat tails of the bands from the so-called “British Invasion” (The Beetles, Rolling Stones, Dave Clark Five, The Seekers, Herman’s Hermits and others) but never achieved the status of those groups. They were seen as British band wannabes at least by the majority of my peer group.

Fitty reminded me that another odd billing from those days was Led Zep who opened for Iron Butterfly in those crazy 60s
Can you give me a run down of that show? In yer own words of course. Be gentle, I was only 2 at the time but, nevertheless. 😁

Just Google led zep opening for iron butterfly. I was a bit too young for that one too but it was later than I thought

The number of Top 40 Hits is often not derived from the talent level of the performer and is much more about marketing and air time. There are hundred of examples (The Monkeys).

Reactions: iasooner2000
The number of Top 40 Hits is often not derived from the talent level of the performer and is much more about marketing and air time. There are hundred of examples (The Monkeys).
That has nothing to do with Nelson....and that statement applies much more to contemporary performers as far as I'm concerned.
But if music by The Monkeys or the Partridge Family is your preference, fine.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
That has nothing to do with Nelson....and that statement applies much more to contemporary performers as far as I'm concerned.
But if music by The Monkeys or the Partridge Family is your preference, fine.
My point was that the Monkeys were a talentless group that was over hyped and sold to the masses through marketing ploys. It has everything to do with Nelson. Nelson was being marketed to agents at 17 based on his TV persona not his music talents. He got started doing covers of past hits. I am definitely not a fan of Ricky Nelson or anyone of that genre mostly because "my" music awareness was peaked a few years later. When I bring that era to mind The Everly Brothers tops my memory. To each his own.

My point was that the Monkeys were a talentless group that was over hyped and sold to the masses through marketing ploys. It has everything to do with Nelson. Nelson was being marketed to agents at 17 based on his TV persona not his music talents. He got started doing covers of past hits. I am definitely not a fan of Ricky Nelson or anyone of that genre mostly because "my" music awareness was peaked a few years later. When I bring that era to mind The Everly Brothers tops my memory. To each his own.
Agree somewhat with you, but I think Nelson, however much marketed from his years on the Ozzie and Harriet Show, had legitimate talent on par with the other performers of that era.
FWIW: Rolling Stone had Nelson ranked in its "Top 100 Greatest Artists of All Time", tied with Tom Petty at #91. (The Monkeys were not ranked).
Bottom line as you said, "to each his own".

Now, back to the original thought provoking inspiration of this thread. Did I miss something somewhere ia? Gasso got somethin goin on with the program? Are trannys involved? Or are we referring to Vanderbilt's scream for attention with Sarah Fuller's comical attempt at playing a "man's" game?

Maybe I’m ‘sun downing’
I did botch my ancient password which is the reason for my new username in the recent past

Last edited:
Now, back to the original thought provoking inspiration of this thread. Did I miss something somewhere ia? Gasso got somethin goin on with the program? Are trannys involved? Or are we referring to Vanderbilt's scream for attention with Sarah Fuller's comical attempt at playing a "man's" game?
May be only a matter of time before "trannys" will be widely accepted in womens sports.....maybe there should be men's, women's and "tweeners" (don't forget to tuck in your nuts) categories.

May be only a matter of time before "trannys" will be widely accepted in womens sports.....maybe there should be men's, women's and "tweeners" (don't forget to tuck in your nuts) categories.
Dang almighty, what's this world coming to? And the "straight" men allowing it to happen.

The "straight" men allowing it to happen are politicians. Politicians will do anything to get a vote, probably including blow jobs. Votes are more important than anything, including their dignity.
Sad, but true. Truest definition of politics. Gotta remember though, many of them politicians ain't straight. Or should I say "been found out". Yet. Imo. Combine them with the twinkies producing alot of our television shows, commercials, newscasts to an entire nation? The influence is more incredible than we realize. Imho.

It wasn’t my first concert, but you’ll never see a show again like the first Texxas Jam. Aerosmith, Heart, Nugent, Journey, Van Halen, Head East, Atlanta rhythm Section, Eddie Money, Frank Marino. Holy Cow!

I was there with my girlfriend, now wife. I remember it being so hot they got out the fire hoses.

ADVERTISEMENT