ADVERTISEMENT

Skip Bayless

It's called being a fan. Fans complain its what they do. QB throws a pick six fans complain, RB fumbles and fans complain. Off Coordinator calls a crappy play that gets stuffed, fans complain etc etc etc. Not a single fan will watch a game and not complain about some aspect of the game they are watching be it play calling, lack of effort, kicking game, uniforms the team is wearing, color of the gatorade to the fans not being very loud at the game etc etc. The ones that need to get a grip are the ones that think a coach at any school cannot be scrutinized. I think Saban said it best to his team this year before the season started, "What have you done for me lately" It is the nature of the beast that is College Football today and if a high profile Coach that is making millions does not know that then he must have his head in the sand.
I read in the paper this morning that some LSU fans have started a gofundme acct to raise money for Les Miles buyout and if they do not reach that dollar amount of 1 million then they are going to give it to flood victims in Louisiana. It also said outside of Les Miles winning the Nat Title in 07 with Sabans players he really had no major wins at Ok State except against OU which is not considered a Great Feat anymore. Coaches are judged on wins and losses and Bob lost one last Saturday, had he won there would still be those that would complain, its just the way it is in College Football. How anyone could have watched that farce last Saturday and not want better is beyond me.

Just stop making sense, already. There's no place for that here. :)

I just wanna say thank God I don't have a 9 - 5 job so I can sit here in the middle of the day and argue football with you good people :)

Reactions: Oklabama
BR this is the clip I was referring to. I have to say I agree with most of what he had to say
And I don't disagree with alot of the points that Skip makes in that video either. But I also think Joel Klatt made some great points as well in why you do NOT get rid of Bob Stoops at this point. Most of what Skip is talking about happened in the years prior to Bob overhauling his assistants that surround him. No doubt what we saw on Saturday looked like the "same ole, same ole" with what we have seen from Bob over the years. But also I love the point Klatt makes in after the loss to Texas last year, Bob get things on the right track and won out to make the playoff. The same can happen this year. The changes Bob has made to his staff the last few years led to a great season last year, and the same can happen this year. But I do agree that what we saw on Saturday does chip away at the confidence a bit. Not sure how Bob could stand there and let his offense fail like it did. Klatt is right on the money in that video in his questioning Riley's gameplan. But let's see how the season plays out, and then debate on the season as a whole instead of basing it on just one game.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
I'd like Bob to call the first down plays and let Riley take over after that.

CT I don't believe any of us know who is available and how good they would be. There are probably numerous hungry assistants out there that may come in and do a great job. Who out there even knew that much about Stoops when he was hired??? IMO, to think that the University of Oklahoma can't go out and get some of the best coaches available is selling ourselves short.

You have to be joking. You really believe some hot shot assistant coach could even touch what Bob Stoops has going for this program? He's recruiting California, Texas, Florida and east and west, and all the connections he's built up. Do you really think some asst could walk in and match that?

And one thing on Tom Herman. He's playing with mostly Kelvin Sumlin players and Sumlin players were mostly Briles player recruits. Herman has most of the team from Houston. Maybe the hottest recruiting bed in Texas. I'll give him Ed Oliver, DT, as he's best recruit.

Last edited:
And I don't disagree with alot of the points that Skip makes in that video either. But I also think Joel Klatt made some great points as well in why you do NOT get rid of Bob Stoops at this point. Most of what Skip is talking about happened in the years prior to Bob overhauling his assistants that surround him. No doubt what we saw on Saturday looked like the "same ole, same ole" with what we have seen from Bob over the years. But also I love the point Klatt makes in after the loss to Texas last year, Bob get things on the right track and won out to make the playoff. The same can happen this year. The changes Bob has made to his staff the last few years led to a great season last year, and the same can happen this year. But I do agree that what we saw on Saturday does chip away at the confidence a bit. Not sure how Bob could stand there and let his offense fail like it did. Klatt is right on the money in that video in his questioning Riley's gameplan. But let's see how the season plays out, and then debate on the season as a whole instead of basing it on just one game.
I agree. We will have to wait and see how things go...should should have a pretty good idea after Ohio State though.

You have to be joking. You really believe some assistant coach could even touch what Bob Stoops has going for this program? He's recruiting California, Texas, Florida and east and west, and all the connections he's built up. Do you really think some asst could walk in and match that?

And one thing on Tom Herman. He's playing with mostly Kelvin Sumlin players and Sumlin players were mostly Briles player recruits. Herman has most of the team from Houston. Maybe the hottest recruiting bed in Texas. I'll give him Ed Oliver, DT, as he's best recruit.
Does this mean that Stoops won with Blakes players? Do I think an assistant could come in and do as well if not better than Stoops? Yes, I think the right person could.

Reactions: BillyRay
Skip can say whatever he wants just as the local sportswriter here that bashes OU every chance he gets does. I used to let it bother me but not so much anymore. Just as I TRY not to complain when OU loses a game, not a thing I can do to change any of the things I mentioned. I have been a poster here for the better part of 13 yrs and have never called for Bob to be fired and won't, not my call to make but I do want things to get better as any fan would that loves their team. Anyway let em say what they will, if it bothers you then maybe there is some truth to it that some do not want to hear. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Plainosooner
Does this mean that Stoops won with Blakes players? Do I think an assistant could come in and do as well if not better than Stoops? Yes, I think the right person could.

Okay. Let's see. Lincoln Riley was the offense assistant coach of the year and Brent Venebles won it on defense. Brent was crucified on this board and Lincoln hasn't been the most popular guy this week. Name some names...

Reactions: Plainosooner
You have to be joking. You really believe some hot shot assistant coach could even touch what Bob Stoops has going for this program? He's recruiting California, Texas, Florida and east and west, and all the connections he's built up. Do you really think some asst could walk in and match that?
So I take it you also felt this way when Bob Stoops was hired??

Different situation. We couldn't go down back then.
We might be perpetual jokes once or twice a year, but we still have a long way to go down.

Different situation. We couldn't go down back then.
We might be perpetual jokes once or twice a year, but we still have a long way to go down.
Makes no difference in what the level of the program was at the time. It has to do with expectations for a program with the history of OU. I remember plenty of people were NOT thrilled when Bob was hired since he wasn't that "big name" guy that could come in and win immediately. Well....we all saw how that worked out. Lol

0% of the posters here are chief executives of a multi-million dollar operation like Stoops.

But almost everyone thinks they have better judgement than he does.

That may be true but we are customers of that multi million dollar operation. If they can call me and ask for money then I should be able to complain a little about what I am buying. Just like any customer that buys an inferior product it is their right to complain. I am not arguing with anyone just trying to make a point.

Reactions: LongTimeSooner
LOL, exactly!!! People shouldn't bash on Herman for winning with Sumlin's players, when Bob's lone natty was on the shoulders of a mostly John Blake recruited team. It's one of those things better left unsaid....;)

I guess some of you forget how many players Stoops moved to different positions. Some of you forget many of the players would have signed with OU if Hillary would have been the coach and of course, let's forget about Josh Heupel and Derrick Strait.

Reactions: JConXtsy
I'm not here to promote or defend Skip. However, like him or not, he is capable of making good arguments as to why Stoops should be on the hot seat. To hear him list off defeat after defeat in meaningful big games was alarming. His has a losing bowl record, his teams have pulled numerous no shows in nationally televised games, and he continues to have those same issues year after year. I can understand the occasional lapse, but it has honestly become predictable. Does anyone really have any faith in us when we face a big time opponent in the playoffs, bowl, or NC game? I don't. After Clemson last year (and the year before) I just almost expect us to lay an egg. Does Stoops not bare some of the blame for this? Should we do like Plaino and blame the players? Don't both deserve some criticism? Do we need new blood?

I think it's because we are in Oklahoma and just don't have a great number of high school players that are worth a damn. I'm fairly certain that's the problem because OU just can't get enough good players from other states like Texas. I'm pretty sure that's it. :rolleyes:

I thought it was against the board rules to call out a certain/or any poster in a post/thread.

Like you called out BillyRay and me as the flavor of the month guys. Lol. Just joking with you. No big deal, K2C. That didn't bother either of us. You can use that on me whenever as long as you know it's not true. Boomer!

Reactions: BillyRay
I guess some of you forget how many players Stoops moved to different positions. Some of you forget many of the players would have signed with OU if Hillary would have been the coach and of course, let's forget about Josh Heupel and Derrick Strait.
Ya Stoops brought in some key players and moved player around. But the core foundation of that national title team were recruiting by Blake. Maybe you forgot about that? Heck, Roy Williams was recruited out of California loooong before any "cali trio" or "california pipeline" was established by Stoops years later.

Of course not. We had Blake. We have Stoops today. Why can't you guy's name a assistant coach that could replace Bob. Strange I haven't got any answers.......
It's not up to us to predict what assistant coaches will become great coaches in the years and decades to come. But to think that great coaches ends with the current generation is pretty ridiculous.

I replied to direct posts that you and Billy made. I didn't bring up another poster. Did I. Against the rules................

Ya Stoops brought in some key players and moved player around. But the core foundation of that national title team were recruiting by Blake. Maybe you forgot about that? Heck, Roy Williams was recruited out of California loooong before any "cali trio" or "california pipeline" was established by Stoops years later.

So what, the Herman team was recruited by Sumlin. Sumlin succeeded with Briles recruits. Just a fact, except for Ed Oliver, one great player..

Does anyone find it strange that NOT ONE poster can name an assistant coach that would be better than Bob Stoops? All of them have some generic name from some program we haven't heard them say.....

Does anyone find it strange that NOT ONE poster can name an assistant coach that would be better than Bob Stoops? All of them have some generic name from some program we haven't heard them say.....

No body would have a clue. Just as who would have known if Bob would have been better than say Bobby Bowden instead of Jimbo Fisher, but I think he would have. Any coordinator is a risk. If Bob were to retire, I have a few guys I would want OU to consider that I believe would come, but there's no reason to talk about that because Bob isn't about to retire anytime soon. If he does, I will be surprised.

Besides, who other than Coach Tom Osborne left game on top meaning ending with five good years and going 13-0 the final year. Not many if any at all.

You do think that replacing Boo Blake is a little different task than replacing Bob Stoops. Right? I mean that there is even a discussion about replacing Stoops who is 11-3 in his last 14 games, is close to absurd. And I know you're defending the "decision" to keep him, but having this discussion is more than a little strange.

I remember three years ago, when Gary Patterson was licking his wounds after seasons of 4-8 and 7-6 his first two years in the XII. The 7-6 included five conference losses, including two touchdowns at home to Iowa State. Since then, he's split one conference title, lost a three touchdown lead in Waco that cost him an outright and spot in the final four, and last year got waxed in Stillwater. Yet I see him ranked ahead of Stoops by those who rank college coaches. And nobody would consider a TCU fan sane, if they were calling for Patterson's head. BTW, Bob is 4-2 against him all time.

Talking about BStoops not being OUr coach after a season opening loss is pretty close to nonsense. He owes us 14-0. Well not really.

No actually what I find strange is you want people here to keep a running list of the "hot names" in the coaching community as if we are university presidents or athletic directors who may need to make a head coaching hire someday.
Look, I could spend a ton of time researching who are some hot commodity names in coaching circles, come up with 10 names and post them here. You would find ways to belittle every name that gets mentioned. And then some years from now some of them could turn out to be some of the best coaches in the country. But at present day, of course none are going to have the career credentials that Bob Stoops has right now. So it's a waste of time to even put the effort into finding you names.

You do think that replacing Boo Blake is a little different task than replacing Bob Stoops. Right? I mean that there is even a discussion about replacing Stoops who is 11-3 in his last 14 games, is close to absurd. And I know you're defending the "decision" to keep him, but having this discussion is more than a little strange.

I remember three years ago, when Gary Patterson was licking his wounds after seasons of 4-8 and 7-6 his first two years in the XII. The 7-6 included five conference losses, including two touchdowns at home to Iowa State. Since then, he's split one conference title, lost a three touchdown lead in Waco that cost him an outright and spot in the final four, and last year got waxed in Stillwater. Yet I see him ranked ahead of Stoops by those who rank college coaches. And nobody would consider a TCU fan sane, if they were calling for Patterson's head. BTW, Bob is 4-2 against him all time.

Talking about BStoops not being OUr coach after a season opening loss is pretty close to nonsense. He owes us 14-0. Well not really.

Nobody is talking about Stoops not being our coach after 1 opening loss and you know it. Its because of a pattern that has developed over the Stoops tenure. Teams not showing up, terrible game plans, being unmotivated, and just flat out being embarrassed on the national stage time after time. I personally would not be devastated if a change was made soon. Oklahoma football will continue.......we were a football powerhouse long before Stoops and we will continue to be without him.

Reactions: Oklabama

Well the reason this thread has gone the direction of talking about Bob's replacement, is it started with Skip's comments, and has simply gone down that road. That doesn't mean I want Bob replaced today. But I'm also comfortable with the discussion, as it's inevitable that Bob WILL in fact hang it up someday and OU will be looking for a new coach. There is no way in telling how many years from now that will take place, but I don't see the harm in simply discussing the process. But some seem to think there are no coaching prospects out there that will ever be able to take over for Bob and attain the level he has. I think otherwise.

Case in point, look where Nick Saban was when Bob was hired at OU. He was finishing up a very lackluster 6-6 season at Michigan State and I'm quite certain virtually no one would have guessed he would turn into the success he is today.
And of course Urban Meyer was a wide receivers coach at Notre Dame when Bob was busy winning a national title in 2000. But here we are 15+ years later and Urban has now won titles at 2 different programs since then.

So to think there are NOT examples like these waiting in the wings of coaching circles is absurd. Just because posters on here can't predict the future and name those coaches is irreverent.

OKAY. I guess I'm going to have to get back on the premium board to see who these posters are that are wanting Bob's job because I've seen nothing like that here on the free board. You keep talking about crap that hasn't happened here. Why?

Reactions: veritas59
Nobody is talking about Stoops not being our coach after 1 opening loss and you know it. Its because of a pattern that has developed over the Stoops tenure. Teams not showing up, terrible game plans, being unmotivated, and just flat out being embarrassed on the national stage time after time. I personally would not be devastated if a change was made soon. Oklahoma football will continue.......we were a football powerhouse long before Stoops and we will continue to be without him.

That's not true. Again, check out the premium board. And the stuff about whether or not we should keep him long term, because he can't get us another NC, in the opinion of some, is out there on both boards.

That's not true. Again, check out the premium board. And the stuff about whether or not we should keep him long term, because he can't get us another NC, in the opinion of some, is out there on both boards.
At present, I don't think Bob will ever get #8 for OU football. But the seasons going forward, Bob could get OU football get back to a level that makes change my mind again. Last season when OU ran the table after the Texas game to get into the playoff, I was pretty dang close to thinking OU was at that level again and Bob could maybe be on the cusp of another run. But then Clemson just completely dominated OU for the 2nd straight season. That was a HUGE wakeup call that while OU is a top dog in the Big XII, it is no doubt behind the curve when it comes to elite programs in other conferences. There is no doubt a considerable gap. Then of course Saturday happens and OU gets throttled by an up and coming Houston team, and really much of that confidence built last season has sort of come back down to reality.

But the season isn't over. Bob's teams historically get considerably better as the season progresses. So Bob could make some tweaks and run the table the rest of the season. And hopefully, the Houston debacle will be a distant memory.

You said some were wanting to replace Bob due to one opening season loss. Not true Plaino for reasons I've already explained.

I'm not a premium board member, but I've not seen anyone on here call for him to be fired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT