ADVERTISEMENT

Skip Bayless

barkingwater2000

Sooner starter
Jan 12, 2012
Anyone else hear the discussion about OU on Skips new show on Fox? Called him Big Game Boob...ouch. I know many don't like Skip, but I have to agree with him on many of his points.

Well I honestly haven't listened to him enough to make a determination. I know I liked him more than Stephen A. Anyways, when he starts naming off big loss after big loss over the last 15 years then I tend to agree with him. I doubt any other big name program has had as many major disappointments than OU under Stoops. Its really hard to argue against it. Skip said that Stoops was still living off the 2000 championship which I think has some truth

Well I honestly haven't listened to him enough to make a determination. I know I liked him more than Stephen A. Anyways, when he starts naming off big loss after big loss over the last 15 years then I tend to agree with him. I doubt any other big name program has had as many major disappointments than OU under Stoops. Its really hard to argue against it. Skip said that Stoops was still living off the 2000 championship which I think has some truth

Then go cheer for another team and put some diaper cream on your butt rash. It'll be okay once you stop complaining.

I actually like to listen to opposing opinions. Homerism is boring

Homerism is bad. So is being upset about being a CFB 1%er.

Bayless says whatever he needs to say to sell radio ads. If you think you're expanding your mind by listening to his 'hot takes', then geeze louize, you gettin played.

Bash away at me for saying this but until Bob has a couple or 3 losing seasons he won't be going anywhere anytime soon unless he retires and in a weak conference having multiple losing seasons probably won't happen for OU. Yeah I said it. I don't want the man fired I just want to see some changes, whatever it takes. What I saw last Sat made me sick and it is occuring way too often. We as fans have the luxury of complaining when things don't go right and the on top of the world feeling when they do. Nobody should be bashed for their opinion because not a single opinion on this board will alter anything that Stoops and company do. This team could still make a run, stranger things have happened. BOOMER

Bash away at me for saying this but until Bob has a couple or 3 losing seasons he won't be going anywhere anytime soon unless he retires and in a weak conference having multiple losing seasons probably won't happen for OU. Yeah I said it. I don't want the man fired I just want to see some changes, whatever it takes. What I saw last Sat made me sick and it is occuring way too often. We as fans have the luxury of complaining when things don't go right and the on top of the world feeling when they do. Nobody should be bashed for their opinion because not a single opinion on this board will alter anything that Stoops and company do. This team could still make a run, stranger things have happened. BOOMER

No reason to bash you 67. All opinions should be welcomed. The game Saturday, mostly from a coaching perspective, was a joke. I just wonder how many more of these head scratcher games we can take.

Skippy grew up in OKC I believe and never misses an opportunity to bash anything related to OU. He is kind of the National Enquirer member of national sports electronic media. He was brought to Dallas nearly four decades ago at age 26, to enhance the Dallas Morning News as their lead daily sports columnist. And in a backwards way, it worked. He was despised there. Three years later, he was invited to join the competition, the Dallas Times Herald, where Blackie Sherrod was the long time icon writer. Likely the best columnist in the state. But Blackie hated him worse than those at the DMN did.

Sherrod, who died four months ago at age 96, had been a fixture at the DTH for decades, but moved to the Morning News to get away from Bayless, and those who hired him. Blackie's going to the DMN was the beginning of the end for the Times Herald. And so Bayless, who loves to do exposes` about stuff that gives him a spotlight, but doesn't serve much other purpose, led to the demise of the DTH by going there, and driving away the best thing in that newspaper: Sherrod's column, especially his Sunday bits and pieces column that always began: Scattershooting, while wondering whatever happened to ... followed by some person you used to think about but hadn't in a while.

It was the first thing many of us read on Sunday mornings. And Skippy went on to national celebrity. He was a Silkie who went to Vanderbilt. Born John Edward he had his name legally changed to Skip, the name his father called him from birth. It didn't help his credibility.

And I can tell you that Troy Aikman was ready to leave the Fox Sports booth, almost immediately after Fox announced Skippy's hiring. Skip leaves behind enemies just about everywhere he goes. I think it's the smell of slime.

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
Skippy grew up in OKC I believe and never misses an opportunity to bash anything related to OU. He is kind of the National Enquirer member of national sports electronic media. He was brought to Dallas nearly four decades ago at age 26, to enhance the Dallas Morning News as their lead daily sports columnist. And in a backwards way, it worked. He was despised there. Three years later, he was invited to join the competition, the Dallas Times Herald, where Blackie Sherrod was the long time icon writer. Likely the best columnist in the state. But Blackie hated him worse than those at the DMN did.

Sherrod, who died four months ago at age 96, had been a fixture at the DTH for decades, but moved to the Morning News to get away from Bayless, and those who hired him. Blackie's going to the DMN was the beginning of the end for the Times Herald. And so Bayless, who loves to do exposes` about stuff that gives him a spotlight, but doesn't serve much other purpose, led to the demise of the DTH by going there, and driving away the best thing in that newspaper: Sherrod's column, especially his Sunday bits and pieces column that always began: Scattershooting, while wondering whatever happened to ... followed by some person you used to think about but hadn't in a while.

It was the first thing many of us read on Sunday mornings. And Skippy went on to national celebrity. He was a Silkie who went to Vanderbilt. Born John Edward he had his name legally changed to Skip, the name his father called him from birth. It didn't help his credibility.

And I can tell you that Troy Aikman was ready to leave the Fox Sports booth, almost immediately after Fox announced Skippy's hiring. Skip leaves behind enemies just about everywhere he goes. I think it's the smell of slime.
I understand that he is critical of OU, but he claims to be a Sooner fan. I don't understand the contradiction. Unless, you can be critical AND be a fan at the same time? :)

100% in agreement. Excellent post. Sooner fans should want and expect Bob to succeed. He's not going anywhere as long as he wins 10 a year, IMO. I don't like that number as a top end, but to your point, fans' input won't matter unless the fan is a big booster. I mean BIG.

Agree for the most part, although I'm at a point where I'm thinking things at OU are about as good as they'll ever get....and I'm NOT faulting Stoops in this scenario, because I feel he's as good a coach as OU can have these days. (I know that seems like a left-handed compliment along the lines of "you know, for a fat girl you don't sweat much").
I can't see changes with any kind of positive traction happening without OU having some kind of a "Cinderella" season like the one 16 years ago. 2013 and 2015 were seasons I thought for sure were stepping stones to Alabama-Ohio State type levels of excellence, but whatever success occurred was not sustained.
I believe OU has fallen under a ceiling of being good to very good along with being fun to watch, but always getting derailed somehow by an upset loss or a postseason failure.
My question to any fan wanting Stoops replaced (whom I have not seen on this board) is if Stoops is let go, who would be an upgrade ? If you replace Stoops or any coach, you must aim for someone who is an upgrade over the previous coach. Realistically, what AVAILABLE coach represents a better option than Stoops ????

Agree for the most part, although I'm at a point where I'm thinking things at OU are about as good as they'll ever get....and I'm NOT faulting Stoops in this scenario, because I feel he's as good a coach as OU can have these days. (I know that seems like a left-handed compliment along the lines of "you know, for a fat girl you don't sweat much").
I can't see changes with any kind of positive traction happening without OU having some kind of a "Cinderella" season like the one 16 years ago. 2013 and 2015 were seasons I thought for sure were stepping stones to Alabama-Ohio State type levels of excellence, but whatever success occurred was not sustained.
I believe OU has fallen under a ceiling of being good to very good along with being fun to watch, but always getting derailed somehow by an upset loss or a postseason failure.
My question to any fan wanting Stoops replaced (whom I have not seen on this board) is if Stoops is let go, who would be an upgrade ? If you replace Stoops or any coach, you must aim for someone who is an upgrade over the previous coach. Realistically, what AVAILABLE coach represents a better option than Stoops ????

That's pretty good CT, synapses firing. Stick with that brand of coffee.;)
Truly, and this applies to all the football factories...the stars have to align perfectly, then, with a lot of luck, you might get to hoist the hardware.

I'm not one for showing Stoops the door at this point, but there are zero available coaches out there that have a PROVEN record to bring to OU if Bob were to hang it up. But I also think that's a very short-term way to look at things. When JoeC hired Bob, he didn't go out looking for a well established and proven head coach with a ton of credentials. He hired a hot-shot defensive coordinator that had a solid record of success everywhere he went. Nobody knew at the time Bob would be as successful as he has turned out. So if OU were to be searching for a coach, why not follow the same road? Instead of looking for a coach that is proven, look for another coach that is up and coming. Think back a handful of years ago, and how many people on here had heard of Tom Herman?? But the guy has done an incredible job at Houston, and no doubt more elite programs will be knocking down his door. Right now there are assistant coaches waiting to get their chance to run their own programs that we will learn their names in coming years, yet we have no idea who they are at present day.
I'm not privy to knowing such things. But I can guarantee you JoeC keeps an eye out for such things in case he is ever blindsided with Bob deciding he wants to hang it up and JoeC has to fire up a coaching search.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
That's pretty good CT, synapses firing. Stick with that brand of coffee.;)
Truly, and this applies to all the football factories...the stars have to align perfectly, then, with a lot of luck, you might get to hoist the hardware.
Hey...are you trying to use my "stars and planets align" quote I've been using lately?? Get your own lingo fitty!!! Lol :p:D

There are some hot shot coordinators out there but it would be a total crap shoot. When OU took a chance on Bob Stoops there were no guarantees and really we got lucky. VERY LUCKY. That happens from time to time but there is no reason to take such a gamble now. When Bob was hired it really wasn't much of a risk given the sorry coaching OU had after Gibbs. I know, some will question Gibbs but I don't think Gibbs was that bad given what he had to deal with. Bob will be at OU until he decides to leave because he can win enough games here in the Big 12 to satisfy his bosses. I really believe he will. I don't know how well he would fare if OU went to the SEC but it would be interesting. I'd like to think he would surprise us.....pleasantly. Having said all this I still believe I have the absolute right to question him whenever he losses to a team he should beat BECAUSE of the product he and his coaches put on the field. I never criticized Fairbanks for losing to Nebraska in the GOTC. I never criticized Bob when loss to Florida. I think their teams gave it all they had and left nothing on the field. When OU losses like that, even if there are a few hiccups, I'm satisfied. The Tennessee game is just about my favorite Bob Stoops win. They never gave up. That's all I can ask from a coach and his team. Actually I think that's not too much to ask. But that's just me.

Reactions: runningback43
We as fans have the luxury of complaining when things don't go right and the on top of the world feeling when they do. Nobody should be bashed for their opinion

Go ahead and complain all you want, since that is a 'luxury'. But in the next breath, you can't cry foul if someone calls you out for it.

Some of you need to get a grip. If your career was judged by such high-stakes, none of you - NONE of you - would hold up under your own scrutiny.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
CT I don't believe any of us know who is available and how good they would be. There are probably numerous hungry assistants out there that may come in and do a great job. Who out there even knew that much about Stoops when he was hired??? IMO, to think that the University of Oklahoma can't go out and get some of the best coaches available is selling ourselves short.

Some of you need to get a grip. If your career was judged by such high-stakes, none of you - NONE of you - would hold up under your own scrutiny.

Ha. I'd argue that most of us have jobs that hold us to way more scrutiny. Gross negligence, like passing 21/27 times on first down when you have arguably the best 2 backs in the country, will get you immediately canned where I work.

I'm not calling for Bob Stoops head, but I'm also not going to crawfish like a lot of people on here. If his head rolled tomorrow, I wouldn't bat an eye. I'd look forward to the excitement of change.

Being an optimistic Stoops fan is like expecting a wife not to bitch. You're going to be disappointed.

What I want to know is how Skip and Rick Bayless fell from opposite sides of the tree? Skip - pompous, polarizing jerk that doesn't understand most of what he's speaking. Rick - such a calm, respectful and polite individual that is considered the best Mexican cuisine chef in the world.

What I want to know is how Skip and Rick Bayless fell from opposite sides of the tree? Skip - pompous, polarizing jerk that doesn't understand most of what he's speaking. Rick - such a calm, respectful and polite individual that is considered the best Mexican cuisine chef in the world.
I suspect that Skip knows he needs to be outrageous at times in order to be entertaining. He is in the entertainment industry.

Reactions: JConXtsy
I suspect that Skip knows he needs to be outrageous at times in order to be entertaining. He is in the entertainment industry.

I put Skip in the same category as Hannity and Chris Mathews along with most of the political talking heads. It's show business pure and simple regardless what the audience is. I don't watch much of those types of broadcast for very long. I have very little tolerance for those simply trying to make splash.

I understand that he is critical of OU, but he claims to be a Sooner fan. I don't understand the contradiction. Unless, you can be critical AND be a fan at the same time? :)

Skippy claims to be a lot of things. Go find somebody that worked with him at either Dallas newspaper who likes him, and then maybe we can have a conversation. Skippy is a fan of Skippy. Everything he says is designed to enhance his career. Truth seldom has much to do with it.

Skippy claims to be a lot of things. Go find somebody that worked with him at either Dallas newspaper who likes him, and then maybe we can have a conversation. Skippy is a fan of Skippy. Everything he says is designed to enhance his career. Truth seldom has much to do with it.
I'll get right on that

Not long ago the guys on The Ticket were talking about Skip and his time on the station. None of them really had any glowing words to describe the guy.

I'm not here to promote or defend Skip. However, like him or not, he is capable of making good arguments as to why Stoops should be on the hot seat. To hear him list off defeat after defeat in meaningful big games was alarming. His has a losing bowl record, his teams have pulled numerous no shows in nationally televised games, and he continues to have those same issues year after year. I can understand the occasional lapse, but it has honestly become predictable. Does anyone really have any faith in us when we face a big time opponent in the playoffs, bowl, or NC game? I don't. After Clemson last year (and the year before) I just almost expect us to lay an egg. Does Stoops not bare some of the blame for this? Should we do like Plaino and blame the players? Don't both deserve some criticism? Do we need new blood?

I thought it was against the board rules to call out a certain/or any poster in a post/thread.

I'm not here to promote or defend Skip. However, like him or not, he is capable of making good arguments as to why Stoops should be on the hot seat. To hear him list off defeat after defeat in meaningful big games was alarming. His has a losing bowl record, his teams have pulled numerous no shows in nationally televised games, and he continues to have those same issues year after year. I can understand the occasional lapse, but it has honestly become predictable. Does anyone really have any faith in us when we face a big time opponent in the playoffs, bowl, or NC game? I don't. After Clemson last year (and the year before) I just almost expect us to lay an egg. Does Stoops not bare some of the blame for this? Should we do like Plaino and blame the players? Don't both deserve some criticism? Do we need new blood?
Dude don't get me wrong I do agree with you here. I think overall, Skip is a total boob, but I'm not going to lie and say I don't ever agree with him. At times I do agree with his views on things. But there are times I literally can't imagine how he believes some of the crap he says. So I guess I just balance the two sides when I listen to him.
Btw, what show was it he railed off this commentary about OU? I would like to see if I can find it online and listen to what he says to see if I overall agree or disagree with him.

Go ahead and complain all you want, since that is a 'luxury'. But in the next breath, you can't cry foul if someone calls you out for it.

It's called being a fan. Fans complain its what they do. QB throws a pick six fans complain, RB fumbles and fans complain. Off Coordinator calls a crappy play that gets stuffed, fans complain etc etc etc. Not a single fan will watch a game and not complain about some aspect of the game they are watching be it play calling, lack of effort, kicking game, uniforms the team is wearing, color of the gatorade to the fans not being very loud at the game etc etc. The ones that need to get a grip are the ones that think a coach at any school cannot be scrutinized. I think Saban said it best to his team this year before the season started, "What have you done for me lately" It is the nature of the beast that is College Football today and if a high profile Coach that is making millions does not know that then he must have his head in the sand.
I read in the paper this morning that some LSU fans have started a gofundme acct to raise money for Les Miles buyout and if they do not reach that dollar amount of 1 million then they are going to give it to flood victims in Louisiana. It also said outside of Les Miles winning the Nat Title in 07 with Sabans players he really had no major wins at Ok State except against OU which is not considered a Great Feat anymore. Coaches are judged on wins and losses and Bob lost one last Saturday, had he won there would still be those that would complain, its just the way it is in College Football. How anyone could have watched that farce last Saturday and not want better is beyond me.

Reactions: BillyRay
Ha. I'd argue that most of us have jobs that hold us to way more scrutiny. Gross negligence, like passing 21/27 times on first down when you have arguably the best 2 backs in the country, will get you immediately canned where I work.

I'm not calling for Bob Stoops head, but I'm also not going to crawfish like a lot of people on here. If his head rolled tomorrow, I wouldn't bat an eye. I'd look forward to the excitement of change.

Being an optimistic Stoops fan is like expecting a wife not to bitch. You're going to be disappointed.

0% of the posters here are chief executives of a multi-million dollar operation like Stoops.

But almost everyone thinks they have better judgement than he does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT